Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 9,994)

Showing posts 199,861 - 199,880 of223,052
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Radio_Teles...
What I see is spiralling matter getting chewed up and spit out perpendicular to the spiral.
One each whirlpool.
What you see isn't the whole picture.

As the matter gets close to the event horizon, the atoms are ionize. That makes them moving charged particles..that is...a current. And, as you should know, a current produces a magnetic field at right angles to the current. Since this current is in a spiraling disk, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the disk.

This magnetic field grabs some of the charged ions and hurls them outward at tremendous velocity...near the speed of light. This is the resulting jet of matter.

And even what you said, while far from completely correct, puts the lie to your claim that the jets are coming out of the black hole itself and somehow "disprove" black holes.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electrici...

Your scientific Bible verse for the morning.

In the beginning....

there was no charge.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
What you see isn't the whole picture.
As the matter gets close to the event horizon, the atoms are ionize. That makes them moving charged particles..that is...a current. And, as you should know, a current produces a magnetic field at right angles to the current. Since this current is in a spiraling disk, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the disk.
This magnetic field grabs some of the charged ions and hurls them outward at tremendous velocity...near the speed of light. This is the resulting jet of matter.
And even what you said, while far from completely correct, puts the lie to your claim that the jets are coming out of the black hole itself and somehow "disprove" black holes.
Hawking said there is no event horizon.

When there was you had this mysterious magical hole in space where things disappeared into neverneverland. That was your "scientific" approach.

I didn't say there was a "hole". I compared the process to something like a turbine. You have charge and motion being directed into collision. It starts unwinding the atoms, most of which aren't neutral to begin with.

That is not a pure monolithic process, but can appear so from a distance. You are looking at the generic flow and effect.

Do not discount my barycenter observation. Analyze that gravitational force as a beam between two objects and those beams from many objects wrapping around that common point. That is a force being interfered with and wrapped up. Something similar happens in atoms.

The models and definitions used for the forces are archaic. They need to get away from being "objects" and more into processes.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what you can't solder two male copper fittings together?
Could you possibly come up with a more irrelevant argument?
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
When there was you had this mysterious magical hole in space where things disappeared into neverneverland. That was your "scientific" approach.
I didn't say there was a "hole". I compared the process to something like a turbine. You have charge and motion being directed into collision. It starts unwinding the atoms, most of which aren't neutral to begin with.
That is not a pure monolithic process, but can appear so from a distance. You are looking at the generic flow and effect.
Do not discount my barycenter observation. Analyze that gravitational force as a beam between two objects and those beams from many objects wrapping around that common point. That is a force being interfered with and wrapped up. Something similar happens in atoms.
The models and definitions used for the forces are archaic. They need to get away from being "objects" and more into processes.
Ignorant runt who believes the earth is 3000 years old based on no evidence.

When you are capable of understanding that science is based on verified reality, then you get to speak.

Otherwise we are simply entertaining a mentally ill religious fool.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

River Tam wrote:
So indecency is relative to you?
Of course it is.

It is for you, too.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems as though gay men wear women's clothes to stand out, to tell everyone "hey look at me, the gay guy. Aren't I incredible?"
<quoted text>
I've known only one gay guy that was masculine.
But the gays that you and I have known do not represent the whole.
Women are inferior to men in some regards, yes. In turn, men are inferior to women in some regards. This is basic nature.
<quoted text>
Hell yes!
He's sticking his schlong into a male butthole.
There's nothing homosexual about that, right?
<quoted text>
What past of my post did you interpret as a hatred of gays or a desire to beat them up?
Tell me that, fucknugget.
Every part of your posts on homosexuality point to hatred of gays. You perhaps don't admit it to yourself, but it is there.

And you might note that I did not say you wanted to beat up gays. I ASKED if you wanted to beat up gays?

Do you approve of Russia's anti-gay legislation? One side effect of that has been the physical manifestation of the public's hatred of gays, resulting in beatings. There have even been cases where the police, rather than protecting the beaten, have joined in the beating.

Words have consequences. The prejudice you show toward gays could well end in someone else taking it too far.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's our advantage. All you do is accept ancient values on faith and think about them no further. As you note, we have to answer to ourselves.
"Think about them no further".....

That's what y'all rely think, huh?

You think we read "Jesus is my Savior" and that's it, we accept it, no need to study it or question it.

You're flat out wrong.

Your words hurt Christians.

You don't care.

Christianophobe.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep trying to sound scientific, but its embarrassing hearing you trying to defend your Creationist Cult that never presents any evidence for god, or against evolution.

You are the last of your cult, unable to convert anybody towards your stupid belief-lies.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

lightbeamrider wrote:
Skin color and ethnicity is morally neutral while homosexual conduct is both morally and legally questionable.
"Legally questionable"??? Since when has it been illegal to be homosexual? Not for quite some time...at least in the US.

Do you pray for a return to the days when gays were thrown in jail?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki is your god and Bible, scar?
Why are you trying to pigeonhole me into your limited perspectives? Is that all you are capable of?
Youngblood, there is no difference in how matter and energy gets distributed on this planet and how your TV set does. It's mostly a matter of purity of components and design intent. Perhaps you are aware that lightning and static electricity don't really care if you aren't made of pure copper.
This was noted by mankind a long time ago.
Bet you thought Earth and you were magic and everything else follows physical laws, eh?
Oh, that's right, you're from NC.
Bwhahahahahahahahaha topix atheists, what an anomoly

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
You haven't made your case. In my opinion, it is not the church's place to be trying to dictate public policy. People outside of the church seem to want gay marriage legalized. What business is it of the church to oppose that? What is its legitimate role in politics?
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure that without church input, same sex marriage would be legal. The evidence for that is that its becoming legal in more and more jurisdictions anyway despite the church.
Also, the church vilifies itself by meddling in the affairs of non-Christians. Is it so surprising that those who don't share your values resent you imposing them on their lives?.
"It's the church's fault!!!" -IANS

Tell me, why isn't gay marriage legal in Japan? Why isn't it even being considered? Why do less than 25% of Japanese citizens think it should be legal?

The Japan church?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Could you possibly come up with a more irrelevant argument?
You don't know me very well...
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Bwhahahahahahahahaha topix atheists, what an anomoly
Never been a god, trust the religious liars to try to avoid being held accountable for lying about it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The 77 non religious reasons covered that. Work on your comprehension.
RationalWiki offers a rebuttal to your 77 reasons. It is rather devastating.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:77_Reasons
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
SSM is legal in 18 states (soon to be 19 after Utah loses their appeal) plus the District of Columbia. It's coming even faster than I thought it would.
You can't defend your house of cards against a hurricane. Just stand back and watch it fall.
Its all been predicted how depraved man gets and then God makes a visit, how foreboding. Stay the course, we wouldn't want to change prophesy.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

<quoted text>
Agreed, which is why the strategy of secularists has to be to reduce their number if we don't want them determining the standards for the rest of us. We want choices. The faithful need not choose these things for themselves, but in a free society, they also shouldn't be limiting options for others.
You don't suspect that freedom isn't really an important value to the faithful, do you? Some of us suspect that Christianity doesn't teach a respect for it. Are there any scriptures celebrating freedom?
In a lot of places outside of North America and Europe, many religious people consider democracy as being anti-religion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:

It seems as though gay men wear women's clothes to stand out, to tell everyone "hey look at me, the gay guy. Aren't I incredible?"

I've known only one gay guy that was masculine.
But the gays that you and I have known do not represent the whole.
Women are inferior to men in some regards, yes. In turn, men are inferior to women in some regards. This is basic nature.

Hell yes!
He's sticking his schlong into a male butthole.
There's nothing homosexual about that, right?

What past of my post did you interpret as a hatred of gays or a desire to beat them up?
Tell me that, fucknugget.
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

Every part of your posts on homosexuality point to hatred of gays. You perhaps don't admit it to yourself, but it is there.
And you might note that I did not say you wanted to beat up gays. I ASKED if you wanted to beat up gays?
Do you approve of Russia's anti-gay legislation? One side effect of that has been the physical manifestation of the public's hatred of gays, resulting in beatings. There have even been cases where the police, rather than protecting the beaten, have joined in the beating.
Words have consequences. The prejudice you show toward gays could well end in someone else taking it too far.
What prejudice?

What hatred?

Be specific.

You say words have consequences, I agree.

Your words say I'm prejudiced against gays. Your words imply I have a hatred of gays.

Which words of mine imply that?
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Think about them no further".....
That's what y'all rely think, huh?
You think we read "Jesus is my Savior" and that's it, we accept it, no need to study it or question it.
You're flat out wrong.
Your words hurt Christians.
You don't care.
Christianophobe.
No such thing as god. The world is too polite to tell you that your beliefs are stupid. What makes them stupid is that you reject the facts and still hold on to them, trying to convert others towards your stupidity.

What a way to live...

Atheists are free from religious stupidity because we always ask you liars for proof.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If you knew anything about Scripture you would know the answer.
Secular case against gay marriage.
http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/a-secula...
Why should Scripture be of any importance to this discussion? In a secular democracy, it should be rejected as a source of authority. In some areas, such as slavery, it already has been.

In the case of slavery, people have since reinterpreted the Bible, rationalizing, and now claim it is anti-slavery. I think it likely that in the future, people will also reinterpret the Bible and find it supportive of gay people. Religion evolves to fit the times. Otherwise, it becomes irrelevant.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 199,861 - 199,880 of223,052
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••