Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204240 Jan 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live there get out, walk away, default because that State is in serious trouble. It’s overdue for a massive disaster.
California is Nineveh in the Bible. Except Californians as a whole won’t turn their hearts to God. I don’t want to see people suffer. But when people become cold and indifferent to God it can turn out bad.
I just don’t believe God is pleased with all this gay marriage and godlessness that’s going on in California. Oh well my State is not without it’s problems. 2014 is going to be an interesting year.
God isn't please with most of New England either, I guess. Same sex marriage is allowed in a lot of those states. Look out Oklahoma !!!

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#204241 Jan 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
What I think is going on in the minds of most Christians is...
1) They have been taught the Bible is good.
2) They have been taught the Constitution is good.
3) The Bible came first.
Therefore they conclude the Constitution must have come from Biblical principles.
However, when pressed, they can never come up with verses from the Bible supporting this assertion. For example, there is nothing in the Bible whatsoever about freedom of religion. The Bible is all about believe or die (or spend eternity in Hell). And above all, the Bible mentions nothing about democracy. The Bible tells us to obey kings. The Bible is not about individual rights.
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"... from the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#204242 Jan 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We'll see each other in hell.
You bring a fan, I'll provide the Evian.
And I'll bring a few shrimps to throw on the barbie.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#204243 Jan 17, 2014
ChrisClearwater wrote:
<quoted text>My car gets 36 mpg.
My truck has no emission control equipment. 350 with headers and straight pipes. No mufflers. Makes it hard to sneak up on people.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#204244 Jan 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We'll see each other in hell.
You bring a fan, I'll provide the Evian.
I'll bring Tide. He said he was fan.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#204246 Jan 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
As for me feeling nihilistic, you don't understand us at all. My life never felt less artificial than when I was near the end of my Christian walk and realized that there was no god - that I had been lied to, My life as an unbeliever has been the authentic and fulfilling one.
lightbeamrider wrote:
No reason not to believe you. Only note your time will expire. Your little happy world can be flipped to disaster in a heartbeat.
Yeah, Nelson keeps posting that as well. And I have seen it from many other believers in the past as well, usually after pointing out how happy one can be without religion. Your reaction was to focus on that ending.

I don't see any benefit to either of us for you to be taught to think like that. I see the cost as more yours than mine, but there is a cost to both of us. Don't you think that you should be happy for anybody that can find happiness themselves, and not redirecting the discussion to misfortune?

Fennario

#204248 Jan 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
http://youtu.be/vJNqep77vBw
One of the best renditions of that song ever.
Martina McBride.
When I lived in rural Missouri, the only talk radio I could receive in my car was a conservative station that gave me a steady dose of Sean Hannity every afternoon on my drive home. You may know that that begins with Martina McBride's Independence Day, which also gave me chills, but not the way she probably intended. The edited version that opened Hannity's show was mostly just the chorus, which goes like this

Let freedom ring, let the white dove sing
Let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning
Let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong
Roll the stone away, let the guilty pay it's Independence Day

What's chilling? The implied threat. Rather than merely celebrating her freedom, she's telling us twice that bad things are coming - a day of reckoning when whoever it is that she means she by "the guilty" will pay. That dovetails nicely into the comment I just made to lightbeamrider about the darkness of the message being promulgated to and through him.

Anyway, maybe you'd like a chuckle, Here's MAD TV's parody of Martina McBride and the culture she represents:

Fennario

#204249 Jan 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I[Woe is you is] my boilerplate response to Clearwater's gloomy, pessimistic, misanthropic posts.
LOL.

Did you look at the link I just posted spoofing that kind of thinking? These are lyrics from one of the songs:

God is watching you
God is watching you
And he's waiting to get even
He's got a bullet for Billy
A tumor for Bob
An axe in the head for Marie
He's got cancer for Alice
Gonorrhea for Sue
I wonder what he's got for you.

Woe are they! This is the woe that Clearwater, Nelson, and lightbeamrider like to tell us about.

Fennario

#204250 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Proverbs says there are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him, homosexuality or homosexuals isn't one of them
Yes, and the Ten Commandments condemns adultery, not homosexuality, as the sexual behavior highest on the list. Nevertheless, it is homosexuals that the church targets and scapegoats while merely giving lip service to adulterers. That is further evidence that the bible isn't the principle source of church church teaching, and why I scoff when told that Jesus teaches love. He's not the one teaching most beleivers.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You must understand that while I think sins are real (including extra-martial sex, be it hetero- or homo-), I do not aspire to hatred or persecution of gay people and I find it detestable what churches like the WBC do.
I don't think that you feel hatred when you repeat what you have been taught. But I do think that the message is damaging. Duckman and Canada man probably also feel no hatred. It's better that none of you feel hatred, but it's not good enough. It doesn't make the message OK.

Anyway, you have ample evidence that many others consider those ideas hate speech. You can choose to realize that and adapt accordingly, or ignore it and focus on your rights to continue expressing your sacred beliefs without regard for the consequences to others or to the church. You can't control the public's perception of all of this except by controlling what you say.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I guaran-damn-tee you that I'd be standing side by side with you, tearing up their "God hates fags" signs and giving them a kick ass education of what the Bible actually says and what God actually hates.
I still don't understand why you consider WBC qualitatively different from the others. I'm sure that they would tell you that they have no hate either. After all, the signs say "God hates fags," not "I hate fags."

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#204251 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't please with most of New England either, I guess. Same sex marriage is allowed in a lot of those states. Look out Oklahoma !!!
God has been throwing tornadoes at us since the get-go. In fact, after passing the amendment banning gay marriage, he hit Moore with the largest tornado ever (in terms of wind speed) and then hit it again with one of monster size (about a mile across). Clearly God hates Oklahoma whether they allow gays to marry or not.

#204252 Jan 18, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"... from the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797
http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm
Oh, you know this. I know this.

Heck, even Buck knows this but refuses to admit it. After all, admitting it would contradict Barton and Buck can't do that.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#204253 Jan 18, 2014
<quoted text>
When I lived in rural Missouri, the only talk radio I could receive in my car was a conservative station that gave me a steady dose of Sean Hannity every afternoon on my drive home. You may know that that begins with Martina McBride's Independence Day, which also gave me chills, but not the way she probably intended. The edited version that opened Hannity's show was mostly just the chorus, which goes like this
Let freedom ring, let the white dove sing
Let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning
Let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong
Roll the stone away, let the guilty pay it's Independence Day
What's chilling? The implied threat. Rather than merely celebrating her freedom, she's telling us twice that bad things are coming - a day of reckoning when whoever it is that she means she by "the guilty" will pay. That dovetails nicely into the comment I just made to lightbeamrider about the darkness of the message being promulgated to and through him.
Anyway, maybe you'd like a chuckle, Here's MAD TV's parody of Martina McBride and the culture she represents:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Y6bz7zUPPL4XX
Let not your heart be troubled

:-)

Fennario

#204254 Jan 18, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Well, I'm probably checking out early today as I'm travelling this weekend...but I'll check back in Tues probably.
Bon voyage, and see you then.
wilderide wrote:
So have you guys solved all the worlds problems yet?
No, but we have learned and had fun.

#204255 Jan 18, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, and the Ten Commandments condemns adultery, not homosexuality, as the sexual behavior highest on the list. Nevertheless, it is homosexuals that the church targets and scapegoats while merely giving lip service to adulterers. That is further evidence that the bible isn't the principle source of church church teaching, and why I scoff when told that Jesus teaches love. He's not the one teaching most beleivers.
Heck, look at how so many congregations react when their pastor is caught dipping his wick. They ignore it.

Well, most of the time. My brother's marriage broke up when his wife had an affair with their pastor. At least in that case, the pastor got the boot and ended up having to find a different line of work.

But that seems to be an exception, especially among charismatic Christians.
<quoted text>
I don't think that you feel hatred when you repeat what you have been taught. But I do think that the message is damaging. Duckman and Canada man probably also feel no hatred. It's better that none of you feel hatred, but it's not good enough. It doesn't make the message OK.
Anyway, you have ample evidence that many others consider those ideas hate speech. You can choose to realize that and adapt accordingly, or ignore it and focus on your rights to continue expressing your sacred beliefs without regard for the consequences to others or to the church. You can't control the public's perception of all of this except by controlling what you say.
<quoted text>
I still don't understand why you consider WBC qualitatively different from the others. I'm sure that they would tell you that they have no hate either. After all, the signs say "God hates fags," not "I hate fags."
I would say that it is merely a difference in degree, and not that much of a difference in some cases. And few churches seem willing to come right out and condemn WBC for what they do. At least that is the way it is where I live. Gays are not appreciated. The state amended its constitution to ban gay marriage. And that ban just got declared unconstitutional in federal court.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#204256 Jan 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
God has been throwing tornadoes at us since the get-go. In fact, after passing the amendment banning gay marriage, he hit Moore with the largest tornado ever (in terms of wind speed) and then hit it again with one of monster size (about a mile across). Clearly God hates Oklahoma whether they allow gays to marry or not.
Even before that he sent his disciple Timothy McVeigh. God clearly hates Oklahoma.

What's he gonna do now that the SSM ban has been overturned.

Better get your water wings on. No time to build an ark.

Fennario

#204257 Jan 18, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> wrong , theres a difference. they should tolerate no "sin in the camp" The other sinners you talk about . which is many, are not trying to make what they do ok and acceptable. No man mocks God. Everyone will sow and reap.
I think that what you accomplish with this kind of intolerant and judgmental posting - "tolerate no sin" and "everybody will sow and reap" - is to illustrate exactly what it is about Christian doctrine that is so objectionable. It teaches the wrong kind of thinking, thinking that leads to predictable and undesirable outcomes.

Your reaction to what we call a problem is to redouble your resolve. This illustrates why we can't expect the faithful to relent or adapt. It means that if we want to do something about this problem, it has to be to by addressing those not yet committed to it, and helping them to see how undesirable the church is - not by trying to appeal to the believers. We need to focus on shrinking the church, not working with it.

If you could be more reasonable, we could talk and maybe find common ground. But this fixation on sin and judgment supported by a sense of transcendent righteousness is pretty refractory to that. Instead of searching for ways to make the church more welcome, you give us reason to want to see it weakened. That can't be good for the church.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#204258 Jan 18, 2014
mark

Fennario

#204259 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Back in March, you pounced all over your "fact" that churches spent only 6% on charity. So what? You never took into account what percentage is spent on overhead. That church I'm talking about probably didn't less than 6% on charity, it just couldn't afford it.
Why should the American taxpayer subsidize these franchises with tax exempt status as if they were charities?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Because they don't charge for their services, be it regular church, counseling, community activities, whatever.
But those sermons and that counseling target many of those taxpayers. Shining a light on that fact and the fact that the churches do so little for the poor will weaken public support for those tax breaks. That's fine too, but it doesn't have to be that way. Given that we have the tools to spread that message, especially the Internet, wouldn't it be better to adapt proactively? If you can't, you force our hand to oppose the church, since acquiescence isn't an option.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#204260 Jan 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you know this. I know this.
Heck, even Buck knows this but refuses to admit it. After all, admitting it would contradict Barton and Buck can't do that.
A Skippy who know your history better than he does. LOL

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#204261 Jan 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Full on!

Our High Court overturned the first gay marriages here back in December. Has it affected the bushfires (US: forest fires) this summer?

No way! First the Blue Mountains went up, now Victoria and South Australia are copping them. Same deal, maybe?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-17/victori...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 hr Dogen 83,150
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 9 hr Dogen 2,575
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web