Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
199,101 - 199,120 of 226,341 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#207477 Jan 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Just Think wrote, "Do you get some bible prize if you ask the same question 1,000 times?"

He may not be a person. He seems like a mechanism.
So you too have assented to defeat by retreating to ad hominem.

Is this the best I can expect from the atheists here.

Is there not even one thinker here that does not have to resort to ad hominem.

Every time one of you resorts to ad hominem you reveal you have no answer no comeback, which is of course expected as how can you have a comeback when you publicly contradict yourselves in nearly every post?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#207478 Jan 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Zohar wrote, "If you would know the unknown, observe carefully the known." ..
.. nature worship is the original religion, the key to causation. Unfortunately, it's been destroyed by theology and 2,000 years of pain, conflict and death ..
Whats the surprise? How could he have known this?.........Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
One carpenter and the whole world is changed.

Location hidden

#207479 Jan 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. Zohar wrote, "If you would know the unknown, observe carefully the known." ..

.. nature worship is the original religion, the key to causation. Unfortunately, it's been destroyed by theology and 2,000 years of pain, conflict and death ..

.. the very idea of nature being the Creative Force, as opposed to the 'revealed truth' of scripture, probably feels wrong to you, the thought horrendous ..

.. it's my contention that somewhere along the line, a cleric introduced the supernatural into a perfectly natural universe and total confusion has reigned since then ..

.. we live in a beautiful but dangerous world where clerics and scripture have had their way far too long by creating diversion, suffering, guilt and shame. It's time for a change, your way is no longer working ..
You realise of course that this is mere subjective opinion you have stated here?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#207480 Jan 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, you're too jizz nasty to be Clownie and are clearly confused. Moving along.
Why wont you let me be nice to you?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#207481 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
So where did the absolute moral absolute that lying is wrong come from? As a Christian I can account for it, but where do you get it from if not Christianity?
River Tam wrote:
Who said it is a moral absolute that lying is wrong?
Mtimber did, on your behalf. He needs for you to say that so that he can tell you that are invoking his god, probably Yahweh. Never mind that your actual argument may specify that you are invoking what you consider anthropogenic moral precepts that are determined by a consensus of like-minded and trusted individuals and are in a state of constant evolution.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#207482 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why did you capitalize "atheists" like you did?
scaritual wrote:
Just to irritate you and HIM.
Seems like an honest answer.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#207483 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think, in general, people aren't using their imaginations nearly enough.
If I may tie this in with the free will discussion....
We are limited in our choices by what occurs to us. If something does not occur to us, like a solution to a problem, we cannot choose it. This is why I think it is imperative to maintain brain plasticity and exercise our imaginations.
.. organized religion stunts the imagination, the search for self. You're told what to believe and why. If you join the tribe, there's no free will, just party-line chatter ..

Location hidden

#207484 Jan 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn.
Sorry, but if you have to water your God down until He is nothing more that the First Cause and nothing else...why bother with the worship?
And the rest of what you said. Nothing more than theological word salad. Rather than talking in plain, understandable terms, the theologians make it sound all mystical and mysterious...most likely on purpose.
Apologetics really does bore me. It is so lame.
Ahhh...

Uh-huh

I see

Boring = incorrect

Fascinating.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#207485 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you like to? Would you like to talk about bigotry, Chris?
I'm up for it.
I've dealt with it for as long as I can remember.
I'll bet when people came up to you and said: Oh, look at the cute little Chinese girl, you kicked em in the shin, didn't ya?

;o)

Location hidden

#207486 Jan 25, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I know that something makes me stick in the chair. We have decided to call that thing gravity.
What comparable evidence do you have for a god?
That thing that answers your prayers.

Location hidden

#207487 Jan 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:

Well RR, you are confusing two different definitions of the word "good". In the first sentence it refers to a moral judgement, in the second it refers to desirability.
Without morality, how could you have a sense of desirability?

No sense of right and wrong, right?

So how would you determine if the apple looks like it'd take good or bad?

I still think you need to rethink your position.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#207488 Jan 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Those weren't the two words that were the reason to ignore the post, Dave Nelson. Can you guess what they were?
If you'd like to be taken seriously,or even to be read, it might help you pay attention to the feedback you get on your posting style and content. You seem to be indifferent about how you are perceived by others. There doesn't appear to be much interest in your musings about the world, nor much affection for your uncharitable soul.
Poor IANS.

Trapped in the illusion Dave would give a shit about what he and his fellow confusees think of him.

IANS, see if you can reach in real deep and run a self diagnostic on yourself.

Location hidden

#207489 Jan 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
But a phrase often used to describe Adam and Eve before the Fall is that they were like babes. And you don't hand out strict punishment to babes, because they don't know what is right or wrong.
But this God of yours smacked them down...hard.
As for your last sentence...precisely. Eve was an unwitting victim. At the time of the "crime" she didn't know any better. And God delivered a smack-down anyway. So, yes, he was the cruel overlord.
The only reason you interpret it differently is that is how you have always been taught to read it, and you have been taught never to question it. Sad, really.
What's that old saying?

Oh ya.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Ignorantia juris non excusat

Location hidden

#207490 Jan 25, 2014
<quoted text>River Tam wrote, "Who said it is a moral absolute that lying is wrong?"

Mtimber did, on your behalf. He needs for you to say that so that he can tell you that are invoking his god, probably Yahweh. Never mind that your actual argument may specify that you are invoking what you consider anthropogenic moral precepts that are determined by a consensus of like-minded and trusted individuals and are in a state of constant evolution.
So when society had a consensus that slavery was a good thing for society, then that slavery was a good moral position?

You have just justified slavery as morally acceptable if enough people agree to it.

I would hate to hear your views on child molestation if that is the standard for your morality, "whatever the crowd decides is good for me"...

Location hidden

#207491 Jan 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I don't read his long winded posts.
No one has time for that.
Interesting.

You won't read a couple of paragraphs.

"No time for that"

But you've read the Bible four times.

Uh-huh

Busted.

Location hidden

#207492 Jan 25, 2014
The church has made a lot of enemies. It has fired upon many of us, especially gays and atheists. I've explained why I feel that such people have not just a right. but a duty, to fire back.
Onward, atheist warrior!

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

#207493 Jan 25, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Why wont you let me be nice to you?
I don't understand the question and you appear to have a short memory.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#207494 Jan 25, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> your dumb
Dude…epic fail.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#207495 Jan 25, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So slavery is "absolutely" wrong?
Didn't you state in a previous post that there are no absolute moral positions?
You contradict yourself and have lost the debate.
What is even more revealing is that you DO actually believe there are some absolute moral standards, but you cannot account for that with your own worldview.
You claim you are an atheist who does not need absolute moral standards, yet argue like a christian who has absolute moral standards.
Do you have any idea how easy it is to refute atheism?
Yep, this easy...
It is incredibly easy to refute atheism…all you have to do is prove that any god ever existed.

Oopsy.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

#207496 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting.

You won't read a couple of paragraphs.

"No time for that"

But you've read the Bible four times.

Uh-huh

Busted.
I've read the bible more than four times.

I was interested in reading it.

Busted indeed pumpkin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 56 min Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 9 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 9 hr Patrick 172
100% Faith Free 13 hr Thinking 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••