What does religious freedom mean?

What does religious freedom mean?

There are 836 comments on the The Washington Post story from Aug 10, 2012, titled What does religious freedom mean?. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

In the United States, Muslim women trying to maintain modesty should get female-only hours at the public pool , right? What about Wicca troops who want a chaplain of their own, even if there are only a few thousand of them in the military? And Catholic business owners who believe that contraception is killing - should they have to provide it to ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#549 Sep 20, 2012
CShine wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you addressing? Pagans in general embrace, support, and uphold religious freedom and the seperation of church and state here in the Americas. Unlike some, we have no desire to force our particular beliefs or religious ethics on all others regardless of their beliefs.
Although, Canada seems to have an edge over her southern neighbors in tolerance and support of those ideals.
I was also wondering who she was addressing.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#550 Sep 20, 2012
Religious freedom means:
freedom to practice religion
freedom to practice no religion
freedom to practice unusual religion
It does not mean freedom "from" religion.
Those who do not believe and those who do believe should receive equal and fair dealings from citizens and government reps alike.
Unfortunately, the concept has become a political punching bag by many sides. The truth has been lost in the dust of power acquisition rather than reason.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#551 Sep 20, 2012
Catholic Girl wrote:
P&P, your response
"And when they don't care or don't believe that, you attempt to force it into law, such as the issue of Birth Control and Abortion and trying to deny others the right to use those things instead of simply refusing to use them yourself. "
---
when they don't want to believe, you walk away. case closed. you are referring to the excentrics as in most religions.
you attempt to force your crap into lawless, law. as for birth control, no one is denying anyone anything. go buy the stuff yourself.
the bishops of America are only trying to keep religious freedom in America. why do you rage on these devoted people.
go worship your pagan crap. what has the pagan gods ever done for you or the welfare of others?
stay off my cloud.
Your "cloud"? What cloud, the Pagan/Wiccan forum? Guess what? Everyone has the freedom to post as we please, and if you don't like what we have to say, YOU are free to leave.

Please, do explain how an employer, imposing their religious beliefs on their employees by way of company policy and their wage packet, is NOT a violation of the employees' freedom of religion?

Not one Catholic would be forced to use BC pills.
drink The hivE

New York, NY

#552 Sep 20, 2012

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#553 Sep 21, 2012
Jumper wrote:
Is every comment I am to make be judged so harshly?
Where is your understanding? Come on,give me a scrap of human kindness.
I like you if that means anything. And I will be happy to be kind to you, tho I don't think you were referring to me.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#554 Sep 21, 2012
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
I like you if that means anything. And I will be happy to be kind to you, tho I don't think you were referring to me.
You give that old crow June what-for!And that's good reason for me.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#555 Sep 22, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>You give that old crow June what-for!And that's good reason for me.
That is nothing against you. Just because I think she's smart about a lot of things doesn't mean I dislike you at all. If you don't believe that, I'm sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. I've liked plenty of people here who don't care for each other.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#556 Sep 22, 2012
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
That is nothing against you. Just because I think she's smart about a lot of things doesn't mean I dislike you at all. If you don't believe that, I'm sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. I've liked plenty of people here who don't care for each other.
I know you are a good person.

I only ment You sure can give June reasons to rethink her view point.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#557 Sep 23, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>I know you are a good person.
I only ment You sure can give June reasons to rethink her view point.
Thanks, Jumper. The thing is, I think both you and June are very intelligent and you both present good ideas. There's no reason I can't like you both, because I do. June knows her stuff, so do you, and as in all debates, both sides are presented, and I don't think either one of you ever lie.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#558 Sep 23, 2012
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Jumper. The thing is, I think both you and June are very intelligent and you both present good ideas. There's no reason I can't like you both, because I do. June knows her stuff, so do you, and as in all debates, both sides are presented, and I don't think either one of you ever lie.
Yea,but most of my arguments are based on bull-s#it.

But somehow they mesh and counterpoint June's viewpoint.

So without understanding the subject,I have somehow masterd it!

Dammed I'm good!
The Oracle

UK

#559 Sep 27, 2012
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>The failure was yours. The fact that you cannot comprehend the lesson is not the fault of the teacher.

So you claim to be a "teacher"! Beware your ego - it will eat into your future. You may indeed view yourself as a Pagan but you have little to be proud of.
The Oracle

UK

#560 Sep 27, 2012
CShine wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot refute, so you insult. Typical.

I make no effort to refute. Your comments about 'pacifist religions' are simply the ramblings of a deluded God fearer.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#562 Sep 27, 2012
The Oracle wrote:
<quoted text>
So you claim to be a "teacher"! Beware your ego - it will eat into your future. You may indeed view yourself as a Pagan but you have little to be proud of.
I've no problems with my "ego" at all. Actually I have plenty to be proud of, first and foremost being able to laugh in the face of a False "Oracle".

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#563 Sep 27, 2012
The Oracle wrote:
<quoted text>
I make no effort to refute. Your comments about 'pacifist religions' are simply the ramblings of a deluded God fearer.
The deluded ramblings are your own. Pagans do not "fear" their gods.
Catholic Girl

United States

#565 Sep 27, 2012
Citizen0178 wrote:
Religious freedom means:
freedom to practice religion
freedom to practice no religion
freedom to practice unusual religion----=-NOT
It does not mean freedom "from" religion.
Those who do not believe and those who do believe should receive equal and fair dealings from citizens and government reps alike.
Unfortunately, the concept has become a political punching bag by many sides. The truth has been lost in the dust of power acquisition rather than reason.
Please reread the US Constitution. "freedom to practice unusual religion"----=-NOT , below is what is stated in Constitution written in 1787 states.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ....

This explains why unusual religion is NOT. Unusual religions (?) are not established religions. so NO

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#566 Sep 27, 2012
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Please reread the US Constitution. "freedom to practice unusual religion"----=-NOT , below is what is stated in Constitution written in 1787 states.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ....
This explains why unusual religion is NOT. Unusual religions (?) are not established religions. so NO
FREEDOM OF RELIGION DOES NOT MEAN ONLY CHRISTIAN RELIGION.......It means any religion or none at all....TAKE YOUR THEOCRACY WANTING CULT AND LEAVE...

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#567 Sep 27, 2012
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Please reread the US Constitution. "freedom to practice unusual religion"----=-NOT , below is what is stated in Constitution written in 1787 states.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ....
This explains why unusual religion is NOT. Unusual religions (?) are not established religions. so NO
You are STUPID. The Statement in that clause is used to maintain that the Government may not Establish(meaning either create one of it's own or Back one that has been or will be Created) a Religion, it also may not PREVENT others from practicing a religion of their choice or NOT practicing any religion whatsoever.
Try going back to school.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#568 Sep 27, 2012
A fine teacher like him is a clericalism of education.

You folks here on this forum are dammed lucky to have him looking out for you.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#569 Sep 27, 2012
The Oracle wrote:
<quoted text>
I make no effort to refute. Your comments about 'pacifist religions' are simply the ramblings of a deluded God fearer.
Now who is the one making no sense... the Quakers and Janist are well-known religions that have pacifism as a guiding principal. Buddhism and Quakers are not as much so, but have some sects and groups more committed within the religion. Likewise Wiccans and some other Neo-pagan religions, do not command it as a whole, but will find many adherants that practice pacifism to varying degrees. Just because I don't have the exact same beliefs of a given religion doesn't mean I am not ignorant of them, nor intolerant of them. If they are not attempting to legislate their unique and peculiar laws on a given populace as a whole, if they do not teach or advocate harm, I have no quarrel with them. Maybe you need to look within to find the source of your anger, rather than making absurd assumptions about random people you don't know.
Big Al

Springfield, MO

#570 Sep 28, 2012
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Please reread the US Constitution. "freedom to practice unusual religion"----=-NOT , below is what is stated in Constitution written in 1787 states.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ....
This explains why unusual religion is NOT. Unusual religions (?) are not established religions. so NO
"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting ‘Jesus Christ,’ so that it would read ‘A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;’ the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.”- Thomas Jefferson, The Virginia Legislature, Review and Reform of the Law," in his Autobiography.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Michael 665,189
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 4 hr Dragnet52 255,954
WHITE STUFF comes out when I RUB MY WEENIE, WHY??? 12 hr Philbert 1
News Hillcrest buys St. Mark's School Sun Cops are degenerates 9
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) Sat Azat 2
re the confessional in the church Fri nicole 1
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Dec 1 Communist In A Dress 20
More from around the web