A celebration of freedom

A celebration of freedom

There are 5 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Apr 25, 2009, titled A celebration of freedom. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

In the background is a portrait of Abdul-baha, the son of Baha'i's most important prophet, Baha'ullah.. 04-22-09 . An image of Bahai shrine in Haifa, Israel, which is where the Baha'i religion is based, decorates Nadia Aghdasi's Manhattan Beach home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

True finder

Atlanta, GA

#1 Apr 26, 2009
Including Aghdasi's husband, who was arrested twice for his religious beliefs?
Only about 300,000 of the world's estimated 6 million Baha'is still live in Iran

There is simple question here:

If he arrested for his religious beliefs then why they do not arrest other 300,000?
1. they are not believers?
2. the arrested person did other crimes? he did not arrest for his beliefs?
Regards
Tea time

New York, NY

#2 Apr 27, 2009
I will never understand where these so-called "Muslim countries" get the idea that prohibiting religious freedom is acceptable in Islam -- they have twisted their own faith and they don't even realize it. I grieve for all people who suffer from religious persecution, and for the ones who miss the beautiful, generous and peaceful heart of their own religion because they are too busy fearing and hating others.
RuckRuck

Rodeo, CA

#3 Apr 28, 2009
""The Islamic teachings call for the right to free worship," said Munira Syeda, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles chapter of CAIR.

Oh yeah? Has she told that to Saudi Arabia where Jews are forbidden to come and all other religions are forbidden to worship in public, build places of worship or bring in their holy texts? If a CAIR rep is talking, you can be sure it's a lie.
Jaafar

Lebanon

#4 Apr 29, 2009
"Ridvan" is not the Arabic word for paradise; there isn't even any "v" in Arabic. Paradise is "firdaus" in Arabic. "Ridvan" must be Farsi (the language of Iran).

Regarding the situation of the Bahais, it is important to note that the cause of the tension between the Bahais and the Islamic state is as political as it is religious. Because Bahai headquarters are in Israel, and Bahais have a particular arrangment with Israel (they are not conscripted into the army, engage in no humanitarian work, and are free to practice their faith provided that they do not engage in any proselytizing), thieir connection with Israel, coupled with their general opposition to the Islamic government, leads to them being suspected of being an Israeli fifth column in Iran.

Then there's also the fact that most Muslims see the acceptance of any prophet after Muhammad as heretical. The Bahais accept Muhammad as a prophet but believe in Bahaullah as well, so Muslims generally view them as a heretical breakaway sect. I'd guess that typical Muslim views about the Bahais are likely comparable to pious Christians' views of, say, the Mormons.
Chaz

Mount Pleasant, SC

#5 May 14, 2009
RuckRuck wrote:
""The Islamic teachings call for the right to free worship," said Munira Syeda, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles chapter of CAIR.
Oh yeah? Has she told that to Saudi Arabia where Jews are forbidden to come and all other religions are forbidden to worship in public, build places of worship or bring in their holy texts? If a CAIR rep is talking, you can be sure it's a lie.
Saudi religious hardliners practice Wahhabism (a strict, almost taliban-like interpretation). In fact, they admit that it is an interpretation. Not to mention that there is a lot of differing opinions in the general populace vs the government. There's maybe about 52 million people in SA if I remember correctly. There are almost 2 billion muslims worldwide including nations where women have been elected to the highest position in the land. So I fail to see how a single nation's government (especially considering SA doesn't even comprise 3% of the world's muslim population) whose management is not mimicked in most 'muslim' nations is directly relevant. That's like saying all blacks are represented by drug dealers and gangsters. Unless of course you think guys like Colin Powell and Bill Cosby are drugdealing thugs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bahai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Opinion: Iran should stand trial for persecutio... (Oct '14) Oct '14 henry 1
News Persecuted in Iran, Baha'is worse off in Iraq (Sep '14) Sep '14 Shaq 1
News Faith Forum: What religion does God follow? (Nov '12) Feb '14 Hilarious 47
News Supreme Court to hear new case on religion in p... (Nov '13) Nov '13 woodtick57 6
Baha'i Fallacies and Contradictions (May '08) Oct '13 RonPrice9 36
News Interfaith Initiative Centre County | A journey... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kathwynn 1
News They gave up their lives for their faith (Jun '13) Jul '13 Trisha 14
More from around the web