Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#207988 Jan 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar.
I appealed, I know, you can't imagine anyone admitting fault or apologising or caring about something other than ego.
I know you are crazy but this is worse than I thought

Catcher is a guy and is a different person than you

You are Juicy

So I don't know why you replied to my post about Catcher or how anything in it would make you think it was about you

Coo coo

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#207989 Jan 25, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Again I never said all gay couples would be great parents
And a system is in place that while flawed (social services, criminal justice) that should protect kids from any bad parents
There is one issue
Is a kid better off in general in foster care or with two people that love them that happen to be gay
Nobody who cared more about the kid would stand in the way of that
He doesn't care about children, Skom. He cares about his safety bubble. He's afraid to admit that he's wrong. It happens but those people end up at the fringe, tilting at windmills. It's sad but it's life.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#207990 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't care about children, Skom. He cares about his safety bubble. He's afraid to admit that he's wrong. It happens but those people end up at the fringe, tilting at windmills. It's sad but it's life.
You read Don Quixote?

Location hidden

#207991 Jan 25, 2014
Edit lightbeamer

Don't be dishonest

When you deliberately edit my post out of context and lie your entire argument gets pitched in the trash

I didn't just sat who cares about their biological dad. I went in to say what matters is if they are a good parent and you snuck your answer in I between my full quote stopping it after the dad part

And what deep end? You want to make the point that what people do sexually should dictate if they are allowed to marry. Do you even understand your own argument? And by that logic you must be on with all that other stuff if you don't oppose straight couples that do it and get married

And there is not enough info to know if a kid is better off in foster care than in a home with two people that love him?

Seriously, if you travel abroad, don't tell anyone you are American or Christian. We will try to cover for you here but Ed don't need the the whole world thinking you are representative of what our faith or educational systems crank out

I have seen some stupid things rationalized because of bigotry. But that one is right at the top. But we know you won't be adopting the kid either way right? So what do you tell yourself? Well there isn't enough information to know if leaving the kid with no home to be raised the state was better than being in a loving home. Hope I'm right and ding find out later how bad I helped ruin this kids life since there is enough info already to know foster care systems don't normally crank out success stories

But hey, screw that kid. The important thing is you got to butt into other people's lives despite doing nothing to help yourself and made sure your personal beliefs were forced on others

I am sure Jesus who was all about love, children, and the needy would salute your efforts to keep a kid out of a loving home to be raised by the government. Or maybe you know parents who are sinless?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#207992 Jan 25, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I know you are crazy but this is worse than I thought

Catcher is a guy and is a different person than you

You are Juicy

So I don't know why you replied to my post about Catcher or how anything in it would make you think it was about you

Coo coo
QUOTE who="Skombolis"]< quoted text>nobody has ever 'appealed' his white sheet<quoted text snipped>

I appealed the Catcher white sheet.

Liar.

Or is it your memory? Is it so bad you don't remember what you write then feel the need to lie about me some more?

Puppet.

Location hidden

#207993 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I know

Part of me wants to believe its possible to get someone like that to see reason

Or at least see how they are putting themselves ahead of the very people they claim to care about

That maybe they will be honest with themselves and admit it isn't the welfare if the child they actually care about

But deep down I realize the odds of that happening are next to zero

Location hidden

#207994 Jan 25, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
How does what someone chooses to do sexually have anything to do with whether they should be allowed equal rights?
Rights that marriage gives straight people like spousal privilege, tax breaks, citizenship, etc
Gays do not have a right to citizenship? Tax breaks involve children. The tax break comes no where near the cost in raising a child. Spousal privilege not a problem is people abide by the law. How many married couples have been actually put in the position of having to invoke spousal privilege compared to the number of married person who have not? For all practical purposes it is a phantom. My older brother never had children and worked all his life. He is now retired and rich. You know why? He didn't make all that much money as a high school teacher. He never had the expense associated with marriage and raising children! Even though he paid a higher tax rate!

Location hidden

#207995 Jan 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You read Don Quixote?
Hasn't everybody? It's the greatest work of fiction since the Bible.

Location hidden

#207996 Jan 25, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Edit lightbeamer

Don't be dishonest

When you deliberately edit my post out of context and lie your entire argument gets pitched in the trash

I didn't just sat who cares about their biological dad. I went in to say what matters is if they are a good parent and you snuck your answer in I between my full quote stopping it after the dad part

And what deep end? You want to make the point that what people do sexually should dictate if they are allowed to marry. Do you even understand your own argument? And by that logic you must be on with all that other stuff if you don't oppose straight couples that do it and get married

And there is not enough info to know if a kid is better off in foster care than in a home with two people that love him?

Seriously, if you travel abroad, don't tell anyone you are American or Christian. We will try to cover for you here but Ed don't need the the whole world thinking you are representative of what our faith or educational systems crank out

I have seen some stupid things rationalized because of bigotry. But that one is right at the top. But we know you won't be adopting the kid either way right? So what do you tell yourself? Well there isn't enough information to know if leaving the kid with no home to be raised the state was better than being in a loving home. Hope I'm right and ding find out later how bad I helped ruin this kids life since there is enough info already to know foster care systems don't normally crank out success stories

But hey, screw that kid. The important thing is you got to butt into other people's lives despite doing nothing to help yourself and made sure your personal beliefs were forced on others

I am sure Jesus who was all about love, children, and the needy would salute your efforts to keep a kid out of a loving home to be raised by the government. Or maybe you know parents who are sinless?
So, you're the only one who can be dishonest and twist people's posted words?

Nice to know.

Location hidden

#207997 Jan 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
QUOTE who="Skombolis"]< quoted text>nobody has ever 'appealed' his white sheet<quoted text snipped>
I appealed the Catcher white sheet.
Liar.
Or is it your memory? Is it so bad you don't remember what you write then feel the need to lie about me some more?
Puppet.
He white-sheeted you and you appealed it?
Wow you are more desperate for Internet friends then they thought

Anybody with an ounce of sf-respect would laugh I someone's face (figuratively speaking) if some fork hypocrite who names things after himself told them he was shunning them

But you are trying to kiss a lot of asses at once and putting in a lot of energy to your new persona of the 2 month long anti-Christian despite talking like someone who has always been against faith. I guess your figured what's one more ass right?

You appealed

So pathetic

Location hidden

#207998 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You won't find the Bible in the fiction part of Barnes and Nobel but you will find Don Quixote along with Gone With The Wind and Atlas Shrugged.These are three of my favorites. No, not everybody has read Don Quixote but they are the ones who miss out.

Location hidden

#207999 Jan 25, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Edit lightbeamer
Don't be dishonest
Well i see you have taken the low road and resorted to personal attacks. Your mental capacities come off as impaired tonight.

Location hidden

#208000 Jan 25, 2014
Better to talk with a sober cannibal than a drunken christian.

Location hidden

#208001 Jan 25, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He white-sheeted you and you appealed it?
Wow you are more desperate for Internet friends then they thought

Anybody with an ounce of sf-respect would laugh I someone's face (figuratively speaking) if some fork hypocrite who names things after himself told them he was shunning them

But you are trying to kiss a lot of asses at once and putting in a lot of energy to your new persona of the 2 month long anti-Christian despite talking like someone who has always been against faith. I guess your figured what's one more ass right?

You appealed

So pathetic
This post of yours is awesome.

Of course I don't expect you to understand that a person can realise they've done the wrong thing to another, feel remorse and apologise.

He was much more forgiving and gracious than any christian here as well.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#208002 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
How does it compare to Misfits?

I just started watching.

Location hidden

#208003 Jan 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Well i see you have taken the low road and resorted to personal attacks. Your mental capacities come off as impaired tonight.
That's nothing new but don't you indulge in personal attacks as well?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#208004 Jan 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, slavery is wrong. You wouldn't want to be a slave, ergo you should not enslave others. It really is as simple as that.
Why? Do you think slavery isn't wrong? Your holy book says it isn't.
"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."
Abraham Lincoln

Location hidden

#208005 Jan 26, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
How does it compare to Misfits?
I just started watching.
You have to be ready for anything when you watch Misfits. Don't give up on it. It just gets better and better. I liked seasons 4 and 5 the best.

Location hidden

#208006 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You won't find the Bible in the fiction part of Barnes and Nobel but you will find Don Quixote along with Gone With The Wind and Atlas Shrugged.These are three of my favorites. No, not everybody has read Don Quixote but they are the ones who miss out.
I particularly liked Lord of the Flies and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I've never read Atlas Shrugged. Do you recommend it?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208007 Jan 26, 2014
mtimber wrote:
I have given you an explanation and shown you that your biased interpretation of the text is not the absolute interpretation that is required.
You just made the list:

REASONS GIVEN ON TOPIX WHY SKEPTICS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THE BIBLE

[1] I took the scripture out of context. It means something other than what it says (context and implied meaning never supplied).
[2] I don't understand literary criticism
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
[4] It's literal, not an allegory.
[5] Scripture is only transparent to those with a child's perspective
[6] Scripture is only transparent to biblical scholars
[7] I am not filled with the Holy Spirit
[8] That's the mystery of it all. "God works in mysterious ways"
[9] Man's mind is too puny to grasp the immensity of God's truth and justice.
[10] You were obviously never a "true christian"
[11] You don't have enough faith. You have to believe to understand.
[12] You can’t criticize the bible because you don’t believe or understand it.
[13] Why do we think we can pretend to know God?
[14] Scripture always interprets scripture
[15] Ever heard of biblical hermeneutics?
[16] You are not TRULY with truth and sincerity seeking God.
[17] You have to know how to translate Hebrew and Greek
[18] You are using a completely unsupportable transliteration of Scripture
[19] You have clearly not studied the ancient peoples who wrote those things or you would not come up with the conclusions you have.
[20] It takes humility to understand the Bible
[21]“Stop scripture mining."
[22] You have to be familiar with the technical terminologies in the bible before you can comprehend it.
[23] Even Satan can quote scripture.
[24] In any other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.
[25] You have no reference in the knowledge of God to know our experience in Christ Jesus. The Word has to be embedded in one's heart, and that can come from God only.
[26] You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?
[27] Dont fall in the trap of being a one verse wonder. You need to understand the passage and true meaning of the verse.
[28] You're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
[29] When you read scripture, one has to discern WHO that particular verse was written to..The believer or the Non believer. If we cant understand that then YES, the bible would seem to be very contradicting.
[30] A doctor, lawyer, scientist, or engineer are so used to reading their professional documentation literally, that metaphor, allegory, parables, hyperbole, and analogies are like another language unto themselves.
[31] You are not bright or educated enough to spew against Bible
[32] I would question the person who thinks that you understand even one page of any Bible. Without first learning the language how could you.
[33] Your arguments are so full of errors and misconceptions I don't even wanna touch it.
[34] You and others like you can't understand because you're not permitted to unless/until you repent and confess Christ as LORD.
[35] The power of the gospel is designed to frustrate the wisdom of the wise.
[36] It's so damn cute when atheists reach for their Bible to make their point. I love it!
[37] Your biased interpretation of the text is not the absolute interpretation that is required.

Yet we go on interpreting the words anyway, just as was intended by whomever first spoke or wrote them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism saved me 7 hr Elganned 30
The atheists mind 7 hr Elganned 67
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 7 hr Elganned 184
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Thu Into The Night 95,399
Why creation? Thu Elganned 60
man Jun 18 blacklagoon 3 1
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50