Do Vegetarians/vegans care about People?

Do Vegetarians/vegans care about People?

Posted in the Buddhism Forum

Hello

New York, NY

#1 Mar 23, 2014
We all know that vegetarians don't care about humans being killed due to malnutrition even though their bodies are designed to eat meat because vege heads are extremely concerned about animals being killed, even though the human birth is the most valuable since only humans can gain enlightenment.

In the Putamamsa Sutta, Buddha acknowledged that killing for ANY food is necessary to cross this samsara. We should not delight in any food since all food, including vegetarian food, results in killing of some sort. Farmers kill millions of animals and insects to protect food for vegetarians. However, Buddha said we should act with compassion and take only what we need.

Devadutta

Buddhists all know about how evil Devadutta wanted stricter rules on the Sangha, including imposing vegetarianism.

Buddha refused outright, even at the cost of splitting the Sangha.

Devadutta represents everything evil - although he proposed vegetarianism, however, Devadutta had no misgivings on getting Ajatshatru to kill his own father or killing Buddha.

But of course, this vegetarian had deep concerns about animals!

So we have a story about how vegetarians seem to care more about animals and attempt murder on humans instead.

Is this the only story? Actually we have a similar story about Cain and Abel in the Bible, where the vegetarian Cain becomes the first murderer,

Hebrew Bible version:

1Adam knew his wife Eve intimately, and she conceived and bore Cain. She said,“I have had a male child with the LORD‘s help.”a[›]2Then she also gave birth to his brother Abel. Now Abel became a shepherd of a flock, but Cain cultivated the land. 3In the course of time Cain presented some of the land’s produce as an offering to the LORD. 4And Abel also presented [an offering]b[›]— some of the firstborn of his flock and their fat portions.c[›] The Lord had regard for Abel and his offering, 5but He did not have regard for Cain and his offering. Cain was furious, and he was downcast.[6]6Then the LORD said to Cain,“Why are you furious? And why are you downcast?[7] 7If you do right, won’t you be accepted? But if thou do not do right, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must master it.”8Cain said to his brother Abel,“Let’s go out to the field.”[8]And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
—Genesis 4:1-8 (HCSB)
After this, God said to Cain,“What hast you done? The voice of thy brother’s blood crieth out to Me from the ground! So now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand. When thou farm the ground, it shall not yield good crops to you! Thou shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth!(Genesis 4:10-4:12)
Hello

New York, NY

#2 Mar 23, 2014
So to vegans and veges, it doesn't matter if millions of humans suffer from malnutrition or if future human generations have stunted growth due to humans not getting adequate nutrition from plant sources.

Who cares about humans?

Fortunately meat eaters are now speaking up for HUMANS and human nutrition. Buddha ate meat and fought for us to ensure we had adequate nutrients and medicine. However, he said eat food without lust or greed. Eat only what you need and no more.

Through the Buddha Dhamma we humans can escape Karma and redeem all beings while vegetarians will be twirling like leaves in samsara!
Hello

New York, NY

#3 Mar 23, 2014
Here is an excellent explanation on the Cain and Abel story on how Cain's sin was thinking animals were equal to humans -- ie he had wrong view:

http://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Vegetarianism_and_H...

This is similar to The Mahasutosoma Jataka where the Bodhisatva clearly differentiates between killing of animals for food vs. cannibalism or murder of humans -- in no way is killing of animals equal to that of humans.

In his establishment of dharma for the king who tried to defend his cannibalism by saying that killing of an animal is counted as same as killing of human -- The Bodhisat says in no way is killing of animals for food the same as killing of humans!

The Bodhisat than establishes him in the 5 precepts which allow the king to eat any birds and beasts but not humans.
Quill

Goodman, MO

#4 Mar 23, 2014
Yes vegans can about humans. We don't eat humans.

All life is important because we coexist together on a tiny blue planet in outerspace floating in time. We share the most important thing we value which is the breath of life and family.
Life has a certain value.
When humans i.e. other animals serve the well-being of other life forms on earth it makes the earth and the universe better.
Hello

New York, NY

#7 Mar 23, 2014
Quill wrote:
Yes vegans can about humans. We don't eat humans.
All life is important because we coexist together on a tiny blue planet in outerspace floating in time. We share the most important thing we value which is the breath of life and family.
Life has a certain value.
When humans i.e. other animals serve the well-being of other life forms on earth it makes the earth and the universe better.
All life is indeed important and all life feeds on other beings to survive in something called a food chain. Unfortunately humans overdo it and take more than is necessary.

However, all human beings are not the same and you forcing your diet on others is pure evil. Different people have different requirements.

Don't feed a lion bird food.
vegetables

Goodman, MO

#8 Mar 23, 2014
I swear forum topix has it in for me earlier I said vegans care for humans, now it says vegans can for humans.
This is like a tennis game. You hit the ball this way, i hit the ball back. I'm luv you are zero but uping the inch thanks to you meat eater friends
Hello

New York, NY

#9 Mar 23, 2014
vegetables wrote:
I swear forum topix has it in for me earlier I said vegans care for humans, now it says vegans can for humans.
This is like a tennis game. You hit the ball this way, i hit the ball back. I'm luv you are zero but uping the inch thanks to you meat eater friends
Oooh! Now Topix has it in for you! Conspiracy theorist! Everyone is after you...thank you for
your self sample... proves the study that only the mentally ill become vegans.
Hello

New York, NY

#10 Mar 26, 2014
The vegan Jains - don't kill animals or insects or germs, killing baby girls in India - okay!

Every religion points to the Jains as being "the most peaceful" -- they cover their mouths to not kill insects, carry brooms so no insect is stepped on, they pride themselves on veganism! In fact, they won't even eat a turnip or red things because it reminds them of --- eeew, blood!

How much do they care for humans? Here is the frightening truth!

http://www.jaindharmonline.com/more/articles....

The low female sex ratio among the Jain community as shown in the census 2001 indicates clearly that female foeticide is second highest among Jains community in India.
Hello

New York, NY

#11 Mar 27, 2014
Hello wrote:
The vegan Jains - don't kill animals or insects or germs, killing baby girls in India - okay!
Every religion points to the Jains as being "the most peaceful" -- they cover their mouths to not kill insects, carry brooms so no insect is stepped on, they pride themselves on veganism! In fact, they won't even eat a turnip or red things because it reminds them of --- eeew, blood!
How much do they care for humans? Here is the frightening truth!
http://www.jaindharmonline.com/more/articles....
The low female sex ratio among the Jain community as shown in the census 2001 indicates clearly that female foeticide is second highest among Jains community in India.
Now do you know why Buddha called the Jains immoral and evil?

Vegetarianism is generally a tool of outward show and false piety, those who really don't want to understand the truth...

Have I now presented a true case where their evil comes to full light?

About the Jains Buddha said: "The Jains are unbelievers, immoral, shameless and reckless. They are not companions of good men and they exalt themselves and disparage others. The Jains cling to material things and refuse to let go of them. They are rogues, of evil desires and perverse views."[ N11 ]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddhism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New American Buddhist website (Oct '16) Aug 16 Hello 5
Buddha TV serial a Hit! (Oct '13) Aug 8 Niraj 7
News Inevitable Awakening ~ Dharmavidya Jul '17 True Christian wi... 3
Did Gautama Buddha see a mystical creature? Jun '17 TJa 2
Great Buddhism Podcast May '17 Brian 1
ti amo (Nov '11) Apr '17 1o1o1i 5,558
How To Practice Buddhism? Apr '17 flower9 1
More from around the web