Them 'Damned' Catholics

Them 'Damned' Catholics

There are 137 comments on the Free Republic story from Jun 13, 2013, titled Them 'Damned' Catholics. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Throughout the Church’s history, it has warred with Islam. Yet, it has nothing to offer us today. This is the typical answer I get when I discuss Christian history with many Evangelicals ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 Jun 13, 2013
from Free Republic:

"The one million dollar question that no one can answer ... is this: Why did God choose Catholics to stop Islam in its tracks in all the major battles intended to destroy Christendom? Anyone who has the answer, please step forward.

"What do most spirit-filled evangelicals know about the Battle of Lepanto, Battle of Tours, The Battle of Vienna, and The Battle of Malta?

"Had the ‘damned’ Catholics not fought the Battle of Tours, all of Europe would have been Muslim today, like in Asia Minor. It would have been the end of Christianity, as we know it. Today, Turkey (Byzantium) is 99% Muslim and looks very likely to produce the Antichrist while Evangelicals still think that Antichrist and the Harlot is the Roman Catholic Church."
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#2 Jun 14, 2013
Islam hates anybody that is actually willing to stand up to it. And why should I blame them? If I wanted to take the world over, I would be pissed too. It reminds me of Sccoby Doo where the criminal always says at the end, "and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids".

Since: Jun 13

Montrose, PA

#3 Jun 15, 2013
The reason God chose the Catholic Church to stop the militaristic spread of the evil rligion of islam is because Christ Himself founded the Church. Some of the members of the Orthodox Church also aided in the holy endeavour against the murdering hordes of islam. Vlad Tepes (also known as Dracula) of Transylvania in Romania is still considered an hero in his homeland. We should remember the Orthodox Churches are sister churches with the Catholic Church and share valid Apostolic Succession and valid Sacraments.
more truth

Crawfordville, FL

#4 Jun 15, 2013
There weren't enough Protestants back in those days to mount a huge Protestant campaign.

Some Protestants are annoyed at what they call Catholic idolatries and homage to Mary.
more truth

Crawfordville, FL

#5 Jun 15, 2013
It is true that they don't fight idolatry enough imho.

Montrose, PA

#6 Jun 15, 2013
The Roman Catholic Church does not commit idolatry. God alone is adored and worshipped (Latin = latria).Mary the Mother of God is given spacial honour or veneration (Latin = hyper-dulia). The saints are hnoured or venerated (Latin = dulia). Just as most Christians would ask another to pray for them Catholics ask those who have passed on to also pray for them seeing as we are "surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses". Catholics look at statues and holy pictures to remind them of these heroes of the faith just as people look at pictures of loved ones and even sometimes speak to their loved ones when doing so.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#7 Jun 15, 2013
In Turkey the non-Muslims are starting to stand up against the tyranny of Muslims rule.
I wish them well.
more truth

Crawfordville, FL

#8 Jun 15, 2013
anglicanusepapa wrote:
The Roman Catholic Church does not commit idolatry. God alone is adored and worshipped (Latin = latria).Mary the Mother of God is given spacial honour or veneration (Latin = hyper-dulia). The saints are hnoured or venerated (Latin = dulia). Just as most Christians would ask another to pray for them Catholics ask those who have passed on to also pray for them seeing as we are "surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses". Catholics look at statues and holy pictures to remind them of these heroes of the faith just as people look at pictures of loved ones and even sometimes speak to their loved ones when doing so.
I used to live in S america and the church just wasn't speaking out enough against the proliferation of idol worship like Maximon etc. Recently they did come out against La Santa Muerte, but to me they are lax. They don't seem to make any effort against voodoo in Haiti either.

“Tell it as it is.”

Since: Jun 12

Australia

#9 Jun 15, 2013
anglicanusepapa wrote:
Compare the 10 commandments in the Catholic catechism with those in Bible.

The Catholics have dropped the second and split the tenth in half to even up the number again.

Don't believe me, check for yourself.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#10 Jun 15, 2013
Old Pom wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholics have dropped the second and split the tenth in half to even up the number again.
Why not just show us?
Eric

Wildomar, CA

#11 Jun 15, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
from Free Republic:
"The one million dollar question that no one can answer ... is this: Why did God choose Catholics to stop Islam in its tracks in all the major battles intended to destroy Christendom? Anyone who has the answer, please step forward.
"What do most spirit-filled evangelicals know about the Battle of Lepanto, Battle of Tours, The Battle of Vienna, and The Battle of Malta?
"Had the ‘damned’ Catholics not fought the Battle of Tours, all of Europe would have been Muslim today, like in Asia Minor. It would have been the end of Christianity, as we know it. Today, Turkey (Byzantium) is 99% Muslim and looks very likely to produce the Antichrist while Evangelicals still think that Antichrist and the Harlot is the Roman Catholic Church."
The Catholics were also behind the Spanish Inquisition, in which millions of Protestants were killed Bloody Mary Queen of Scots was Catholic she searched out Protestants Reformers and had them executed she also had her cousin Jane Grey killed. The Catholics were also in charge of St. Bartholomew's Eve in Paris France many Protestants were killed in that Massacre Catholics killed Men, Women, and children without mercy. So yes I do believe that The Catholic Church has a huge weight of guilt on its head...

Ashburn, VA

#12 Jun 15, 2013
Old Pom wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need to check it out I did that many years ago. I know all the false fundamentalist protestant arguments, I used to be one. Perhaps you should check out what Catholicism really teaches for yourself and stop relying on second hand information from self appointed preachers who have made themselves their own little popes.
Eric

Wildomar, CA

#13 Jun 15, 2013
anglicanusepapa wrote:
The reason God chose the Catholic Church to stop the militaristic spread of the evil rligion of islam is because Christ Himself founded the Church. Some of the members of the Orthodox Church also aided in the holy endeavour against the murdering hordes of islam. Vlad Tepes (also known as Dracula) of Transylvania in Romania is still considered an hero in his homeland. We should remember the Orthodox Churches are sister churches with the Catholic Church and share valid Apostolic Succession and valid Sacraments.
Who is the head of the Church according to the Bible?

Location hidden

#14 Jun 15, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text> Who is the head of the Church according to the Bible?
The imagery and symbolism of marriage is applied to Christ and the body of believers known as the church. These are those who have trusted in Jesus Christ as their personal savior and have received eternal life. In the New Testament, Christ, the Bridegroom, has sacrificially and lovingly chosen the church to be His bride (Ephesians 5:25-27). Just as there was a betrothal period in biblical times during which the bride and groom were separated until the wedding, so is the bride of Christ separate from her Bridegroom during the church age. Her responsibility during the betrothal period is to be faithful to Him (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:24). At the Second Coming of Christ, the church will be united with the Bridegroom, the official "wedding ceremony" will take place and, with it, the eternal union of Christ and His bride will be actualized (Revelation 19:7-9; 21:1-2).

Are you gay Eric?
Is your pastor Gay?
History: Baptist Church Ordains Openly Gay Man
May 18, 2012 by HRC staff

This post comes from HRC Religion & Faith Program Coordinator Joanna Blotner:

Historic news out of Kentucky this month: Maurice "Bojangles" Blanchard will be ordained on May 27, 2012. We don’t typically blog about ordinations around here but this is not your typical ordination occasion. Bojangles has been called to ministry by Louisville's Highland Baptist Church and will be ordained as an out, married, gay man .

Location hidden

#15 Jun 15, 2013
Eric, Are a member of this Lesbian Baptist Church?

Baptist Church Embraces Lesbian Minister

By BRIAN LEWIS
Staff Writer

January 26,2003

BELOW: The Rev. April Baker greets churchgoers after service at Glendale Baptist Church.

When the Rev. April Baker became a Southern Baptist minister more than a decade ago, she knew she would have trouble in the job market.

She'd graduated from one of her denomination's top schools, Southeastern Baptist Seminary in Wake Forest, N.C. But she was a woman. About a year later, though, Baker confronted something about herself she'd largely ignored — her sexual orientation. That brought a crisis of faith.

''I grew up in a very conservative Christian environment,'' she said.''Homosexuality wasn't even discussed, but you knew it was wrong.''

I wonder how lesbian's sleep in the pastor's bed?

Montrose, PA

#16 Jun 15, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text> Who is the head of the Church according to the Bible?
Christ is the head of the Church. Christ founded the Church on Peter. Each successor to Peter (pope) is the Vicar of Christ. A vicar is someone who represents a greater personage. The Church is the Bride of Christ and is not just a spiritual union of believers, but is also the visible body of Christ's followers on earth with a visible leader appointed by God. The Church is perfect (without spot or blemish), but since it is made up of sinful men there will always those in the Church that will bring shame and dishonour.
more truth

Crawfordville, FL

#17 Jun 15, 2013
anglicanusepapa wrote:
<quoted text>Christ is the head of the Church. Christ founded the Church on Peter. Each successor to Peter (pope) is the Vicar of Christ. A vicar is someone who represents a greater personage. The Church is the Bride of Christ and is not just a spiritual union of believers, but is also the visible body of Christ's followers on earth with a visible leader appointed by God. The Church is perfect (without spot or blemish), but since it is made up of sinful men there will always those in the Church that will bring shame and dishonour.
Fine. Now do something about Maximon and several other crazy things going on.
Eric

Wildomar, CA

#18 Jun 15, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>The imagery and symbolism of marriage is applied to Christ and the body of believers known as the church. These are those who have trusted in Jesus Christ as their personal savior and have received eternal life. In the New Testament, Christ, the Bridegroom, has sacrificially and lovingly chosen the church to be His bride (Ephesians 5:25-27). Just as there was a betrothal period in biblical times during which the bride and groom were separated until the wedding, so is the bride of Christ separate from her Bridegroom during the church age. Her responsibility during the betrothal period is to be faithful to Him (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:24). At the Second Coming of Christ, the church will be united with the Bridegroom, the official "wedding ceremony" will take place and, with it, the eternal union of Christ and His bride will be actualized (Revelation 19:7-9; 21:1-2).
Are you gay Eric?
Is your pastor Gay?
History: Baptist Church Ordains Openly Gay Man
May 18, 2012 by HRC staff
This post comes from HRC Religion & Faith Program Coordinator Joanna Blotner:
Historic news out of Kentucky this month: Maurice "Bojangles" Blanchard will be ordained on May 27, 2012. We don’t typically blog about ordinations around here but this is not your typical ordination occasion. Bojangles has been called to ministry by Louisville's Highland Baptist Church and will be ordained as an out, married, gay man .
I am aware of the Gay movement and am aware that they do infiltrate churches and even Baptist Churches but look these pastors who are gay and who were ordained are wicked sinful and bound for hell. I can give another story of a missionary to Honduras who abused some orphans he lost everything his wife, his children, and his ministry he was my uncle in law and now today he is in prison and rightfully so... I am completely anti Homosexuality in any form and I am not gay and my pastors are not gay... As far as I can tell you don't believe that the Pope is the Head of the Church or am i reading wrong?

“Tell it as it is.”

Since: Jun 12

Australia

#19 Jun 15, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not just show us?
Checking things out for oneself can lead down some interesting paths, learning about subjects other than the one in question.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...

Compare the commandments from Exodus to the Catholic ones.

Note. I do not belong to any religious group, just read a lot.

Location hidden

#20 Jun 15, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text> I am aware of the Gay movement and am aware that they do infiltrate churches and even Baptist Churches but look these pastors who are gay and who were ordained are wicked sinful and bound for hell. I can give another story of a missionary to Honduras who abused some orphans he lost everything his wife, his children, and his ministry he was my uncle in law and now today he is in prison and rightfully so... I am completely anti Homosexuality in any form and I am not gay and my pastors are not gay... As far as I can tell you don't believe that the Pope is the Head of the Church or am i reading wrong?
Christ is the head of all christian churches.
You need to read this to understand the Pope's role as the Vicar of Christ.

To understand the role of the Pope today, let us first examine the Biblical foundations and historical development of the papal ministry. From that basis, we will be able to explain the Pope's role in the government of the Church and his teaching office.

1. Biblical

a. The Twelve Apostles:

At the beginning of his public life, Jesus Christ chose twelve men as his Apostles. He gave them the mission to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal (Lk. 9:2). They were the foundation of His Church

The Church is apostolic in a triple sense: She was built and remains on the foundation of the Apostles (Eph 2:20; Acts 21:14) the witnesses chosen and sent by Christ;. Secondly, she preserves and transmits the teaching of the Apostles and finally she continues to be taught, sanctified and directed by the Apostles, until the return of Christ, through the ministry of bishops, those who succeeded the Apostles in their pastoral responsibility.

The role of the Apostles as the witnesses of the Resurrection of Jesus and the foundation of His Church is unique and is not transmitted. However, Jesus promised to be with His Church until the end of time (Mt 28:20). The spread of the Gospel until the end of time was the divine mission entrusted to the Church. To ensure the faithful transmission of the apostolic witness, the Apostles instituted successors. These successors, the order of bishops, are the continuing presence of the pastoral ministry of the Apostles in the Church.

b. Peter:

Among the Twelve Apostles, Simon Peter holds the first place. Among the disciples of Christ, Peter is given the greatest prominence in the New Testament accounts of the Church's origins. Jesus gave to Peter a unique mission. Based on a revelation of God to Peter, Peter proclaimed that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Jesus then declared that Simon was Peter, the "Rock", and on this rock Jesus would build His Church which would prevail over the powers of Hell (Mt. 16:18). Peter received the mission to guard the integrity and purity of the faith in Jesus Christ, and to strengthen his brothers and sisters in that faith.

The authority conferred by Jesus on Peter is known as the "power of the keys" (Mt. 16:19). The government of the Church - that is, authority to absolve sins, to make doctrinal judgements and to make disciplinary decisions - was given to the Apostles in general. Peter alone was given the "power of the keys". Jesus also gave to Peter a specific pastoral ministry - "feed my sheep" (Jn 21:15-17). Thus, Peter was given a unique responsibility in church government and in pastoral ministry.

2. Dogmatic Development

a. Bishops:

Jesus Christ, in calling the Twelve, gave them the form of a "college", that is a stable group, and chose Peter from among them as their head. Just as Peter and the other Apostles form, by Christ's initiative, one apostolic college, so the Pope, as successor of Peter and Bishop of Rome, and the other bishops form one episcopal college. The pastoral ministry of Peter and the other Apostles is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 11 min Dragnet52 230,247
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Mychihuahuawillbite 603,130
News Four more men accuse priest of sexual abuse (Jan '08) 18 min Simpatico 1,506
Explaining John's Revelation. 1 hr Nsk14 14
News A scandal deferred (Apr '06) 17 hr Redeemed 3
heathern 19 hr Redeemed 2
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 22 hr Chimney1 420
More from around the web