Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205611 Jan 20, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a great benefit for you to study determinism as it applies to the human condition. I doubt you will, because it stands in conflict with most conceptualizations of "free will". You may also be too entrenched in dichotomous thinking to get very far.
I can study determinism but I can't believe it.

I don't believe in predestination.

I believe we all have free will and we are all responsible for our actions.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205612 Jan 20, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If equal relevancy was given to the gender distinction, I would have less of a problem with it.
Ideally, people wouldn't need to add those words to the framing of the crime. We're going to know the gender of the rapist and the victim. We don't need to put a label on what is obvious, that has the potential to imply things that it shouldn't.
There's the crux of the problem right there.

Someone like me says something like "male on make rape is a homosexual act" and someone like you takes it said I meant it to be derogatory.

I did not imply that homosexuality is a crime. I did not compare rape to homosexuality.

I made a cold, hard truth blanket statement.

A statement that is very true.

Male on male sex, forced, coerced, drugged or otherwise, is a homosexual act.

I shouldn't have to add in the obvious:

Male on female sex, forced, coerced, drugged or otherwise, is a heterosexual act.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#205613 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Disease?
These are some of the words I would use to describe Christianity as a disease.

Virulent
Pernicious
Insidious
Contagious
Chris Clearwater wrote:
What is the cure in your mind? Please be honest.
Rational skepticism cures it, and makes one immune.

Competing diseases can also make contraction highly unlikely. I wouldn't recommend trading one for another when a cure is available.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Some time back another poster said Christianity is like air pollution. I asked him to expand but he would not. I really would like to know.
I hope you're not too offended, given what Christianity teaches about non Christians and mankind in general.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#205614 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.
So what if there's a smidgeon of evidence? A scrap? What if there's an iota, mite, trace, wee bit, pinch, fragment or dash of evidence?
What then?
Evidence doesn't come in smidgeons and scraps, it's either evidence or not. Can you give an example of a scrap of evidence, a smidgeon?

Something is or it isn't.

The only thing I can think about that might conform to your idea was the Higgs Boson particle, they knew that it existed but couldn't prove it. Of course this would be much different from proving God, they knew it existed mathematically, just had no way to test the hypothesis.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#205615 Jan 20, 2014

Location hidden

#205616 Jan 20, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. I'm no expert on Africa but I think Christians saw countries like Uganda prime targets after colonialism collapsed and warlords flourished ..
.. by supplying much needed aid in the form of medical care and food, the larger strategy (conversion) wasn't seen on the horizon ..
.. today, because of Evangelistic prothletising, AIDS has become a major killer in some African countries ..
.. yes, onward Christian soldiers ..
The versions of Christianity that are most insistent, oppressive, and dogmatic, are usually the most successful in developing countries. Because they are so powerful, they don't have to compromise. They can stretch their legs and promote policies that will make God the happiest. The end result of that is human casualty and cruelty like that of the Crusades, The Inquisitions, and the Salem Witch Trials.

Location hidden

#205617 Jan 20, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. Dave really isn't interested in a woman's natural PH vaginal balance or the risks women take when douching ..
.. he likes the taste of vinegar ..
I don't.

I'm not opposed to introducing fruits into the equation, though.

Location hidden

#205618 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh.
Ok.
I say that Christianity is the default position.
No further argument is necessary.
That's fine by me.

I can just point to that and say, "Look what a Christian said!"
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#205619 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Disease? What is the cure in your mind? Please be honest. Some time back another poster said Christianity is like air pollution. I asked him to expand but he would not. I really would like to know.
In order to find the cure you first have to recognize the nature of the disease. It is the closed mind that is a huge part of the disease, as soon as you say Goddidit any further search is ended. As soon as you say, "I don't know" then and only then, does the journey of discovery begin. How many Christians reject the facts of evolution, who say God created all life? And with that, there is no journey to discover how life began on the planet and how it evolved into the creatures we now see.

Accepting things without evidence is dangerous, look no further than 9/11 and the terrorists who thought they were doing their Gods work. Your beliefs inform your actions.

Believing anything, for no good reason is mentally unhealthy.

Christianity, along with other religion breeds elitism, the "Club" mentality, "If you don't belong to my club you are an outcast." Religion breeds divisiveness.

It produces an egotistical mindset that says in spite of the fact that all things eventually die, planets, suns, solar systems, galaxies, I am somehow special and get to live forever. People who treat this life as a mer interlude before life eternal, do not enjoy the moments, the beauty, the majesty of life the way those of us who realize death is final.

The cure, education, extreme skepticism, trusting in science, and most important, stopping the coercion of the young unformed minds, letting them grow up to become skeptics, teach them to question everything and to take nothing on face value, or because an authority figure tells them something is so.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#205620 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I made an analogy.
Babies aren't born with a sexual identity, preferring potato chips over French fries or with a craving for a good book.
It's all learned, IMO.
If you have evidence of the elusive gay gene, by all means present it.
Why are you out of the corner?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#205621 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Ok.
I say that Christianity is the default position.
No further argument is necessary.
Hey, I tried fervent prayer a few nights ago per your instructions. Here's the results:
I thought I heard a voice behind me; when I turned around to look, god Jap slapped me and called me a tard...
Am I doing something wrong?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#205622 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.
At least you stopped calling me ignorant....
It's the thought that counts.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#205623 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't agree where you said there are no dots to connect. Do you really think many people that are quite clear in opposing the gospel of Jesus Christ and are what the bible calls workers of iniquity do it in the name of love and tolerance? Look at this very forum for countless examples of how many to claim that show none to people they disagree with. I did read part of your post wrong as I thought you said the bible didn't mention homosexuality, you were asking a question of another poster. On Matt 11:23 I see it as an example of God showing what happens and is yet to happen to people that refuse to repent of evil. Yes I agree with you that it can be forgiven, I look to my wife as living proof. I disagree that its faith, imo its people that are stubborn and will do what they wish no matter what. And while I don't pretend to know God's mind and why He does things my own thoughts are He has and is very patient towards this nation. I do think that everything has a time and place and don't wish to speak on this unless so moved by the spirit but do feel exactly that now. Let the mocking go on it matters not to me. Take care.
No problem brother

We may have been on separate pages on a few things. The dots I was saying I don't see to connect are that natural disasters are sent by God to kill people because of the sinning. I believe that sort of thing no longer takes place as judgement since the Cross will be when Christ returns. There has always been and always will be mocking. No disagreement there

Anyway, glad we talked it out

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#205624 Jan 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree, Skom.
:)

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#205625 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's the crux of the problem right there.
Someone like me says something like "male on make rape is a homosexual act" and someone like you takes it said I meant it to be derogatory.
I did not imply that homosexuality is a crime. I did not compare rape to homosexuality.
I made a cold, hard truth blanket statement.
A statement that is very true.
Male on male sex, forced, coerced, drugged or otherwise, is a homosexual act.
I shouldn't have to add in the obvious:
Male on female sex, forced, coerced, drugged or otherwise, is a heterosexual act.
Wrong again.

Location hidden

#205626 Jan 20, 2014
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
god can NOT hate anything,,,god doesnt exist
You have a right to your opinion
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
and buyBULL is irelevant to us,,as this country is not united states of Jebus..
I would say it clearly isn't irrelevant to you given your screen name

But the post I made to Ians is not because I think he follows the Bible. It was instead to try to illustrate that the Bible itself really does not have some extra emphasis against homosexuality despite some of the wording and the choice of some believers to isolate sins or verses.

I understand he is more concerned about the ideas being put forth from some groups within the church than whether or not the Bible may specifically say something or not. But I still think it is important that people see that all sin is viewed the same way in the Bible. If people in or out of the church wish to combat certain personal approaches being expressed as biblically justified approaches it is beneficial to know what is exactly written compared to what is being claimed

If you don't find anything worth discussing in the exchanges, I would think the solution would be self-evident

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#205627 Jan 20, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The burden of proof ALWAYS rest with the person making a claim,an assertion, I'm doing neither. Lack of belief is absolutely the default position, you have it to an extent, thats why you doing believe in fairies, trolls, superman, Santa, the easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, the fish Gods from Neptune, Pixie dust, and any one of a thousand other Gods that people worship.
The default position is one that denies anything for which no evidence exists. You certainly have things that you don't believe, why don't you believe them, or do you simply believe anything?
Atheism is the default position because we reject the claim, the assertion, that a God exists.
Atheism is not a lack of belief.

Nobody on this thread lacks belief. To propose it as a default position is just more atheist dishonesty.

Location hidden

#205628 Jan 20, 2014
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Stevie, how's it goin'?
Well, yes and no, I believe it would be more correct to assert growing body of Christians believe the CREATION account of Genesis is a metaphor,while some may view the flood as such , but most see it as an "historical narrative". But you are correct to separate various parts of scriptural text into genres and not interpret it in a strictly 'wooden' literalistic fashion, we've seen what happens when that occurs ;)
Just passin' through, thought I'd add a wee bit :)
Hey John!

That's a valid point as I don't want to be presumptuous in speaking for others. Some may see parts of Genesis that way and others may see it completely metaphorical or completely literal

And yeah, I agree it is always good to look at not only the Bible as a whole when seeking to understand it but also to look at each book and who it was written to and why. Definitely audience and purpose go a long way to understanding each book

Good to see ya

(T) Peace

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#205629 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.
At least you stopped calling me ignorant....
Sorry.

Of course you're ignorant.

Stupid and ignorant.

I didn't say dumb. But stupid, yes.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#205630 Jan 20, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>To believe anything based on Faith is to be gullible. Faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. Any one who believes something without evidence is not very intelligent, gullible people are an easy mark for snake oil salesmen, they will believe anything they are told, this is not how intelligent and mentally acute people operate. It is the person who is skeptical of a claim, the person who does research to explore other possibilities, this is the mentally acute and intelligent person.
You are not strong, you are weak and gullible, unable to accept reality, rather hide behind the comfort zone of skydaddy holding your hand because you have failed to learn how to deal with adversity without this outside agent.
There is no God and no Satan, you're a child who's mind has been poisoned, I do pity you!!
Atheism is faith, same as theism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Joe Momma 52,506
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min Hedonist Heretic 24,962
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 12 min Eagle 12 256
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 min Thinking 22,234
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 16 min Eagle 12 11,475
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 29 min Hedonist Heretic 1,688
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 36 min Eagle 12 562
More from around the web