Catholicism offshoot dissolves after ...

Catholicism offshoot dissolves after scandals | The Columbus Di...

There are 70 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 4, 2009, titled Catholicism offshoot dissolves after scandals | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

An independent Catholic denomination with its global headquarters in Columbus has disbanded, having been torn apart after publicity about the criminal backgrounds of its top leader and a former priest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Got It Right Again

Columbus, OH

#27 Dec 4, 2009
Liberty wrote:
Seems like there are plenty of perverts and shady people in all these denominations.
I always remember the famous saying attributed to the Rev. Ike in Detroit. "Money is the root of all evil so send me that evil."
And the 60's song "Pastor, why should I give you 10 dollars when you have $10,000 (Rolex) on you wrist."
Doesn't much matter if it is the Catholic Church, Jim and Tamy Faye, Jimmy Swaggert, Oral Roberts kid, the family enterprise at Harvest Temple and many others; they should do more praying and set a true example rather than being involved in greed and sinful behavior.
You forgot to mention the Reverend Jereimah Wright. Barack Obama's mentor. He prays and sets an example: "god---- America"
Got It Right Third Time

Columbus, OH

#28 Dec 4, 2009
Daniel Fischer wrote:
I was taught (as a christian) that GOD was all forgiving. Why can't christians adopt the same philosophy?
You web address is Lima, Ohio. You were taught Christianity in the Lima Pub Lick Skools? One of the worst skool systems in the state?

Christians are forgiving. The problem is that intolerant secular progressives are not.
Hand Model of Noster

Zanesville, OH

#29 Dec 4, 2009
All that is Gold does not glitter...No less than a thousand people living with AIDS in Columbus probably owe their lives and well being to the work of this splendid, foot soldier for the Christ we should all aspire to be. In 2008 his organization helped prepare and serve over 100,000 meals for the homeless and poor. I sat with him on most Sunday mornings from 7 until 11am making the sandwiches and preparing snacks. They run a food pantry and two homes for the disabled. This is what I know about Phillip Zimmerman. He would give you the shirt off his back, if you were in need.
Bishop Laki n

Media, PA

#30 Dec 4, 2009
TimH wrote:
1) One can not be Catholic without recognizing the role of the Pope. That is central to the faith.
2) Homosexuality is CLEARLY defined as a sin in the bible.
1) Rome is only a branch of the Catholic Church - by your statement, the many National Churches, as well as the Catholic Churches within the IC/OC/OCC worldwide would not be Catholic. Perhaps you may want to edify yourself.
2) Again, you are clearly not learned in Scripture.
phdave73

Grove City, OH

#31 Dec 5, 2009
I prefer going to, "Our Lady of Perpetual Motion" Parish, Nah! na, na, na, nah! na, na, na, nah, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, nah!
still thankfull

Columbus, OH

#32 Dec 5, 2009
As I watched my father passing the last 2 yrs of his life,one thing I will always remember is the comfort and assistance provided to him by Mr.Zimmerman and others from the Church.
I myself am not a religious person but I saw the effect that this had on my father. And regardless a of past transgressions, I will remain thankful to Father Phil.
irishsmile

Glide, OR

#33 Dec 5, 2009
There is no such animal as an independent Catholic denomination. That is a non sequiter. I have no problems with those that leave or schism from the Catholic Church;they no longer believe so they leave. But any pretense that these folks are practicing Catholics is a total scam.
tough guy

Canfield, OH

#34 Dec 5, 2009
Never heard of these people till lnow but not disappointed they have disbanded. There should be no "power struggle" period.
Pancho

Lytle, TX

#35 Dec 5, 2009
Joseph wrote:
<quoted text>
we can be thankful without attributing it to some sort of super daddy god, of course you see yourself made in god's image than the reality that you've made god in yours.
Thankful for what exactly? Being an accident on an accidental planet in an accidental universe. You can only be thankful as an atheist if you give in to the fantasy that there is something to be thankful for. Pick your fantasy, thankful for our intentional existance from a creator or thankful for being an accident. Doesn't sound like you have much room to critize another's belief in a creator.
Angry Young American

Columbus, OH

#36 Dec 6, 2009
Robert wrote:
You know Small Minded, there is probably a reason why you don't see Atheists doing stuff like that. How about the fact that very Atheist organization has to fight to just stay alive from christian zealots, Atheists don't have the advantage of millions of blind followers with check books and most Atheist groups do not declare everything tax free. Not to mention the christians still have a lot of making up to do for all those lives they have destroyed in the last 2000 years. And how do you pay to do all those works of kindness? You rob people of money by offering then heaven only to give it to people you put in hell.
FIGHT TO STAY ALIVE?! You're living in as big of a fantasy world as the most credulous Christian is.
Hand Model of Noster

Zanesville, OH

#37 Dec 6, 2009
Belief in a creator is tenuous ... and merely a construct of your mind, implanted there by your momma, or your culture, but never borne of direct experience. You don't have to believe a flower is beautiful, it just is, and so is a waterfall and a sunset too. You get more out of life from simply noticing and deeply contemplating their profoundness, while you are living, accident or not, than you will ever get from wasting time looking for someone or something to thank for their heavenly-ness. There is no shame or penalty to living now. Be thankful for your life, but don't expect another. Be considerate then, and appreciate the lives of others while you can.
Judy Jones

O Fallon, MO

#38 Dec 6, 2009
Friday, Dec. 4, 2009
Clergy sex victims want probe of AIDS agency
It’s headed by a convicted felon and Catholic bishop
A support group for clergy sex abuse victims is asking federal, state and local officials to investigate a Columbus non-profit headed by a convicted felon and Catholic bishop who welcomed at least one child molesting cleric into his denomination.
Leaders of the Chicago-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) are making the public plea in light of new disclosures that Bishop Phillip George Zimmerman of the Reformed Catholic Church pled guilty in Michigan four years ago for defrauding the government in connection with a phony scholarship and tuition scheme.
Zimmerman heads Pater Noster House in Columbus, a nonprofit organization that serves those with HIV and AIDS.
“We have no direct knowledge of financial misdeeds by Zimmerman in Ohio, but given his recent criminal actions, we think it would be wise for his agency’s funders both public and private institutions and individuals to take a serious, close look,“ said Judy Jones of St. Louis, SNAP’s Ohio Valley director.“If he pled guilty to stealing from the government, moved elsewhere, hid his crime from his colleagues, and started heading another non-profit, that’s troubling and suspicious.”
Allegations about Zimmerman’s wrong-doing first surfaced in a SNAP news conference two weeks ago in Columbus. The self help group disclosed that he let a convicted child molesting priest officiate at a mass in Columbus in October, and ordained a former Roman Catholic deacon as a bishop despite his being arrested on abuse allegations.
SNAP also urged
--- the denomination to more carefully ‘vet’ candidates for church positions in the future, and
--- anyone who may have been harmed by either of known sex offenders to come forward and get help.
One of the criminals Zimmerman welcomed, Rev. Sean-Michael Lyons (also known as Michael S. Lyons), is a registered sex offender, having been convicted in 1985 on ten counts of lewd acts with young boys. He was sentenced to 12 years in state prison in New Jersey. Last year, he was sent back to prison for failing to register under the provisions of Megan’s Law.
http://www.njherald.com/story/news/01LYONS-we...
http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/08/form...
Yet, in October, Lyons was invited and participated as a priest at a special church event in Columbus.
The other sex offender, Patrick Batuyong, an ex-Roman Catholic deacon, was made bishop in the denomination in 2006. In 1993, he was arrested in Fayette County GA on six counts of aggravated sexual abuse, solicitation of juvenile prostitution, criminal abuse, and criminal sexual assault. His victims were minors. The court file is now sealed. In 2006, Zimmerman made Batuyong bishop of the denomination’s southeastern region.
Judy Jones

O Fallon, MO

#40 Dec 6, 2009
Friday, Dec. 4, 2009

Clergy sex victims want probe of AIDS agency

It’s headed by a convicted felon and Catholic bishop

A support group for clergy sex abuse victims is asking federal, state and local officials to investigate a Columbus non-profit headed by a convicted felon and Catholic bishop who welcomed at least one child molesting cleric into his denomination.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_ne...

Leaders of the Chicago-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) are making the public plea in light of new disclosures that Bishop Phillip George Zimmerman of the Reformed Catholic Church pled guilty in Michigan four years ago for defrauding the government in connection with a phony scholarship and tuition scheme.

Zimmerman heads Pater Noster House in Columbus, a nonprofit organization that serves those with HIV and AIDS.

“We have no direct knowledge of financial misdeeds by Zimmerman in Ohio, but given his recent criminal actions, we think it would be wise for his agency’s funders both public and private institutions and individuals to take a serious, close look,“ said Judy Jones of St. Louis, SNAP’s Ohio Valley director.“If he pled guilty to stealing from the government, moved elsewhere, hid his crime from his colleagues, and started heading another non-profit, that’s troubling and suspicious.”

Allegations about Zimmerman’s wrong-doing first surfaced in a SNAP news conference two weeks ago in Columbus. The self help group disclosed that he let a convicted child molesting priest officiate at a mass in Columbus in October, and ordained a former Roman Catholic deacon as a bishop despite his being arrested on abuse allegations.

SNAP also urged
--- the denomination to more carefully ‘vet’ candidates for church positions in the future, and
--- anyone who may have been harmed by either of known sex offenders to come forward and get help.

One of the criminals Zimmerman welcomed, Rev. Sean-Michael Lyons (also known as Michael S. Lyons), is a registered sex offender, having been convicted in 1985 on ten counts of lewd acts with young boys. He was sentenced to 12 years in state prison in New Jersey. Last year, he was sent back to prison for failing to register under the provisions of Megan’s Law.

http://www.njherald.com/story/news/01LYONS-we...
http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/08/form...

Yet, in October, Lyons was invited and participated as a priest at a special church event in Columbus.

The other sex offender, Patrick Batuyong, an ex-Roman Catholic deacon, was made bishop in the denomination in 2006. In 1993, he was arrested in Fayette County GA on six counts of aggravated sexual abuse, solicitation of juvenile prostitution, criminal abuse, and criminal sexual assault. His victims were minors. The court file is now sealed. In 2006, Zimmerman made Batuyong bishop of the denomination’s southeastern region.
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#41 Dec 6, 2009
Got It Right Again wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to mention the Reverend Jereimah Wright. Barack Obama's mentor. He prays and sets an example: "god---- America"
you are a grade a moron with your reich wing bs if we listed all the sins of folks connected to the bushites we'd kill every forest in the world.
paul blevins

Columbus, OH

#42 Dec 6, 2009
if he lied about this then he should not be the director of pater noster house for tht means he is lieing to the state to get grants and wonder where the money is going since he has bought this church and i am sure he does not make enough at pater noster to pay the bills at the church and 30-40 people i would not think could donate enough money i always wondere how he got his money , now we know how the board should vote him out plain and simple. i worked for pater noster for over 12 yrs and we always knew where the money went , for we made sure our clients came first i dont feel like it is a good place like it used to be, so vote him out and let some one who knows how to run it do it, not some thief,,
Stephen D Goodsell

Mount Vernon, OH

#43 Dec 6, 2009
I waa sexually assualted by Fr. mike Hanrahan at St Marys Church
I was sufficocted by Fr after he was finished in the Rectory.
Now Vicar General Stephan J Moloney has pulled all my healtcare
support for survivors who like myself now must fight for what Stephan
j Moloney promised to me to cover my health Moloney lied continues
a pattern of Abusing survivors such as myself and Have s serious
life threating diagnosis. moloney strung me out for two years and
said "We owe u nothing and I can cut you off if you do not cooperate
it's a dangerous path that his self checks and judgement calls that
he makes without any transpancy ! it does place children at risk now
under their care . If msgr Moloney can lie to me he surely will lie to
future victims if his misdeeds and lies . I may pay with my life for
something he promised ! Decon Rowse " rape and molestiion of children is a debate that has lapsed ie statues had expired therby
absolving the Churches moral obligation to help
Stop abusing survivors of Child rape stop lying to everyone and
do the right thing ! Tell the Truth and protect children Now!
Mike

Columbus, OH

#45 Dec 7, 2009
Didn't Mons. Cody know about this happening too and did nothing about it? I can't believe Fr. Brosmer is still allowed to be around kids.
Lance Branberg

London, UK

#46 Dec 7, 2009
Mike when I lived in Ohio they would not listen. Time to listen now.
Jenz

Columbus, OH

#47 Dec 7, 2009
Sterling Silver wrote:
<quoted text>
I never fail to note how well people pick their posting names. This person is a case in point. Apparently he/she isn't aware of the hundreds of secular NGOs that do work for the less fortunate.
I agree with you Sterling Silver. The difference is that the NGOs don't go around using religion, or the lack there of, to do good work. They don't adertise "Christianity," to get more donations. Religious and Secular people do great things everyday. To say that only Christians do good for society is ludicrous.
Send me sunshine Ohio

London, UK

#49 Dec 7, 2009
www.clericalwhispers.blogspot.com operated by Zimmerman's irish illicit bishop Joseph Ryan, carried many 'Exclusive' inside the ranks church stories despite his strong denials.

On Wednesday clerical whispers circulated court documents concerning Zimmerman's criminal conduct. In communication through facebook it was requested that clergy support Ryan in his bid to seize and transfer power to Ireland.

Ryan who is believed bought the position of bishop for $4000, styled himself on Mr Zimmerman as a 'copy cat' leader in his attempts to operate a HIV support task force aimed at defrauding the irish State.

A decision taken to pull the reformed catholic website blocked Ryan's attempt to take complete electronic control with his accomplice bishops in the US.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 3 min yehoshooah adam 256,400
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Michael 667,948
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 4 hr Rainbow Kid 331
News Disabled man tortured by Trump-cursing group br... 12 hr Battle Tested 485
My DADDY SAYS N(EYE)GGERS PH/UCK "EVERYTHING" U... Jan 17 anne 2
News EditorialsEditorial: Archbishop Flores' legacyE... Jan 16 Father Jeremy 7
News Gays cannot enter Catholic priesthood, Pope Jan 16 Father Jeremy 12
More from around the web