Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206177 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
An epistemology is a study of the nature knowledge. So in other words, faith is not a reliable way of determining knowledge or truth. For example, using faith, how would one determine which religion is "true"? They obviously can't all be true, because they all contradict each other in various ways, and thus at least some of them are false. Using faith, how to we determine which are true or false?
For Riverside Redneck:

Experience and experiment (empiricism) can be a path to knowledge. If every time I heat ice to 32°F it melts, I know something. Conflicting ideas cannot be supported by evidence.

Pure reason (rationalism) can be a path to knowledge. It tells us that 7+4=11, and unless we redefine what those symbols mean, no opposite opinion can be supported by reason.

But faith (fideism) can't possibly be a path to truth or knowledge since any position and its opposite can be held by faith.

Fennario

#206178 Jan 22, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Go your own way and see where you end up but don't say you were not warned.
That's exactly what Muslims say. What will you tell Allah?

Fennario

#206179 Jan 22, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Should they also hand out ski masks if people want to commit armed robbery because its in their best interest not to be identified?
Think of them as head condoms.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#206180 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Who benefits from you taking that advice?

That's the slave ethics I referred to earlier that exhort the faithful to be meek, to be glad of poverty, and to not only turn the other cheek to those injuring them, but to love them - to expect nothing in this life but hardship and injustice, and be glad of it, for these are tests of their faith as with Job, and their reward will come later.
"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Job not necessarily poor and i do like the Bonaparte quote and Christianity's early appeal was mostly to the slave class. Why would you assume i am handing out advice? Offering a synopsis of Job is not the same as handing out advice. Hardship and injustice is a fact of life for many people worldwide and has little to do with expectations or personal control. So i don't know what point, if any you are trying to make. Your Bonaparte quote brings up an Ayn Rand quote.

Private property is superstition. One holds property only by the courtesy of those who do not seize it.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#206181 Jan 22, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>That doesn't even make any sense
Another retard so bent on opposing that simply doing so is valued much higher than how it is done
Although I will give you this, you seem to at least understand your limited ability to contribute anything worthwhile and don't bother trying to convince yourself or anyone else otherwise. That's something I guess. At least even you know you are useless in adult conversation
The saddest part is you thinking that you do.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#206182 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I don't get location jokes.
*wonders off to read about West Virginia*
It sounds like the sort of joke we make about Tasmanians.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#206183 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I see it much AA. I can not look down on a heroin addict thinking alcoholism made me better than them. I say, " I understand you and have been where you are. I can show you how I find a better way if you are interested in changing your life."
If they aren't interested I say, "OK. If you change your mind you know where to find me."
I don't despise people in the valley simply because I was given the opportunity to climb the mountain.
That's a good attitude to have, Ben.

Nobody's really better than anyone else, we're just different. And we all make mistakes.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#206184 Jan 22, 2014
I would recommend that everyone watch this. It's a long video but it's worth spending the time on.

Sam Harris on Free Will:

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206185 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
How is that tromping on religious expression?
There is an really unfortunate aspect to the Christian martyr complex, that if one does not get to oppress others then they are being oppressed themselves. This is the sentiment that Dave is expressing, and you see it so often among the other theist posters. To me, that displays very little empathy and no concern for tolerance.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#206186 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
BenAdam wrote:
His wife is Bisexual. CC can't understand that.
CC is too busy playing God to face reality.
<quoted text>
Huh. I smell a bit of hypocrisy brewing.
timn & I were debating this man that was married with kids and left his wife because he realized he was gay.
They call him gay now.
Even though he's been intimate with women countless times.
They call him gay.
But you call a woman who was lesbian but now married to a man bisexual.
You call her bisexual.
According to Topix Atheist! logic, you should be calling her straight.
Just like the guy is now called gay.
Hard to decide with people I don't know, but only hear a bit of gossip about. OK either they're both bisexual, or else "doing their duty". Trying to live up to the expectations of society, their beliefs, etc.

#206187 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
I smell a book opportunity: Of Penguins and Prosperity: The Central Question of Financial Origins
The key to becoming prosperous in the Christian prosperity movement is to become one the preachers that tells the flock to give him money so that they will be repaid by God.

It is a very short, but broad, pyramid scheme.

#206188 Jan 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like the sort of joke we make about Tasmanians.
My brother married a Swedish woman and moved there. He told that the Swedes tell Norwegian jokes.

True story, though.

Some time back, when I was posting regularly on the evolution threads, I was trying to explain that the DNA evidence linking T-Rex and chickens did not mean chickens were descended from T-Rex. It merely meant that they were related. Just as he and his uncle had similar DNA, but he was not descended from his uncle.

Now, keep in mind this creationist was from WVa.

His response..."How do you know I'm not descended from my uncle?"

And there you have it.

#206189 Jan 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to decide with people I don't know, but only hear a bit of gossip about. OK either they're both bisexual, or else "doing their duty". Trying to live up to the expectations of society, their beliefs, etc.
The situation you present above has led to a lot of very unhappy relationships.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#206190 Jan 22, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you view HIV as a moral or health issue ??..
.. for faithful African women, marriage is a major risk factor and Bush's AIDS prevention mantra of abstinence only, subsidized by taxpayer dollars, is failing them ..
: how can you compare lives saved by condoms against lives lost through policies based on religious morals that sabotage known prevention measures ??..
.. I'm sorry RR, I find your comments disingenuous. The current HIV prevention program in Africa, underscored by anti-gay views, has become a patronage system for the religious right and the emphasis on abstinence has resulted in unnecessary deaths ..
That's what they said in a book I read about third world women, called Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. The most likely way for a woman to put herself at risk of HIV was to get married.

Even some prostitutes are less at risk, they said, because they are more likely to use protection.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#206191 Jan 22, 2014
Cooooool!

I haven't watched that Sam Harris video in well over a year, but when the time came to pick a city, I picked Cairo. I had absolutely no conscious memory that he would use that city as an example, but that's what floated up. When he said the city I picked, at first I was freaked out, until I remembered that I had watched the video before. That old connection came into play after more than a year of disuse.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#206192 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Angry and bitter? Delve into the Old Testament and quote Paul. Sweet and loving? Ignore all that and focus on Jesus specifically. You truly can make the Bible say anything you like, at all.
To take another example, look at Joel Osteen and the latest trend of "gospel of prosperity". They peddle a message that wealth is the result of God's favor on a person, which DIRECTLY contradicts what Jesus said about camels passing through the eyes of needles. When you directly contradict what the supposed savior you are worshipping is supposed to have said, and said clearly, then how can you be called a Christian anymore?
Hi Wilde. This song reminds me of the whole televangelist thing. As we know, some are more moral than others.

They're all filthy rich tho. Religion is a good business...

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#206193 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that the Old Testament clearly says it's sinful. My question is, what's the rationale for that? Likewise, the Bible also says slavery is perfectly moral; in fact it even gives instructions on how to sell a daughter into sexual slavery. Nothing in the New Testament contradicts this, and so presumably slavery is still perfectly moral. What's the rationale for that?
You would be a good person to be in an Ethics class with. Imagine the questions and discussions...

And I don't think the OT is the most ethical manual.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#206194 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
A lot of us do.
And if more did, there wouldn't be the STD epidemics sweeping the globe.
It's time to teach morality again.
A few years ago I read a report from one of the AIDS research people, I cant remember who or what, that stated the culture of most Africans is skewed to the passing along of aids. For instance, you are discussing sex between practically strangers, and that they have convinced a lot of people to use condoms for that purpose, but in actuality, most men and women in Africa have several lovers that they have sex with on a regular basis. And no condom is used. They may see these people one a week, once a month, or once a year, but it is a regular happenstance so they don't think about it being an occurance that warrants the use of condoms. So aids continues to be a passed on problem.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206195 Jan 22, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well by faith in this instance I don't mean belief without proof but rather he did not turn his back on God
Despite the tribulations he faced he stayed loyal to God
The reward I am referring to is eternal life and other things received in Heaven, not any Earthly rewards
I am not sure about the loyalty but if that is what you see, OK.

I don't need heaven as a reward. I find life to be enough of a reward on its own.

I think we read into these parable what we want and what we need. No harm in that, rather what a wonderful thing it is... as long as we realize that we all have different wants and needs.

I hope you get the reward you seek. In the mean time, I am glad to share this life, this moment, this Universe with you.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#206196 Jan 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what they said in a book I read about third world women, called Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. The most likely way for a woman to put herself at risk of HIV was to get married.
Even some prostitutes are less at risk, they said, because they are more likely to use protection.
I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a documentary out on DVD called " I Am A Girl ".

I think you would find it interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min DanFromSmithville 35,033
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 24 min karl44 20,091
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr superwilly 3,710
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr Thinking 155
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr ChristineM 14,939
There are no such things as gods or fairies 9 hr Amused 102
Majority of Scots now have no religion 9 hr Amused 163
More from around the web