Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205895 Jan 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
They are telling that to everyone...and almost no one listens.
You would think that they would understand this after 2000 years, but I guess they are just slow learners.
RR: "blame the Africans". How racist.
How thefuck is that racist?!?

Are you gonna ignorantly sit here and think that "blame the Africans" is equal to "blame the blacks"?!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205896 Jan 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm surprised you didn't say, "blame the monkeys."
You too?

You think African = black?

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#205897 Jan 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Read Hume: Everything is a belief, not knowledge.
If you play billiards, and strike a ball toward another, do you know what will happen?
Only within the confines of the table. And only because the balls are the same shape and size.

I can give you mathematical principles to explain your limited visions and understandings, and thus totally wrong, but I won't. You know I lean more to the colorful stuff.

Imagine awakening standing on a highway in the middle of nowhere with a bucket on your head. take it off. Look around and deduce where you are. You aren't in the desert, you are on the road. This relates to continuums I won't get into.

Or you can continue to stand there with the bucket on to keep the sun off your head. You might want to keep your ears open, though.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#205898 Jan 21, 2014
Ian's this place is eating posts of mine. Gonna wait to see if they show up.

Don't know if the last posts are disappearing for anyone else. This has happened to Topix before

La Veta, CO

#205899 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Ian's this place is eating posts of mine. Gonna wait to see if they show up.
Don't know if the last posts are disappearing for anyone else. This has happened to Topix before
You can run into issues updating, sometimes. Maybe cookies or the links between you and their servers. If it gets bad try hitting the go to last post link to see if it resets, or close and restart the browser.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#205900 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Fascinating.
Did they ever act outside the law, and you agreed with their finding? Which, if any?
How does one act outside of something one determines and defines?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#205901 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Poor Topix atheists.
The absolute knowledge they are just glorified products of the universal digestive system, the knowledge they are magical minds arising from that pile, the wondrous ability of those magical minds to create and control other piles of that digestive stuff, such as growing crops and managing animals, creating devices they can even launch into space. That is heady stuff. The power, the glory!
Totally preposterous that they could be someone's chihuahua to them. It just can't be!
Don't feel too sorry for us Dave; after all, we have reality on our side. If you want to marinade in magical thinking, that's entirely up to you. But it does make your universe alot smaller. And of course, imaginary.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#205902 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, how did we lose to Seattle? WTF???
Seattle has a good team, and the home field also gave them an advantage.

Somebody has to lose....

There's little question though that the best four teams were in the semifinals.

Excellent games.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#205903 Jan 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“It is not a sin for two gay people to get married.”
Nowhere in the bible did two people of the same sex marry one another, ever, never.
Why?
Because homosexuality is and was a sin.
Nowhere in the bible did a man or a woman marry a domesticated or feral animals.
Why? Because sex with animals is and was forbidden.
Can you give me an example in God’s word where it says it’s ok for same sex marriage and marriage between people and animals?
What's wrong with you?

Fremont, CA

#205904 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Angry and bitter? Delve into the Old Testament and quote Paul. Sweet and loving? Ignore all that and focus on Jesus specifically. You truly can make the Bible say anything you like, at all.
To take another example, look at Joel Osteen and the latest trend of "gospel of prosperity". They peddle a message that wealth is the result of God's favor on a person, which DIRECTLY contradicts what Jesus said about camels passing through the eyes of needles. When you directly contradict what the supposed savior you are worshipping is supposed to have said, and said clearly, then how can you be called a Christian anymore?
Of course you can't honestly be called a Christian.

But you can be called wealthy.

Look at Osteen's smile as he peddles his snake oil.

Fremont, CA

#205905 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Fascinating.
Did they ever act outside the law, and you agreed with their finding? Which, if any?
Buck is willing to agree that the Supremes acted outside the law in Citizens United, but he won't do that until I agree they acted outside the law in separation of church and state cases.

So in effect, he has agreed.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#205906 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you gonna ignorantly sit here and think that "blame the Africans" is equal to "blame the blacks"?!
Since we are discussing AIDS and Africa...that means we are discussing sub-Saharan Africa. And this may be news to you, but Africans south of the Sahara are...black.

So in that sense, "blame the Africans" = "blame the blacks (in Africa)"

So, yes, racist.

Fremont, CA

#205907 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, speak in Redneckian: "Blame the monkeys."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#205908 Jan 21, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Think you got the moral wrong.You state God acts in a shameful way. This assumes God owes us something. What exactly do you think god owes? In creation every act contrary to the character of God is separation which brings death. Death delayed is grace. Not that you are privy to any alternate explanation since your conclusion appears to be God is unjust. The overall theme of Job has to do with clinging to God in spite of earthly circumstances and bad theological advice from either the wife or Job's comforters. All things work out for the good....and all that. We do not always see it. God is unjust with no one.
The God you are trying to defend murders innocent little babies and destroys fetuses. His murderous rampages total over 1 million, I'll be glad to list each and every one for you.

What do they say about people who attempt to defend psychopathic killers? And I'm not talking about a lawyer in a court of law.

You're looking incredibly foolish in your attempt to defend a baby killer.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#205909 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. my apology for not stating my position in a clear, concise manner ..
.. no, Christians are NOT encouraging promiscuity, just the opposite ..
.. again, I'm not an expert on the situation. My objection comes from Christian organizations condemning condoms and tying abstinence and faithfulness to funding of HIV prevention in Africa. It isn't working ..
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have anything to support that statement?
That Christian organizations are actually withholding funding for AIDS prevention if they discover someone hasn't been abstinent
This might have been a better response
"You know that does make sense. If someone was going to not use a condom due to their faith, they also wouldn't be sleeping around with strangers. It probably was a little unfair to link the spread of AIDS to Christian teachings"
But the pride just wouldn't allow for it huh?
What you clarified was an even worse accusation. I'd like to see you back it up and prove Christian ministries withhold AID Prevention funding if they discover someone has not been monogamous. Because that sounds like pure b.s.
But maybe I am wrong. I guess if it is true you will be able to show me
.. the Bush initiative ties funding to abstinence and Christian values ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3887177.s...

"It may be the most expensive effort ever mounted by a government to fight Aids internationally, but the $15bn programme comes with strings attached - notably in diverting a third of the funds to faith based groups which preach abstinence.

Its critics see this provision as thinly disguised Christian moralism which is at best paternalistic, and at worst a sure-fire way of endangering lives by failing to place sufficient emphasis on condoms."

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/0603a/copyrigh...

"Yet while decades of research support the dramatic impact of comprehensive safer sex and condom distribution programs, recipients of these abstinence grants are disallowed from promoting condom use, distributing condoms, or educating about their proper usage. In effect, this program is morality masquerading as public policy, and the public health effects could be devastating."

.. isn't saving a life more important than teaching morals ??..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205910 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever seen this website outlining the contradictions between Paul and Jesus? Pretty interesting:
http://www.voiceofjesus.org/paulvsjesus.html
Yes. There are good reasons for the contradictions. The religion of Paul had little to do with Jesus of the Gospels or Judaism.

The NT (as well as hundreds of non-canonical texts) documents the progression of the "concept" of Jesus from a failed Jewish Messiah to a resurrected pagan demigod.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205911 Jan 21, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have anything to support that statement?
That Christian organizations are actually withholding funding for AIDS prevention if they discover someone hasn't been abstinent
This might have been a better response
"You know that does make sense. If someone was going to not use a condom due to their faith, they also wouldn't be sleeping around with strangers. It probably was a little unfair to link the spread of AIDS to Christian teachings"
But the pride just wouldn't allow for it huh?
What you clarified was an even worse accusation. I'd like to see you back it up and prove Christian ministries withhold AID Prevention funding if they discover someone has not been monogamous. Because that sounds like pure b.s.
But maybe I am wrong. I guess if it is true you will be able to show me
The Catholic ban on contraception has been a detriment to society for centuries. It has had many negative effects from over-population and attendant starvation and disease to the rampant spread of all STDs not just AIDS.

That is not "blaming" the Church, I am sure their intentions were well meaning. However, the road to Hell is often paved with good intentions.

Note that contraception is not mentioned in the Bible once although condoms have existed for thousands of years.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205912 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Bennie, whether it be fiction, fantasy, or fact, any god, by definition, is deity.....
;)
Wrong. Spinoza and the Tao Te Ching prove you wrong.

You, like RR, think Christians have the only definition of "God".

You don't.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205913 Jan 21, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>....
As a >>Biblical allegory<<, Job represents, among other lessons, God's attitude toward man......
Yep. In the Book of Job, God said "STFU! You know nothing about me! You are nothing to me."

Yet here we are with all these Christians telling us they know God's mind.

You Christers are a hoot. You don't even read your own magic book.

La Veta, CO

#205914 Jan 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel too sorry for us Dave; after all, we have reality on our side. If you want to marinade in magical thinking, that's entirely up to you. But it does make your universe alot smaller. And of course, imaginary.
Relax, wilderide, I don't feel sorry for you at all. Enjoy your reality trip with your friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 24 min Into The Night 51,257
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Eagle 12 11,395
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Regolith Based Li... 458
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 3 hr Eagle 12 149
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 24,628
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Eagle 12 22,083
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 3 hr Eagle 13 1,633
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 3 hr Eagle 13 185
More from around the web