Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#207685 Jan 25, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those like you who resort to violence to settle their disputes end up in the judicial system.
You did.
There's a very good chance you will again.
And you won't have Catcher to help you get out of your jam.
Oh, darn.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#207686 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the point that Chris makes. If she's not a bisexual then she is either lying about being once homosexual or she is still homosexual. There are no other options.
Im not aware of a homo gene so you cannot prove a homo is born that way, can you? I surmise if a homo gene was found it would be foreboding because couples would likely start terminating homo fetuses.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207687 Jan 25, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those like you who resort to violence to settle their disputes end up in the judicial system.
You did.
There's a very good chance you will again.
And you won't have Catcher to help you get out of your jam.
A "very good chance", you say?

It was about 17 years ago.

I haven't even had so much as a traffic ticket since.

As usual, you're wrong.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#207688 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the ultimate test of faith.
A test that most men would fail.
Isaac was never in any danger.
That really sums it up.
It was - and remains - one of the most sociopathic, cruelly evil stories in the bible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207689 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:

If you didn't shoot your mouth off about it, I wouldn't mind letting it go.
But it's bullshit.
Christians are heavily invested in what they think the Bible means. They rarely agree on interpretation, which means as a group, they suck at getting anything right. Only a tiny minority, if any at all, could possibly be correct most of the time about what was intended by the various authors of the Bible. That is also quite separate from determining if the claims made are actually true.

Of course we're invested in Biblical meanings. The Bible is part of our foundation.

We see it very differently than people like you. We're not studying it deliberately looking for flaws and cherry picking this or that to make a point.

The Bible MUST be taken as a whole, or you get the whole thing wrong.

Atheists always get it wrong.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207690 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Wrong. I could marry a man and have kids. I still wouldn't be heterosexual or bisexual.
If you're having (or have had) voluntary sex with men (or a man), you're not homosexual, you're bisexual.

It's really very simple.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#207691 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
All those decades and you still don't have a clue.
I have nothing against people experimenting. I've had sex with girls that aren't lesbians. It worked out for all of us. What they didn't do is say, "OMG, I had sex with a girl. Now I'm a lesbian". Homosexuality is not about the act of physical sex. Never was, never will be.
Have you forgotten how to learn or have you learned how to forget?
"If she's not a bisexual then she is either lying about being once homosexual or she is still homosexual. There are no other options."

I'm sure there are some nuances in that somewhere linking what you stated there with what you stated above.

You forgot one other option. She might have "thought" she was homosexual back then. But then she found out different.

But you wouldn't want to believe that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207692 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:

Abstergo can help with that.
I figured you'd be the only one to get that joke.

Good call.

Have you beaten the Legendary Ships yet?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207693 Jan 25, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And cats suck the breath out of babies, and the moon is made from green cheese.
Correct.

I like doing this science shit.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#207694 Jan 25, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so cute.
Did everyone pinch your cheeks when you were little?
Thanks, you addicted old timer and expert on human sexuality.

Yes, they did.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#207695 Jan 25, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Im not aware of a homo gene so you cannot prove a homo is born that way, can you? I surmise if a homo gene was found it would be foreboding because couples would likely start terminating homo fetuses.
I'm not aware of a hetero gene so you can not prove a hetero is born that way, can you?

That's ridiculous. Why aren't people terminating their pregnancies when they find out the child will be male? That makes more sense to me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207696 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
All those decades and you still don't have a clue.
I have nothing against people experimenting. I've had sex with girls that aren't lesbians. It worked out for all of us. What they didn't do is say, "OMG, I had sex with a girl. Now I'm a lesbian". Homosexuality is not about the act of physical sex. Never was, never will be.
Have you forgotten how to learn or have you learned how to forget?
There's a concept I just can't wrap my head around.

How thefuck can a girl "have sex" with another girl? At best all you get is third base.

And another thing; how thefuck can a girl go down on another girl and still call herself straight?!

Are there sexual identifying labels or aren't there?

Redondo Beach, CA

#207697 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, darn.
You'll say worse than that when you're cuffed.

Maybe it's a good idea not to buy health insurance.

You'll need some bail money.

Redondo Beach, CA

#207698 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A "very good chance", you say?
It was about 17 years ago.
I haven't even had so much as a traffic ticket since.
As usual, you're wrong.
I've been observing you here for some time now.

My prediction is that your criminal career isn't over.

You're much too unstable, obstinate and controlling, and you have a short fuse.

That's a recipe for trouble.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207699 Jan 25, 2014
Just Think wrote:
It was - and remains - one of the most sociopathic, cruelly evil stories in the bible.
Ok.

I think it's an awesome story. A story of faith and trust in God.

God tested Abraham to see if he was worthy of being an ancestor to Jesus. Obviously, Abraham's faith was perfect and pure.

Abraham knew, somehow, that Isaac was in no danger. Isaac asked him where the lamb was for the sacrifice, Abraham answered him:“God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207701 Jan 25, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I've been observing you here for some time now.
My prediction is that your criminal career isn't over.
You're much too unstable, obstinate and controlling, and you have a short fuse.
That's a recipe for trouble.
Thanks, Dr Ruth.

But I really don't give afuck how you interpret or psychoanalyze me.

You're wrong.

Will you validate my parking?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#207702 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're having (or have had) voluntary sex with men (or a man), you're not homosexual, you're bisexual.
It's really very simple.
That's wrong. It simply means you had sex with a man. It doesn't necessarily mean you're bisexual.

I go to church. I'm still an atheist.

I've had jobs. I didn't need the money.

I find you're views simplistic. Sexual activity does not define sexuality.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#207703 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If you didn't shoot your mouth off about it, I wouldn't mind letting it go.
But it's bullshit.
Christians are heavily invested in what they think the Bible means. They rarely agree on interpretation, which means as a group, they suck at getting anything right. Only a tiny minority, if any at all, could possibly be correct most of the time about what was intended by the various authors of the Bible. That is also quite separate from determining if the claims made are actually true.
What RR seems to be saying is that you have to be a believer for the stories to be believable. I will agree with that. In fact, it fits my own experience. When young, I was a believer and believed the stories, which I had been taught as a child and had been told HOW to think about them. Then I grew up and the stories no long made any sense.

So unbelievable stories helped make me a non-believer.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#207704 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth is 600 years old.
Boo.
Which is why Jesus is just a fairy tale.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#207705 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not aware of a hetero gene so you can not prove a hetero is born that way, can you?
That's ridiculous. Why aren't people terminating their pregnancies when they find out the child will be male? That makes more sense to me.
Got strawman combined with red herring? The Chinese seem to be very adept at terminating females. Is that evolution at work?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min One way or another 33,830
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr ChristineM 23,865
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,040
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 1 hr superwilly 151
There are no such things as gods or fairies 2 hr Eagle 12 72
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Eagle 12 4,443
News Why I quit atheism 2 hr Eagle 12 257
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr ChristineM 14,797
More from around the web