Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203784 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Divinity Surgeon wrote, "I think christians subscribe to the philosophies you are describing. "

Those are several of what I call the Very Bad Ideas promulgated by the church. Here's my complete list to date. a work inprogress:

[1] Christian misanthropy (man does mostly harm)
[2] Christian antiscientism (don't believe or trust scientists)
[3] Christian anti-intellectualism (the wise are fools)
[4] Christian misogyny (the war on reproductive freedom)
[5] Christian atheophobia (unbelievers are morally unfit and infested with demons)
[6] Christian homophobia
[7] Christian infantilizing (self-actualization is arrogant pride, magical thinking is appropriate, submission and obedience are virtues)
[8] Christian sexual guilt (shame on you for having reproductive instincts!)
[9] Christian psychological terrorism (threats of eternal torture beginning in childhood)
[10] Christian alienation ("the world" is bad, you don't belong there)
[11] Christian self-loathing (you are spirit trapped in vile flesh)
[12] Christian easy self-forgiveness
[13] Christian anhedonia (pleasure is bad)
[14] Christian slave ethics (be meek, submit)
[15] Christian exceptionalism (the sense of self-goodness and other-badness that assumes that when A Christian says Merry Christmas, it’s an act of good cheer by an angel, but when a non-Christian says Happy Holidays, he waging a war on Christmas by a demon.)

Contrast this with what the church says its message is: love God, love one another, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Where does it actually teach any of those?
Where does the church teach love? It doesn't.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203785 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.
Yet in another post ar ar claimed to have been born 'this way'.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203786 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote:
Curious.
In what way do you think I'm attempting to modify your behavior?

Curiouser and curiouser.

I didn't know that was your behavior.

[QUOTE] May I have my Legal Tender without religious mottoes on? "

You use American money over there?

[QUOTE] May my daughter have the Pledge of Allegiance read at her without a spurious deity invoked? "

They don't utter the American Pledge of Allegiance in Ireland. So yes.

[QUOTE] May the US Government start each workday with an Imam saying "Allahu Akhbar"?"

The US Government? Specifically which part?
Florida is in Ireland?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203787 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote:

The WBC represents the WBC, not Christianity.

Uh...

So Timothy Mcveigh represents all atheists?

You can't have one opinion without the other.
There you go, attempting thought modification, telling folks what opinions they can or can't have.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203788 Jan 16, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>How very godbot of you. I do love it when you post nice racist comments and insults, your god must be so proud of you.

Anyway I thought you said you were leaving or was that just another lie?
It was a lie. I kept my end of drongo's proposed bargain but I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203790 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I know what YOU mean by "the church". But I'm telling you that there is no "the church", no one Christian doctrine.

Every church will teach slightly (or sometimes severely, as in WBC) than the next.

Here, this is a basic Christian doctrine test.

Don't cheat, see how you do.

http://carm.org/theological-test
Apologist drivel.

Church = Body of "Believers"

You really don't care what the jesus character taught do you?

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

#203791 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...
I think...
Because all Muslims pray Christian prayers, right?
No, you just share the same attitude.

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

#203792 Jan 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to be introduced to...
The Buck Experience.
get in line.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203793 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Oh. Then out of respect, I'll revisit your post.

[QUOTE] She's an atheist, too - nothing to do with me, she came up with it all by herself."

I'm sure she did....
You said yourself that as a kid you didn't really believe it. All kids are like that until indoctrination sets in.

Left to think for themselves, they work out pretty early on that religion is as made up as the smurfs.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#203794 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Exhibit A: BenAdam
The prosecution tests.
I never said I deserved to be loved by my daughter, rather I understand why she hates me.

Once again you prove to be a POS. You're such a perfect Christian.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#203795 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Aryan Jesus is not a good read.
Maybe being the hard-headed atheist you are, you'll read it as instructions for moral living...
You never read it you lying scumbag.

You are a perfect Christian; a liar, an idiot and a lunatic.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203796 Jan 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does the church teach love? It doesn't.
Something to think about:

Say What? Atheist Says Africa Needs More Christian Influence

“But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I’ve been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I’ve been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.”

“Christianity, post-Reformation and post-Luther, with its teaching of a direct, personal, two-way link between the individual and God, unmediated by the collective, and unsubordinate to any other human being, smashes straight through the philosphical/spiritual framework I’ve just described. It offers something to hold on to to those anxious to cast off a crushing tribal groupthink. That is why and how it liberates.”

“Removing Christian evangelism from the African equation may leave the continent at the mercy of a malign fusion of Nike, the witch doctor, the mobile phone and the machete.”

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203798 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

400 character limit.
Here's a start.
http://accurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2013/01/annu...
For reasons I don't care to disclose, I don't want to engage in extensive discussion of the litigations.
Bongo will be very upset with the windfall to hard-working attorneys, hahaha.
Let me know what you think.
That's, uh. Interesting.

Honestly, I had no idea.

But you said there were many in California, that link only show a handful. There were many around the country but not that many here.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Never mind.

What exactly are they bickering about?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203799 Jan 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Something to think about:

Say What? Atheist Says Africa Needs More Christian Influence

“But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I’ve been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I’ve been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.”

“Christianity, post-Reformation and post-Luther, with its teaching of a direct, personal, two-way link between the individual and God, unmediated by the collective, and unsubordinate to any other human being, smashes straight through the philosphical/spiritual framework I’ve just described. It offers something to hold on to to those anxious to cast off a crushing tribal groupthink. That is why and how it liberates.”

“Removing Christian evangelism from the African equation may leave the continent at the mercy of a malign fusion of Nike, the witch doctor, the mobile phone and the machete.”

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...
Do they need more christian influence so that more 'witches' can be hunted down and murdered?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203800 Jan 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Something to think about:

Say What? Atheist Says Africa Needs More Christian Influence

“But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I’ve been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I’ve been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.”

“Christianity, post-Reformation and post-Luther, with its teaching of a direct, personal, two-way link between the individual and God, unmediated by the collective, and unsubordinate to any other human being, smashes straight through the philosphical/spiritual framework I’ve just described. It offers something to hold on to to those anxious to cast off a crushing tribal groupthink. That is why and how it liberates.”

“Removing Christian evangelism from the African equation may leave the continent at the mercy of a malign fusion of Nike, the witch doctor, the mobile phone and the machete.”

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/say-what-atheis...
Save your apologist blogs for someone gullible.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203801 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

My experience with my son is very similar to mac's with his daughter. Of course, my son has known that I don't believe in the supernatural, but I never did anything purposely to "indoctrinate" him, or to give him the impression his views should mirror mine.
I know, you've already posted that and I've told you I think you're a good papa.

My experience is similar, too. I do what I can not to preach to my kids. I've never forced them to church like my dad did me.

Just yesterday my son went to the library, like he does a few times a week. He asked me what he should look into while he's there. In light of our discussions here, I suggested he look into the court ruling in 1962 regarding school prayer and what has happened to America since. I offered no opinion on it, just that. He had a varied opinion when he got home and we discussed it openly. Suffice if to say, we didn't agree on everything. You would've been proud of him.
I always stressed the importance of being a critical thinker. Watching your "progress" here makes me very, very proud and satisfied that, unlike you, he doesn't face a "learning curve" as an adult.
Don't be a dick. You couldn't even build your own deck. If you tried, there would've been a huge learning curve for you, too. No one is above a learning curve, your son included.

I would've loved to be a fly on the wall for that "build".
BTW, have you had an opportunity to look over the material I posted (website) on the Episcopal Church litigation? You have been strangely silent on it.
I was doing stuff. Drive home from work, stopped at the bank, went grocery shopping, unloaded the groceries, played with Tyson, went out back and played with my cock and gave him a treat and fresh water, etc. I ain't gonna play on Topix while I'm driving, you know......

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203802 Jan 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Florida is in Ireland?
You've clearly never seen an RR globe....

FYI - I didn't know he was in Florida.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203803 Jan 16, 2014
Francine_Smith wrote:
No, you just share the same attitude.
HA HA!

That's a negative, sweet cheeks.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203804 Jan 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
You said yourself that as a kid you didn't really believe it. All kids are like that until indoctrination sets in.
Left to think for themselves, they work out pretty early on that religion is as made up as the smurfs.
Some do, sure. Not all. Not nearly all.

You can thank God for your free will to believe or not to believe.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203805 Jan 16, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
I never said I deserved to be loved by my daughter, rather I understand why she hates me.
I understand why she hates you too. It ain't hard to figure out.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 7 hr superwilly 181
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr Into The Night 95,399
Why creation? 19 hr Elganned 60
Atheism saved me Wed Amused 27
man Jun 18 blacklagoon 3 1
The atheists mind Jun 15 Elganned 63
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50