Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 240145 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#206011 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reading a very interesting article recently about how parasites sometimes manipulate their hosts. For example, there is a parasite in cat urine which infects the brains of mice, which makes them both crave cat urine and disables their fear of cats. The mice go to where the cats are, which then eat the mice, wherein the parasites mate and breed in the cats, and then get recycled again for the next set of mice. There is also evidence that certain strains of flu make people feel more social when they are the most contagious. Given that we are numerically mostly colonies of bacteria and "other" components, what if we are really more like the Portuguese Man O' War; a collective colony of organisms which all vie to manipulate us? What if we don't run the show as much as we flatter ourselves? I think it's an interesting idea, even though it's only an hypothesis.
I've pondered that very thing. It's a fascinating idea. Our bodies host something like 10 times more bacteria than cells, many of which are vital to our health, some to our very survival. We're a walking biome - a bacteria terrarium if you will. Who's really in charge here?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#206012 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>The teaching of not using condoms is based on the criteria that the sex being engaged in is both monogamous and within a marriage. And if someone isn't going to do those things then they should stay abstinent.
In no way has the church taught that someone someone shouldn't use a condom when having premarital sex with strangers. It doesn't teach that because before someone can even get to the issue of needing protection they first are only supposed to be having sex with their spouse
You can't apply a teaching to a situation the teaching is not directed at
.. yep, and, that's the problem ..

.. your tax dollars are not being used for their intended purpose. Christians cannot educate Africans on ALL methods of HIV prevention because any sexual relationship outside of marriage is sinful ..

.. I'm pretty well done with this topic. As usual, you may have the final word ..

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#206013 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I have no problem with the teaching of abstinence or marriage-only sexual relations to prevent HIV. In most instances, that's the only foolproof method to avoid the virus ..
.. however, because of culture and human sexuality, all options should be included. Instead of teaching Africans about condoms and respect for women, Christians are teaching religion and abstinence, conveying anti-gay messages and promoting a patriarchal system ..
Hmmmm...

Are you aware of any matriarchal societies of old that have stood the test of time, and any sort of power today?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206014 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I have no problem with the teaching of abstinence or marriage-only sexual relations to prevent HIV. In most instances, that's the only foolproof method to avoid the virus ..
.. however, because of culture and human sexuality, all options should be included. Instead of teaching Africans about condoms and respect for women, Christians are teaching religion and abstinence, conveying anti-gay messages and promoting a patriarchal system ..
It does not seem that people who are not following the Christian doctrines of monogamy and heterosexuality (let alone rape and murder of their neighbors) are going to give a shit what the church says about condoms.

I think, in this instance, the Church is a non player. These tribes have been raping and murdering their neighbors for thousands of years. I see no reason to blame the Church other than for providing new excuses for millenia old tribal warfare.

“The future begins”

every moment

#206015 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. I'm in a corner with the proposition we have a Constitution and courts can stray from it.
How will I ever extricate myself?
Maybe if I show the Court saying the Court strayed from it?
Naaaa. Probably not good enough. How do I get myself into these fixes?
How 'bout if I insult Christians? Would that get me some points?
I know. I'll claim a donut has infinite length. That's a winner here.
Who was I to think I could stand up to the intellect of Topix Atheists?
Did you know E=mc^2 proves there's no god?
Bwahahahahahahahahha.....
But you didn't say, "courts can stray from it". This ain't "courts", this is The Court, established by the Constitution to say what that Constitution means. Whatever the Court says at any given time, that's what the Constitution means, until countermanded by a subsequent decision.

It ain't a perfect system, but it's the best we've come up with yet.

Buck, the only reason I find your point weak is because you only think they stray when you disagree with their decision. If you don't see the hubris in that stance, well, there ya go. I guess it'd be surprising if you did.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#206016 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I don't pretend to speak as an insider, but in my opinion
Tao is a way. It is definitely NOT a religion, much less an entity with a name.
"Those who know, don't say.
Those who say, don't know."
Tao Te Ching
Spinoza's idea was not "Nature is God", but that God may be manifest in nature - not just nature as in "trees and clouds" but also including attributes of human nature. Some may think this signifies Deism, but the primary difference was the multiplicity of manifestations. Spinoza: "as to the view of certain people that I identify god with nature (taken as a kind of mass or corporeal matter), they are quite mistaken".
I'm sorry, I find your take on these two to be surface, like a rock skipping across a deep pond. At the same time I agree with your summation at the last there. It just IS. In any case, whatever works for you, works for me, so long as you don't take the last slice of pizza.
Peace in truth and the light of knowledge.
HipG
It's a religion. Just more individualistic than others.

It acknowledges a higher consciousness exists.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#206018 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
So two carpenters decided to build a house on a empty lot on main street. They took the imitative and did all the work. Paying for all the materials themselves.

Finally the house was completed. Then comes along the critics.“I think they should have done this or that to the building. And the windows are too small for me said another.”

Then others criticized the location of the chimney. Then some didn’t like how steep the roof was. One of the two carpenters satisfied with their work said,“where were all these critics when we were building?”

Christians paid for sending the message about Christ to Africa, built the schools, sent the teachers, drilled the fresh water wells, clothed & feed the people. And did all the work. Where were you when all this was going on?

Apparently you didn’t have a message to send to Africa because you didn’t send it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#206019 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Edit HL
And what Christian organization tied the funding of HIV prevention to abstinence and being faithful?
The post was simply an end-run to still put the blame for the spread of AIDS on the Christian organizations in Africa. Not only it wasn't the organizations that tied the funding to anything (which is why claiming that implies they withhold funds based on that) but where is the fault of the Christian organizations in Africa for the spread of AIDS?
It has been demonstrated over and over again that, like communism, abstinence only works in theory, not in practice. Therefore, what is the moral culpability to an organization who rejects more effective preventative measures in favor of an ideology that has been proven not to work?

Safe sex DOES work in practice.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#206020 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there objective evidence that a "higher consciousness" exists?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206021 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are tying things to AIDS prevention that have nothing to do with Christianity and with things that its teaching would help stop the spread of AIDS

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Galatians 3:28
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge .

So how is teaching abstinence or monogamous sex only and to love your wife contributing to the spread of AIDS?

And now you want the faith to take on even a bigger role and not only teach the faith but teach societal values separate from the teachings as well? Seems like an odd expectation from someone who didn't want them involved in the first place no?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#206022 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I don't pretend to speak as an insider, but in my opinion
Tao is a way. It is definitely NOT a religion, much less an entity with a name.
"Those who know, don't say.
Those who say, don't know."
Tao Te Ching
Spinoza's idea was not "Nature is God", but that God may be manifest in nature - not just nature as in "trees and clouds" but also including attributes of human nature. Some may think this signifies Deism, but the primary difference was the multiplicity of manifestations. Spinoza: "as to the view of certain people that I identify god with nature (taken as a kind of mass or corporeal matter), they are quite mistaken".
I'm sorry, I find your take on these two to be surface, like a rock skipping across a deep pond. At the same time I agree with your summation at the last there. It just IS. In any case, whatever works for you, works for me, so long as you don't take the last slice of pizza.
Peace in truth and the light of knowledge.
HipG
Tao is the creative and motive force of the Universe. The closest English word for it is "God".
You seem to have accepted the Christian definition of "God" as the only definition there is.

I was ordained a Taoist Preist in 1985 so I know a little bit about it.
Your alleged quite from the Tao Te Ching leaves a lot to be desired and is actually more related to a motorcycle club than any Eastern Philosophy, a common misconception.
Here is a translation of the Mandarin opening of Tao Te Ching. The translation is mine:

"Existence can not be explained.
Words may be used to describe it,
none of them are absolute."
christINSANITY is evil

Leamington, Canada

#206023 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>The teaching of not using condoms is based on the criteria that the sex being engaged in is both monogamous and within a marriage. And if someone isn't going to do those things then they should stay abstinent.
In no way has the church taught that someone someone shouldn't use a condom when having premarital sex with strangers. It doesn't teach that because before someone can even get to the issue of needing protection they first are only supposed to be having sex with their spouse
You can't apply a teaching to a situation the teaching is not directed at
If you think people will stop fng youre an Idiot,,

Abstinence may work for very old geezers like you,but not young folk!

“Love much, trust none”

There

#206024 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tao is not conscious or sentient.

I love the way people pretend to be experts on things they know nothing about. Like Christians telling the Jews they don't know shit about Judaism.

Location hidden

#206025 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yep, and, that's the problem ..
.. your tax dollars are not being used for their intended purpose. Christians cannot educate Africans on ALL methods of HIV prevention because any sexual relationship outside of marriage is sinful ..
.. I'm pretty well done with this topic. As usual, you may have the final word ..
What are you talking about?

Are secular organizations in Africa speaking out against adultery?

Are secular organizations in Africa combatting AIDS teaching to keep the marriage bed sacred?

Are secular organizations teaching remain abstinent if not married?

The best ways to combat AIDS is to instill a respect for self and spouse. Anybody can say "wear a condom". Do you think they are unaware of what condoms are? Obviously just the message to wear protection hasn't done much.

On one hand you claim the church is at fault for not teaching more like to respect women (which they do) and then on the flip side you try to say its their fault for not stressing the least effective way to combat AIDS which is to wrap up when having sex with strangers instead of being one of the few groups that tries to address the problem before a person even puts themselves at risk

Find me anything that confirms Christian organizations in Africa tell people not to wear condoms when having sex with strangers. That is pure nonsense

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#206026 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I have not been disrespectful
.. disagree ..
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>And you claimed the Christian organizations in Africa tied the funding to abstinence and stating faithful.
.. I did not say that, Monitor did ..

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/0603a/copyrigh ...

"Yet while decades of research support the dramatic impact of comprehensive safer sex and condom distribution programs, recipients of these abstinence grants are disallowed from promoting condom use, distributing condoms, or educating about their proper usage. In effect, this program is morality masquerading as public policy, and the public health effects could be devastating."
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I have not been disrespectful
How could they do that without deciding to withhold funds since the organizations themselves have no authority to tie the original funds to anything. That was the legislators.
.. now you have it. Under Bush, Congress approved 1/3 of AIDS funding goes to faith-based organizations ..
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>So by blaming the organizations and saying they are tying funds to those things, it implies they are doing that on the local level. So the confusion came from you blaming Christian organizations in Africa in how the funds were tied.
.. Christian organizations were funded to provide HIV/AIDS educational programs. For me, that should include condoms. Instead, faith-based programs include anti-women and anti-gay messages ..
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
But what is the main point then? In what way are Christian organizations in Africa responsible for the spread of AIDS when they teach abstinence or monogamous sex within marriage?
.. they fail to teach condom prevention ..
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone isn't sexually active only within their marriage then the teachings of condoms has nothing to do with them
.. bingo! There's the problem. Humans do not abstain from sex outside of marriage therefore knowledge of condoms is imperative ..

.. glad I was able to help you through your 'Stream of Consciousness'..

“The future begins”

every moment

#206027 Jan 21, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> God tests. <quoted text> Job's defense is trust in God and not in anything else. <quoted text> Shall we accept good from God and not accept adversity?
<quoted text> That has been your premise all along and you arrive at your foregone conclusion. It is a biblical lesson for all of humankind. The lesson being trust in God in spite of Earthly circumstances which appear unjust. It is a counter balance to Deut. 28 and blessings in the form of prosperity, health, well being of children etc. for obedience.
Here is what you ignored.
What does God owe you?
Humans find themselves in horrible earthly circumstances beyond their control every day and they either trust God in spite of these circumstances or they blame God or they are indifferent to God.
That is why the writer of Proverbs wrote to trust in the Lord with all your heart and not lean on your own understanding. Eventually things work out, even if it is not in this life.
I see Wilde has dealt with the more glaring inanities here, so I'll not rehash (at this time).

What does God owe me? Nothing more than he act like something more than a cranky, capricious, vainglorious old man. Something we can look up to and aspire toward. Something that transcends earthly attributes, and not just parlor tricks to impress his enemies.

If Job is an inspired analogy of God's "justice", I see no reason to trust It. We are on our own.
christINSANITY is evil

Leamington, Canada

#206028 Jan 21, 2014
destroy atheism wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you are an atheist with that ugly nasty attitude.
And I can tell youre an nasty ugly

Internet TROLL
Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).
Trolls don't have friends. On the internet, because they interact with human beings, they can convince themselves that they are important, the centre of the universe - that, to them, is better than any friendship.

Don't forget, the troll thinks he is always right, and therefore better than other folk. In real life, exactly the opposite applies. the troll has no friends and virtually no interaction with other people.

If he's a teen (many are), then he lives in his bedroom, trolling, playing computer games with 'friends'(who he doesn't know at all), and joining roleplay sites, where - of course - he is a hero, or a powerful villain, who is respected in an inverse ratio to the respect he feels for himself.

If he's an adult, then he has serious social issues. He may work, where people think he's a weirdo, and avoid him, he may sponge off his parents or be 'looking for work', which means he blames everyone for his problems. Except himself.
Most people who are out of work are nothing like the stereotype; most want to work, and gain their self respect through work and being part of the world; but the troll IS the stereotype whining scrounger, to whom the world owes a living.

Almost every troll is male; I don't know why this is.

The troll has few social skills, and most have never had a girlfriend, many never will.

There's a clear pattern among trolls; they are much more likely to ignore posts known to be from women. And when they do respond to women, they are much more likely to be brief, abusive, condescending and patronising.

This is almost certainly more due to fear than misogyny - they just don't know any women. Except Mom. But their attitude rather reduces their chances of reproducing, which is probably a good thing.

“The future begins”

every moment

#206029 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't change anything
You said they would withhold funding for AIDS prevention for those not being abstinent or faithful. I can copy your post if you like. It is just annoying to do on the phone. Whatever semantic games you want to play doesn't change what you claimed. And what you claimed is not the case at all.

No funds are withheld due to whether someone is abstinent or faithful
Funding certainly was contingent on the recipient making abstinence education the cornerstone of the effort, thus the effect is exactly the same. Something like 2/3 of the funds were earmarked only for abstinence education. Condoms were to be given only to specifically-defined "high-risk" individuals. The numbers tell the story.

Location hidden

#206030 Jan 21, 2014
Edit

And by that logo no funding should go to any secular organization that in addition to promoting condoms does not also teach people should only have sex with their wife or abstain. Because they are leaving out two extremely effective ways to combat AIDS

And as it strictly pertains to AIDS, homosexual male sex is the way it is the most likely to be transmuted. So how does the teachings of the church on homosexuality help to increase the spread of AIDS

I have no doubt that those involved with AIDS prevention tell people that if they decide to defile the marriage bed or do not engage in abstinence to at least wear protection. But I find it mind-boggling someone can claim teaching people to refrain from sex unless it is with your wife are contributing to the spread of AIDS
christINSANITY is evil

Leamington, Canada

#206031 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://people.howstuffworks.com/meaning-of-ta...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangu
Eggs are laid, or designed and constructed.
You can refer to my many posts about the BBT and a seed or egg.
Chaos is only not being able to see the larger picture.
You don't exist unless something caused it. Pure hard accepted scientific fact.
What caused god?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 22 min The_Box 143
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 28 min woodtick57 7,699
Reason is the root of mental illness!!! 3 hr Amused 4
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr NoahLovesU 19,153
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Thinking 2,248
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Tue Reason Personified 166
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Tue Reason Personified 14,660
More from around the web