Burmese Buddhist Laws of Inheritance

Burmese Buddhist Laws of Inheritance

Posted in the Buddhism Forum

Hello

New York, NY

#1 Feb 2, 2013
Probably the fairest laws with regards to gender in religious history. Children of both sexes have an equal right to inherit family property. This is directly opposed to Hindu and Abrahamics laws where a women is herself considered property. A Jewish woman can only inherit if there are no sons.

http://gluedideas.com/Encyclopedia-Britannica...
Hello

New York, NY

#2 Feb 2, 2013
BURMESE BUDDHIST LAW Burmese Buddhist law, which is the body of customs and usages of the Burmese, has its sources in India, but belongs to a social system from which caste, seclusion of women, child mar riage, the joint family and other features of the Hindu system are absent. It has been collected at various times in the last boo years into books called Dhammathats, of which the Manugyk Dhammathat, compiled in A.D. 1756, overrides the others where it is clear and unambiguous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddhism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ti amo (Nov '11) 21 hr DEF 5,556
Why did Adi Shankarachaya murder a lot of dravi... (Mar '15) Jul 28 Tushar 16
Do Buddhists believe in "freewill"? Jul 17 ascv 7
News Finding the common thread of religious harmony ... Jun '16 Andrew 1
Why many Buddhist countries were converted to I... (Oct '12) May '16 Tarak Singh 218
I want to leave buddhism (Jul '15) May '16 Sheri 33
News Buddhism Meditation, Health and Happiness (Aug '11) May '16 Sheri 21
More from around the web