Oppression of atheists

Jan 6, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 166

The case that atheists are oppressed has a germ of truth in it - but like all media proclamations, one might find the facts are not exactly square with the analysis proffered to the public at large.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#21 Jan 11, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
?
The technical term is called confirmation bias.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#22 Jan 11, 2013
Nope, still not got it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#23 Jan 11, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
Nope, still not got it.
It's a combination of anthropomorphism and wish induced delusion. The same reason we see clouds that look like sheep in the sky.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#24 Jan 11, 2013
ok then.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#25 Jan 11, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
UFO's? I'm skeptical.
Exorcisms? Nah!
All of those who claim to be possessed have several things in common, they are believers and they willingly share the tale of possession with other believers.

Atheist are often accused by the religitards, of being possessed, though the demons inhabiting atheist seldom draw any notice to themselves. Just so you know the difference, here is how to tell, the possessed from the not possessed.

The "not possessed by demons" atheist pays bills, does laundry, clocks in at work, gasses up the mini van, drives the mother-in-law to her bridge games and cooks dinner. Now compare that to the "possessed by demons" atheist, who pays bills, does laundry, clocks in at work, gasses up the mini van, drives the mother-in-law to her bridge games, cooks dinner and posts on topix as an atheist.

Earth,TX

#26 Jan 11, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno though, I'm sure most of us on here have had supernatural experiences of some sort?
I died, and there was absolutely nothing there.

But just in case you didn't know, non-believers in those last moments of life, while their brain is shutting down, see no gods, angels or pearly gates. No Hindu at the same stage will see any of that either, it will only be seen by those who believe that it is what they are going to see. Has any Christain that you know of ever seen Ganesh or Pele, at the moment of their deaths? No, they haven't but those two gods will be seen by those who believe in them. Making all gods equally false.

“Alea iacta est!”

Since: Oct 06

Oh it's ON!

#27 Jan 11, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno though, I'm sure most of us on here have had supernatural experiences of some sort?
I have, but I still don't know what to make of it.

What I do know is that unless your beliefs do not lead you to endanger my liberties, my life and my country, you're entitled to believe in whatever you like.

And of course Supersonic Boom is a perfect gentleman.

:)
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#28 Jan 12, 2013
Plus image processing short cuts that work "fast" but occasionally "get it wrong".
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a combination of anthropomorphism and wish induced delusion. The same reason we see clouds that look like sheep in the sky.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#29 Jan 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Plus image processing short cuts that work "fast" but occasionally "get it wrong".
<quoted text>
I was trying to keep it simple. ;)
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#30 Jan 13, 2013
Fair enough- you have a lot of simple people disagreeing with you.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I was trying to keep it simple. ;)
Anonymous

Decatur, GA

#31 Jan 13, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I died, and there was absolutely nothing there.
But just in case you didn't know, non-believers in those last moments of life, while their brain is shutting down, see no gods, angels or pearly gates. No Hindu at the same stage will see any of that either, it will only be seen by those who believe that it is what they are going to see. Has any Christain that you know of ever seen Ganesh or Pele, at the moment of their deaths? No, they haven't but those two gods will be seen by those who believe in them. Making all gods equally false.
You are looking in the wrong place if you want to know whether there is life after this one.

Earth,TX

#32 Jan 13, 2013
DeckardFootKiss wrote:
<quoted text>
You are looking in the wrong place if you want to know whether there is life after this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Q8DDIe_2cHMXX
I know there is not an afterlife and I am not looking for it. I can't imagine anything more counter productive to humanity.

Imagine even one minute of knowing that almost all humans ever born are being forever tortured for billions upon billions of eons. It would take pure insanity to be Ok, with that.

You've got a life, maximize it. Learn, play, love, teach. Your heaven is the here and now, to lose it in return for a promised impossiblity, would be pure hell.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#33 Jan 13, 2013
DeckardFootKiss wrote:
<quoted text>
You are looking in the wrong place if you want to know whether there is life after this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Q8DDIe_2cHMXX
So let me get this straight, one person's word is better than another's just because they agree with you? Fail.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#34 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>to lose it in return for a promised impossiblity, would be pure hell.
Why would it be pure hell once you're dead, according to you there is no afterlife, remember?

Earth,TX

#35 Jan 13, 2013
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would it be pure hell once you're dead, according to you there is no afterlife, remember?
To not live now would be akin to hell, why would you punish yourself so? To not celebrate every minute of this, your only life, would be like hell. To not live, even one second in fear of things that do not exist. You make your own hell now, and there is nothing else. Zombie Jesus came back some two thousand years ago, the rapture occurred long ago, in another land.
meh

Melbourne, Australia

#36 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Irony meter went haywire on that one.
First, if your assertions were half true, then wouldn't "flacid" be a desired effect?
Second, it does not surprise me that you would side with an enabler.
An enabler?
Thats what you need along with a beard, moustache and a haircut.
When you go into a butcher shop and the customer in front of you asks the butcher for 120 pounds of prime mince does he automatically point to you?
Have you started wearing nappies yet?
Oh thats right, they wouldnt be necessary seeing as no-one wants to bend you over
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#37 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>
To not live now would be akin to hell, why would you punish yourself so? To not celebrate every minute of this, your only life, would be like hell. To not live, even one second in fear of things that do not exist. You make your own hell now, and there is nothing else. Zombie Jesus came back some two thousand years ago, the rapture occurred long ago, in another land.
I don't live in fear of an afterlife, sorry to disappoint you, but I actually feel comfortable about the possibility of my spirit going on into an afterlife wherever that may be.
I also live my life to the full without fear.
Anonymous

Snellville, GA

#38 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight, one person's word is better than another's just because they agree with you? Fail.
I use archaeology to investigated the validity of the Bible and Quran. Like I have learned that Islam is false because they claim that Abraham (whose tomb is in Hebron, Israel), built the Kaaba in the center of Mecca. I believe Abraham is said to have lived around 2100 BC. Where are there artifacts of Mecca, before the 4th century AD? Can you name one ancient historian who mention Mecca by name before that time, like all real prequranic towns?
Anonymous

Snellville, GA

#39 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>I know there is not an afterlife and I am not looking for it. I can't imagine anything more counter productive to humanity.
Imagine even one minute of knowing that almost all humans ever born are being forever tortured for billions upon billions of eons. It would take pure insanity to be Ok, with that.
You've got a life, maximize it. Learn, play, love, teach. Your heaven is the here and now, to lose it in return for a promised impossiblity, would be pure hell.
What about all of the other people who don't have it as well? I went to L.A. for a business trip and saw teenagers asleep under a bridge. This world is messed up beyond repair. I could never be happy when I see others so bad off, no matter I good I personally have it. Is this really all you ever hope for? What a shit hole this planet is!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#40 Jan 14, 2013
DeckardFootKiss wrote:
<quoted text>
What about all of the other people who don't have it as well? I went to L.A. for a business trip and saw teenagers asleep under a bridge. This world is messed up beyond repair. I could never be happy when I see others so bad off, no matter I good I personally have it. Is this really all you ever hope for? What a shit hole this planet is!
Oh, so you support universal healthcare and other social support programs. Good for you!

And you don't have to go to LA to see that, it's right here in Georgia too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Siro is writing a new book 4 min Siro 2
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 14 min woodtick57 760
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 27 min Friend of all 14,431
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Igor Trip 231,727
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Morse 1,418
10) Experts debate reality of God (May '10) 11 hr Thetruth 8,933
Evidence for God! Wed Morse 181

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE