how can one go from life to life with...

how can one go from life to life without a soul

Posted in the Buddhism Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
god

Escondido, CA

#1 Feb 10, 2014
tell me
Hello

New York, NY

#2 Feb 10, 2014
god wrote:
tell me
First define soul in your religion or your own understanding of what a soul is.

In Buddhism, rebirth is due to qualities of ignorance which continues from birth to birth.

True Buddha and Arahants are fully able to leave their bodies and gain new bodies fully controlled.

Buddha and Arahants did not die, if you read texts they left their bodies when they desired to.

This is called the cycle of knowledge.

Whereas an ignorant person dies and has no control over when he will die or where he will be reborn.
This is called the cycle of ignorance. This person has very little control and no idea where he/she will be reborn.
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Feb 10, 2014
god wrote:
tell me
Tell me what is a soul? Is it a spirit? Like a ghost? Can you see this soul? Can you feel it? How do you feel it? With what you use to feel and see this soul, this formless soul? Can you use your physical eyes, ears, touch to see and feel this formless soul?
Answer that for me.
god

Escondido, CA

#4 Feb 28, 2014
if bud's call the soul a personality all they have done is to substitute the word personality for soul
i will continue to use the word soul as an equivalent to personality/being
so what if you dont like the word soul
you havent done any great deed by your arrogance in trying to shame people for the use of the word soul
bye bye
Hello

New York, NY

#5 Feb 28, 2014
god wrote:
if bud's call the soul a personality all they have done is to substitute the word personality for soul
i will continue to use the word soul as an equivalent to personality/being
so what if you dont like the word soul
you havent done any great deed by your arrogance in trying to shame people for the use of the word soul
bye bye
Again, what is your definition of a soul?

Personality? What is a personality?

Buddha is Buddha not stupid. He clearly defines what ignorance is and what a soul (atta) is not.

Your religion obviously fails miserably since it was made by idiots and not a Buddha. Please define what a personality is.
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Feb 28, 2014
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what is your definition of a soul?
Personality? What is a personality?
Buddha is Buddha not stupid. He clearly defines what ignorance is and what a soul (atta) is not.
Your religion obviously fails miserably since it was made by idiots and not a Buddha. Please define what a personality is.
god couldn't even answer my questions as stated above. Bwahahahaha
Hello

New York, NY

#7 Mar 1, 2014
Vinamese wrote:
<quoted text>god couldn't even answer my questions as stated above. Bwahahahaha
Apparently this person thinks the definition of "nonpersonality" = soul of his/her religion is good enough.
bhiksuni Ratana

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#8 Mar 1, 2014
Just because there is no soul (an everlasting, never changing entity) going through life after life is possible. If there were a soul, this soul would have to jump from a dying body into some ladies (or female's) womb. That would be impossible.
There is nothing that goes from one life onto another; there is merely one thing that by its very existence stimulates another thing to manifest. Compare it to rain and a leaf on a tree: just because there is rain, the tree is budding and spreading leaves without raindrops and not-yet-manifest leaves actually touching one another.
Or in Buddha's word: is this is, that is; if this is not, that is not.
Vinamese

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Mar 2, 2014
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently this person thinks the definition of "nonpersonality" = soul of his/her religion is good enough.
It's an easy way out for the Abrahamic religions, just like earth is 6,000 years old, dinosaurs were put on earth just to fool people, etc.. etc...
Just what do you expect from man made Abrahamic religions. Simple answers for ignorant people.
Hello

New York, NY

#10 Mar 2, 2014
bhiksuni Ratana wrote:
Just because there is no soul (an everlasting, never changing entity) going through life after life is possible. If there were a soul, this soul would have to jump from a dying body into some ladies (or female's) womb. That would be impossible.
There is nothing that goes from one life onto another; there is merely one thing that by its very existence stimulates another thing to manifest. Compare it to rain and a leaf on a tree: just because there is rain, the tree is budding and spreading leaves without raindrops and not-yet-manifest leaves actually touching one another.
Or in Buddha's word: is this is, that is; if this is not, that is not.
I think what confuses people is the notion of the individual - ego of "me"ness, not realizing these are merely skandhas that break apart.

Another parable for rebirth perhaps would be yogurt. You take some old yogurt culture to form new yogurt -- similar to fermentation of sour dough.

With the condition:
1)there is boiled milk and
2) fermented yogurt culture

You have new yogurt. Take out any one of the conditions, no more yogurt from that particular group of cultures.

Ideas or asavas are similar to fermentation and these create the grounds for a new birth. Stop the ferment, no more rebirth.
Hello

New York, NY

#11 Mar 2, 2014
Vinamese wrote:
<quoted text>It's an easy way out for the Abrahamic religions, just like earth is 6,000 years old, dinosaurs were put on earth just to fool people, etc.. etc...
Just what do you expect from man made Abrahamic religions. Simple answers for ignorant people.
Unfortunately most people look for simple answers which is why Buddha says Buddhists are born for the good of the world...since we can assess the complexities.

These guys create karmic cycles due to lust, greed and hatred and we have to restore all mistakes caused by this foolishness.

They end up over killing, destroying the environment...sending this world completely out of balance.
god

Bonsall, CA

#12 Mar 3, 2014
of course the soul is ever changing until we achieve the cit of being god

thats the purpose of samsara

as for gautama see my new post on his psychology
Hello

New York, NY

#13 Mar 3, 2014
god wrote:
of course the soul is ever changing until we achieve the cit of being god
thats the purpose of samsara
as for gautama see my new post on his psychology
The cita of god. Is that hinduism? Sort of mixing up everything which Buddhists don't do. What is the citta of god and what is not the citta of god?
god

Bonsall, CA

#14 Mar 5, 2014
god leaves gems in all religions

& we can benefit from same if our hearts are pure

the cit of being god is the perfect existence w. no interrupts
Hello

New York, NY

#15 Mar 5, 2014
god wrote:
god leaves gems in all religions
& we can benefit from same if our hearts are pure
the cit of being god is the perfect existence w. no interrupts
God might leave gems in all religions, but he leaves perfect understanding with only one - Buddhism. I have most of the worlds most important scriptures, Buddhism is the key to unlock all of them.

What's the perfect existence w. no interrupts?
god

Escondido, CA

#16 Mar 10, 2014
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
God might leave gems in all religions, but he leaves perfect understanding with only one - Buddhism. I have most of the worlds most important scriptures, Buddhism is the key to unlock all of them.
What's the perfect existence w. no interrupts?
interrupts of nastiness
Hello

New York, NY

#17 Mar 10, 2014
god wrote:
<quoted text>
interrupts of nastiness
Why is something nasty and why is something not nasty?
god

Escondido, CA

#18 Mar 10, 2014
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is something nasty and why is something not nasty?
i suppose youre getting at its our own interp that makes it one way or another
Hello

New York, NY

#19 Mar 11, 2014
god wrote:
<quoted text>
i suppose youre getting at its our own interp that makes it one way or another
Yup, All that you call reality is conditioning of the mind. That is the First Noble Truth - the truth of relativity.
god

Escondido, CA

#21 Mar 12, 2014
this is also the hindu idea that the matter world is an illusion

shunkuru was big on this

it makes sense because when were small children we can store almost no memories because we havent yet been mesmerised

but nicheren shoshu teaches the objective reality of matter

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buddhism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Inevitable Awakening ~ Dharmavidya Jun 4 BuddhaRandom 1
Did Gautama Buddha see a mystical creature? May 31 Julius the Jules 1
Great Buddhism Podcast May 28 Brian 1
ti amo (Nov '11) Apr '17 1o1o1i 5,558
How To Practice Buddhism? Apr '17 flower9 1
News Dalai Lama says Chinese hardliners have parts o... Apr '17 John 4
Why do I have faith in Buddha? By Steve Wang Mar '17 Vinamese 3
More from around the web