Bookkeeper and diocese settle lawsuit

The Diocese of Bridgeport and a former Darien church bookkeeper on Monday reached a settlement in a lawsuit stemming from a former priest's embezzlement. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pat Rick Starr

North Brunswick, NJ

#1 Sep 14, 2009
Now maybe we can put this behind us all. Though i'm sure all you Catholic haters will be weighting in. Here's some advice: worry about your place of worship.
TooBad

Windham, CT

#2 Sep 15, 2009
The Diocese's response is a lot of "Dancing With The Stars" or better yet "Foot Loose" gobbledygook. I'm not a Catholic hater...but come clean and be honest with your parishioners. Rev. Fay did wrong by taking the money and the Diocese wanted to keep it on the down low.
No Justice

Stratford, CT

#3 Sep 15, 2009
All I can say is the Catholic church paid off another one.
John Croke

Spring Hill, FL

#4 Sep 15, 2009
Lets all give Bishop Egan a big round of Thank Yous for torturing the people of St. Johns for 15 years.
My wife was the Director the Pre-School when Fr. Judy replace Fr. Boten. Three weeks after he arrived she told me he was stealing but couldn't prove it. Three months later she was fired, because he was afraid of her. For the next Fifteen years she could not use St. Johns as a reference on her resume because he would lie about her. A very, very evil Man. He stole for 15 years and nobody cared.
One day I asked my two young sons if they would ever consider the Priesthood, they answered. "What and live in the Fag house with Fr. Judy." Yes, that is how the kids in Darien refered to the rectory at St. Johns. The Fag House.
Thanks again Cardinal Egan..
We should all say a prayer for Bethany D'Erario. She had to deal with an evil man, she is special. Not enough money for her. God Bless you Bethany.
John McInnis

Brooklyn, CT

#6 Sep 15, 2009
Let's just all be honest - the only reason any diocese settles any lawsuit is because there isn't a bishop in the country who wants to be subjected to cross-examination on the witness stand. Plain and simple!
Ambrose

Bronxville, NY

#8 Sep 15, 2009
How do we know that she wasn't complicit in the fraud?
easter bunny

Stamford, CT

#9 Sep 15, 2009
John Croke wrote:
My wife was the Director the Pre-School when Fr. Judy replace Fr. Boten.
Who is Father Judy?
lovely

Wallingford, CT

#10 Sep 15, 2009
The lies of the diocese continues. You can't blame the younger generation for not participating in the catholic church.
Observer

Morrisville, PA

#11 Sep 15, 2009
Ambrose wrote:
How do we know that she wasn't complicit in the fraud?
You will never know. And, it is not just becuase your an idiot.
Vox Pop

Guilford, CT

#12 Sep 15, 2009
John McInnis wrote:
Let's just all be honest - the only reason any diocese settles any lawsuit is because there isn't a bishop in the country who wants to be subjected to cross-examination on the witness stand. Plain and simple!
Neither Lori nor Egan ever want to be anywhere near a witness stand.
The last thing a "Prince of the Church" wants to do is be accountable in public under oath.
The bookkeeper took plenty of abuse for doing what everyone else but Lori - because of his prerogatives and powers - sees as the right thing.
Observer

Morrisville, PA

#13 Sep 15, 2009
John Cooke wrote,ďHe stole for 15 years and nobody cared.Ē

The Church knows where every nickel comes from; donít doubt it for a second. They understand the cash flow from the plate, donations per parish and by region intimately. If you think the Bishop was not aware of the "drop" in cash flow after Judeís appearance, well bliss is a nice place, but that thinking would require the Bishop to be an idiot or incompetent. I would argue the Bishop is neither, he is simply corrupt and taking his cut. It is reasonable to suspect that Egan is/was the Don and Father Jude was just one of his capos.

The bravery it took to blow the whistle on Jude, and possibly Egan, was and remains staggering. Desperate men do desperate things.

To the parishioners of St. Johnís and other Catholics who have suffered through this and worse, please understand that most non-Catholics recognize these incidents are not a reflection of your faith, but of the fallibility of men; men within an organizational structure susceptible to corruption. I hope this case has allowed the parishioners more control within the Church. Good luck.
Ambrose

Bronxville, NY

#14 Sep 15, 2009
easter bunny wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is Father Judy?
Who is Father Boten? St. Johns never had a priest by either of those names.
Ambrose

Bronxville, NY

#15 Sep 15, 2009
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
You will never know. And, it is not just becuase your an idiot.
Correcting your usage, the word is "you're". As well, because is spelled my way not yours. Maybe it is because you're a dumb Canadian.
Senator Johnson

Salem, CT

#16 Sep 15, 2009
These priests need to be executed for raping kids. It's a mockery of law that they always hide behind religion and get away with it.
marym

Westport, CT

#17 Sep 15, 2009
Money and sex --- the two issues the Church cannot be honest about at the moment. Both Beth and father Madden are the heros in a very old story.
church going catholic

Port Chester, NY

#18 Sep 15, 2009
Being critical of your church does not a church hater make.
Did it ever occur to the first poster than there are those who take issue with the way the Bridgeport Diocese conducts itself because of their great love for the church and its teachings?
The people commenting about leaders avoiding the witness stand is dead on right.
Vox Pop

Guilford, CT

#19 Sep 15, 2009
church going catholic wrote:
Being critical of your church does not a church hater make.
Did it ever occur to the first poster than there are those who take issue with the way the Bridgeport Diocese conducts itself because of their great love for the church and its teachings?
The people commenting about leaders avoiding the witness stand is dead on right.
Exactly.
Many had high hopes for Lori on Egan's heels.
Sadly, he has shown us his petulant side instead.
Norwalk Homeowner

Norwalk, CT

#20 Sep 15, 2009
The Bridgeport Diocese and the Mafia, have much in common, organized crime.
Sanford

Bronxville, NY

#21 Sep 15, 2009
The Church is eternal. It will be here long after you and I are gone.
kikkim

North Brunswick, NJ

#22 Sep 15, 2009
Sanford wrote:
The Church is eternal. It will be here long after you and I are gone.
AMEN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min KayMarie 542,851
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr Shamma 202,144
Catholics In Philippines Turn To Church To Cope... (Nov '13) 15 hr ELIAS IBARRA 55
Filipino bishops: We will strip Catholic status... (Aug '12) 18 hr ELIAS IBARRA 427
Claims against teacher resurface (Oct '06) Thu __a_w_a_w_ 158
Thank the Lord Thu Son of God 1
The Holy Spirit and guidance Thu Son of God 1
•••

Roman Catholic Church People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••