Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256560 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208167 Jan 26, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Reading just the last two pages, it appears that one's hedges of happy ignorance are trimmed and tight.
Thanks. Back atcha. I enjoy your posting.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#208168 Jan 26, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't. Reason and compassion do.
How can you justify infertile opposite marriage but not same sex marriage?
The 77 non religious reasons covered that. Work on your comprehension.

Fennario

#208169 Jan 26, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Nothing new under the sun.
That's not how I see it. Life is full of novelty.

Fennario

#208170 Jan 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. neat post

to inflict emotional pain on homosexuals, the usual religious tools are disgust, guilt and shame laced with 'what about the children' chants. But, there's something far more insidious that suggests gays have a long way to go .. we've seen it many times on this thread. To demean and emasculate a male opponent, anti-gay slurs are readily dispatched that perpetuate the myth that gay men are soft and cowardly, antithetical to masculinity. This type of post mutilates the self-esteem of gay men and causes harm .. anti-gay slurs also demoralize women as the 'bottom' is viewed as the weak, inferior species. These not so subtle word wounds are persistent from both sides .... when someone calls you faggot, queer or homo, it's psychological abuse aimed at you, gays and women. Similar language was used against Jews and Blacks to keep them suppressed .... as a society, we must recognize such behavior for what it is ..
Thanks. You, too. The thread has been of a pretty high quality lately.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#208171 Jan 26, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<The Dave Nelson> "You could call it macroelectronics"
http://www.macroelectronics.org/
Macroelectronics, EH? Maybe you meant "wackoelectronics" HAHAAA
Or in your case, you could call it magical thinking.
The Wiki page mentions "speed of light and convergence of energies"? Where?
Are those energies the "unknown energies" you're always talking about? The "unknown energies" that you know?
"In each chart, if all sixteen figures are observed (the four Mothers, the four Daughters, the four Nieces, the Witnesses, Judge, and Reconciler), at least two of the figures must be the same.
However, as the Reconciler is usually termed an optional figure, 16 combinations of Mother figures can yield a chart where the Mothers, Daughters, Nieces, Witnesses, and Judge are all unique. Notably, Populus cannot appear in these charts, since mathematically it either requires two figures to be the same in order to be formed, or produces a duplicate figure when added to another figure.
In such charts, the Judge will always be one of Conjunctio, Amissio, Carcer, or Acquisitio. The sixteen combinations of Mothers, in order from the First to the Fourth Mother, are
Puer, Caput Draconis, Tristitia, Albus
Conjunctio, Puella, Fortuna Major, Tristitia
Puella, Puer, Tristitia, Albus
Puella, Cauda Draconis, Tristitia, Albus
Rubeus, Laetitia, Puella, Puer
Rubeus, Laetitia, Cauda Draconis, Puella
Rubeus, Laetitia, Cauda Draconis, Caput Draconis
Rubeus, Laetitia, Caput Draconis, Puer
Acquisitio, Puella, Albus, Fortuna Major
Laetitia, Fortuna Minor, Puer, Conjunctio
Laetitia, Fortuna Minor, Acquisitio, Cauda Draconis
Cauda Draconis, Caput Draconis, Tristitia, Albus
Caput Draconis, Amissio, Fortuna Major, Tristitia
Caput Draconis, Carcer, Albus, Fortuna Major
Fortuna Minor, Rubeus, Puer, Amissio
Fortuna Minor, Rubeus, Carcer, Cauda Draconis"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomancy#Geomanc...
Try this:
"Kumalak (qumalaq, or &#1179;&#1201;&#10 84;&#1072;&#1083;& #1072;&#1179; in Kazakh) is a form of geomancy, or divination, which originates in Central Asia. This fortune telling method involves forty-one beans, stones, or sheep dung ("kumalak" means sheep dung in the Turkic languages) sorted into piles, and has been used for hundreds of years in the region of present-day Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, and Siberia by Turkic peoples such as the Kazakh, Kyrgyz, and Tatars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumalak
Tell us when you figure it out, Count Dave.
Wiki is your god and Bible, scar?

Why are you trying to pigeonhole me into your limited perspectives? Is that all you are capable of?

Youngblood, there is no difference in how matter and energy gets distributed on this planet and how your TV set does. It's mostly a matter of purity of components and design intent. Perhaps you are aware that lightning and static electricity don't really care if you aren't made of pure copper.

This was noted by mankind a long time ago.

Bet you thought Earth and you were magic and everything else follows physical laws, eh?

Oh, that's right, you're from NC.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#208172 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Would help to know how long a month or year was to begin with.
You think?
Just kidding.
It only takes watching the constellations circle the North Star in one night to realize you were on something spinning. Noting the angle of ascension of the stars and sun helps that, also. Observed from different latitudes you could deduce even more. Have a marker pointing to the North Star during the day and you could deduce even more than that.
Nope. all you needs is sticks and shadows to plot the equinoxes and solstices and only one of each, the others are complimentary lines and angles. You don't need a single star. It will take less than four of our months to plot the extremes of the sun's travel.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208173 Jan 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
It's homophobic to call you gay?
Yup.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208174 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Fucknugget !!!!!
Good one, RR.
:-)
Thanks, man.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#208175 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is indecent is relative.
I thought you knew.
Relative to what?

Fennario

#208176 Jan 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
People who go to churches, when given the opportunity to vote, are within their rights to exert whatever influence they may, same as everyone else.
Agreed, which is why the strategy of secularists has to be to reduce their number if we don't want them determining the standards for the rest of us. We want choices. The faithful need not choose these things for themselves, but in a free society, they also shouldn't be limiting options for others.

You don't suspect that freedom isn't really an important value to the faithful, do you? Some of us suspect that Christianity doesn't teach a respect for it. Are there any scriptures celebrating freedom?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#208177 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you trying to pigeonhole me into your limited perspectives? Is that all you are capable of?
Youngblood, there is no difference in how matter and energy gets distributed on this planet and how your TV set does. It's mostly a matter of purity of components and design intent. Perhaps you are aware that lightning and static electricity don't really care if you aren't made of pure copper.
Bet you thought Earth and you were magic and everything else follows physical laws, eh?
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

La Veta, CO

#208178 Jan 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. all you needs is sticks and shadows to plot the equinoxes and solstices and only one of each, the others are complimentary lines and angles. You don't need a single star. It will take less than four of our months to plot the extremes of the sun's travel.
I can also make a rabbit on a movie screen with my hands.

You are missing a few things in your plots there. I mentioned two. The brain is obvious.

So, tell me, are you using a calendar to mark the days and months off? Piling one stone a day? Is there a leap year February in your projections there? What day of the year do you begin?

http://community.novacaster.com/showarticle.p...

You kinda got to know how long a year is before you can put your plan into action.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#208179 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Relative to what?
I think he saw his sister naked and freaked out. LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#208180 Jan 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Agreed, which is why the strategy of secularists has to be to reduce their number if we don't want them determining the standards for the rest of us. We want choices. The faithful need not choose these things for themselves, but in a free society, they also shouldn't be limiting options for others.
You don't suspect that freedom isn't really an important value to the faithful, do you? Some of us suspect that Christianity doesn't teach a respect for it. Are there any scriptures celebrating freedom?
Most people remember the first principle of democracy:
"The majority opinion shall carry the day."

Few recall the second half:
"So long as the rights of the minority are not infringed."

The second is the rationale behind the Bill of Rights and other rights guaranteed to everyone, not just the majority.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#208181 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had collapsed matter you would have a lump, not a hole. A really solid object.
If you star collapsed to nothing, then the collapse sent everything flying. Which leaves no mass to cause gravity.
Which only demonstrates you have NO idea what you are talking about because you have ZERO and I mean truly ZERO idea of what you are talking about.

May I suggest you go back to school and start again.

After you have finished High School in say 10-12 years time then complete a degree in Physics (if you can) then and only then you might have some understanding.

However keep posting your rubbish I love seeing just how dumb godbots really are and besides they are good for a laugh.

The sad thing is that other godbots take them as fact.

La Veta, CO

#208182 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.

This and megalithic structures are what got me interested in geomancy, scar. That is the kind of geomancy I am into. I just don't get into the mystical and New Age BS.

John Michell got me fired up and Coral Castle convinced me. I looked at these things from an electrical technician reading a schematic view, not the woo woo view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208183 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:

Relative to what?
To the individual.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208184 Jan 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
I think he saw his sister naked and freaked out. LOL
"Relative to", not "a relative of".

It's called a homonym.

Fucknugget.

La Veta, CO

#208185 Jan 26, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Which only demonstrates you have NO idea what you are talking about because you have ZERO and I mean truly ZERO idea of what you are talking about.
May I suggest you go back to school and start again.
After you have finished High School in say 10-12 years time then complete a degree in Physics (if you can) then and only then you might have some understanding.
However keep posting your rubbish I love seeing just how dumb godbots really are and besides they are good for a laugh.
The sad thing is that other godbots take them as fact.
Show me where I am wrong in my ideas. Not where they don't agree with your scripture, but the physical impossibilities of them that make them invalid.

Remember, this has to be hard physics reasons, such as used in applied physics and engineering.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#208186 Jan 26, 2014
<quoted text>
If you knew anything about Scripture you would know the answer.

Secular case against gay marriage.

http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/a-secula...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 min It aint necessari... 18,571
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Chimney1 43,234
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr AmericanPagan 21,175
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr Eagle 12 10,051
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 8 hr Eagle 12 753
A Universe from Nothing? 9 hr Into The Night 538
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 9 hr Patrick 465
More from around the web