Atheism is not Science

Nov 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Awarded after your tenth article is published on MyNews24. You've got 15 more to go to reach the next level! Thanks to Benedict Neiman I have to write yet another definition of Atheism, I think we need to create a standard set of posts, explaining the basics, in simple words, written very slowly so the weak of mind may keep up.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Nov 13, 2013

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

"Benedict Neiman, Atheism is a disbelief in Deities. That is it. There is nothing more and nothing less. There is no God is the war cry of the Atheist." So far sort of good, not very precise but not "atheist's are evil F***ers eyhwaeryaqyt!"

"Atheists come in two major camps with sub divisions. You have the Thinking Atheist. This bloke has read everything, His disbelief stems from the fact that he has been unable to find any proof of the existence of a Deity.

This is the most dangerous type of Atheist to debate because he has probably reached his belief because he was very involved in some form of religion in his past. He has studied that religion and possibly looked at a few alternatives as well." This is is going to set a tone isn't it because if it is I like it, I'm glad that there isn't anything yet to hate about. To put things in perspective I almost never see this statement coming from a theist, even from "sophisticated theology".

"In this camp there are those that are absolutely certain there is no God and those that allow for the possibility. The ones that are absolutely certain will not be moved. The others may and will convert to your brand of Religion if faced with total and absolute proof." oh dear he said "absolutely certain there is no God"

"The next Camp is what I like to call Rebellious Atheists. They have read about this Atheism thing and are joiners and this seems cooler than Jesus. It may be thet these people have suffered a death in the family, Are pissed at their skypilot and are looking at alternatives, Some will back slide and become religious again. Their atheism is not based on knowledge but on emotion." Despite gut feeling this is not a statement to hate on, this class of atheist do need to be dealt with/prevented so lets leave the emotion over reason to the religious.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

"You made a comment that suggested that Science and Atheism are entwined. You mentioned evolution which is accepted by many religious folk, that do not subscribe to Young Earth Creationism. My point here is that Evolution is accepted as fact by more than just a few Atheist nuts. It is not the preserve of Atheists, nor is it it essential that Atheists understand it in order to become Atheist.

Did you know that there are a group of people out there that believe we are descended from an Alien Race. These people can be termed Atheist as they don't believe in Deities but they absolutely believe that Aliens came to this planet and had nookie with one of the Ancestors of Man and created a new race called Homo sapiens. Crazy right?

The Big Bang theory is another theory you mentioned in the same sentence as Atheists, Once again this is current thinking on the origins, This theory is accepted by a wide spectrum of people, Personally I don't give it much thought, It's not something that I care about, It doesn't matter to me if we were once a ball of dust, the result of an explosion, or even created, There are far more important and current things to keep me occupied. I have not seen any conclusive evidence one way or the other, but will admit I have not researched this topic.

Just know that Science is not Atheism, and Atheism is not Science, Scientific theory has helped many an Atheist come to conclusions, Others became Atheist because they studied religion. I read my Bible from cover to cover, then again because I was confused the first time. My Atheism stems (so this is why he could make reasonable points about what atheism is!) from the fact that the Bible, The inerrant word of God, the Omniscient, Omnipresent, and Omnipotent God, couldn't even guide the authors to agree on the basics.

Yes I have been told that I didn't read with understanding, but as I read the English words I noticed many variations and absolute contradictions. At the time I was very involved in Church, throwing my bread upon the waters, doing Bible studies, even speaking in tongues so that those around me didn't know that God was ignoring me, My Holy Spiritanese was lacking, so my understanding of the Bible has to be English. I even read a few chapters in Afrikaans.

The Holy Bible being such a load of Gobbeldygook made me aware that Christianity was just so much codswallop."

In short science and atheism do not need to be together as atheism can easily be strong with just the contents of religious holy books. I see nothing wrong with this as a whole but I can explain why science and atheism are used like they go hand in hand.

The reason why religion and science conflict is not different ideas it's the fact that science has method and religion does not. When science gets something wrong or has someone lie for the sake of personal interest, it is always a scientist who call BS because the overall method used is the same everywhere and allows the possibility of revision, as the source of the claim does not matter all are equal in the court of peer review.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Religion however is based on the idea that there is someone better than you as they have access to "special knowledge", and that this knowledge is not for the normal masses to question usually this is due to a God. However because it separates itself from the masses it turns into a shouting match between the religions and their denominations, this is due to the fact that "believers" don't think they can question effectively so they just go with what the priest said. This affects science as when someone says things like "we go round the sun" the churches become spiteful because if a normal man can question things on the "higher plane" effectively, even if he were to conclude in it's favor what would be the use of priests?

Thats why whenever the "normal" try to go over the head of the church they act like the upper class seeing a plebeian in their rich man clubs, "they went out line" "how can he know better than us?" "we must teach him his place!". If you treat the statements of God as something equal to "sun around the earth or earth around the sun?", even if you are a believer all it's teachings the priests will hate you for bring the higher plane down to earth for all to understand. If we can all understand the bible without a priest, the priest is out of a job... But this is exactly what science and in many cases philosophy does. Under science all things can be understood without altering your your mind, the only things you need are your ordinary senses and the right method.

This is why atheists claim science for their own, it has been deemed heretical for so long we got to use it with little intellectual resistance. Only now has religion tried to gain some form of foot hold, whether or not they can is a different matter but it cannot be denied that religion gave us science because it didn't use for so long.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

5:34 pm, Thursday, November 7, 2013:
RE: Atheism is not Science
..... And believing something, anything, without reason is not Science either.
..... However Social science is involved in clergy actually trying to make people better, and much improve whole societies. For example if everybody on this planet would forgive everybody else everything, then there would be no violence, nor wars, no killings, no wounding,
..... But people, even fanatic believers, do NOT obey the requirements of their religions.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

QUITTNER wrote:
5:34 pm, Thursday, November 7, 2013:
..... And believing something, anything, without reason is not Science either.
..... However Social science is involved in clergy actually trying to make people better, and much improve whole societies. For example if everybody on this planet would forgive everybody else everything, then there would be no violence, nor wars, no killings, no wounding,
..... But people, even fanatic believers, do NOT obey the requirements of their religions.
I.m sorry what is your point? I can see it due to a lack of basic structure.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

9:27 am Sunday, November 10, 2013:
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
I.m sorry what is your point? I can see it due to a lack of basic structure.
..... In the past there were attempts by clergy to be the government, such as these days Muslims demand Sharia law to replace the normal laws. But how can a government enforce that you must be nice to everybody, alwys forgive everybody everything, never steal, no adultery, etc. etc.? Could religions somehow use science to enfoce morality? Then atheism would advocate a secular government as an alternative, without that science. And morality would then be (again?) as bad as it is now.
..... Unfortunately history shows that human nature cannot be hanged. Compare with animal nature.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

QUITTNER wrote:
9:27 am Sunday, November 10, 2013:
<quoted text>
..... In the past there were attempts by clergy to be the government, such as these days Muslims demand Sharia law to replace the normal laws. But how can a government enforce that you must be nice to everybody, alwys forgive everybody everything, never steal, no adultery, etc. etc.? Could religions somehow use science to enfoce morality? Then atheism would advocate a secular government as an alternative, without that science. And morality would then be (again?) as bad as it is now.
..... Unfortunately history shows that human nature cannot be hanged. Compare with animal nature.
So you answer my request for clarity in the same way as your first post which I said was unclear... And you expect me to understand you now?!
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

2:11 pm, Sunday, November 19, 2013:
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
So you answer my request for clarity in the same way as your first post which I said was unclear... And you expect me to understand you now?!
..... Your knowledge of English will improve in time. Be happy!

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

QUITTNER wrote:
2:11 pm, Sunday, November 19, 2013:
<quoted text>
..... Your knowledge of English will improve in time. Be happy!
Thats not the issue here. Almost nothing you say flows, and I say almost because this is the only thing that made sense.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Atheism isn't a science, but it is much more reasonable than religion.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

My non belief is due mainly to the scientific method.
emperorjohn wrote:
Atheism isn't a science, but it is much more reasonable than religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 44 min Patrick 224,391
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 45 min Patrick 388
What does "Atheism" mean? 47 min Patrick 20
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr richardfs 6
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 15 hr Liam R 21
Talking some sense into you people... 18 hr Cujo 27
Our world came from nothing? 20 hr Carchar king 243
•••
•••