Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255880 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#203415 Jan 15, 2014
Still unanswered;

There is a known type of radiation that does cause glowing. However, we are talking about an unknown type of radiation. It emanates from an Alien who not only warns of the deadly danger, but provides three types of shielding for a partial viewing. Not only this, but every time Moses returns to the presence of the Alien, the affect is repeated. What explains these elements that we only now understand thousands of years later, in a purported fiction book?

Add to this the account of the Alien hovering over the Israelites with smoke and fire visible.

But the most profound, is that the 'Law' given by the Alien did exactly as he predicted, something we see with distinction to this day.

Smile.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#203416 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. public schools are becoming more secular ??..
.. when were they not secular ??..
<quoted text>
.. the teaching of God is a parental responsibility, not the role of public education ..
.. at issue is what SCOTUS calls 'viewpoint discrimination'(discrimination based on personal beliefs)..
.. CATCHER, you're on ..
I hesitate to stoop to Redneck's level of discussion.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203417 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. do you think it wrong to call a Black person 'Monkey'??..

.. how about calling a Jew 'Hooknose'??..

.. if you answer 'yes' to the above, is it appropriate to call a homosexual a 'perverted abomination'??..
...

WOOOAAHHHH....

This is one if those eye-opening posts.

Intriguing.

Thank you.
Richardfs

Australia

#203418 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. again, the primary purpose of a public education is to educate students so they can be contribute to society. To attain that goal, prayer is not necessary ..
Please remember you posting to the '2nd brightest' person here (according to 'butt crack' or was that 'drongo')

So you are going to have to repeat yourself again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again and it still wont get.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203419 Jan 15, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, which version of the bibull or for that matter which version of godbot.
However using your 'logic' neither the Mafia nor the IRA have anything to be ashamed of, that is very godbot of you.
But either way it makes no difference all you shown is not that you don't think very much but you don't think at all.
Actually, youre a fool if you think that criminal orgs. believe. Believers are obedient. A CINO is fooling himself. There are various reasons for the moniker.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#203420 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course all are wrong however having said that I still don't want to ever see the day the government here tells us what is acceptable speech. Its rare that in most of these forums you don't come across 'christards and other examples of names some use to describe people of faith. Still I'll take that over any government having a say. Btw I think everyone is evil, Christians included. Its why we are told to put on Christ daily (war of the flesh vs spirit) and our works are like filthy rags.
I, Catcher, am not evil.

I wasn't born evil, and I haven't become evil.

I know me well.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203421 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hesitate to stoop to Redneck's level of discussion.
But when you do, its fun to watch him beat you with experience.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203422 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Public schools require the whole community, we all have a role.
I think we need to understand that we're not making products, we are creating conditions for kids to grow and develop. Schools aren't just about literacy and numeracy.
Is it the role of the public education system to teach how to make a shoebox diorama? How to limbo? How to play basketball? Why Obama is a genius? How to color in the lines?
Is it the role of the public education system how to properly put a condom on a phallic fruit?!
Do you object to any of those or is it just prayer you object to?
<quoted text>
"Viewpoint discrimination occurs when laws, regulations, or actions attack or unfairly discriminate against a specific individual or group because of the personal views of the individual or group, whether those views concern religious beliefs, political beliefs, or intellectual or academic ideas."
That viewpoint cannot depend on the content of the speaker or the viewpoint of the speaker.
I think the key word there is "unfairly". Who gets to decide that? I think it's unfair that the school board can override the Constitution and tell a child that he can't pray at the podium.
Viewpoint discrimination would only be applicable if the school board agreed to the Christian prayer but denied another student to give an atheist speech.
That is something I'd agree with.
WTH is an atheist speech? Are those the ones that don't mention a deity?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203423 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in school, it doesn't.
He also can't carry a shotgun in school. He also has no right to privacy in school. He can be searched at will. His freedom of speech is limited. If you don't like that, don't forget to vote.
Why do you assume a school board or teacher has the right to overrule the State or the Constitution?

"No holding of this Court suggests that a school can persuade or compel a student to participate in a religious exercise.... The First Amendment's Religion Clauses mean that religious beliefs and religious expressions are too precious to be either proscribed or prescribed by the State."
-Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

The courts did not rule that students can't pray. They only said that the government has no business composing a prayer for students to recite. That's all. Nothing more.

The kid can pray when and where he wants.
Richardfs

Australia

#203424 Jan 15, 2014
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
when did you become atheist Duckyboy,
then how could you know?
Oh! Oh! Oh! can I answer that one..... because christINSANITY is EVIL!!!

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#203425 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
...
WOOOAAHHHH....
This is one if those eye-opening posts.
Intriguing.
Thank you.
Oh, really?

Anybody here remember who it was that called black people "monkeys"?

I do.

Here are a couple of clues: It was a high school dropout from Riverside.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203426 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I do, Redneck.
In contempt.
I think me shivers just timbered.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203427 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Actually she said, "moral principles and a conscious that tells you what is right and wrong are default human conditions".
I'm not sure i can agree with the first part of that statement, as i think "morality" is a subjective and cultural code of behavior, but I can completely agree with the second part.
As soon as self-awareness starts to dawn, all have the sense (conscience) that feels "right/wrong" when we commit an act and, even in the most primitive way, can assess the result of that act, It's through that observance coupled with teaching that we actually learn our culture's moral code. In one of the example's given, the infant doesn't inherently know not to pull the dog's ear, but after once doing so, and observing the pain caused, knows that something ain't right about what happened.
I'll grant you, kids do show differing capacities to listen to, or ignore, the message received, but (assuming a "normal" child with no organic deficiencies) everyone hears that inborn voice.
I'm actually surprised believers aren't grabbing onto it and calling it evidence of God.
Well I would say even how much one listens to their 'conscience' depends on external factors

Identifying what society considers right and wrong can also be very different obviously than what Ab individual believes is right and wrong. And still, there is no inherent repentance IMO. That also is learned as someone is socialized and taught first to understand empathy, then to exhibit it.

What is one of the things we teach children right away when trying to emphasize this? We tell them "you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you right?" It's through lessons like these that a child is able to understand and care about someone else's pain because they have their own experiences to gauge it by

But what if someone is raised in an environment where the only way to get what you want is at the expense of others? Or worse are encouraged to do so? Or raised in a loveless environment where empathy does not come naturally? Do you think someone who kills someone else for their tennis shoes doesn't know it is wrong? They simply do not care

There is a huge difference between what the natural reaction of a moral person would be and claiming the natural reaction of someone will be the moral one as default.

HL once showed an article of a boy that was found in the wilderness to show morality is inherent except the article didn't actually address that issue at all. But point being this is not the first time the claim has been made morality is inherent or the default reaction of being human. I maintain it is neither inherent as a child or as an adult. It is still learned. How we react will show the morality of a person but their reaction can be vastly different and their remorse, depending on external factors

(T) Peace

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203428 Jan 15, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Still unanswered;
There is a known type of radiation that does cause glowing. However, we are talking about an unknown type of radiation. It emanates from an Alien who not only warns of the deadly danger, but provides three types of shielding for a partial viewing. Not only this, but every time Moses returns to the presence of the Alien, the affect is repeated. What explains these elements that we only now understand thousands of years later, in a purported fiction book?
Add to this the account of the Alien hovering over the Israelites with smoke and fire visible.
But the most profound, is that the 'Law' given by the Alien did exactly as he predicted, something we see with distinction to this day.
Smile.
Answered multiple times.

Now "ignored" is the word you're looking for.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#203429 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I'm glad those days are over.
Amen!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#203430 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Actually she said, "moral principles and a conscious that tells you what is right and wrong are default human conditions".
I'm not sure i can agree with the first part of that statement, as i think "morality" is a subjective and cultural code of behavior, but I can completely agree with the second part.
As soon as self-awareness starts to dawn, all have the sense (conscience) that feels "right/wrong" when we commit an act and, even in the most primitive way, can assess the result of that act, It's through that observance coupled with teaching that we actually learn our culture's moral code. In one of the example's given, the infant doesn't inherently know not to pull the dog's ear, but after once doing so, and observing the pain caused, knows that something ain't right about what happened.
I'll grant you, kids do show differing capacities to listen to, or ignore, the message received, but (assuming a "normal" child with no organic deficiencies) everyone hears that inborn voice.
I'm actually surprised believers aren't grabbing onto it and calling it evidence of God.
.. my thoughts expressed so well. Thank you ..

.. like yourself, I was amazed that believers don't latch onto my claims concerning the conscious since it can easily be interpreted as a Divine gift ..

.. yes, imprinting is very important in establishing a moral code ..

.. sociopaths do not feel any kind of remorse or sympathy towards other human beings, they are void of a conscious. Is a sociopath normal? I think not. Therefore, the conscious is the genetic default position ..
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203431 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it is. It's why there are no witch burnings any more. Do you understand that the church never gave up that option - it was taken from them. Isn't that enough?
You claim there are 40k sects of Christianity. Some crazed people burned witchs, in violation of Christianity. You attempt to color all Christianity as witch murderers. I suppose that's because of honesty.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#203432 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume a school board or teacher has the right to overrule the State or the Constitution?
"No holding of this Court suggests that a school can persuade or compel a student to participate in a religious exercise.... The First Amendment's Religion Clauses mean that religious beliefs and religious expressions are too precious to be either proscribed or prescribed by the State."
-Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy
The courts did not rule that students can't pray. They only said that the government has no business composing a prayer for students to recite. That's all. Nothing more.
The kid can pray when and where he wants.
OMG, no!!!!!!!!!!
Go back to school.
Please.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203433 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well I would say even how much one listens to their 'conscience' depends on external factors
Identifying what society considers right and wrong can also be very different obviously than what Ab individual believes is right and wrong. And still, there is no inherent repentance IMO. That also is learned as someone is socialized and taught first to understand empathy, then to exhibit it.
What is one of the things we teach children right away when trying to emphasize this? We tell them "you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you right?" It's through lessons like these that a child is able to understand and care about someone else's pain because they have their own experiences to gauge it by
But what if someone is raised in an environment where the only way to get what you want is at the expense of others? Or worse are encouraged to do so? Or raised in a loveless environment where empathy does not come naturally? Do you think someone who kills someone else for their tennis shoes doesn't know it is wrong? They simply do not care
There is a huge difference between what the natural reaction of a moral person would be and claiming the natural reaction of someone will be the moral one as default.
HL once showed an article of a boy that was found in the wilderness to show morality is inherent except the article didn't actually address that issue at all. But point being this is not the first time the claim has been made morality is inherent or the default reaction of being human. I maintain it is neither inherent as a child or as an adult. It is still learned. How we react will show the morality of a person but their reaction can be vastly different and their remorse, depending on external factors
(T) Peace
uhhh....ok. Did we disagree anywhere in here?

In your first sentence you refer to an innate conscience, which we may or may not adhere to. i asserted the same, in different words.

I think I said morality is learned. I think you said morality is learned.

Alrighty then. Got that settled. Next!

;)

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#203434 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Answered multiple times.
Now "ignored" is the word you're looking for.
Hardly.

Not yet.

Smirk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min One way or another 40,172
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 17 min ChristineM 20,575
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Into The Night 15,730
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 6 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,624
A Universe from Nothing? 14 hr Reason Personified 18
Good arguments against Christianity Fri superwilly 90
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... Fri Into The Night 175
More from around the web