so you think you know the second amendment?

Dec 23, 2012 Full story: www.newyorker.com

For more than a hundred years, the answer was clear -- the courts had found that the first part, the “militia clause,” trumped the second part, the “bear arms” clause. In other words, according to the Supreme Court, and the lower courts as well, the amendment conferred on state militias a right to bear arms—but did not give individuals a right to own or carry a weapon.

Until around 1977 ...

Full Story

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1 Dec 23, 2012
I did not realize how much the interpretation had changed.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#2 Dec 23, 2012
Why would "armed militia" ever refer to anything but national defense?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3 Dec 23, 2012
It seems so clear that the second amendment is out of date and irrelevant to modern circumstances.(Similarly: the UK monarchy, unelected members of an upper house, segregated 'faith' schools and an established state church). Perhaps what our democracies lack is a truly living and responsive constitution.

Maybe the function of an upper house ought to be to change the constitution as and when required? Currently, systems can seem self-perpetuating and too slow to change with the times.
Amused

Newburyport, MA

#4 Dec 26, 2012
Apart from the fondness of theists for using firearms on those whose theology differs from theirs, what does the Second Amendment have to do with atheism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min Eagle 12 227,527
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 1 hr Patrick 758
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr TheHeadlines 89
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr TheHeadlines 22,214
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr TheHeadlines 75
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr TheHeadlines 58
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 2 hr TheHeadlines 4,093
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE