Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#206397 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The rationale for deeming homo beahvoir should be obvious , its unnatural. Man wasn't created do do that. There is no homo gene, its a choice and derives from family dynamics and being given over to delusion.
So it's wrong because it's "unnatural"? That's clearly circular reasoning. As for whether it's genetic or not, how do you know it's not? Have you presented your scientific paper on the subject for peer-review and publication yet? And even if it were purely choice, what difference would that make? You still haven't established why homosexuality is bad, except to say that it's wrong because it's wrong.

And since you claim it's a choice, does that imply that you could choose to be gay? How is it you know how being gay works better than gay people themselves? I'd be very interested to learn how that works.
Define slavery? I see slaves everywhere especially psychic slaves. In those days they didn't have bankruptcy laws or governements that print money . A slave may have had it better off than to try and eke out his own living.
So slavery is OK if there are even more immoral things afoot? Wha?
I don't think to many people have sold a daughter into slavery however they are up till this day the weaker sex and of less worth.
Women are of less worth than men? What's the rationale for that?
A cow is still worth more than a baby girl in Vietnam for instance. Do I have to tell you about female fetuses in Chinas? Is a daughter sold in slavery necessarily having a bad life? I think not, could even be a better life. Only people with plenty of money could buy a female slave.
I see. So it would be beneficial for you to be sold as a slave if your owner was wealthier than you, correct?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206398 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
how do you think trash like me escaped the ghetto , violence, drugs, alcohol and hate? To name just a few problems. I ascribe my notable achievements to God.
I credit you. You chose to be more. Well done.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206399 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So God knowingly allowed ten children to be born which it would later allow Satan to kill as part of a bet, and you find nothing wrong with that? Is it therefore OK to kill anyone who would go to heaven indiscriminately? I guess you need a more developed understanding of morality to get it.
The Topix Atheist! excels at dumbing down anything to a third grade level...

You don't want to understand, you just want to ridicule and mock.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#206400 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he said it would inhibit entry into "the Kingdom".
He also said "the Kingdom is within you", not somewhere out there.
Please read Matthew 19, he said the Kingdom of Heaven, and in the next verse the Kingdom of God. Are you suggesting that the Bible doesn't talk about an afterlife?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206401 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
You are the one who believes in Zeus
No I don't.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#206402 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Holly Sh!t Buck!
Do you fuckweasels even know what Darwin's "theory" was ?
It is well documented and well proven. You yourself are living proof that it is correct.
What the hell are you blabbering about?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206403 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Destiny, aliens, ghosts, intuitions and God have to do with beliefs.....
BenAdam wrote:
So does frying bacon on the stove.
WTF is you point ?
o.O

I think fried bacon has more smarts than you.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206404 Jan 22, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say I am personally against it
I used to have a drug problem. I am more empathetic than most when it comes to these things. And of course I understand the practical aspect of it
But my point is, it would be understandable to me if someone was on the other side and didn't want to see their tax-dollars going to pay for clean heroin needles.
And I think anybody would understand why the church would believe the correct way to fight the drug problem is to teach "don't do drugs" instead of "make sure you have clean needles"
Just like their position on fighting AIDS is "don't sleep around" instead of "just make sure you wear a condom"
It is hardly a position they should be demonized for taking
Taking strokes
And they are trying to teach the moral thing. There are public agencies to do the practical thing
I think it is a bit hypocritical that people who want religion to remain private also want it to provide public services beyond and/or against their religious principles.

While I can blame Christian doctrines on certain problems in the world, AIDS and drug addiction aren't one of them.

I am back to realizing that both sides can take things from the sublime to the ridiculous in short order.

Location hidden

#206405 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. I've come to like you and value our relationship.

I grow on people.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206406 Jan 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, innuendo is part of it.
But there's much more I find objectionable in Ann Coulter.
For starters, I'm not fond of scum.
Wow. Buck's a fan of Ann Coulter?

Now there's a surprise![/sarcasm]

#206407 Jan 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a rulebook, Buck.
And there's a referee--The Supreme Court.
Buck just doesn't seem to realize that the Constitution put SCOTUS in charge of interpreting the Constitution.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#206408 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No Vatican edict says they accept Darwinism.
If I'm wrong, show one.......
" In 1996, Pope John Paul II reiterated the Catholic TE position, according to which God created, evolution occurred, human beings may indeed have been descended from more primitive forms, and the Hand of God was required for the production of the human soul.
Statements from the Church in recent decades hold that faith and scientific findings regarding human evolution are not in conflict, though humans are regarded as a special creation, and that the existence of God is required to explain both monogenism and the spiritual component of human origins. Moreover, the Church teaches that the process of evolution is a planned and purpose-driven natural process, guided by God. Catholics can believe in evolution just as long as God's involvement is acknowledged, according to some top Catholic leaders."

"Catholics Accept Evolution Guided by God". The Christian Post. Retrieved 2007-10-18.

Richard P. McBrien. The HarperCollins Encyclopædia of Catholicism. HarperCollins. Retrieved 2007-10-18. "From this most primitive form of life, the divinely-guided process of evolution by natural selection brought about higher life forms."

Communion and Stewardship: Human Persons Created in the Image of God, plenary sessions held in Rome 2000–2002, published July 2004,§63

I am sure your opinion carries more weight with Catholics than the Vatican's.

ROFLMAO

Location hidden

#206409 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read Matthew 19, he said the Kingdom of Heaven, and in the next verse the Kingdom of God. Are you suggesting that the Bible doesn't talk about an afterlife?
"Entering the kingdom" is not about an afterlife.

Luke 17:20-21

20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The standard Christian take is wrong.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#206410 Jan 22, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are a few more
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharps...
Vatican backs Darwin, dumps creationism
16:38 11 February 2009
http://io9.com/does-the-new-pope-believe-in-e...
Does the new Pope believe in evolution
The answer is actually yes. And in fact, the Roman Catholic Church has recognized Darwinian evolution for the past 60 years. It openly rejects Intelligent Design and Young Earth Creationism saying that it "pretends to be science."
Correct.
The Vatican, in a politically correct way, is basically saying the Protestant Literalists, Fundamentalists and Creationists are ignorant, uneducated, backwards morons..... The Vatican is quite correct on that.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#206411 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I credit you. You chose to be more. Well done.
I agree, why would a God deliver Bongo and ignore countless others..........

“"None shall pass"”

There

#206412 Jan 22, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I read a post by you when the discussion was going on saying there absolutely shouldn't be prayer in school
If i am wrong then I apologize
<quoted text>
I disagree the church impacted available solutions.....
(T) Peace
I am unaware of the RCC blocking the distribution of condoms or clean needles by private individuals anywhere in the world.
I do know that US Govt. has done so in the past and still has laws restricting the distribution of clean needles and even condoms.

Mote in the eye or what ?

#206413 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
He isn't stupid, he is simply a troll.
I will admit to the simple part.:-)
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206414 Jan 22, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Duckman
You said I was phelps, he was a lawyer
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206415 Jan 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, innuendo is part of it.
But there's much more I find objectionable in Ann Coulter.
For starters, I'm not fond of scum.
That's nasty. And to think she is a Cornell grad who makes a lot more money than you . You really are a bigot.

#206416 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I grow on people.
Oh, man did you leave yourself wide open with that one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Paul Scott 70,368
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Paul Scott 30,412
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 8 hr Paul Scott 3,818
News Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 13 hr greymouser 70,631
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Sat John 14,736
How To Get To Heaven When You Die Fri Eagle 12 87
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Fri Eagle 12 462
More from around the web