REPORTS are coming out of Italy that ...

REPORTS are coming out of Italy that Pope Benedict XVI has resigned from office.

There are 21 comments on the Worcester News story from Feb 11, 2013, titled REPORTS are coming out of Italy that Pope Benedict XVI has resigned from office.. In it, Worcester News reports that:

Pope Benedict XVI is expected to stand down on February 28, leaving the office vacant until at least the end of March.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Worcester News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#1 Feb 11, 2013
"The last pope to resign was Pope Gregory XII, who stepped down in 1415 in a deal to end the Great Western Schism among competing papal claimants."

JP2 was practically crawling near the end.

I think there are other reasons for Bennie to leave...

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#2 Feb 11, 2013
May you rot in hell you piece of sh*t.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#3 Feb 11, 2013
I'm not Catholic so I don't know the answer to this question.
Prior to Feb. 28 Benny on the Hill will be infallible when it comes to matters of faith. Will he become fallible March 1st when he becomes a Former Pope?

The Mountain Empire

#4 Feb 12, 2013
DNF wrote:
Prior to Feb. 28 Benny on the Hill will be infallible when it comes to matters of faith. Will he become fallible March 1st when he becomes a Former Pope?
Good question, there hasn't been two living Popes since 1215...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#5 Feb 12, 2013
DNF wrote:
He won't be pope, so he cannot exercise papal infallibility.

The Mountain Empire

#6 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He won't be pope, so he cannot exercise papal infallibility.
Yes, he will still be a Pope, there are reason Pope's AGREE to be Pontiff for life.

Read your church history, he can still have plenty of influence. No one wants to be elected with a Pope still alive and living in the Vatican.

Maybe you'll luck out and they won't elect one, as planned, from Africa of Latin America. Everyone knows how they hate women and gays.

Nothing of Jesus left in your gang....

History in the making.....
Dan

Omaha, NE

#7 Feb 12, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he will still be a Pope, there are reason Pope's AGREE to be Pontiff for life.
Read your church history, he can still have plenty of influence. No one wants to be elected with a Pope still alive and living in the Vatican.
Maybe you'll luck out and they won't elect one, as planned, from Africa of Latin America. Everyone knows how they hate women and gays.
No, he will have resigned his office.

He cannot exercise papal infallibility if he isn't Pope.

I'll leave the rest of your off-topic rant for the others here.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#8 Feb 12, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. From what I understand he is abdicating the office, therefore he is no longer Pope. The OFFICE of the Pope has Infallibility in matters of Catholic Faith and Doctrine, but not the person.

I THINK he will retain his previous tile (Cardinal) but not being Catholic I can't say for sure. Oh and I do agree he will continue to have great influence simply because he WAS a Pope.

Now what I want to know is will he still have diplomatic immunity in those countries where he is being pursued as an accessory in the child sex abuse scandal?

The Mountain Empire

#9 Feb 13, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. From what I understand he is abdicating the office, therefore he is no longer Pope. The OFFICE of the Pope has Infallibility in matters of Catholic Faith and Doctrine, but not the person.
I THINK he will retain his previous tile (Cardinal) but not being Catholic I can't say for sure. Oh and I do agree he will continue to have great influence simply because he WAS a Pope.
Now what I want to know is will he still have diplomatic immunity in those countries where he is being pursued as an accessory in the child sex abuse scandal?
He cannot be a Cardinal now, that's not how the roman work, they have the strictest stupidest rules they must follow.

I was living in Rome when 2 Popes were elected, all in the same year, attend class inside Vatican City.

Of course, that's one of the main reasons I left the romans behind.

They are building an area now for him to live in Vatican City, to live a cloistered life while writing his theological works.

You can't tell me his writing won't have an effect and what happens if the new Pope goes a less conservative path?

This is a new condumdrum for the romans, history in the making....

The Mountain Empire

#10 Feb 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he will have resigned his office.
He cannot exercise papal infallibility if he isn't Pope.
I'll leave the rest of your off-topic rant for the others here.
There's a lot more to this than 'infallibility', which is a joke in and of itself....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#11 Feb 14, 2013
"I find it intriguing that two of the leading contenders as successor for Benedict XVI are named “Peter.” It will be an especially interesting time ahead if they pick the one of those two who is was born in the town of Romano. Whether he took the name Peter II or not, he would certainly be rightly known as Peter of Romano [matching the famous prophecy about the last pope], just because of his given name and birthplace. And I’m sure he greatly wants the job. The most favored choice among the two cardinals named Peter, however, is Peter Turkson of Ghana. Many were hoping he would be selected when Joseph Ratzinger was chosen to be pope and took the name Benedict XVI. They were hoping Cardinal Peter Turkson would be the first black pope, and there is good reason to think he will be chosen, in spite of how his name will give credence to the idea of a Satanic end-times Pope Peter II." ( http://thegreatrecession.info/blog/who-will-b... )

This will be a most interesting conclave.

--Knave Dave
truth

Perth, Australia

#12 Feb 14, 2013
Jesus Christ name above all.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Feb 14, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
He cannot be a Cardinal now, that's not how the roman work, they have the strictest stupidest rules they must follow.
I was living in Rome when 2 Popes were elected, all in the same year, attend class inside Vatican City.
Of course, that's one of the main reasons I left the romans behind.
They are building an area now for him to live in Vatican City, to live a cloistered life while writing his theological works.
You can't tell me his writing won't have an effect and what happens if the new Pope goes a less conservative path?
This is a new condumdrum for the romans, history in the making....
Sorry for the delayed response. I agree with most of what you said but remind you the R.C.C has had around a dozen Popes resign (they don't use abdicate as I recently learned). So I don't agree this is much of a conundrum for the Vatican. Heck one Pope sold the "Holy See of Peter" to his Godfather!(wiki has it's uses)
See "Popes who resigned".

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 Feb 14, 2013
truth wrote:
Jesus Christ name above all.
As a Christian I follow the command of Jesus and worship God, not Jesus or Saul of Tarsus.

But feel free to follow whatever you wish.

Namaste.
truth

Perth, Australia

#15 Feb 14, 2013
i am as i am

i follow very well

if i need i will remove 3x heaven
Who say that??????????

Are you for sure you can?
jesuschrist blows donkeys

Lake Ariel, PA

#17 Feb 15, 2013
rumor is that a nun shoved a crucifix up the pope's butt too hard, making it difficult for him to bend over to molest any little boy.

The Mountain Empire

#18 Feb 15, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry for the delayed response. I agree with most of what you said but remind you the R.C.C has had around a dozen Popes resign (they don't use abdicate as I recently learned). So I don't agree this is much of a conundrum for the Vatican. Heck one Pope sold the "Holy See of Peter" to his Godfather!(wiki has it's uses)
See "Popes who resigned".
I understand the history, I grew up roman and studied in Rome after seminary. It was in Rome I finally understood the dirty dealing, the back office deals, selling red hats and shoes but depending on who the next Pope is, with Bennie writing his 'theology' there might be a problem.

This could lead to an American Catholic Church, it's been ready for decades just waiting for Rome to do SOMETHING right or wrong, this next Pope could determine it....

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#19 Feb 15, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the history, I grew up roman and studied in Rome after seminary. It was in Rome I finally understood the dirty dealing, the back office deals, selling red hats and shoes but depending on who the next Pope is, with Bennie writing his 'theology' there might be a problem.
This could lead to an American Catholic Church, it's been ready for decades just waiting for Rome to do SOMETHING right or wrong, this next Pope could determine it....
While I was still living in Baltimore I attended the installation service of a priest to the Evangelical Catholic Church (I think I got the name right).

To my understanding it is a Catholic Church but much more tolerant than the R.C.C. According to wiki: "The Evangelical Catholic Church is an Independent Catholic Church which is theologically Lutheran, embracing the Augsburg Confession (often termed High Lutheran). Its membership numbers under 500. It was incorporated in Arizona in 1976. It practices infant communion".

BTW I'm about to post a story on the religion forum about this group and their reaction to the Pope's resignation.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#20 Feb 15, 2013
To Middleway: OOOPS. I goofed. The article isn't about the group I mentioned but rather a general article about some of the reactions of Evangelicals to the resignation.

In any case, the service I mentioned was very interesting. The priest was a gay man and his parents were there as well. I had a chance to speak to many people and was impressed with their explanations about how and why the group was founded. Just wish I could recall more details about those conversations!

The Mountain Empire

#21 Feb 16, 2013
DNF wrote:
To Middleway: OOOPS. I goofed. The article isn't about the group I mentioned but rather a general article about some of the reactions of Evangelicals to the resignation.
In any case, the service I mentioned was very interesting. The priest was a gay man and his parents were there as well. I had a chance to speak to many people and was impressed with their explanations about how and why the group was founded. Just wish I could recall more details about those conversations!
There are many 'catholic' religions other than the romans.

Should you come across this group I'd be interested in knowing who they are. I'd be happy to support them if they are working for all God's children,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) 29 min Azat 2
re the confessional in the church 2 hr nicole 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr kent 665,093
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 6 hr Joel 255,927
News Hillcrest buys St. Mark's School Thu Cops are degenerates 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Thu Communist In A Dress 20
News Convicted pedophile Denis Hall running for Cath... Thu TommyHatesJEWS 5
More from around the web