Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258047 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205322 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
The Lord tells us to love our enemies, to do good to those that curse you.....
Correct.

Why do you refuse to do that ?

I am living proof you don't.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#205323 Jan 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you having relations with your first cousin?
A male first cousin?
If you're gentle, it won't hurt him.
Again I have to thank you for your display of higher ethics and an overeducated mind that has no wisdom.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205324 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course his ex-wife hates him, it's understandable. He went all gay on her. She knows him more intimately than you ever could. There's probably something deeper in her hatred of him, a deeper reason I mean.
I haven't spoken with my brother in about 7 years now, and I plan to never speak to him again. It isn't about homosexuality in this case and it surely isn't my Christianity. People have their reasons for disowning family.
Catcher1 wrote:
Not in my world.
Not in your world what?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#205325 Jan 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The history textbook publishers who used him as a consultant and the legislatures who used him as a witness scores some credibility.
Some argument you have going there. You're funny.
Tell me, is a circular argument infinite in length - like a circular donut?
Bwaha.
And yet you still don't name this "expert". What are you hiding?

And I will point out that just publishing textbooks does not necessarily make one credible. There are quite a number of fundamentalist "textbooks" out there that are filled with academic garbage. Cf. Of Pandas and People.

BTW...I never said what you are implying I said in that last question. Dishonest of you, much.

But then, I have come to expect nothing but dishonesty from you. I see it in nearly every post.

Safety Harbor, FL

#205326 Jan 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
Why do you refuse to do that ?
I am living proof you don't.
Like I said its the hardest thing. You lie about me with most of your postings and its not easy to let it go. Truth is this is one area where I do question my faith because I haven't been able to do it (yet) I do hope that changes.

#205327 Jan 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Throckmorton is your witness, Dingle Ball.
You can't submit his testimony, then plead the Fifth for him.
Who do you think you are - Lois Lerner?
You strike me more as a Kato Kailin.
Throckmorton waw ONE person I cited. You have ignored the others except by merely claiming them to be liars. But then, you call everyone that disagrees with you a liar...and oh so often don't give any evidence of lies.

The times you have given such evidence...well...it is something only you would consider evidence.

Safety Harbor, FL

#205328 Jan 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I may just clean yours, if you're not careful.
I see. Guess the words of advise you gave Bob concerning threats are out the window. Do as you say, not as you do guy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205329 Jan 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Are you having relations with your first cousin?
A male first cousin?
If you're gentle, it won't hurt him.
Spoken from experience, it would seem...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205330 Jan 20, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. ya, hit the kid with a 2x4 ..
That's too hard to get a good grip on.

A baseball bat is the preferred tool.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#205331 Jan 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Whooo!
A super aggressive and macho Catcher his morning.
Did you catch an extra strong dose of testerone recently?
Yeah, Dave.

Testerone.

Safety Harbor, FL

#205332 Jan 20, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>One can look back thru my entire history on topix, and among other things, you would see that I do not make it a practice to comment on other's personal stories, and in fact make it a point to applaud them for the courage of doing so. In general, I would recommend others not to share personal info, because all too often it is thrown back at them as weapons. This is sad, because such behavior truncates true open discussion and understanding.
In this case, Bilgewater does not just relate a personal story, but uses it as leaping off point to justify religious bigotry and ideological pig-headedness. He uses it as irrefutable evidence for the debate between "choice vs. hard-wired". In short, he transforms his personal anecdote into the basis for a pseudo-authoritative sociopolitical stance designed to end the discussion Therefore it goes beyond personal insight and perspective, and thus is fair game for rebuttal and skepticism.
You, like countless others cry about bigotry and say nothing and often engage in it because you'll use almost anything in an agenda. Your behavior does serve a purpose those as many can see it. Just carry on with the name calling, the lies and the smears Hip. It proves that your words are worthless.

#205333 Jan 20, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. thanks for the info ..
.. if this bill passes, it will be challenged because it infringes on access to public services ..
.. besides, it's all so silly. You can't turn the clock back ..
From what I have read, it doesn't infringe on PUBLIC services. However, it would allow people that offend the owner's religious sensibilities to be denied service, to be denied housing, to be denied a job...the list can go on and on.

As written, a Christian could buy an existing business, then fire all the Muslims, gays and atheists that are now working for him...for no other reason that he is a Christian and he doesn't like them.

Actually, it might be able to infringe on public services as well, now that I think about it. I am not sure what it would say about a Protestant DMV employ telling a Catholic she couldn't give him a driver's license since Catholics offend her religion.

It would be a muddled mess, that is for sure.

That people like Yarbrough think that keeping them from discriminating against others is somehow religion oppression of THEM...well, the fundamentalist mind works in strange ways.

Redondo Beach, CA

#205334 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course his ex-wife hates him, it's understandable. He went all gay on her. She knows him more intimately than you ever could. There's probably something deeper in her hatred of him, a deeper reason I mean.
I haven't spoken with my brother in about 7 years now, and I plan to never speak to him again. It isn't about homosexuality in this case and it surely isn't my Christianity. People have their reasons for disowning family.
<quoted text>
Not in your world what?
In my world there are no reasons for ever disowning family.

It's unthinkable to any of us.

Redondo Beach, CA

#205335 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. Guess the words of advise you gave Bob concerning threats are out the window. Do as you say, not as you do guy.
Bob who?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205336 Jan 20, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. homosexuality is an identity, not a behavior. That shoots your argument to pieces ..
Kinda....

I see sexual orientation as a reference to a person's sense of identity based on their attractions and related behaviors.

Biological sex (M/F) is an identity.

Age is an identity.

Sexual orientation or preference? I dunno bout that...

Redondo Beach, CA

#205337 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's too hard to get a good grip on.
A baseball bat is the preferred tool.
A club is what you have used in the past.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205338 Jan 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
{EDITED}
Barton
Barton
Barton
Barton
Barton
Barton's
Barton
Barton
Enough of the Barton already.

Just agree to disagree.

#205339 Jan 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I've just about had it.
If you guys don't end this asinine Barton debate, I think I just might shoot myself.
OK. I seem to have convinced you. And I will never convince Buck. But then my posts were never really intended to convince the unconvicible Buck. They have made him say some really stupid things...like "exact" quotes. LOL.

Redondo Beach, CA

#205340 Jan 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I have read, it doesn't infringe on PUBLIC services. However, it would allow people that offend the owner's religious sensibilities to be denied service, to be denied housing, to be denied a job...the list can go on and on.
As written, a Christian could buy an existing business, then fire all the Muslims, gays and atheists that are now working for him...for no other reason that he is a Christian and he doesn't like them.
Actually, it might be able to infringe on public services as well, now that I think about it. I am not sure what it would say about a Protestant DMV employ telling a Catholic she couldn't give him a driver's license since Catholics offend her religion.
It would be a muddled mess, that is for sure.
That people like Yarbrough think that keeping them from discriminating against others is somehow religion oppression of THEM...well, the fundamentalist mind works in strange ways.
The law would promptly be found to be unconstitutional.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#205341 Jan 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
In my world there are no reasons for ever disowning family.
It's unthinkable to any of us.
No reasons at all?!

I find that hard to believe.

That's cuz I don't believe unconditional love exists.

There's always a condition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 11 min IB DaMann 94
bigger fish to fry (Jul '11) 2 hr Suspicious Packag... 2
What are the best arguments against religion? 2 hr Richardfs 8
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 5 hr Richardfs 5,721
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Brian_G 23,592
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr scientia potentia... 48,864
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 hr Mintz4004 21,889
More from around the web