Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243425 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#208276 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
If you had collapsed matter you would have a lump, not a hole. A really solid object. If you star collapsed to nothing, then the collapse sent everything flying. Which leaves no mass to cause gravity.
Dave. Just leave it alone. Stop embarrassing yourself. You know virtually nothing about black holes. You have made this abundantly clear. Drop it.

I would tell you to read up on Enstein's equations and Schwarzchild's solution to them, but it would probably take you years of study to get to the point where you could understand them.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#208277 Jan 27, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as god. The world is too polite to tell you that your beliefs are stupid. What makes them stupid is that you reject the facts and still hold on to them, trying to convert others towards your stupidity.
What a way to live...
Atheists are free from religious stupidity because we always ask you liars for proof.
Theres going to come a time when you will look like a rat caught in a trap, eyes buldging.

#208278 Jan 27, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not even sure if it's an actual game, as opposed to a video made to look like one.
I've seen it discussed on several blogs. It appears to be a real game, though perhaps not a serious one.

Since: Sep 08

Wiley, CO

#208279 Jan 27, 2014
Ugh. Just smoked my last cigarette and it's cold out there.

Gravity "beams".

Two distant stars each contributing to the total "attraction" which initiates motion.

You have relative "charge" between the two. The barycenter is where the charge difference is balanced out. Mathematically speaking this is a "zero", a null. Physically speaking this is a "charge" in relation to other "charges". It is similar to ground planes of electrical circuits. You can register zero mathematically on one, but if you reach over to another you can get lit up. You will complete a circuit because the universe itself became the original "charged" circuit and everything within are parts of parallel circuits formed within it. All flows go back to that mathematical "zero" of the universe as a whole. This applies to electrical or gravity "flows".

Take a thousand large suns with this gravity "charge" being distributed and the "beams" between them crossing each other and you will get distortion of those individual "flows". The beams get warped at those intersections. Gravity works in straight lines. As the objects spin about each other you have two bodies adding forces in a specific direction. You get a periodic increase in that relative gravitational charge along that line. You get bunches of those things up there and you will have a hard time keeping track of the action.

This straight line and periodic effect is demonstrated in our own solar system. Motion and inertia dampen the effect.

The earth/sun barycenter is almost dead center of the sun. The moon/earth barycenter average is about 45 degrees beneath your feet if you were standing at a Pole. The changes in those straight line relationships are what give us tidal forces. That moon also helps round us out a bit.

I gotta go get some cigarettes.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208280 Jan 27, 2014
So.. Predominantly christian nation, how about this?

Is it true? I did some checking and it certainly seems to be.

What is the church doing about it?

Is homosexuals being able to adopt children and give them a loving home, really the issue in America?

<quoted text>
The United States ranked 34th out of 35 countries in child poverty and welfare rankings, barely beating out Romania. UNICEF documents in their U.N. report “Child Well-Being In Rich Countries: A Comparative Review”, that more than one in five American children – 20%– fall below a relative poverty line. UNICEF defines this rate relatively, rather than with a fixed dollar amount, stating that this means one is living in a household making less than half of the national median.
<quoted text>
http://politicalblindspot.com/u-s-ranks-34th-...

This blows my mind.

#208281 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Do not discount my barycenter observation. Analyze that gravitational force as a beam between two objects and those beams from many objects wrapping around that common point. That is a force being interfered with and wrapped up. Something similar happens in atoms.
This is in part where you go wrong. Your models, such as the one above, don't fit with reality. This is not how gravity works.

And what happens in atoms is quite different. The view of an atom as a tiny solar system is very archaic. That view was dropped in the early 20th century with the rise of quantum mechanics.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#208282 Jan 27, 2014
Keisha-J wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all. Its very definition is faithless.
If one does not believe in a higher being,whatever form that may take, then his existence must be without hope. How sad.
Why would one have to believe in a higher power to have hope? What a ridiculous notion.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#208283 Jan 27, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Never been a god, trust the religious liars to try to avoid being held accountable for lying about it.
Youre a rebel atheist eh? You violate the first precept in the topix atheist handbook. The greatest nation on earth has money that says in God we trust. Israel is still around. Imagine that, a tiny nation with no big navy or army, women army no less , and they are still around . Why is such a tiny people so hated? Could it be that they are Gods people through whom the gentiles can be saved? You, my snaggle toothed pile of perfidy, are an idiot.

#208284 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawking said there is no event horizon.
You aren't very good at comprehending what you read, are you?

What Hawking proposes is not so much the elimination of the concept of the event horizon as a modification of that idea. Instead of a sharp boundary, he proposes a fuzzy boundary based on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. From what I know of quantum mechanics, this does make sense, since HUP says you can not exactly define anything at the sub-atomic level.

However, no where in Hawking's paper will you find him saying black holes do not exist.

#208285 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know me very well...
Oh, I am sure you could, and will, come up with even more irrelevancies.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208286 Jan 27, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as god. The world is too polite to tell you that your beliefs are stupid. What makes them stupid is that you reject the facts and still hold on to them, trying to convert others towards your stupidity.
What a way to live...
Atheists are free from religious stupidity because we always ask you liars for proof.
What facts do I reject, Jim?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208287 Jan 27, 2014
Keisha-J wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all. Its very definition is faithless.
If one does not believe in a higher being,whatever form that may take, then his existence must be without hope. How sad.
That would make the humans who invented 'gods', obsolete, wouldn't it?

Ah well, at least you seem to know what Atheism is.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208288 Jan 27, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I am sure you could, and will, come up with even more irrelevancies.
That is as certain as taxes.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#208289 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We know you very well.

Youu're the guy who betrays.

Wiley, CO

#208290 Jan 27, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave. Just leave it alone. Stop embarrassing yourself. You know virtually nothing about black holes. You have made this abundantly clear. Drop it.
I would tell you to read up on Enstein's equations and Schwarzchild's solution to them, but it would probably take you years of study to get to the point where you could understand them.
Are you saying I should talk to your pastor, Darwin's Stupidchild?

Wiley, CO

#208291 Jan 27, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't very good at comprehending what you read, are you?
What Hawking proposes is not so much the elimination of the concept of the event horizon as a modification of that idea. Instead of a sharp boundary, he proposes a fuzzy boundary based on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. From what I know of quantum mechanics, this does make sense, since HUP says you can not exactly define anything at the sub-atomic level.
However, no where in Hawking's paper will you find him saying black holes do not exist.
You are spouting Hawking's Apologetics.

Get a brain of your own. Here's a nickel. Make an investment.

Now I gotta go get some cigs.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208292 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You think we read "Jesus is my Savior" and that's it, we accept it, no need to study it or question it.
You don't question it. You accept it on faith. Questioning is skepticism.

Ask yourself this: what could your questioning possibly reveal to you that would cause you to reject the tenets of your faith? Once you realize that the answer is that nothing could do that, you will understand that you are not questioning your god belief. Your questioning bypasses that and only asks what is the nature of the god whose existence you accept unquestioned.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your words hurt Christians.
How? Make the case that I hurt Christians and I will modify my behavior.

In the world I envision, you will be free to believe whatever you like unmolested. Isn't that enough?

Fennario

#208293 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"It's the church's fault!!!" -IANS Tell me, why isn't gay marriage legal in Japan? Why isn't it even being considered? Why do less than 25% of Japanese citizens think it should be legal? The Japan church?
I can't tell you much about Japanese culture.

Is this the introduction to an argument that the Christian church isn't homophobic, or that it isn't the principal impediment to the legalization of same sex marriage in America? If so, please make it.

Fennario

#208294 Jan 27, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Could you possibly come up with a more irrelevant argument?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
LOL.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208295 Jan 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I can't tell you much about Japanese culture.

Is this the introduction to an argument that the Christian church isn't homophobic, or that it isn't the principal impediment to the legalization of same sex marriage in America? If so, please make it.
http://prayerfoundation.org/world_christian_g...

This might interest you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 19 min woodtick57 9,406
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 19,796
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 6 hr thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... 22 hr Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
Disney Buys The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latte... (Nov '12) Fri millertr1 5
More from around the web