|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Here's a line for the YouTube video:

"We live in an ocean of insanity when it comes to religion." - Cenk Uygur

Women Banned From Straddling Motorcycles in Indonesia

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

""In the name of honoring women, the mayor of Lhokseumawe, in Aceh, Indonesia, recently announced he would prohibit them from straddling motorcycles or bicycles when given a ride. It's in the best interests of women to ride sidesaddle, Suaidi Yahya told the Jakarta Globe, because when they ride with their legs open they are prone to break Shari'a law."*

Women in Indonesia have been banned from straddling motorbikes and will have to ride with both legs to one side. They also can't hold onto a man driving the bike. Is this "morality" being touted over safety for the women? Cenk Uygur and Ana Kasparian break it down."

Related article:

Indonesia City to Prohibit Women Passengers from Straddling Motorcycles

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/07/indonesia...
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Lol! And some Indonesians wish to get science out and the teaching of English language out of primary schools. The best time for a child to learn a foreign language is might be below the age of seven or eight.

(Religion. You can't live with it and you can't live with it :-)

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Holy flying dogturds! This goes beyond stupid. Oh but this is the same religion that believes in the holy she-camel of Allah.

:sigh:
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

There's always some kindly religious type looking out for women's rights, isn't there?

Bastard.
Amused

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Perhaps I should offer him a ride on the back of my Wide Glide. He can ride side-saddle and not hold on to me. By the time I get to 4th gear, I'll bet he has a whole new perspective on passengers' "best interests". Or a serious case of road rash.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Castrate him. It's not women who have this issue, it's him.
Amused wrote:
Perhaps I should offer him a ride on the back of my Wide Glide. He can ride side-saddle and not hold on to me. By the time I get to 4th gear, I'll bet he has a whole new perspective on passengers' "best interests". Or a serious case of road rash.
Amused

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Castrate him. It's not women who have this issue, it's him.
<quoted text>
Well, obviously there is a problem, and the problem is not with the women. On the other hand, urging that he be mutilated for having an incorrect perception sounds rather a bit like the reaction of a muslim fundie more than the reaction of a rational atheist. Yes, his ideas are rooted in ignorance. But they are really not his ideas. They are the ideas of a religion that is intolerant, bigoted and misogynistic. They are ideas that were planted in his head when he was too young to think critically about them. They are ideas that were drilled into him as a child and as a student. They are ideas that were never questioned by anyone he came into contact with, by any book he was allowed to read, any television or radio program or movie he was allowed to watch or listen to. If you or I were born into that place at that time, is there any doubt we would have the same ideas. Or at least, if we had any doubts, that we would keep those doubts to ourselves and continue to spout the party line out of fear of the consequences of speaking out?

Certainly, the ideas are wrong, and need to be challenged. The people who express these ideas should be educated. But to urge harm to them is wrong.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

He's obviously a danger to women.
He'd have a better life castrated.
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, obviously there is a problem, and the problem is not with the women. On the other hand, urging that he be mutilated for having an incorrect perception sounds rather a bit like the reaction of a muslim fundie more than the reaction of a rational atheist. Yes, his ideas are rooted in ignorance. But they are really not his ideas. They are the ideas of a religion that is intolerant, bigoted and misogynistic. They are ideas that were planted in his head when he was too young to think critically about them. They are ideas that were drilled into him as a child and as a student. They are ideas that were never questioned by anyone he came into contact with, by any book he was allowed to read, any television or radio program or movie he was allowed to watch or listen to. If you or I were born into that place at that time, is there any doubt we would have the same ideas. Or at least, if we had any doubts, that we would keep those doubts to ourselves and continue to spout the party line out of fear of the consequences of speaking out?
Certainly, the ideas are wrong, and need to be challenged. The people who express these ideas should be educated. But to urge harm to them is wrong.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

They don't call Harley's Milwaukee Vibrators for nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Catcher1 224,351
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 7 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 7 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 14 hr religionisillness 24
•••
•••