Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247230 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203662 Jan 16, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Done:
"Was Jesus a Nazi? During the Third Reich, German Protestant theologians, motivated by racism and tapping into traditional Christian anti-Semitism, redefined Jesus as an Aryan and Christianity as a religion at war with Judaism. In 1939, these theologians established the Institute for the Study and Eradication of Jewish Influence on German Religious Life. In The Aryan Jesus, Susannah Heschel shows that during the Third Reich, the Institute became the most important propaganda organ of German Protestantism, exerting a widespread influence and producing a nazified Christianity that placed anti-Semitism at its theological center.
Based on years of archival research, The Aryan Jesus examines the membership and activities of this controversial theological organization. With headquarters in Eisenach, the Institute sponsored propaganda conferences throughout the Nazi Reich and published books defaming Judaism, including a dejudaized version of the New Testament and a catechism proclaiming Jesus as the savior of the Aryans. Institute members--professors of theology, bishops, and pastors--viewed their efforts as a vital support for Hitler's war against the Jews. Heschel looks in particular at Walter Grundmann, the Institute's director and a professor of the New Testament at the University of Jena. Grundmann and his colleagues formed a community of like-minded Nazi Christians who remained active and continued to support each other in Germany's postwar years.
The Aryan Jesus raises vital questions about Christianity's recent past and the ambivalent place of Judaism in Christian thought."
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8820.html
"Princeton is full of atheist liars!" in 3... 2... 1...
No, you're the liar.

Christianity is not based on the book, "The Aryan Jesus".

Don't try again.

Just roll on the floor, laughing......

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203663 Jan 16, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Some fathers do not deserve to be loved.
Exhibit A: BenAdam

The prosecution tests.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203664 Jan 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I only see a couple of terms that could cause you8 confusion so I expend them for the hard of understanding
Moron, I have nothing to say about Goebbels, but of course that does not stop you trying to introduce irrelevancies does it?
I base my knowledge on FACT. not babble best excuses and chicken sh|t sloping shoulders. The belt buckle is just one of many thousands of such pointers but free to lie if it makes you feel better about your lies
Tell me were you not the one who said Female Genital Mutilation was bad because it was a Muslim practice (despite being shown evidence that is was cultural and practice by christianity too) and that Male Genital Mutilation was ok because Jews did it (despite the fact that it’s (circumcision is) a Muslim practice too)
You base your knowledge of Hitler on partial fact.

You accept anything that leads to believe he was a Christian and conveniently ignore everything else.

There's much more evidence showing that Hitler was a paganist and a social Darwinist.

The only thing you see is his propaganda and public, political speeches. That's PARTIAL FACT.

You fail.

Again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203665 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
To all Christians:
[1] In what way is passing out flyers to the public that say that "homosexuality is an abomination" different from the Westboro Baptist Church walking around with signs saying "God hates fags"?
[2] How is saying that all homosexuals are an abomination different from saying that all Chrtistians being disgusting and horrible? How many of you have objected to that kind of characterization?
[3] How many believers have found anything to criticize in the man who is spreading what I agree is hate speech - speech that demonizes an entire group of people? I have read repeatedly that many of you object to such speech being limited, but how many have objected to the message that man and the Westboro Baptist Church spread? None that I have read. It makes me wonder what it is that Christians object to about the WBC. If it's not the message, it must be the fact that they like to deliver it at military funerals.
[4] Why should any of us respect or think kindly about an institution that offers so little respect? Why should we value your right to express yourselves when this is how some of you do it, and virtually none of you object? I think you do great harm to gay to people.
[5] What about the Golden Rule? What about Jesus saying love one another? When will we actually see that manifested rather than merely hearing it claimed?
As I have said repeatedly, morals are taught by example, not by words. Words either serve to reinforce the example, or when they don't, add the lesson of hypocrisy to the one taught by example. This behavior teaches a blind, irrational, hatred of an entire class of people for no acceptable reason. And calling it love just adds to the repulsive nature of it.
How many of you have said that there is no such thing as Christian homophobia? How many of you have claimed that yours is a religion of love? How many of you have called objection to the church bigotry? I call it a reaction to bigotry. If supporting one means thwarting the other, who shall I side with - gay people or Christians? My conscience is about what the moral choice is there, and I am not alone.
I really don't expect anything to change even though it is obviously in the church's interest to rein this kind of thing in. It appears either unable to do so, or uninterested in doing so. I expect the church and a huge fraction of its followers to continue exactly like this - just like Clearwater, who is livid that anybody would dare try to rein it in for his church.
And rightly so, I expect the church to become increasingly disrespected by the culture at large because of all of this, especially with increasing numbers of unbelievers pointing this out.
Think about it. Or don't.
I can answer all that in one sentence. You're smart enough to understand but I find it highly unlikely that you will. It might undermine your thinking about Christianity and this elusive 'the church' you're always referring to but never demonstrating. Until now. You've pointed directly at A church. Congratulations. Finally.

Ready?

The Westboro Baptist Church is not Christianity.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203666 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I can answer all that in one sentence. You're smart enough to understand but I find it highly unlikely that you will. It might undermine your thinking about Christianity and this elusive 'the church' you're always referring to but never demonstrating. Until now. You've pointed directly at A church. Congratulations. Finally.

Ready?

The Westboro Baptist Church is not Christianity.
Yes. It is. Baptists are in fact christians.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#203667 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Before I'll entertain believing you, demonstrate how Aryanism and focused racism is a Christian principal.
<quoted text>
Uh-huh....
I ask for a Christian principal and you fire back with a definition of racism and a Jewish example.
I'll ask you again, demonstrate how Aryanism and focused racism is a Christian principal.
Get that done, then we can discuss your belief...
Does christianity not take its tenets form babble? Wow you live and learn

The OT that was selectively COPIED from the Jewish god book. Or are you saying that the OT does not exist because it does not fit your version of christianity

Or are you just being selective (as you have done on several occasions before) and say that Deuteronomy 7 is not relevant to christianity because you don’t want it to be?

http://www.thestar.com/life/2013/10/20/religi...

http://www.policymic.com/articles/29397/relig...

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/0...

#203668 Jan 16, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Done:
"Was Jesus a Nazi? During the Third Reich, German Protestant theologians, motivated by racism and tapping into traditional Christian anti-Semitism, redefined Jesus as an Aryan and Christianity as a religion at war with Judaism. In 1939, these theologians established the Institute for the Study and Eradication of Jewish Influence on German Religious Life. In The Aryan Jesus, Susannah Heschel shows that during the Third Reich, the Institute became the most important propaganda organ of German Protestantism, exerting a widespread influence and producing a nazified Christianity that placed anti-Semitism at its theological center.
Based on years of archival research, The Aryan Jesus examines the membership and activities of this controversial theological organization. With headquarters in Eisenach, the Institute sponsored propaganda conferences throughout the Nazi Reich and published books defaming Judaism, including a dejudaized version of the New Testament and a catechism proclaiming Jesus as the savior of the Aryans. Institute members--professors of theology, bishops, and pastors--viewed their efforts as a vital support for Hitler's war against the Jews. Heschel looks in particular at Walter Grundmann, the Institute's director and a professor of the New Testament at the University of Jena. Grundmann and his colleagues formed a community of like-minded Nazi Christians who remained active and continued to support each other in Germany's postwar years.
The Aryan Jesus raises vital questions about Christianity's recent past and the ambivalent place of Judaism in Christian thought."
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8820.html
"Princeton is full of atheist liars!" in 3... 2... 1...
I had not read that, thanks

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203669 Jan 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Yes. It is. Baptists are in fact christians.
The WBC represents the WBC, not Christianity.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#203670 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jew god book using the Jew god magic?
Yeah, that's it.

Christinemc^2 says the Jews are proud of such labels.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203671 Jan 16, 2014
Amazingly, two Jehovah's Witnesses rang my bell just as I was posting the above. They began by making small talk. When I saw the Watchtowers they were carrying, I asked, "Is this a religious visit?" so that we could cut to the chase. One answered, "Is there something wrong with that?" which I found unexpectedly defensive and even a little accusatory.

The idea of inviting them into read the post and discuss it flashed through my mind, but I really didn't see the point. I really don't like the confrontation any more, and knew that they would not only not benefit, but was concerned that I would have made a couple of enemies, which is much more dangerous to do in meat space than over the Internet. After all, they saw my dogs, and it is not unheard of for people in this culture to throw poisoned meat over a wall.

Some of you Christians may think that I was being ridiculous having such ideas, but I disagree. I really don't need for any of my neighbors to view me as an abomination, nor to think that their god thought that about me.

So I just answered that "I have no need for that," thanked them with a smile, and returned to my computer. This is the place to have that conversation, not face to face, and why I find this medium so powerful: I can express myself frankly here. Even protected speech isn't always free.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203672 Jan 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Does christianity not take its tenets form babble? Wow you live and learn
The OT that was selectively COPIED from the Jewish god book. Or are you saying that the OT does not exist because it does not fit your version of christianity
Or are you just being selective (as you have done on several occasions before) and say that Deuteronomy 7 is not relevant to christianity because you don’t want it to be?
http://www.thestar.com/life/2013/10/20/religi...
http://www.policymic.com/articles/29397/relig...
http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/0...
In Deuteronomy, Moses outlines the arrangement for Israel when settled in the Promised Land.

It is read in a past tense. It is meant to be read as history, not as instructions.

As an arrogant, hard-headed atheist, I doubt you'll understand that.

I'll repeat it.

It is meant to be read as history, not as instructions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203673 Jan 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
I had not read that, thanks
The Aryan Jesus is not a good read.

Maybe being the hard-headed atheist you are, you'll read it as instructions for moral living...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203674 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>The WBC represents the WBC, not Christianity.
All of christendom represents christianity to the world.

No matter how much you cry, stomp your feet and try to deny it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203675 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Amazingly, two Jehovah's Witnesses rang my bell just as I was posting the above. They began by making small talk. When I saw the Watchtowers they were carrying, I asked, "Is this a religious visit?" so that we could cut to the chase. One answered, "Is there something wrong with that?" which I found unexpectedly defensive and even a little accusatory.
The idea of inviting them into read the post and discuss it flashed through my mind, but I really didn't see the point. I really don't like the confrontation any more, and knew that they would not only not benefit, but was concerned that I would have made a couple of enemies, which is much more dangerous to do in meat space than over the Internet. After all, they saw my dogs, and it is not unheard of for people in this culture to throw poisoned meat over a wall.
Some of you Christians may think that I was being ridiculous having such ideas, but I disagree. I really don't need for any of my neighbors to view me as an abomination, nor to think that their god thought that about me.
So I just answered that "I have no need for that," thanked them with a smile, and returned to my computer. This is the place to have that conversation, not face to face, and why I find this medium so powerful: I can express myself frankly here. Even protected speech isn't always free.
That was God rap, rap, rapping at your chamber door.

That was a sign.

That was an opportunity to have a face to face conversation without the use of Google or copy/paste techniques.

Go back and get them, don't be a chicken poo-poo bear.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203676 Jan 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
All of christendom represents christianity to the world.
Ok then. Pol Pot represents all atheists.

#203677 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You base your knowledge of Hitler on partial fact.
You accept anything that leads to believe he was a Christian and conveniently ignore everything else.
There's much more evidence showing that Hitler was a paganist and a social Darwinist.
The only thing you see is his propaganda and public, political speeches. That's PARTIAL FACT.
You fail.
Again.
Nope I base my knowledge of Hitler on known, documented fact as taught in history classes around the world (except in you neck of the woods). I do not let babble belt rhetoric (lies), rewritten history with a christian slant and supermarket tabloid hype stories influence me.

Which is what you and buck and many, many other American godbots do.

There you go, I think they call it a buckism. WTF has a belief Darwinism got to do with being christian? Darwin studied theology, he never denounced his religion and never became a non believer of any sort. The entire catholic church (who make up the majority of christianity) is quite happy to accept Darwinism,

You are mixing your philosophies here to bad effect

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203678 Jan 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's it.
And the christards?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#203679 Jan 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not here to write as you want me to write but as I want to write, no matter how much it upsets you
I'm all for that. Spread your bigotry far and wide. Doesn't bother me.

If you were a person of reason or intellect, I might have a problem with it.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203680 Jan 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ok then. Pol Pot represents all atheists.

Whatever you need to tell yourself is fine with me.

Try this argument again when those like Pol Pot are the majority.

#203681 Jan 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's it.
Well the Jewish guy I share my bacon sandwiches with on a Saturday morning after Synagogue has no objection to being known as a Jew

And nor do the other I know. You racism is rather disturbing don’t you think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 39 min Who 12,435
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr JustASkeptic 47,755
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr Uncle Sam 96
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 2 hr True Christian wi... 2
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 7 hr thetruth 16
Atheism and Evidence of the Exodus Thu Amused 25
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu thetruth 2,352
More from around the web