Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256652 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#205748 Jan 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Touche'! You have no illusions about that one, I see.
Oh hell no…

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205749 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, especially about accepting people for who they are.
I'm gonna use the wrong name here, but I got sick and tired of my family excising my brother, saying "Oh, that's just George..."
Most things people do are excusable, some things aren't.
My brother is a very bad guy and has done very bad things to innocent people. I CANNOT and will not EVER forgive him and for my family to excuse it way because "that's just him" is utter bullshit.
In my world, blood is not thicker than water.
But that is exactly what you do defending the Bible and your deity.
You aren't any different from your family excusing your brother.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205750 Jan 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I deny it.
I've mentioned your background--deprived of any sense of decency, deprived of education, deprived of any awareness of the world outside your little redneck world.
Don't go playing the poverty card, it's undignified.
"Some people think "hungry" is when you fight the rats for scraps in the dumpster. Real hunger is when the rats are the only thing on the menu." - ME 6:36

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#205751 Jan 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Buck claims Barton is a seeker after truth. But if so, why does Barton leave out a significant part of the quote? And it isn't just with this one quote that Buck has zeroed in on. It is with practically every quote Barton publishes. He keeps the part about Christianity and leaves out all other influences. Every time. Those are not the actions of someone seeking truth. They are the actions of someone with an agenda. In Barton's, the Christian Dominion agenda. And it isn't just limited to quote mines. From Wikipedia...
"In an article titled "Unconfirmed Quotations", Barton conceded that he has not located primary sources for eleven alleged quotes from James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and U.S. Supreme Court decisions (hence, the title of the article), but maintained that the quotes were "completely consistent" with the views of the Founders"
In other words, Barton in the past has had no qualms about merely creating quotes out of whole clothe.
You and I reject the ethics of those methods - the tendentiousness that Throckmorton referred to - and don't trust those that embrace them.

Many of us have expressed confusion about why Buck would stand beside a guy like Barton, but he does, and with passion. Maybe he disagrees that those are Barton's methods. We have criticized the ID movement on the same grounds - it's selective handling of data in an effort to make them conform to a faith based conclusion. I think that he would deny that that happens.

If he will not see it our way, and we will not see it his way, then all that can be done is to agree to disagree, and for each to continue making arguments to clarify our own thoughts better, to refine our arguments, and for the benefit of those who can find something of value in them that they hadn't considered before.

Fennario

#205753 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UpQRwcFGvyEXX
Thank you for sharing. That was a beautiful testimony to religious faith.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205754 Jan 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
It's possible.
"Adam fcked Eve, Eve fcked the kids, they all fcked each other and that's how humans were created."
-Anon
The creation of the State of West Virginia.

LOL

Fennario

#205755 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Yet another lie and a smear. Its easy to see why so many target Barton as well.
Get a load of these kids:

10 Craziest Child Preachers

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205756 Jan 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you hate education and success but academia has a long running start.
He thinks "laying on of hands" is a superior medical treatment to modern medicine. IN a Fundamentalist Christian World, the child mortality, famine, disease and life expectancy would be that of the Dark Ages.

Fennario

#205757 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't quote the full entry. You also omitted other important facts. Why would you omit important details?
You forgot to mention Thomas Nelson Publishing was bought by the secular Harper Collins.
You forgot to mention Barton's book was subsequently reviewed and then picked up by Simon & Schuster.
You also forgot to mention it was on the NY Times Bestseller List.
You also forgot to mention that when Barton submitted his manuscript to Thomas Nelson Publishing, they assigned 18 editors to scrub and fact check it, and then approved it for publication.
You also forgot to mention Thomas Nelson Publishing never contacted Barton to verify any fact called into question.
You also forgot to mention that Thomas Nelson offered not one single incidence of Barton's lack of "basic truths".
You also forgot to mention that prior to publication, Barton warned Thomas Nelson Publishing about Gay Activist Psychologist Warren Throckmorton, who poses as an evangelical Christian, his underhanded tactics, and the amount of clamor he could generate with his ties to anti-Christian hate-groups like Right Wing Watch.
I've told you before that you need to provide citations from credible sources to support claims if you want them to be accepted as factual. I will only fact check some of the things you claim.

Are there any skeptics that you can cite coming to Barton's defense? I am aware that the faith based crowd has been mobilized to defend Barton and smear Throckmorton, but I for one don't respect their values or methods, and don't trust their conclusions. Pastor Scott Lively was a prime example of that.

How about it, Buck? Are any skeptical scholars of history standing up for Barton, or only religious people? I'd read what the former have to say.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205758 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Like a three year old in a fit. Sad.
You certainly are.

Thanks once again for proving that Christianity is a religion of liars, morons and lunatics.
Your service to atheism is appreciated greatly.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205759 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know many children have no shoes? Its clear to me you don't really want an answer to what we do or why, just another that stands and accuses as your bs posting proves.
I change the world. I teach men to fish..

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205760 Jan 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
The back corner, facing the wall.
*hands RR a sparkly dunce cap*
He will call it a wizards cap and beat you.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205761 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Disease?.....
Christianity's goal is to infect people with its inhuman doctrines and leaves misery in it's wake.

Yes, you are no more than a cancer on humanity.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205762 Jan 21, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea. Just went through this with one of my wife's brother until he drank himself to death......
So you drove him to suicide. Such a loving Christian act!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205763 Jan 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How does it stay balanced with foreign biological products inserted into it?....
WTF ?

That is what it is has been doing for millions of years you moron.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#205764 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>The creation of the State of West Virginia.

LOL
You know I don't get location jokes.

*wonders off to read about West Virginia*

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205765 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I made an analogy.
Babies aren't born with a sexual identity, preferring potato chips over French fries or with a craving for a good book.
It's all learned, IMO.
If you have evidence of the elusive gay gene, by all means present it.
When did you learn to be heterosexual and why did you accept it as a choice ?

When did you choose to fall in love with a woman.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#205766 Jan 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>He will call it a wizards cap and beat you.
Beat me? LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#205767 Jan 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. You're damned right.
My immediate family comes before my extended family.
So your extended family has to wait in line for its beatings from you ?

Fennario

#205768 Jan 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I'll bypass your insistence that you know more about the founding principles than John Adams, and get straight to the point.
If Adams genuinely believed that America was founded on Christian principles rather than just throwing the church a bone - and we have the Treaty of Tripoli quote to call into question whether he credited Christianity - then he was wrong. It is quite obvious what the principles of Christianity are, what the principles of the American Constitution are, and that they fail to intersect in any meaningful way:

[1] Representative Principles of Christianity

Man is fallen and needs salvation.
Jesus is the only way to salvation
Sin leads to damnation.
God is a trinity
Repent sin
Blessed are the meek
Rest on the Sabbath
Honor your parents
Have no false gods
Man rules the wife, masters rule slaves, kings rule subjects, and the deity rules the earth

[2] Representative Principles of American Government

Limited, divided and transparent government
Secular government
Representative democracy with power held by free citizens (nobody rules anybody)
Personal rights and individual political freedom
Laissez-faire economics and free enterprise
Egalitarianism (nobody is a god over others)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 57 min karl44 10,143
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 1 hr Richardfs 86
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 18,736
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr renee 43,472
News Thousands Download Movie Proving God Exists; 'A... 4 hr Eagle 12 13
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 106
Good arguments against Christianity 4 hr Eagle 12 252
A Universe from Nothing? 6 hr Into The Night 634
More from around the web