Days of Miracles is coming

Days of Miracles is coming

Posted in the Buddhism Forum

Hello

New York, NY

#1 Feb 3, 2013
Feb.11-25 are considered days of miracles when Lord Buddha was challenged by the heretics.

A little more on this important 2 weeks:

http://clearemptymind.com/2011/03/18/buddhist...

Make sure to take the 8 precept vows and meditate!
Hello

New York, NY

#2 Feb 3, 2013
The days mentioned are from Tibetan sources.

In the Sarabha Miga Jataka, it begins on the day of the full moon in the month of Asahal or June.

Here is a beautiful page with Jataka:

http://threeroyalwarriors.tripod.com/id46.htm...
Hello

New York, NY

#3 Feb 3, 2013
For the Theravada tradition, the first day falls on July 22, which is the full moon.
Hello

New York, NY

#4 Feb 3, 2013
This is from the Tibetan tradition:

On the first day Buddha held his toothpick, put it on the ground and it turned to the wish fulfilling tree. It was decorated with jewels, like a Christmas tree.

On the second day Buddha manifested two wish fulfilling jewels.

The third day the king offered to wash Buddha's feet. When Buddha washed his feet, he threw the water and it became a pool with the eight special qualities of water. Whoever drank or touched it were healed. Today there is a well there where small amounts of water are offered for sale. It is useful for treating disease.

On the fourth day it rained and the rain filled the eight canals.

The fifth day Buddha emitted golden light from his mouth and people could see beings of the six realms being liberated.

On the sixth day Buddha transformed some energy and everyone became clairvoyant and knew each others minds.

On the seventh day Buddha manifested as the wheel turning king and many people converted to Buddhism. Up to that time the Hindu teachers had not shown miracles.

On the eighth day the gods from Indra's palace sponsored the meals. They served Buddha and made offerings to him. Buddha's hand pressed the side of his seat and a thundering sound was emitted. Five frightening giant cannibals came out of the ground and they went for the seats of the Hindu teachers. Vajrapani also threatened the Hindu teachers. The Hindu teachers ran away. Vajrapani manifested a great storm. It became a tornado which picked up the Hindu teachers and their retinues and tossed them in the water. 60,000 Hindus converted that day and many monks attained the arhat's state and understanding. The gods showered flowers.
Hello

New York, NY

#5 Feb 3, 2013
The first to eighth day are the competition days. From the eighth to the fifteenth, Buddha showed miracles without competition.
On the eighth day Buddha grew his body until the Brahma realm was under his chin.
9th day missing...
On the tenth day Buddha's body grew to the top of Akanishta.
On the eleventh day, the Buddha he was not visible but the sound of his voice was heard everywhere.
On the twelfth day light from his body radiated to all of samsara and developed loving kindness in all.
On the thirteenth day Buddha manifested light from the spot between his eyebrows, filling all space with Buddhas, all who taught the dharma.
On the fourteenth day the flowers that were offered by the gods filled all of space and on each flower a Buddha manifested and taught.
On the fifteenth day Buddha gave the energy so that all beings could see all the six realms. Many people converted to Buddhism after seeing the lower realms with their own eyes.
There are eight great stupas. One is called the miracle stupa and was built to commemorate this event. So that is the first great day., the day of miracles, from the first to the fifteenth of the first month. Tibetans celebrate the new year at this time.
Hello

New York, NY

#6 Feb 3, 2013
The above list comes from the following site:

http://www.medicinebuddhasangha.org/teachings...
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Feb 3, 2013
Hello,
Can you help me with something ? Long ago in college I read this book where it was said that Buddha said a spot somewhere in India will never have rain touch the land. I forgot where or which book was it. Have you heard any thing similar?
Hello

New York, NY

#8 Feb 3, 2013
Vinamese wrote:
Hello,
Can you help me with something ? Long ago in college I read this book where it was said that Buddha said a spot somewhere in India will never have rain touch the land. I forgot where or which book was it. Have you heard any thing similar?
Are you sure it's not fire? That's the baby Quail Jataka, where the quail's act of truth will not allow any fire to burn for an aeon in an area of Magadha, modern day Bihar.

Here's the link of the Jataka with a cute cartoon:

http://threeroyalwarriors.tripod.com/id50.htm...
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Feb 3, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure it's not fire? That's the baby Quail Jataka, where the quail's act of truth will not allow any fire to burn for an aeon in an area of Magadha, modern day Bihar.
Here's the link of the Jataka with a cute cartoon:
http://threeroyalwarriors.tripod.com/id50.htm...
I remember I read some book in college that Buddha said that no rain, storm will ever come to a house/land of a certain person. The book said if anyone ever find this spot then Buddhism will become the biggest religion ever. It was said this area/spot of land is deep in some jungle somewhere.
Hello

New York, NY

#10 Feb 4, 2013
The post isn't coming through, let me try again and if you see multiple posts ignore them:

In this Kappa, or Era, there are four miracles which endure through the whole Era. What are the four?

Well, they are first, the sign of the hare in the moon, which will last through the whole Era;

secondly, the spot where the fire was put out as told in the Vattaka Jataka, which shall remain untouched by fire throughout the Era;

thirdly, on the site of Ghatikara’s house no rain shall ever fall while this Era lasts;

and lastly, the canes that grow round this lake shall be hollow throughout during the whole of he Era. Such are the four Era- miracles, as they are called.)

It's the Great Ghatikara's house which was in Kosala.

The Buddha of the time had taken his thatched roof and it did not rain for three months as long as it had no roof.
Hello

New York, NY

#11 Feb 4, 2013
Here is more on the great Ghatikara who is now a MahaBrahma due to his piety!

http://wisdomlib.org/definition/ghatikara/ind...
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Feb 4, 2013
Hello wrote:
The post isn't coming through, let me try again and if you see multiple posts ignore them:
In this Kappa, or Era, there are four miracles which endure through the whole Era. What are the four?
Well, they are first, the sign of the hare in the moon, which will last through the whole Era;
secondly, the spot where the fire was put out as told in the Vattaka Jataka, which shall remain untouched by fire throughout the Era;
thirdly, on the site of Ghatikara’s house no rain shall ever fall while this Era lasts;
and lastly, the canes that grow round this lake shall be hollow throughout during the whole of he Era. Such are the four Era- miracles, as they are called.)
It's the Great Ghatikara's house which was in Kosala.
The Buddha of the time had taken his thatched roof and it did not rain for three months as long as it had no roof.
Thanks for the info, I think it was Ghatikara's house that I read. I was said the miracle last for an eon, you think an eon have passed?
Hello

Ardsley, NY

#14 Feb 5, 2013
Vinamese wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the info, I think it was Ghatikara's house that I read. I was said the miracle last for an eon, you think an eon have passed?
Sure, this is the fortunate aeon with 7 Buddhas so far... Aeon is far from over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddhism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do I have faith in Buddha? By Steve Wang Mar 17 Vinamese 3
News Dalai Lama says Chinese hardliners have parts o... Mar 11 Vinamese 1
What is Buddhism? Mar 10 flower9 1
Why many Buddhist countries were converted to I... (Oct '12) Feb 26 Paul 236
ti amo (Nov '11) Jan '17 oooo 5,557
Buddha TV serial a Hit! (Oct '13) Jan '17 V is for 6
New American Buddhist website Jan '17 Otherwise 4
More from around the web