Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203721 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The downfall of American society is due to all, not any one group or the other ... There's a very good chance that the justices that ruled prayer unconstitutional were Christian, or at least some of them were.
Your position seems to be morphing. Good. It wasn't long ago that it appeared that your argument was that America went to hell in a hand basket because of the loss of school prayer.

Now please demonstrate how secularism or irreligiosity contributed at all to America's problem. You've already claimed that loss of prayer leads to loss of respect for authority, although you have not demonstrated, just blamed the failures of your own Christian upbringing on secularism as if that were your childhood philosophy.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203722 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
My apologies.
I meant to say Satan started the fire.
See? When I make a mistake, I own up to it.
Oh.

The, uh........nonexistent Satan?

Fennario

#203724 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What year was I college age?
I'd say 1990 give or take.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203725 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Baloney.
mmmm..........baloney
Homosexuality is a huge issue today in several of the major protestant denominations.
Which ones?
The Episcopal Church, for instance, has undergone a major rift over the issue,
Which Episcopal church?

Which one?

There is no "the" Episcopal church, there are many Episcopal churches.
with a bunch of parishes here in California alone leaving the Episcopal Church because it is relaxing its stance on homosexuality.
How many is a bunch? 4? 17? 31?

No matter what number you pick, it isn't going to be a majority of them.

Then, you'll have to demonstrate, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they're leaving California because of California's stance on homosexuality and not that they're just sick and tired of California altogether.
The parishes have joined the Anglican Church (with the bishop of Uganda as their leader for chrissakes), which is maintaining an anti-homosexuality position.
A bishop in Africa is the least of SoCal churches?!

WTF?
Why do I know of all this?
Google.
Because of the lawsuits that have been filed, and are being battled, over the real estate of the parishes--who owns the land and building, the parish or the national church?
And of course, the intra-church battles are being fought in the civil courts. I can tell you ALL about it; I'm very well acquainted with the litigations.
Some ironies here?
Then by all means, tells all about it. I want church names and dates, specifically.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#203726 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I can answer all that in one sentence. You're smart enough to understand but I find it highly unlikely that you will. It might undermine your thinking about Christianity and this elusive 'the church' you're always referring to but never demonstrating. Until now. You've pointed directly at A church. Congratulations. Finally.
Ready?
The Westboro Baptist Church is not Christianity.
The bolder the boulder, the faster it rolls downhill.

Can we get a slow clap for this guy?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#203727 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious.
In what way do you think I'm attempting to modify your behavior?
May I put up a Satanist statue next to the Christian one on the front lawn of the Courthouse?

May I have my Legal Tender without religious mottoes on?

May my daughter have the Pledge of Allegiance read at her without a spurious deity invoked?

May the US Government start each workday with an Imam saying "Allahu Akhbar"?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203728 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I'd say 1990 give or take.
Pretty close, I'm impressed.

At that time, UCR average tutu on rate was over $100,000.

http://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/californi...

At that point in my life, there was no way I could afford college and life at the sane time.

The Borderland of Sol

#203729 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The WBC represents the WBC, not Christianity.
"A difference that makes nae difference isna a difference at all." - Scottish proverb.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203731 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
mmmm..........baloney
<quoted text>
Which ones?
<quoted text>
Which Episcopal church?
Which one?
There is no "the" Episcopal church, there are many Episcopal churches.
<quoted text>
How many is a bunch? 4? 17? 31?
No matter what number you pick, it isn't going to be a majority of them.
Then, you'll have to demonstrate, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they're leaving California because of California's stance on homosexuality and not that they're just sick and tired of California altogether.
<quoted text>
A bishop in Africa is the least of SoCal churches?!
WTF?
<quoted text>
Google.
<quoted text>
Then by all means, tells all about it. I want church names and dates, specifically.
You need to learn to read.

Nobody is leaving California. A number of parishes are leaving the Episcopal Church and morphing into the Anglican Church, because the Episcopal Church (the national church) has become more tolerant of homosexuals, and is allowing homosexuals to be pastors.

Google the issue. You'll find all the information you need.

Big bucks in the litigations, by the way.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203732 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Curious.
macumazahn wrote:
May I put up a Satanist statue next to the Christian one on the front lawn of the Courthouse?
Curiouser and curiouser.

I didn't know that was your behavior.
You use American money over there?
May my daughter have the Pledge of Allegiance read at her without a spurious deity invoked?
They don't utter the American Pledge of Allegiance in Ireland. So yes.
The US Government? Specifically which part?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203733 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

The WBC represents the WBC, not Christianity.
macumazahn wrote:
"A difference that makes nae difference isna a difference at all." - Scottish proverb.
Uh...

So Timothy Mcveigh represents all atheists?

You can't have one opinion without the other.

Fennario

#203734 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
you clump all churches and individual pastors into one doctrine,'the church'. That's a categorical error on your part.
I have defined what I mean by "the church" several times on this thread alone, and the definition explicitly contradicts your words above. I realize how pointless it is to do it again for your benefit, but giving three examples from the last two months from threads you participate on virtually daily will illustrate nicely how difficult it is to teach you, and why I usually just give up:

The church is the sum of a variety of abstract and concrete things including people, buildings, books, and an ideology - a history, a mythology, rituals, a doctrine, a tradition, a set of methods, a jargon, a metaphysical system, an epistemic system, and an ethical system.[Tuesday Jan 7]
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

"the church, by which I mean an abstraction that transcends individual people and buildings, and includes the traditions, beliefs, values and methods that have persisted over centuries as people and buildings have come and gone." [Nov 28, 2013]
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

"As I use the term, "the church" means more than "the churches." It is the set of institutions, values, traditions and the like that transcends the individual buildings and congregants." [Sep 16, 2013]
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

I could undoubtedly find a dozen more from those two threads. Here's one addressed to you from last May at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... which actually contains two links of others defining the church as well as my own definition.

Here's another from last February at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

This goes on and on and on and on and on and ...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203735 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Again (fuck), I've already told you that I didn't say secularism or irreligiosity contributed to America's problems.
Again (fuck), I've also commented on the "Sunday Christians" being part of the problem.
It's not up to me to repeat myself to you as infinitum until you grasp what I'm saying.
I need your cooperation in order for this conversation to move forward.
IANS - correction. I have to rephrase the first sentence.

"I've already told you that I didn't say secularism or irreligiosity contributed to [all of] America's problems."

The Borderland of Sol

#203736 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Curious.
<quoted text>
Curiouser and curiouser.
I didn't know that was your behavior.
<quoted text>
You use American money over there?
<quoted text>
They don't utter the American Pledge of Allegiance in Ireland. So yes.
<quoted text>
The US Government? Specifically which part?
Erm, I've lived in the US for 30-some years. My daughter was born here.

She's an atheist, too - nothing to do with me, she came up with it all by herself.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203737 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to learn to read.
Nobody is leaving California. A number of parishes are leaving the Episcopal Church and morphing into the Anglican Church, because the Episcopal Church (the national church) has become more tolerant of homosexuals, and is allowing homosexuals to be pastors.
Google the issue. You'll find all the information you need.
Big bucks in the litigations, by the way.
Yeah, today in NYC 1800 plaintiffs split 10 million for having their 1st amendment rights violated, the lawyers got 7.6 million, lol

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203738 Jan 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The bolder the boulder, the faster it rolls downhill.
Can we get a slow clap for this guy?
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGu...

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#203739 Jan 16, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>May I put up a Satanist statue next to the Christian one on the front lawn of the Courthouse?
No.

That's the nation we are.

You may kiss our asses.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#203740 Jan 16, 2014
River Tam wrote:
People don't drink enough water in TV shows and movies.

It sets a bad example for America's children.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#203741 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Those are several of what I call the Very Bad Ideas promulgated by the church. Here's my complete list to date. a work inprogress:
[1] Christian misanthropy (man does mostly harm)
[2] Christian antiscientism (don't believe or trust scientists)
[3] Christian anti-intellectualism (the wise are fools)
[4] Christian misogyny (the war on reproductive freedom)
[5] Christian atheophobia (unbelievers are morally unfit and infested with demons)
[6] Christian homophobia
[7] Christian infantilizing (self-actualization is arrogant pride, magical thinking is appropriate, submission and obedience are virtues)
[8] Christian sexual guilt (shame on you for having reproductive instincts!)
[9] Christian psychological terrorism (threats of eternal torture beginning in childhood)
[10] Christian alienation ("the world" is bad, you don't belong there)
[11] Christian self-loathing (you are spirit trapped in vile flesh)
[12] Christian easy self-forgiveness
[13] Christian anhedonia (pleasure is bad)
[14] Christian slave ethics (be meek, submit)
[15] Christian exceptionalism (the sense of self-goodness and other-badness that assumes that when A Christian says Merry Christmas, itÂ’s an act of good cheer by an angel, but when a non-Christian says Happy Holidays, he waging a war on Christmas by a demon.)
Contrast this with what the church says its message is: love God, love one another, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Where does it actually teach any of those?
Says more about your prejudice more than it does the church.
Richardfs

Australia

#203742 Jan 16, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Are you going to drag me down to your aboriginal level and beat me with experience? eh stinky?
How very godbot of you. I do love it when you post nice racist comments and insults, your god must be so proud of you.

Anyway I thought you said you were leaving or was that just another lie?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Dogen 80,075
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 4 hr Fit2Serve 164
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
what science will NEVER be able to prove 14 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 14 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 15 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web