Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#206896 Jan 23, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
John 14:15
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
It is pretty straight forward what loving God requires of someone
1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
Correct - Self is required to do anything in religion.

Incredible thing about this - religion is not needed to have the Self take action.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206898 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, to use the same logic you've been applying, there is an unseen force pushing you into your chair, but that doesn't mean it's gravity doing it per se. It might be an invisible deity pushing you down. There is also the pre-Newtonian Aristotelian explanation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotelian_the... ). You just take the theory of gravity for granted because science has proved it so.
It's the {{fill in the blank}} holding me down.

Kinda like dark matter is just a fill in the blank for the unknown.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206899 Jan 23, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
...and you couldn't even answer the ones I asked.
Figures.
Those semantics - such a burden to live with, huh?
You're the one who's asking me to define "sin" for you.

I'm waiting for the "define: definition" from someone....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206900 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Then you have reading and comprehension issues, RR.
Erm....

"I cannot use empirical evidence to prove a negative. Sorry." -wilderide

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#206901 Jan 23, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
John 14:15
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
It is pretty straight forward what loving God requires of someone
1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
If those commandments aren't burdensome, then why do so few Christians manage to follow them? I'd say loving others as yourself is rather difficult, especially when it comes to your enemies. As is the admonition to give most of your wealth to the poor. And turning yourself in to a doormat in turning the other cheek rather than defending yourself.

San Francisco

#206902 Jan 23, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you are talking about.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206903 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Direct observation and measurement of dark matter is the equivalent of having the rabbit itself, not merely tracks of it's prints.
Correct.

But there is no direct observation and measurement of dark matter. All we have is it's supposed effects.

So if you see a rabbit's paw prints in the dirt, you automatically assume that a rabbit's been here.

Try doing that with no evidence of rabbits.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206904 Jan 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
That's the redneck.
No interest in self-improvement.
The gutter's good enough for him.
Ooooohhhhhh! There's that angry bigot, Catcher, that we've come to know.

You've lowered me from a dusty garage to the gutter.

Imagine that.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206905 Jan 23, 2014
<quoted text>
An example of how so-called "Christians" douoble-talk to others, hoping that they will drop the conversation.
A notable tactic that is ever present on many of these forums.
Honest people would have explained their stance, unless they are afraid to admit that honesty openly.
RR - well? Do you have something to add?
Define: add.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206906 Jan 23, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You also have to wonder about what the Garden of Eden story says about the omniscience of God. As you pointed out, if God were omniscient, he would have known the result of his actions. So either he did not know, or did not care.
But you also have to consider that when God returned to the Garden, he didn't know where Adam and Eve were. He had to coax them out of hiding. And he didn't know what they had done. He had to coax that information out of them.
And, as well, God wasn't there when the whole eating the fruit thing happened, which also puts a hole in the omnipresence of God.
So the lessons to be learned are:
God is not omniscient.
God is not omnipresent.
God is not interested in justice.
And
God is vindictive to the n-th generation.
Oh...and one more thing.

If God's will can be thwarted by a talking snake, then...

God is not omnipotent.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206907 Jan 23, 2014
<quoted text>
An example of how so-called "Christians" douoble-talk to others, hoping that they will drop the conversation.
A notable tactic that is ever present on many of these forums.
Honest people would have explained their stance, unless they are afraid to admit that honesty openly.
RR - well? Do you have something to add?
I didn't ask you to define add.

I simply want your opinion on what is all entailed with "add".

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206908 Jan 23, 2014
Off to the beer fridge.

San Francisco

#206909 Jan 23, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam and Eve first error was not believing. They had been forewarned and Adam had obeyed while he was living alone. Then Eve came along and was tempted and gave into that temptation.
Well, again, if they did not know good from evil, how could they have known disobeying God was evil?
Nowhere in the Bible did it say Adam and Eve were going to die that very same day. This is a misnomer read into the scripture by Atheist.
They died just as they would have anyway. Presumably after Eve had incestuous sex with her son/grandchildren.
Most of my adult life I worked with all types of deadly poisons & carcinogens. My life and the life of my co-workers depended on our faith in the information we received about the individual hazards of each chemical.
It seems rather foolish to rely on faith alone when you could have simply sought the actual scientific evidence for yourself to verify it. If my life was at stake, I certainly would have done some extra research.

That's why religion is so harmful; there is no objective evidence to back it up, only faith and baseless claims.
Another misnomer was a talking snake. In the book of Genesis, there’s the pre cursed serpent and the post cursed serpent. Know one knows what the pre-cursed serpent looked like.
What about the talking donkey in Numbers?
Now why was this tree in the Garden in the first place? Lot’s of vegetation is in the wilderness. Some if it can be fatal if eaten by mankind yet certain animals can digest these forbidden foods with no problem. Poison Ivy is one that comes to mind. Deer’s consume it all the time. Yet humans can’t even touch it.
Genesis 2:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
What was the necessity for placing that tree there at all? And why right in front of them? Obviously, it was a set-up.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206910 Jan 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the redneck.
No interest in self-improvement.
The gutter's good enough for him.
Versus sliding and falling off the roof?

The gutter is a good place to be for anyone. Thank God for gutters.

#206911 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really.
It's more like you catching your kid with his hand in the cookie jar, after you told him not to.
Then you proceed to ask him what he's doing, even though you already know.
You're trying to get him to admit his fault, you're not trying to figure out what he was doing...
Question, what is "n-th generation"?
As pointed out, Adam and Eve did not know the difference between good and evil. God had made them that way. Without a knowledge of good and evil, then they didn't KNOW they were doing wrong. But God punished them anyway.

But this God of yours is supposed to be all knowing and all merciful. This story shows him to be neither.

So what was he doing? Did he intend for humans to be vile sinners all along? Because according to the story, that is what he got.

Capiche?

N-th generation. Kinda like the n-th degree. That is, generations unlimited. From the mathematical use of "n" meaning an arbitrary number.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#206912 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If those commandments aren't burdensome, then why do so few Christians manage to follow them? I'd say loving others as yourself is rather difficult, especially when it comes to your enemies. As is the admonition to give most of your wealth to the poor. And turning yourself in to a doormat in turning the other cheek rather than defending yourself.
Not a bad commandment really, loving your enemy as yourself. That’s why we stop at stop signs and red lights.

#206913 Jan 23, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Clueless
What a scintillating rebuttal.[/sarcasm]

San Francisco

#206914 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
But there is no direct observation and measurement of dark matter. All we have is it's supposed effects.
So if you see a rabbit's paw prints in the dirt, you automatically assume that a rabbit's been here.
Try doing that with no evidence of rabbits.
I find it very confusing that you can be so keen about objective scientific evidence for dark matter, but not for God, which is presumably alot more important to you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206915 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. That's very jesus like of you.
He actually gave you the benefit of the doubt that today wasn't representative of your regular level of stupidity.

Besides I thought you are against Christianity? But you are now going to complain someone isn't following the teachings of the faith?

I think RR was being generous personally

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206916 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You are trying to complicate something that isn't

Of course some people struggle with it. But the more people turn their lives over to God completely then the less they will battle the flesh

There are Christians on Topix farther in their walk that it does comes to fairly easily

I have never claimed the fault lies anywhere except with me when I don't follow the teachings as I should. But as I said, for some it isn't burdensome at all. And that is the place God wants us to be it

There simply is no way to turn that into a bad thing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 28 min Dogen 85,520
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 33 min Dogen 4,808
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 4,026
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Tue Into The Night 5,146
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Mon Dogen 33,127
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Jan 15 superwilly 111
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Jan 14 emperorjohn 1
More from around the web