Oppression of atheists

Jan 6, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 166

The case that atheists are oppressed has a germ of truth in it - but like all media proclamations, one might find the facts are not exactly square with the analysis proffered to the public at large.

Full Story

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#81 Jan 19, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>How about you try doing what I did? I died, I bled to death, and there was nothing there. Emergency room personal, refused to give up on me, and after I was dead, a IV line was started in my foot. Which with that and the paddles, things got going again.
I have spent a large part of my adult years as a first responder, I've seen death much more often than I am comfortable with. I've seen people fight it, I've seen people accept it. I've seen people come back from it, and the truth is if they were expecting blue spaceships to carry them to Valhalla, then it would be blue spaceships, that they claimed to have seen, and never does one who is expecting Allah, see Jesus, nor does one who is expecting Poseidon, get to see Pele. The god you are taught that you will see, is who you will imagine, and when you are dead .... the imagining stops.
The people on this planet who will trick you into believing whatever it is, that will benefit them, are too many to count, and you are far from the only one who has been righteously snookered.
I've already replied to this but it doesn't seem to have come up?!?

Firstly, let me congratulate you for being a First Responder, truly admirable.

Now then, no one has tricked me into seeing spirits, that is something that happens on its own once in a blue moon, therefore I have no doubts life of some sort exists after death.

Could it be that your spirit never left your body, or perhaps there isn't life after death as you claim.

I have no doubt there is, one day we shall both find out one way or the other, neither of us have anything to lose.

Egyptian Lass here will be disappointed that there are no 72 virgins waiting for him on the other side, just giants who I am sure will want to have their way with him.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#82 Jan 19, 2013
Egyptian_lad wrote:
<quoted text>
If Islam is divisive, misogynistic and willing to destroy the entire planet to wipe out everyone who isn't Muslim???
Why xtians and pagans,jews existed by islamic rule over middle east?
Answer yourself.....Atheist loser
The religion of peace wasnt involved in killing over 20 million people by 2nd world war
Actually you atheists,xtians,jews are more evil and more anti-islamic than muslims
Just explore your great history of murder and genocides against humanity
Let's see, first of all ..... I don't have a great history of murder and genocides against humanity. If you are referring to Hitler, he was Christain, and so was Nazi Germany at the time. The Communists were a political party intent on political power.

>> Why xtians and pagans,jews existed by islamic rule over middle east? <<, See that? I have no idea what it means, so I can't answer it. If there were a coherent thought in it, I could. Correct yourself you Islamic loser!

The following attempt at constructing a sentence is also utter failure. >>> If Islam is divisive, misogynistic and willing to destroy the entire planet to wipe out everyone who isn't Muslim??? <<< Get an education, and wake up.

There are no gods. Peace is not forged by violence and hatred. Nor by removing the clitoris from young girls. Did you know it is exactly, as it would be if boys had their penis's and scrotom cut off. It is the same embryonic tissue which becomes either clitoris or penis, depending on hormones.

Imagine how freaked Allah-tool would get, if all men were to be relieved of their genitalia, like the girls are. Prove your religion isn't misogynistic, start cutting off penis's at the same rate clitoris's are sliced from living human beings.

You are pushing a tool, you are using the god/religion tool called Allah, to help fill mans power needs.

Your next sentence >> Actually you atheists,xtians,jews are more evil and more anti-islamic than muslims <<. Muslims are anti-Islamic? Wouldn't that be considered self hatred?

Don't diss the Jews, if they hadn't had a religion, you lot and the Christains couldn't have stole it and reworked it to cover your own strange fetishes. Thighing: Ring a bell?

The word atheist simply means without theology, or more simply,'not a theist'. Actually every human is atheist, until they are indoctrinated into whatever geographically or family inherited religion, that they will use against other humans to establish their superiority for having it.

The gods are reflections of their creators, and the one Jewish/Christian/Muslim god tool is exactly what we would expect sexually insecure and hate filled racist men to create.

Did you get your feelers hurt? Tough turkey! Are you female, do you get 70 males virgins, when you get to heaven? Do you get your sex organs back so you too can have a real sex life after death?

Earth,TX

#83 Jan 19, 2013
Egyptian_lad wrote:
More anti-human than muslims*
I'm glad you see the anti-humanity of Islam, actually of all the desert religions, the Muslems seem to have it in the greatest supply. Post # 80 says it all. Thank you george whyte.

Earth,TX

#84 Jan 19, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already replied to this but it doesn't seem to have come up?!?
Firstly, let me congratulate you for being a First Responder, truly admirable.
Now then, no one has tricked me into seeing spirits, that is something that happens on its own once in a blue moon, therefore I have no doubts life of some sort exists after death.
Could it be that your spirit never left your body, or perhaps there isn't life after death as you claim.
I have no doubt there is, one day we shall both find out one way or the other, neither of us have anything to lose.
Egyptian Lass here will be disappointed that there are no 72 virgins waiting for him on the other side, just giants who I am sure will want to have their way with him.
I am retired now, the most involved I get now, is participation in some community fund raisers, or I may direct traffic around a scene occasionally, I leave all that "life or death", to the younger and faster emergency personnel. It was extremely rewarding work, and as heartbreaking as anything could be. I would do it all over again, but I can't recommend it as a life's work, it's too emotionally draining.

My heart beat and breathing had stopped, obviously I was not yet brain dead. And a spirit per se, I don't have. There is no indefinable wispy something which can either be rewarded or punished after I cease to be. That in itself would defeat who we are. As a human there is no 'forever' anything that I could even be forced to accept. I will want to stop, just quit being at some point, if I live long enough. And the possibility of forever without wonder, without indecision, without fear of failure. How could there be any joy in that? To know that the tedium of endlessly going on without any pains of any type, while others are endlessly screaming in agony. That is not reward, that is insanity. I want no part of it.

I too have experienced things beyond my ken, such as ESP. I had a conversation with a comatose relative, dying some 5000 miles from where I sat in my home. It was I who informed my family that the conversation had stopped at the moment of his death. He was a John Doe, and it was several days later before he was identified, and the family notified of his passing. I had a similar event happen when a brother had been seriously injured, and was near death. That too stopped when he woke up, and managed to let emergency room personal know how to find us.

While we live, we humans are incredible machines. Dead we simply are no more. Even a regressed past life, seems contrived of mere wishes. There are a billion past lives lived as Cleopatra, and a billion Caesars, but only less than a dozen or so, of Anyh`ant the camel dung toter or Mepaun the disposer of the master's night water or their human equivalents, in the history of the world.

Scary scenario, for those who seek biblical heaven. No women will be there, and biblically speaking the "bridegroom cometh". The bride is male, virgin and Jewish, and he is his god's own reward.
Lincoln

United States

#85 Jan 19, 2013
<quoted text>Let's see, first of all ..... I don't have a great history of murder and genocides against humanity. If you are referring to Hitler, he was Christain, and so was Nazi Germany at the time..........
Atheists need to find the Nazis as Christians.
One course in World War II history would cure this fantasy

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#86 Jan 19, 2013
Egyptian_lad wrote:
Atheists must convert to islam
You will not lose anything if you became a muslim
what will you lose?
Freedom, freedom from religion, and inability to be freethinkers.
Egyptian_lad wrote:
If u live in peace, islam wants you to live in peace
If you against violence,islam is against violence
If you believe in charity and other great cause favors, Islam dedicates the same idea and charity is one of islamic pillars
Many of us live very peaceful lives without your brand of woo-woo.
Thank you very much!

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#87 Jan 19, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear, little atheist telling me I lie now.
I'll try to have a camera handy next time I see a spook.
Do you hear voices too? If so, try to have a recording device handy next time you hear one.

Earth,TX

#88 Jan 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists need to find the Nazis as Christians.
One course in World War II history would cure this fantasy
Ok, found one, what now?

The current pope was one of Hitler's baby Nazis. What exactly does not being a theist have to do with that?

Rhetorical question: the answer is "nothing at all".

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#89 Jan 19, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you hear voices too? If so, try to have a recording device handy next time you hear one.
No funnily enough, do you?

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#90 Jan 19, 2013
Just out of interest Reason Personified, what Topix site are you reading this on?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#91 Jan 20, 2013
Humanism has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods.

Humanism is a system if belief in how people should treat each other, whether religious or not.

The reason theists relate humanism to atheism is that they have their religions to tell them how to treat other people, which has overlaps with humanism.

Atheist humanists, on the other hand, don't have religious beliefs telling us how to treat other people. We have no bible telling us to hate homosexuality.

We depend on reason rather than dogma.

And to even consider that we are not oppressed, just think what would happen if we were to start openly refuting religious dogma in the Bible Belt. I got flipped off in Massachusetts for my bumper stickers. I would probably be beaten or killed for them in the Bible Belt.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#92 Jan 20, 2013
Trisha wrote:
It's a fact that Muslim ruled lands have oppressed and suppressed atheists and pagans.
As have Christian ruled lands.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#93 Jan 20, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>I dunno though, I'm sure most of us on here have had supernatural experiences of some sort?
Like what?

I've had experiences that may be hard to explain, but that doesn't make them supernatural. It makes them hard to explain.

Nothing more.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#94 Jan 20, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Agree. I think a minority of American extremists give the rest a bad name.
As in all belief systems, extremism is the enemy.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#95 Jan 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Like what?
I've had experiences that may be hard to explain, but that doesn't make them supernatural. It makes them hard to explain.
Nothing more.
Doesn't matter, you'd only rubbish them anyway.
Lincoln

United States

#96 Jan 20, 2013
atheists are unpopular but often well meaning.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#97 Jan 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
atheists are unpopular but often well meaning.
I've got nothing against atheists, or any other belief and religion. It's when these so called pious people, atheists included become fundamental and intolerant of others beliefs and thoughts.

Fundamentalists of all religions, including atheists deserve everything they get back.

Earth,TX

#98 Jan 20, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
Just out of interest Reason Personified, what Topix site are you reading this on?
Atheism Forum, it's pretty much the only topix spot for me

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#100 Jan 20, 2013
<quoted text>Atheism Forum, it's pretty much the only topix spot for me
Gotcha, I'm on the Islam forum.

Earth,TX

#99 Jan 20, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got nothing against atheists, or any other belief and religion. It's when these so called pious people, atheists included become fundamental and intolerant of others beliefs and thoughts.
Fundamentalists of all religions, including atheists deserve everything they get back.
Atheism is the lack of theism, nothing more. Common usage of the word, includes the non-believer being designated as atheist, but the words actual meaning is 'not theist'.
To resist in any way possible, the steam roller that is religion, is self preservation. Call it fundamentalism if you wish, but I will not quietly be forced into any dogmas net. When another's beliefs are being forced into law by which I must abide, my rights are being trampled. So no, you don't get your way, when you wish to enforce your beliefs on me. No prayer in school, no faith based initiatives, no tax breaks for the entertainments industry biggest freeloader ....... religion.
I don't deserve my rights being trampled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 min oneear69 22,431
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 14 min Eagle 12 227,883
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 2 hr Patrick 4,512
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr John K 493
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 4 hr Patrick 9
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 4 hr Barbarian 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 4 hr Patrick 141
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE