Trying Vegetarianism
Hello

Westbury, NY

#1 Nov 9, 2013
Trying to be vegetarian now. Not that I think eating meat is inherently bad, just that an animal should not be tortured and die for my lust for food. Meat should not be an industry where animals are tortured. Such meat is poison for our bodies and mind.

However Buddha said all food should be taken, whether meat or non meat, as nurturing enlightenment and not for taste or enjoyment. With this spirit one can eat anything.

I have observed that if your body is not fully used to a completely meatless diet (I used to have chicken every week) it somewhat leads to a decline in sharpness and attentiveness.

This might be why Buddha did not make it a rule since many of our bodies are used to meat and focus is more important for a breakthrough in the Dharma which I did while still consuming meat.

Still experimenting and will let you know if there are any advantages to meatless meditation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddhism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God Bless Buddha Jan 11 Steve 1
Oriental Hotei God Was a Real Man Jan 11 John 2
Unfortunately Siddhartha has been turned into a... Jan 9 Zazenmind 1
Why many Buddhist countries were converted to I... (Oct '12) Jan 9 Zazenmind 238
News Tourists meet the Buddha Dec 24 Name 1
News Silence of the lambs Dec '17 Name 1
News Post your comment Dec '17 Name 1
More from around the web