Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#206978 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Evidence, you say?
Is the wake of a boat evidence of the wake or the boat?
The premise in your question tells me that you've already determined that the wake was of a boat.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Are rabbit paw prints in the dirt evidence of paw prints in the dirt or evidence of a rabbit?
Again, the premise in your question tells me that you've already determined that the paw prints were rabbit paw prints.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#206979 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
The Jesus could have did that.

On water.

Location hidden

#206980 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's the {{fill in the blank}} holding me down.
Kinda like dark matter is just a fill in the blank for the unknown.
No, it's a label for something observed.

It is identifiable as something distinct. We don't need to, and necessarily can't know, everything about it.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#206981 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that you have a subjective interpretation of the Bible that you believe is true. Someone else could read the same words and come to completely different conclusions, using the same methodologies that you are using.
That supports my argument.
I'll take this opportunity to expand. Poetry and faith act as great insulators for bullshit. I'm going to use a little bit of poetry to make my point. I'm going to give bullshit and science some personality.
Bullshit doesn't want to be nailed down. It wants wiggle room, which is why it speaks in poetry. Bullshit knows that if it made a clear and specific claim, that could be falsified, people would have a very good indication if it was true or not. Bullshit also wants to have broad appeal, so it speaks in a sort of generic way to allow people to accept Bullshit by name, even if the details of Bullshit that each individual believes are slightly different, which doesn't matter to Bullshit. He just wants his name tattooed on your ass.
Science loves falsification. If Science is wrong, it wants you to know as soon as possible. Science asks you to believe for good reasons, because what Science has to say about the world we live in is important. If Science gets something wrong, people might act with good intentions and still screw up everything. That's why Science likes the scientific method. Where Bullshit asks you to believe something on faith, Science asks you to be skeptical. Science wants you to run him through a process designed to determine what is most likely true, whether that is something we like or not. Science expects you to modify your beliefs about him as you become better at determining what's most likely true.
Science wants to be your tool. Bullshit wants you to be his tool. Those who have chosen to rely on rational skepticism and the scientific method have realized this.
Excellent, Tide.

But remember, RR truly believes that his god touched him.

That type of person is immune to reason.

Location hidden

#206982 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
I find it very confusing that you can be so keen about objective scientific evidence for dark matter, but not for God, which is presumably alot more important to you.
It's also amusing, like when RR was asking people for proof that they had hands.

I'd like to think that he couldn't possibly see something trivial like that as an analog for someone making a claim for the existence of a universe creating deity.

Location hidden

#206983 Jan 23, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
I think you would better understand if you had kids.
Have you learned a lot from goats?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206984 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my God yes……yes………I have learned a lot from you Atheist. I’ve learned that ya’ll have a cranium inlaid with titanium. Otherwise known as a hard head.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#206985 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles McCartney enjoyed travelling with them.
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/h...

I saw him 3-4 times. I think he may have talked to his goats.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206986 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2HN/post 206714
<quoted text>
I've come to think of free will as a mirage also. It seems like something is there, but when you get in closer to inspect where you thought free will should be, it isn't. Whenever you get in close to investigate, all you see are deterministic mechanisms.
I would challenge anyone that believes in free will to describe it in a way that is incompatible with determinism. I'd like to see something explanatory with details.
To me, compatibilism is just wordplay. I don't think it relates to the illusion of free will that I think most of us have.
What I've been contemplating lately is the source of the illusion. Is this something that we absorb from culture, or is it a fact of human biology?
In the Summertime “free will” is you deciding if you want a cherry snow cone or a strawberry one.

In the Winter it’s if you want hot chocolate or hot coffee with ½ the caffeine.

In a free society with choices there’s free will. In a closed society such as in North Korea there’s no free will. Free will means having a choice and exercising that right to a choice.

Location hidden

#206987 Jan 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Excellent, Tide.
But remember, RR truly believes that his god touched him.
That type of person is immune to reason.
Here's some more on bullshit.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#206988 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Goats are of the devil.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206989 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't hold your breath.
Only under water and in a smoke filled house.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206990 Jan 23, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
He lived to be 97? He did something right. Maybe it was the goats milk.

Location hidden

#206991 Jan 23, 2014
scaritual wrote:
It's too bad he never made it to see Morgan. That would have been so romantic.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#206992 Jan 23, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Fascinating.

Cool that you actually saw the guy.

We had somebody like that here in Long Beach. His name was Ski Dembski. A real character.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206993 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that you have a subjective interpretation of the Bible that you believe is true. Someone else could read the same words and come to completely different conclusions, using the same methodologies that you are using.
I'll take this opportunity to expand. Poetry and faith act as great insulators for bullshit. I'm going to use a little bit of poetry to make my point. I'm going to give bullshit and science some personality.
Bullshit doesn't want to be nailed down. It wants wiggle room, which is why it speaks in poetry. Bullshit knows that if it made a clear and specific claim, that could be falsified, people would have a very good indication if it was true or not. Bullshit also wants to have broad appeal, so it speaks in a sort of generic way to allow people to accept Bullshit by name, even if the details of Bullshit that each individual believes are slightly different, which doesn't matter to Bullshit. He just wants his name tattooed on your ass.
Science loves falsification. If Science is wrong, it wants you to know as soon as possible. Science asks you to believe for good reasons, because what Science has to say about the world we live in is important. If Science gets something wrong, people might act with good intentions and still screw up everything. That's why Science likes the scientific method. Where Bullshit asks you to believe something on faith, Science asks you to be skeptical. Science wants you to run him through a process designed to determine what is most likely true, whether that is something we like or not. Science expects you to modify your beliefs about him as you become better at determining what's most likely true.
Science wants to be your tool. Bullshit wants you to be his tool. Those who have chosen to rely on rational skepticism and the scientific method have realized this.
I will repeat, there was nothing subjective about my interpretation. In fact I provided word for word verses in a later post

Not sure why you keep comparing science to religion. Is anybody under the impression they follow the same standard of proof?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206994 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That one paragraph would make a great script in a movie.

I can see the Clint Eastwood with his 45 all cocked and pointed at the outlaw’s head. And he says:“Bullsh*t doesn't want to be nailed down. It wants wiggle room, which is why……………”

Science has been wrong a lot over the last two hundred years. If you worked in a science related industry you would understand. How many times has NASA been wrong? They’ve had great success and horrible disasters.

I’m thankful for what science has developed but I’m not about to worship science like you Atheist do. Because I know science has f*cked up a lot. Let me give you an example.

Asbestos was used in hundreds of products as a fire retardant. From floor tiles, brake pads and sheetrock. Scientific method, experiments, peer review, and walahhh we have a better life because of it.

Not, we have lost a entire generation to asbestos exposures and it’s no way over. Your science you Atheist drool over has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Location hidden

#206995 Jan 23, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
In the Summertime “free will” is you deciding if you want a cherry snow cone or a strawberry one.
In the Winter it’s if you want hot chocolate or hot coffee with ½ the caffeine.
In a free society with choices there’s free will. In a closed society such as in North Korea there’s no free will. Free will means having a choice and exercising that right to a choice.
This is just a big clustermakelove.

Location hidden

#206996 Jan 23, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Goats are of the devil.
Every once in a while I'll see one standing on top of a fence post on someone's farm.

They're like Satan's surveillance cams.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206997 Jan 23, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That one paragraph would make a great script in a movie.
I can see the Clint Eastwood with his 45 all cocked and pointed at the outlaw’s head. And he says:“Bullsh*t doesn't want to be nailed down. It wants wiggle room, which is why……………”
Science has been wrong a lot over the last two hundred years. If you worked in a science related industry you would understand. How many times has NASA been wrong? They’ve had great success and horrible disasters.
I’m thankful for what science has developed but I’m not about to worship science like you Atheist do. Because I know science has f*cked up a lot. Let me give you an example.
Asbestos was used in hundreds of products as a fire retardant. From floor tiles, brake pads and sheetrock. Scientific method, experiments, peer review, and walahhh we have a better life because of it.
Not, we have lost a entire generation to asbestos exposures and it’s no way over. Your science you Atheist drool over has killed hundreds of thousands of people.
I know my memory isn't what it used to be but I'm pretty sure I didn't write a post saying I hate science

It's bizarre to me how often people engage in these bait-n-switch tactics just to give an unsolicited opinion that is already common knowledge

I know some people don't see merit in faith. I don't know why they feel the need to keep reminding me

I happen to value science and faith as I believe both explain and give meaning to the world we live in. I have never once felt the urge to look for someone who doesn't subscribe to faith just to tell them I disagree with them let alone look for a way to make it confrontational and insulting. And it comes from people who claim to want total equality and no groups and no nationalism. If they really want to know why there are problems in society between groups they nay want to buy a mirror. They are as much the problem as anyone

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr River Tam 32,451
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Science 78,701
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 9 hr Science 1,410
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web