Disappearance of Buddhism means...

Posted in the Buddhism Forum

Hello

Flushing, NY

#1 Jan 12, 2013
The disappearance of wisdom.

So wherever you see Buddhism replaced by other religions, you see the disappearance of true wisdom.

Those are signs of people who are too dumb to understand the teachings.
Raj at Earth

Redondo Beach, CA

#2 Jan 12, 2013
Buddhism says to Refrain from Killing, yet most of the Buddhist population consumes meat.

I think they need to rewrite some of the agreements in the Pali Cannons to better reflect what the people actually do. I am vegetarian but my Hindu book (The Mahabharata) says it is ok to wage war and kill the opponent. Many tribes preach peace and goodness towards Humanity but their soliders with guns and knives are not very far behind. I feel that many tribes of humanity would think of us as nothing more than sheep to be slaughtered if my people did not have the capacity to fight back.

In my openion, Buddhism is a very good religion. One of the four major religions of the world, including Islam, Hinduism, Christianity and Buddhism. I think the Pali Cannons are somewhat wrong as they should more reflect what the people actually do. I had an oppertunity to read the Bible, Quran, Mahabharata, Pali Cannons, Li Ki and the Bantu and found that similar problems exsist in all religions. I found these books to be no more than story books or better still histoy books. If you have the time, read all the religious texts from around the world and judge for yourself. I think that Religion is a powerful force in a Human's life, more than the nation or profession. In any event, read these books for yourself and try to understand the truth.
Hello

Flushing, NY

#3 Jan 13, 2013
Raj at Earth wrote:
Buddhism says to Refrain from Killing, yet most of the Buddhist population consumes meat.
I think they need to rewrite some of the agreements in the Pali Cannons to better reflect what the people actually do. I am vegetarian but my Hindu book (The Mahabharata) says it is ok to wage war and kill the opponent. Many tribes preach peace and goodness towards Humanity but their soliders with guns and knives are not very far behind. I feel that many tribes of humanity would think of us as nothing more than sheep to be slaughtered if my people did not have the capacity to fight back.
In my openion, Buddhism is a very good religion. One of the four major religions of the world, including Islam, Hinduism, Christianity and Buddhism. I think the Pali Cannons are somewhat wrong as they should more reflect what the people actually do. I had an oppertunity to read the Bible, Quran, Mahabharata, Pali Cannons, Li Ki and the Bantu and found that similar problems exsist in all religions. I found these books to be no more than story books or better still histoy books. If you have the time, read all the religious texts from around the world and judge for yourself. I think that Religion is a powerful force in a Human's life, more than the nation or profession. In any event, read these books for yourself and try to understand the truth.
Yes, we are sons of the Sakya-- ie Kshatriyas and are allowed meat. We listen to the Buddha not idiot Hindus.

Buddhists can eat meat as long as it wasn't killed particularly for them-- since Buddhists practice/ know anatma, or not self, meat can be consumed by all BUDDHISTS.

Hindus have no precepts or morals, one just needs to look at post Buddhist Hindu india.

No Buddhism, no Buddhi. No Buddhism, no truth.
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Jan 13, 2013
Raj at Earth wrote:
Buddha wanted the people to be vegan but it's all up to the individuals to do what is right. Buddha cannot force anyone from doing bad but to show that consequences ( karma ) will follow oneself. So therefor Buddhism is superior to all other false religions
Hello

Flushing, NY

#5 Jan 13, 2013
It means death and decay are massive, pain is on the increase. Destruction is certain.

That is Buddhism disappeared. This happens only when their are those of weak intellect and little virtue-- as Buddha said- men of straw.
DDR

Santa Ana, CA

#6 Jan 13, 2013
Hi Raj at earth,

I have answered this topic on another thread, but thought I should post it here for you as well:

Reply |Report Abuse|Judge it!|#916 min ago

Hi vegan,

While eating vegetarian or less meat is recommended , it is not an obligation in Buddhism and there is no set rule forbidding meat consumption. It is up to each individual to choose regarding this matter. There are Buddhist that are vegetarians and non- vegetarians.

Devadatta ( an evil character) once insisted that the Buddha set up a rule that everyone should eat only vegetarian . However the Buddha did not. You might be wondering why is it that the Buddha did not laid down a set rule forbidding meat consumption but was flexible regarding this matter and allowing people to choose for themselves:

1. Planting crops and vegetables also involves some killing , maybe not bigger creatures but smaller ones. The Buddha would be favoring larger animals if he made a rule forbidding people from eating meat.

2. There are people that live in snowy regions where it is difficult to plant crops and vegetables. If he made a rule forbidding all disciples from eating meat , that would make it very difficult for disciples in certain regions to survive when they can neither eat meat nor find vegetables and crops.

3. There are certain people with medical conditions where they need to consume some meat to get better.

4. What one puts in ones mouth does not make a person compassionate or non- compassionate. It also doesn't determines whether a person will become enlightened or not. The Buddha even practiced eating only rice and nuts , but it wasn't helping in the development of enlightenment. So in Buddhism we don't have a belief where if you are a vegetarian then you are more enlightened than people that are not vegetarians. We don't put down others based on their diets.

By the way, Hitler was a vegetarian !
Raj at Earth

Redondo Beach, CA

#7 Jan 13, 2013
DDR wrote:
Hi Raj at earth,
I have answered this topic on another thread, but thought I should post it here for you as well:
Reply |Report Abuse|Judge it!|#916 min ago
Hi vegan,
While eating vegetarian or less meat is recommended , it is not an obligation in Buddhism and there is no set rule forbidding meat consumption. It is up to each individual to choose regarding this matter. There are Buddhist that are vegetarians and non- vegetarians.
Devadatta ( an evil character) once insisted that the Buddha set up a rule that everyone should eat only vegetarian . However the Buddha did not. You might be wondering why is it that the Buddha did not laid down a set rule forbidding meat consumption but was flexible regarding this matter and allowing people to choose for themselves:
1. Planting crops and vegetables also involves some killing , maybe not bigger creatures but smaller ones. The Buddha would be favoring larger animals if he made a rule forbidding people from eating meat.
2. There are people that live in snowy regions where it is difficult to plant crops and vegetables. If he made a rule forbidding all disciples from eating meat , that would make it very difficult for disciples in certain regions to survive when they can neither eat meat nor find vegetables and crops.
3. There are certain people with medical conditions where they need to consume some meat to get better.
4. What one puts in ones mouth does not make a person compassionate or non- compassionate. It also doesn't determines whether a person will become enlightened or not. The Buddha even practiced eating only rice and nuts , but it wasn't helping in the development of enlightenment. So in Buddhism we don't have a belief where if you are a vegetarian then you are more enlightened than people that are not vegetarians. We don't put down others based on their diets.
By the way, Hitler was a vegetarian !
I have no problem with the Tiger or Bear eating meat as it is normal for that animal. The thing is, the tiger does not preach peace or refrainment from killing. Buddhism preaces peace and refrainment from killing and it is a suprise to see so many Buddhists consuming meat. In any event do what you like, it was just our observation.
DDR

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Jan 13, 2013
There are Buddhist that decided to be vegetarians while others chose otherwise. For example, if you go to a Mahayana temple there are only vegetarian foods. And lay Buddhist eat vegetarian at least during Uposatha.

In Buddhism being a Butcher is considered wrong livelihood and killing your own food is not recommended. While vegetarianism is recommended , it is not forced on everyone and allow for flexibility due to the reasons mentioned above.

5. Another reason is that there are times when certain countries or regions have to face drought and famine . There are not enough crops and vegetables for people to live on. If the Buddha had made a hard rule forbidding meat consumption, it would be difficult if not impossible for them to survive.

There are various factors that needs to be considered before establishing a rule .

Let's say if a government want to establish a law where it is illegal to consume meat and those who consume meat would face jail time for many years, they would also have to consider the consequences for people that are forced to obey that rule.
DDR

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jan 13, 2013
Out of compassion the Buddha did not forced people to eat only vegetables . As you can see, for people in certain areas and certain circumstances that rule would have been detrimental to their survival. Not to mention, that eating vegetables also involves killing in the process of producing it. Yes, eating vegetarian is recommended in Buddhism , but it is not forced on people.
Raj at Earth

Redondo Beach, CA

#10 Jan 14, 2013
DDR wrote:
Out of compassion the Buddha did not forced people to eat only vegetables . As you can see, for people in certain areas and certain circumstances that rule would have been detrimental to their survival. Not to mention, that eating vegetables also involves killing in the process of producing it. Yes, eating vegetarian is recommended in Buddhism , but it is not forced on people.
You have a good point. I was only referring to the agreement as stated in the Pali Cannons by the Buddha. It's no big deal, kill all the animals you want and eat their Carcass. It does change the agreement with the Vegetarian people of the world. It also changes the agreement with the animals of the world.
Hello

Flushing, NY

#11 Jan 14, 2013
Raj at Earth wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with the Tiger or Bear eating meat as it is normal for that animal. The thing is, the tiger does not preach peace or refrainment from killing. Buddhism preaces peace and refrainment from killing and it is a suprise to see so many Buddhists consuming meat. In any event do what you like, it was just our observation.
What part of "refrain" don't you understand?

A Buddhist always refrains from killing.
Buying meat is not killing.
Eating meat is not killing.
Using meat for medicine - perfectly allowed by Buddha.

Monks ate crabs to fix any indigestion.

Restraint does not equal forbid. You can never have absolute no killing.

For warriors and lay people there is less restraint, for monks it is the greatest restraint. That is why the monks life is considered perfectly holy, whereas a lay person cannot practice the holy life perfectly.

I love Buddha, you need intelligence or Buddhi to understand him.
Raj at Earth

Redondo Beach, CA

#12 Jan 14, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of "refrain" don't you understand?
A Buddhist always refrains from killing.
Buying meat is not killing.
Eating meat is not killing.
Using meat for medicine - perfectly allowed by Buddha.
Monks ate crabs to fix any indigestion.
Restraint does not equal forbid. You can never have absolute no killing.
For warriors and lay people there is less restraint, for monks it is the greatest restraint. That is why the monks life is considered perfectly holy, whereas a lay person cannot practice the holy life perfectly.
I love Buddha, you need intelligence or Buddhi to understand him.
Someone had to kill the animal for you and produce the meat so that you could buy it and eat it.

So as long as someone else does the killing it is ok?

Is the butcher Buddhist?

How do you justify the Chiense people killing in Tibet?

How do you justify the Japanese people killing in America?

Why do the East Asian Buddhist nations have so many soliders and guns?

It seems like the Buddhist of today are beating around the bush with the idea of killing.

Why not change the Pali Cannons to incorporate the degraded form of Buddhism that people practice?
DDR

Oceanside, CA

#13 Jan 15, 2013
Raj at Earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone had to kill the animal for you and produce the meat so that you could buy it and eat it.
Someone had to kill countless of insects to feed you vegetables. Perhaps you are under the illusion that there is no killing involved in the production of vegetables and grains. Even if people are forbid from eating meat, it does not prevent killing . This is a catch twenty two. This is something that you are unaware of therefore claiming that eating vegetable does not involves someone killing some creatures for you. Here instead of someone killing large creatures, they kill smaller creatures. This is why regarding diets and food, Buddhists teaching allow people to decide for themselves.

Vegetarians are okay, but only foolish ones are under the illusion that they are holier because they lead to the death of smaller creatures than non-vegetarians .
DDR

Oceanside, CA

#14 Jan 15, 2013
No where in the Buddhists teaching do you find instruction on how to slaughter an animal either for food, or for sacrifice . No where does it say that people should eat meat. This is a personal choice for people whether they want large creature to be kill ( non veg) or small creature to get kill ( as in vegetarian).

Tell me why then must our text needs to be rewritten because you can understand it properly.
DDR

Oceanside, CA

#15 Jan 15, 2013
Correction " can't" instead of " can" .
Hello

Flushing, NY

#16 Jan 15, 2013
Raj at Earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the butcher Buddhist?
It seems like the Buddhist of today are beating around the bush with the idea of killing.
Why not change the Pali Cannons to incorporate the degraded form of Buddhism that people practice?
The Pali canon is quite accurate and Buddhists do as Buddha says-- we learn to refrain from killing.

Again, that requires Intelligence to parse that statement.

Thank you for showing Buddhists how retarded Hundus are.
Hello

Flushing, NY

#17 Jan 15, 2013
Raj at Earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the butcher Buddhist?
Of course. Buddha said to have a powerful military, so we have a powerful military to protect citizens.

You are really dumb. I cry for the state of Indians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddhism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kung Fu Nuns helping in Nepal Disaster 21 hr Hello 1
Can Thai Buddhism be Reformed? Sat Hello 5
Buddha Day on Sunday! Fri Hello 1
Sites Still Standing After Nepal's Earthquake Apr 30 Hello 1
More Gold for Myanmar's Beautiful Pagoda Apr 29 Hello 5
For US: Global Giving - Donate 10 dollars for N... Apr 27 Hello 1
Disaster Relief in Nepal Apr 27 Hello 2
More from around the web