Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#206081 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Tao is the creative and motive force of the Universe. The closest English word for it is "God".
You seem to have accepted the Christian definition of "God" as the only definition there is.
I was ordained a Taoist Preist in 1985 so I know a little bit about it.
Your alleged quite from the Tao Te Ching leaves a lot to be desired and is actually more related to a motorcycle club than any Eastern Philosophy, a common misconception.
Here is a translation of the Mandarin opening of Tao Te Ching. The translation is mine:
"Existence can not be explained.
Words may be used to describe it,
none of them are absolute."
It may have been, if Lao-Tse ran a motorcycle club. I guess i'm surprised that an ordained priest or whatever, you'd not recognize the distillation of a lesson from The Wisdom Of LaoTse. My copy is translated by Lin Yutang - mayhap yours is different. In the first chapter, LaoTse proposes a scene in which an acolyte named Ether is inquiring of the Infinite and No-action about Tao, and receives different answers. He complains as much to No-beginning, who replies:

"The one who thinks he does not know is profound, and the one who thinks he knows is shallow."

Ether raised his head and sighed, "Then one who does not know really knows, and one who knows really does not know."

And No-beginning said, "If someone replies to a question about Tao, he does not know Tao."

And that's enough about that. I do appreciate you peaking my interest in digging it out again. It's been awhile.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#206082 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That should teach you not to marry a prude.
The Bible doesn't say sex within a marriage is bad. In fact, it advocates lots and lots of sex.
"Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth..."
Mission accomplished. Now stop it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206083 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly
Should they also hand out ski masks if people want to commit armed robbery because its in their best interest not to be identified?
There are other groups responsible for teaching public health and safety. The church's role is to teach morality within the faith.
It doesn't tell people to have pre-marital sex
It doesn't tell them to cheat
And it doesn't tell them whether or not to wear a condom when doing so
What it did teach is for married couples to procreate. It certainly doesn't want people going out and having a bunch of kids out of wedlock or getting a disease but its not the role of the church to provide a means for people to sin
Although I don't know of any organization set up to combat AIDS that wouldn't tell someone if they are going to ignore Christ's teachings then at least be as safe as they can. But is there anybody that doesn't know what a condom is? The role of the church is to try to get people to respect their marriages and not to sleep around. How did that become a bad thing?
It became a bad thing when sex-craved (or starved) people found out that Christianity promotes healthy sex, one on one sex, marital sex, and nothing more.

What you just wrote that really stand out is:

"It doesn't tell people to have pre-marital sex
It doesn't tell them to cheat
And it doesn't tell them whether or not to wear a condom when doing so"

That's 100% correct. Churches aren't their as medical support centers, even though they assist in any way they can. They're their to promote faith in God and knowledge about the Bible.

It'd be totally hypocritical of them to hand out condone to anyone other than married couples. According to the church, single people are to withhold from sex.

Everyone should know this already. Why it's a debate is beyond me. Maybe the scapegoat thing....

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#206084 Jan 21, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I don't take his posts to seriously unless irritated enough. We all sit on death row.
<quoted text> Exactly.
<quoted text> He owes you nothing, not even life. We owe Him everything.
<quoted text> You want justice?
<quoted text> Job 40:1. Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty?.....8. Will you condemn Me that you may be justified?
There ya go - that's where it goes from tragic to ridiculous. Here's righteous Job, who has done nothing wrong, but merely asks wtf is going on, and how does God reply?

By primping and preening and crowing about his mighty works AND putting Job down in the bargain.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> None of what you are printing is anything new. Go your own way and see where you end up but don't say you were not warned. Satan is allowed access to Job but there are boundaries. Satan does not have to do anything to Job. Satan acts for a reason, to discredit God [sound familiar?] and ruin Job. Interesting you put the blame on God and ignore Satan.
Why should we look at anyone but the Boss? I always look to the Head Cheese, everyone below takes their lead from him. This Boss is a holy ass

is all I'm sayin'.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#206085 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I think HIV is a health issue brought on, and spread by, substandard morality.

What are you talking about? Christians are all over Africa doing what they can to prevent the spread of any more diseases.

They cant help it if the people won't listen.
They could hand out condoms and provide non biblical, basic sex education.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#206086 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>He meant worldly riches mean nothing.

All that matters is faith.
Yet you think it would be "retarded" to give up your job and material possessions.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206087 Jan 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Do you think that the Supreme Court acted outside of the law? Incidentally, what makes you think that the people are still governing themselves? Let me reword that: if the people ever ceased governing themselves, how would you know? Would there definitely be a herald of some sort that there had been a change, or could it happen without being public knowledge? What would be the telltale signs that you would look for to prove to yourself that no such thing had happened? What things are true where self-government thrives that are not true where it does not?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Diversity of thought and direction of ideas to implement.

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore, waiting to take you away. A bird inthe handis worth two in the bush.

[QUOTE who="Dave Nelson"] When you look to the government to tell you how to think you lost it. Watching and listening to Big Brother. Government becomes the Establishment, the Authority. The dictator of ideas. All because you think men have the answers. Government becomes your brain. Especially when you are told there is nothing greater in the universe or existence. You assume they are the best brain cells in the body human. Self government is a lot more chaotic. A few decades ago government and special interests seized the microphone and you have been dancing to their tune since. The internet has provided more microphones that those powers are trying to control via the remnants of that original mass media. They will, with your help. Your whole perspective of existence is being part of that body human. Your intellectual prowess is limited to rationalizing what they tell you are "the truths" of your existence, and a faith they are right.
Clown control to Mao Tse Tung. Clown control to Mao Tse Tung.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#206088 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>And jam! It's very important to have jam.
Blackberry jam. Hey wilderide, long time no see :)
(JuicyLu)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#206089 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with consciousness ?
Do you believe that electrons have to be sentient to make electricity, too ?
There is an issue with the definition of things like electrons and sentience that makes it difficult to link.

But let's go with scientific models and see if we can.

Your sentience is determined by the electrical activity in your brain, which occurs in molecules that exchange electricity. There are differences of thinking as to if an electron is the carrier of this force, or if a charge originating from a mass is passed from the valences of each atom along the way. The balance of an atom gets disturbed and it stresses its neighbors,

So, scientifically, your sentience and consciousness is a result of these imbalances of charge, becoming "thought", an immaterial but very real aspect of the greater physics of what's happening.

The addition of these charges, which we will call your electrons, increases the connections that can be made, You start building a network of information flow.

This thinking then also impacts physical portions of your body, that immaterial stuff that created thought, via EM induction on the atomic scale. The meat made the mind, the mind made the meat move, in a nutshell.

However, by scientific observation, this process has been determined to occur all over the universe in varying degree. The sun emits electrons toward us, along with protons and other goodies, and we have a magnetic filed that captures and channels those little bundles of energy according to the path of least resistance, which is how the Tao works.

There is a bunch of links to follow, but I would say it was a good bet that all of those little electron animals, or whatever you want to call them, eventually wind up in streams exchanging charges and information with each other that then impact other masses. It could be that big old 3D from here inside it universe has some neural circuitry aspects to it. Lord knows,some of those NASA photos do look a lot like neurons and such, from a distance. You may look the same from deep within you.

The Tao is let it be and try not to fight. Do what you have to do, but let things develop with the least interference on the larger scale.. Go with the flow. That is the way of the Tao.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206090 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
People gotta have a scapegoat.
Dunno why ...
Me neither

And it makes other arguments lose credibility

But the same thing happens almost any time there is a 'side' concerning anything. Nobody wants to give an inch. Nobody will concede anything good. The need to demonized becomes all-encompassing.

Groups are made up of people. Most groups because of that will have its share of good and its share of problems. Reasonable people will acknowledge both components

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206091 Jan 21, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Mission accomplished. Now stop it.
CAN'T......

......STOP

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206092 Jan 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
They could hand out condoms and provide non biblical, basic sex education.
Nah. Not Christians.

We'll stick to teaching morals.

You atheists can hand out the free condoms.

Get to it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206093 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Nobody else needs approval but what they can demand is the right to make important medical decisions, to citizenship, to spousal privilege, to tax breaks, to medical coverage, to etc, etc. To claim those rights are only available to straight people is wrong.
Agreed.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206094 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>It may have been, if Lao-Tse ran a motorcycle club. I guess i'm surprised that an ordained priest or whatever, you'd not recognize the distillation of a lesson from The Wisdom Of LaoTse.....
"Wisdom of Lao Tse" ? You are such a piker. LOL

It is called "The Book (Ching) of the Way (Tao) and the Power (Te)" There is no mention of Lao Tzu in the text or title.

You say "distillation" I say pitiful bastardization.

Of course you are an expert in Chinese philosophy .... how is that again ?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206095 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
He meant worldly riches mean nothing.

All that matters is faith.
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Yet you think it would be "retarded" to give up your job and material possessions.
"Worldly riches", not basic necessities.

Dumb ass.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#206096 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>..... Ether is inquiring of the Infinite and No-action about Tao, and receives different answers. He complains as much to No-beginning, who replies:
"The one who thinks he does not know is profound, and the one who thinks he knows is shallow."
Ether raised his head and sighed, "Then one who does not know really knows, and one who knows really does not know."
And No-beginning said, "If someone replies to a question about Tao, he does not know Tao."....
I have no idea where you got this. It is not from the Tao Te Ching.

You are doing the equivalent of passing off a 'Left Behind' DVD as The Bible. Sorry, I know better. Let me know if you are really interested in discussing Taoist Philosophy.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#206097 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
There ya go - that's where it goes from tragic to ridiculous. Here's righteous Job, who has done nothing wrong, but merely asks wtf is going on, and how does God reply?
By primping and preening and crowing about his mighty works AND putting Job down in the bargain.
<quoted text>Why should we look at anyone but the Boss? I always look to the Head Cheese, everyone below takes their lead from him. This Boss is a holy ass
is all I'm sayin'.
"Life's a bitch! Deal with it!"

That is the message of Job.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#206098 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an issue with the definition of things like electrons and sentience that makes it difficult to link........
All you do is babble meaninglessly.

I have issues with Hip and others but at least they try to make a meaningful discussion and makes lots of good points. People like you, Buck, Wassup and RR, etc. Just babble meaningless drivel that simply wastes my time.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#206100 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Recording the call?
You got it.

But of course there will be no prosecution for that.

And other victims are now speaking out.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206101 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is babble meaninglessly.
I have issues with Hip and others but at least they try to make a meaningful discussion and makes lots of good points. People like you, Buck, Wassup and RR, etc. Just babble meaningless drivel that simply wastes my time.
At least Buck is amusing. I find it hilarious that any (supposedly) sentient being could say the things Buck says.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min Thinking 2,399
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 15 min Thinking 160
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 39 min Thinking 23,205
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 16 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... Sun Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... Sun Thinking 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Dec 20 Yiago 148
More from around the web