Naderkhani acquittal shows Iran needs to allow religious freedom

Sep 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Amnesty International

Pastor Yousef Naderkhani's trial ... on the charge of apostasy - which is not even an offence in Iran's current Penal Code - put the lie to Iran's claims that it tolerates religious minorities ...

Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2012

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 Sep 11, 2012
from Amnesty International:

"Under Iran’s Constitution Shi’a Islam is the country’s official religion, while Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians are the only recognized religious minorities.

"Members of unrecognized religious minorities face severe restrictions on their ability to practise their religions which in the case of the Baha’i community amounts to persecution.

"But despite belonging to a recognized religion, Christians who have converted from Islam are at risk being accused of apostasy, which can carry the death penalty under Islamic law, while those who evangelise are harassed and sometimes arrested and prosecuted under national security laws.

"Naderkhani refused to recant his beliefs during the September 2011 Supreme Court hearing, reportedly telling the judge:'I am resolute in my faith and Christianity and have no wish to recant.'"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bahai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Faith Forum: What religion does God follow? (Nov '12) Feb '14 Hilarious 47
Supreme Court to hear new case on religion in p... (Nov '13) Nov '13 woodtick57 6
Baha'i Fallacies and Contradictions (May '08) Oct '13 RonPrice9 36
Interfaith Initiative Centre County | A journey... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kathwynn 1
They gave up their lives for their faith (Jun '13) Jul '13 Trisha 14
Baha'i had higher expectations (Jun '13) Jun '13 StrongHelmet 1
1,000 Baha'i delegates arrive to elect new council (Apr '13) May '13 World Unity 16
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Bahai People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••