What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

There are 84619 comments on the www.christianpost.com story from Apr 19, 2008, titled What Divides Catholics and Protestants?. In it, www.christianpost.com reports that:

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.christianpost.com.

Patriot

Nashville, TN

#81041 Aug 13, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
030 924 819
<quoted text>
So, you understand that not all Scripture is to be taken literally. From what you are saying it appears you are using your natural God given abilities to understand, reason, use logic,and arrive at a conclusion as to if the message is a metaphor, an allegory, is symbolic, a parable, or is to be taken literally...is that correct??
Bear with me on this....I need to know "is this correct" so I can know how to proceed. I don't want to "assume" anything..
From what you are saying it can be assumed that your answer is "correct"..I do not want to start our discussion on an assumption. If you are uncomfortable with a straight forward answer, say so...
<quoted text>
Here is a straight forward question...repeated..
So, you understand that not all Scripture is to be taken literally. From what you are saying it appears you are using your natural God given abilities to understand, reason, use logic,and arrive at a conclusion as to if the message is a metaphor, an allegory, is symbolic, a parable, or is to be taken literally...is that correct??
A straight forward answer would be "Yes, that is correct".
Or..."No, that is not correct".
I have seen neither from you yet..
YES it is correct, I answered that a few posts back
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81042 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>but obviously there are more than one spirit. some good some evil. my Bible tells us to "try the spirits". and then there isare those verses that talk about the spirits of God. you seem to be ignoring the point.
and as for those pharisees, you never did answer the question. in fact it was you that changed to the spirit[s] issue.

I know there are other spirits and God is the Father of all spirits (souls)(Numbers 27:16) but my point was about the Pharisees and Saducees (teachers of the Law) not recognizing our Passover Lamb because of their hearts not being circumsised by the Spirit that gives us access to the Father.

You my friend on the other hand are ignoring the commandments Jesus told us to keep. The only commandments or laws that were to cease are the ones concerning the worshipping system in the Jewish Temple (Hebrews 9 & 10) after the crucifixion. No one is under that part of the law since our Passover Lamb (Jesus) came. This is also the reason God would use an Empire and later on the Muslim people to occupy this area. It was to insure that no one would make the mistake of offering sacrifices for sins in the Temple again.

Now, what I hope you realize is that this does not include the law (commandments Jesus told us to keep). We uphold these laws(commandments). Plus, the law and grace CANNOT BE SEPERATED. So, you have no problem with keeping the commandments Jesus told us to keep in order to recieve the Spirit of truth (grace) and you can only do 'grace' if you have been anointed by God to completely understand the whole Bible.

John 14:17 If you love me (Jesus), keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH.

Hebrews 10:29 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted THE SPIRIT OF GRACE?

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81043 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>
and as for those pharisees, you never did answer the question. in fact it was you that changed to the spirit[s] issue.

And as for the question I did answer it. They were Jewish descendants of Israel who claimed they were childeren of Abraham and teachers of the Law. But as Romans 9:6 says " For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel." No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code (Romans 2:29).
barry

Henagar, AL

#81044 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
I know there are other spirits and God is the Father of all spirits (souls)(Numbers 27:16) but my point was about the Pharisees and Saducees (teachers of the Law) not recognizing our Passover Lamb because of their hearts not being circumsised by the Spirit that gives us access to the Father.
You my friend on the other hand are ignoring the commandments Jesus told us to keep. The only commandments or laws that were to cease are the ones concerning the worshipping system in the Jewish Temple (Hebrews 9 & 10) after the crucifixion. No one is under that part of the law since our Passover Lamb (Jesus) came. This is also the reason God would use an Empire and later on the Muslim people to occupy this area. It was to insure that no one would make the mistake of offering sacrifices for sins in the Temple again.
Now, what I hope you realize is that this does not include the law (commandments Jesus told us to keep). We uphold these laws(commandments). Plus, the law and grace CANNOT BE SEPERATED. So, you have no problem with keeping the commandments Jesus told us to keep in order to recieve the Spirit of truth (grace) and you can only do 'grace' if you have been anointed by God to completely understand the whole Bible.
John 14:17 If you love me (Jesus), keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH.
Hebrews 10:29 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted THE SPIRIT OF GRACE?
are you talking about these commandments?
Repent—Matthew 4:17
Follow Me—Matthew 4:19
Rejoice—Matthew 5:12
Let Your Light Shine—Matthew 5:16
Honor God’s Law—Matthew 5:17–18
Be Reconciled—Matthew 5:24–25
Do Not Commit Adultery—Matthew 5:29–30
Keep Your Word—Matthew 5:37
Go the Second Mile—Matthew 5:38–42
Love Your Enemies—Matthew 5:44
Be Perfect—Matthew 5:48
Practice Secret Disciplines—Matthew 6:1–18
Lay Up Treasures—Matthew 6:19–21
Seek God’s Kingdom—Matthew 6:33
Judge Not—Matthew 7:1
Do Not Cast Pearls—Matthew 7:6
Ask, Seek, and Knock—Matthew 7:7–8
Do Unto Others—Matthew 7:12
Choose the Narrow Way—Matthew 7:13–14
Beware of False Prophets—Matthew 7:15
Pray For Laborers—Matthew 9:38
Be Wise as Serpents—Matthew 10:16
Fear God, Not Man—Matthew 10:26
Hear God’s Voice—Matthew 11:15
Take My Yoke—Matthew 11:29
Honor Your Parents—Matthew 15:4
Beware of Leaven—Matthew 16:6
Deny Yourself—Luke 9:23
Despise Not Little Ones—Matthew 18:10
Go to Offenders—Matthew 18:15
Beware of Covetousness—Luke 12:15
Forgive Offenders—Matthew 18:21–22
Honor Marriage—Matthew 19:6
Be a Servant—Matthew 20:26–28
Be a House of Prayer—Matthew 21:13
Ask in Faith—Matthew 21:21–22
Bring in the Poor—Luke 14:12–14
Render to Caesar—Matthew 22:19–21
Love the Lord—Matthew 22:37–38
Love Your Neighbor—Matthew 22:39
Await My Return—Matthew 24:42–44
Take, Eat, and Drink—Matthew 26:26–27
Be Born Again—John 3:7
Keep My Commandments—John 14:15
Watch and Pray—Matthew 26:41
Feed My Sheep—John 21:15–16
Baptize My Disciples—Matthew 28:19
Receive God’s Power—Luke 24:49
Make Disciples—Matthew 28:20

or perhaps these; Mathew 19
but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

or better; love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and thy Neighbor as thyself
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81045 Aug 13, 2012

JOHN 1:36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, "Look! There is the Lamb of God!"

Revelation 5

MATTHEW 3:7 " But when John the Baptist saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"

Revelation 6:1-2

Matthew 24:1-2 Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2“Do you see all these things?” he asked.“I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

AFTER THE LAMB WAS SLAIN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jerusal... (70)

Anonomous 2 U

Mableton, GA

#81046 Aug 13, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I was convicted of the Holy Spirit at the age of about 30, that my life style was leading me straight into hell.
It took 10 years for me to be led to a point where I was born again of the Spirit of God. During those ten years, I talked with any Catholic priest who would talk to me. None could answer my questions. I made a 300 mile trip to talk to a Monsignor, who, as a priest taught me the Catechism. After listening to me for about an hour, his only words were "The answers are within you!!!!!
I finally arrived in the office of a SBC Pastor. He listened to me as the priests had...He began with my first question, by reaching for his Bible, opened it, and said "This is what God says regards your question." After about 45 minutes of my "Yes but" and his "This is what God says" he asked if I was ready to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior...I answered "yes"....and there in that office I was born again...spiritually...
He did not tell me to leave my religion...he did say to attend a church that worships Christ..He said for me to start reading my Bible beginning with John, and when I finished, to come back and talk with him. After reading through John and most of Acts, I joined the SBC church...gave my testimony and was baptized...
I wonder if you would share your questions with us?
barry

Henagar, AL

#81047 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
And as for the question I did answer it. They were Jewish descendants of Israel who claimed they were childeren of Abraham and teachers of the Law. But as Romans 9:6 says " For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel." No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code (Romans 2:29).
no, you tried to tie the pharisees into the two olive trees in Zech 4 and then claimed that it was the pharisees that were cut off from israel. i asked you if you could even find any pharisees in the OT. you have yet to answer the question.
barry

Henagar, AL

#81048 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:

MATTHEW 3:7 " But when John the Baptist saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"
Matthew 24:1-2 Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2“Do you see all these things?” he asked.“I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”
AFTER THE LAMB WAS SLAIN:
funny thing is, you can't find any Pharisees in the book of Revelation either. so obviously they will not be subject to the wrath that God brings to this world in Revelation 6
talk about context.
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81049 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>are you talking about these commandments?
Repent—Matthew 4:17
Follow Me—Matthew 4:19
Rejoice—Matthew 5:12
Let Your Light Shine—Matthew 5:16
Honor God’s Law—Matthew 5:17–18
Be Reconciled—Matthew 5:24–25
Do Not Commit Adultery—Matthew 5:29–30
Keep Your Word—Matthew 5:37
Go the Second Mile—Matthew 5:38–42
Love Your Enemies—Matthew 5:44
Be Perfect—Matthew 5:48
Practice Secret Disciplines—Matthew 6:1–18
Lay Up Treasures—Matthew 6:19–21
Seek God’s Kingdom—Matthew 6:33
Judge Not—Matthew 7:1
Do Not Cast Pearls—Matthew 7:6
Ask, Seek, and Knock—Matthew 7:7–8
Do Unto Others—Matthew 7:12
Choose the Narrow Way—Matthew 7:13–14
Beware of False Prophets—Matthew 7:15
Pray For Laborers—Matthew 9:38
Be Wise as Serpents—Matthew 10:16
Fear God, Not Man—Matthew 10:26
Hear God’s Voice—Matthew 11:15
Take My Yoke—Matthew 11:29
Honor Your Parents—Matthew 15:4
Beware of Leaven—Matthew 16:6
Deny Yourself—Luke 9:23
Despise Not Little Ones—Matthew 18:10
Go to Offenders—Matthew 18:15
Beware of Covetousness—Luke 12:15
Forgive Offenders—Matthew 18:21–22
Honor Marriage—Matthew 19:6
Be a Servant—Matthew 20:26–28
Be a House of Prayer—Matthew 21:13
Ask in Faith—Matthew 21:21–22
Bring in the Poor—Luke 14:12–14
Render to Caesar—Matthew 22:19–21
Love the Lord—Matthew 22:37–38
Love Your Neighbor—Matthew 22:39
Await My Return—Matthew 24:42–44
Take, Eat, and Drink—Matthew 26:26–27
Be Born Again—John 3:7
Keep My Commandments—John 14:15
Watch and Pray—Matthew 26:41
Feed My Sheep—John 21:15–16
Baptize My Disciples—Matthew 28:19
Receive God’s Power—Luke 24:49
Make Disciples—Matthew 28:20
or perhaps these; Mathew 19
but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
or better; love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and thy Neighbor as thyself

I think the list you used from your opinionated book missed the most important one.

MERCY---MATTHEW 9:11-13

just extra to read----James 2:12-13

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81050 Aug 13, 2012

1 John 5:3 This is love for God: to keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome,

Since: Dec 09

United States

#81051 Aug 13, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pope wants me to kneel in prayer an hour a week in front of Planned Parenthood and be poking holes in all the condoms at Walgreens. I should fabricate some kind of skewer thing to go through the whole box at once.
Perhaps Catholics aren't having enough children to provide a new generation of faithful congregants, and the unwanted children that will result from dysfunctional comdoms are needed to augment the shortfall and insure the future survival of The RCC.
Or maybe you made up the whole story about the Pope telling you to poke holes in the Trojans for sale at Walgreens.
I wonder if Church higher-ups gather and pow-wow converting the Islam Nation to Catholicism; or if any Pope has ever dared to pray for it.
Oh yeah,.... I can do naughty too.
( XX's por M.)
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81052 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>no, you tried to tie the pharisees into the two olive trees in Zech 4 and then claimed that it was the pharisees that were cut off from israel. i asked you if you could even find any pharisees in the OT. you have yet to answer the question.

No they are not in the OT. But again they were Jewish descendants of Israel who claimed they were childeren of Abraham and teachers of the Law. But as Romans 9:6 says " For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel." No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code (Romans 2:29). Stop going around the reality by changing the subject.

barry

Henagar, AL

#81053 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the list you used from your opinionated book missed the most important one.
MERCY---MATTHEW 9:11-13
just extra to read----James 2:12-13
Mathew 9:13 "but go ye and learn..." yes that is a good one.
you are making a big deal out of keeping the commandments of Jesus. so i posted a list of most of his commandments and the ones from the Ot that he told us to keep.

it really had nothing to do with becoming jewish or finding salvation in Israel.
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81054 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>funny thing is, you can't find any Pharisees in the book of Revelation either. so obviously they will not be subject to the wrath that God brings to this world in Revelation 6
talk about context.

It's interesting you cut these off to take what I said out of context:

JOHN 1:36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, "Look! There is the Lamb of God!"

Revelation 5

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81055 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>funny thing is, you can't find any Pharisees in the book of Revelation either. so obviously they will not be subject to the wrath that God brings to this world in Revelation 6
talk about context.

By the way these to veres are key to understanding the cryptic language in the Book of Revelations Chapter5 & 6:

1.) JOHN 1:36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, "Look! There is the Lamb of God!"

2.) MATTHEW 3:7 " But when John the Baptist saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"

The LAMB not only came the first time in the 1st century AD with the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 70 a.d.( ex. Matthew 24:1-2 ) several decades AFTER Jesus was slain---( Revelation 5 ) but what most religious leaders and false prophets have always failed to realize is that there are seven ( Revelation 6 ) six to date. Keep in mind also that Jesus turning six jars of water ( Revelation 17:15*) into wine ( Revelation 14:19-20*) also signified his comings ( PLEASE READ ----- JOHN 2:1-11 ). His comings in the past have been in the form of wrath which consists of major wars, famines, drought, plagues, earthquakes, natural disaters, ect. and have all taken place at different dispensations of time, starting with Jerusalem and the Temple being thrown down in 70 a.d. by the Romans. This makes Jesus' prophecies and events that follow in ( Matthew 24 )=( Mark 13 )=( Luke 21 )=( the book of Revelation ) a 2,000 year prophecy. In other words the events in ( Matt. 24 , Mark 13, Luke 21 ) and the book of Revelation don't all take place simultaneously at one single time in a distant future. They happen over a period of 2,000 years. Take World War I and II for example, where nations rose against other nations. They were just Two of the Three "Woes" spoken of in ( Revelation 8:13 = Revelation 11:14 ) and are apart of the Fifth and Sixth Seals.

barry

Henagar, AL

#81056 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
No they are not in the OT. But again they were Jewish descendants of Israel who claimed they were childeren of Abraham and teachers of the Law. But as Romans 9:6 says " For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel." No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code (Romans 2:29). Stop going around the reality by changing the subject.
ok, let's get back to the reality. what is the reality as you see it?
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#81057 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text> Mathew 9:13 "but go ye and learn..." yes that is a good one.
you are making a big deal out of keeping the commandments of Jesus.

So are you suggesting we nullify his teaching by putting our own spin on a 2,000 year old word called 'grace' or do we uphold his teachings. I'd say we uphold them.

barry wrote:
<quoted text>
so i posted a list of most of his commandments and the ones from the Ot that he told us to keep.

And since Jesus also said in ( Luke 24:27 ) that the scriptures only speak about him , and he said it before the New Testament existed, he was verifying what I am telling you.

barry

Henagar, AL

#81058 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way these to veres are key to understanding the cryptic language in the Book of Revelations Chapter5 & 6:
1.) JOHN 1:36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, "Look! There is the Lamb of God!"
2.) MATTHEW 3:7 " But when John the Baptist saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"
The LAMB not only came the first time in the 1st century AD with the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 70 a.d.( ex. Matthew 24:1-2 ) several decades AFTER Jesus was slain---( Revelation 5 ) but what most religious leaders and false prophets have always failed to realize is that there are seven ( Revelation 6 ) six to date. Keep in mind also that Jesus turning six jars of water ( Revelation 17:15*) into wine ( Revelation 14:19-20*) also signified his comings ( PLEASE READ ----- JOHN 2:1-11 ). His comings in the past have been in the form of wrath which consists of major wars, famines, drought, plagues, earthquakes, natural disaters, ect. and have all taken place at different dispensations of time, starting with Jerusalem and the Temple being thrown down in 70 a.d. by the Romans. This makes Jesus' prophecies and events that follow in ( Matthew 24 )=( Mark 13 )=( Luke 21 )=( the book of Revelation ) a 2,000 year prophecy. In other words the events in ( Matt. 24 , Mark 13, Luke 21 ) and the book of Revelation don't all take place simultaneously at one single time in a distant future. They happen over a period of 2,000 years. Take World War I and II for example, where nations rose against other nations. They were just Two of the Three "Woes" spoken of in ( Revelation 8:13 = Revelation 11:14 ) and are apart of the Fifth and Sixth Seals.
your understanding of the book of revelation seems to be a hybred combination of Seventh Dayers and Jw's.

“Land of Entrapment”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#81059 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 5
barry likes to be an idiot. You have shown much patience. He is like a Hindi, they never give up, twisting and deflecting and arguing different things amongst themselves. He doesn't get what you are saying. Cannot grasp it...
barry

Henagar, AL

#81060 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 5
i cut what off? you said;
"MATTHEW 3:7 " But when John the Baptist saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"

you were the one who has been trying to use the pharisees to explain your understanding. you are the one here who is using John the baptist to try and tie the pharisees to Revelation 6.

the pharisees are long gone well before any interpretation of Revelation 6.

i'm just pointing out that probably there is no textual connection

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Monkey8778 637,925
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 55 min Shamma 248,364
The catholic church, taught Hitler to hate jews... (Apr '10) 1 hr Hans 13
Saint of the Day thread (May '10) 11 hr MichelleMC 2,730
News Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... (Feb '15) May 2 nanoanomaly 1,965
News Claims against teacher resurface (Oct '06) May 2 Fed up 166
Is my Catholic Baptism valid? May 1 Redeemed 3
More from around the web