Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258038 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203317 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
And among the primary plaintiffs were Jewish orgs, not "secular humanists".
The problem was in prescribing the exact verbiage, which constitutes state-sponsored endorsement. Secondly, making it an official school prayer time, which again signifies official religious endorsement.
Beyond that, I would argue that it is in fact coercive. Any event held in an ostensibly authoritarian environment such as a school, with the added peer pressure universal at this age, is inherently coercive. Even the appearance of non-conformity brings down the wrath of teacher and student alike.
In any case NO one is barred from voluntary prayer of their own conception. Civil authorities just can't set aside an official "prayer time", much less write the prayer.
It's only "bullshit" to you because you would like to see a Christian prayer, which is bullshit to me because you've admitted not praying as a child, in school or out, and to harboring some of the very sentiments that are at root of the moral decline you bemoan. I hate the way the word hypocrite gets thrown around so easily here, but Riv, man, you are doing it without even blushing. You are a walking contradiction.
Hopefully you are at least consistent. What was your stand on the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque"? Were you so willing to stand for everyone's freedom of religious expression, or just Christian?
I never said I didn't pray as a child. I said I think I didn't pray enough.

There's a big difference there. This, I think, is why you're having such a hard time debating. I'll say "I didn't pray enough as a child" and you'll read "I never prayed as a child".

That's your fault, not mine.

As far as the ground zero mosque, I think it's a terrible idea to have a Muslim church that close to ground zero. It's heartless and it shows no compassion whatsoever.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203318 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are slow, Catcher.
As public schools got more secular they also turned out more mediocre product.
Buck would probably agree.
You didn't see that coming, huh?
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/ca-teacher-fo...
Lovely example of your philosophy and activism.
The problems of education is multifold including the breakdown of the family unit. Bad teachers are allowed to teach and good teachers realizing their potential opt out for better paying employment.

It may be a little different in each town in America. But in my little town the school district is ran by Coaches. The emphasis is not on academics but athletics.

We all know football will only take a student so far down the field. Later in life the students are going to realize they were short changed when they try to compete for jobs.

The way around all this mess is good private schools that yield a better product. I’m fortunate that all my grandchildren attend private schools. Where the emphasis is not on sports but academics.

I like kid sports and my grandkids play sports in the summer time when school is out. It’s a lot of fun but academics is what is going to carry them through life.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203319 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're comparing praying in school to bringing a shotgun to school.

Does that mean you find them both equally dangerous?
I think the combination of delusions, firearms and children is very dangerous.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203320 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Being able to pray in their own homes, their own churches, isn't enough for them. They have to make their religion a public display, and if possible to force everyone else to join in.
Yes, so it seems. The faithful should understand that it is that aspect of religion that we resist - the part that overflows into our world. Personal religion is fine. Every person is completely free to worship whatever they like however they like within the confines of the law and their private spheres. Very few of us seem to have any problem with that.

The rest, though, not so much. Public. political and social religion is not OK with unbelievers, and I suspect that our goal will be to draw that line and insist that it be respected by everybody. Certainly it is fair to limit religion to the religious.

Who thinks that's unfair?
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
What we definitely see in RR is the lack of tolerance and empathy that so many Christians have. Many Christian love to paint people outside their group as "The Other", and the Other is evil in their minds. It is simple tribalism at its worst.
That's core Christian doctrine: you're with the god or ag'in' him.
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
And what so many of them don't realize is what they are doing was condemned by Jesus. He condemned public prayers. He condemned public displays of religion. Remember the Pharisees. He considered them sanctimonious assholes. And these Christians are of the same stripe.
Jesus has little say in it.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#203321 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. in what way ??..
When you self loathe your scarve collection suffers..........

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203322 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. public schools are becoming more secular ??..
.. when were they not secular ??..
When teachers and students prayed to God every morning.

When teachers and students read from the Bible for 10 minutes each day.

When a Christmas play was actually about Christ.

When Christianity flourished.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203323 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
LOL

I'm on my phone on the mobile version so I can't see them. But I think every room on Top Stories has lurkers that are obsessed with them. A few of the more crazy posters are notorious for it. Some people can post all day or several days and you won't see a single one. It's funny how they sometimes announce the arrival of a lunatic.
Normally when they get done with the icons is when they will post

Topix attracts some weird people!
It certainly does.

I don't notice anything about icons until some of your buddies start crying about them.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203324 Jan 15, 2014
Rolling Chunder wrote:
<quoted text>Or the lesbian trapped in a Christian at the Clearwater house.
That poor woman, religious people are so cruel.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203325 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools can't prevent a student from praying. That is unconstitutional.
I can't believe this........

You were just arguing to argue then.....?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203326 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Its ironic also. The last people IMO that should be dictating and legislating morality is the courts or government. Politicians are notorious hypocrites IMO. Not all but certainly enough. And a handful of people making these decisions for everyone is scary. At least a ballot initiative would allow the people a voice. But nothing is worth trading in our rights for IMO.
The rap music was a good example. And in the beginning the industry actually had a lot of attempted censorship to deal with. Fortunately people understood the bigger issue even though opponents tried to use fear tactics (an angry black man) to get people to agree to censorship.
But the subjectivity is exactly why we can't give up these rights. If the government or the majority can impose its feelings over universal rights then nothing would ever stay protected. It's why we set these rules and say no matter who is in power or what other people think or when it is throughout the course of time, some things are supposed to always take precedence. The right to privacy and free speech being at the top of the list.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
~Voltaire
(T) Peace
I listen to radio more than anything. A few days ago a woman called in saying she was in her 70s and she felt we are losing freedom. And I agree with you on the patriot act that in my thinking was a huge path to where we are today. It should serve as a lesson.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203327 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. prior to six months, it's all instinct ..
Probably.

But that doesn't explain why a none month old or a nine year old would try to hurt their family pet.

Again I ask, where's the default condition if some kids do good and others do bad?
christINSANITY is EVIL

Fergus, Canada

#203328 Jan 15, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheism can’t console a grief stricken heart.
But it can dishearten and offer hopelessness instead.
when did you become atheist Duckyboy,

then how could you know?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203329 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
They're both breaking the rules set up by the school district. Why would one be worse than the other?
Because the school districts cannot prevent a constitutionally protected right, prayer.

And to impose a punishment for praying is absurd, especially your idea of revoking his diploma for it.

But that's exactly what the secularists want - punish people for praying. Y'all suck.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203330 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Schools can't prevent a student from praying. That is unconstitutional.
Then why aren't all the lil tykes praying to better your country?

Are the children just lazy or aren't they being taught to pray at home?

***for the sake of the children, I hope they're ignoring prayer and sniggering about worshiping fictional characters, at least when their parents aren't forcing them (sometimes violently) to stay awake and attentive in church***

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203331 Jan 15, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:

I think the combination of delusions, firearms and children is very dangerous.
Them never buy a gun.

You'd fit your three criteria very badly.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203332 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools can't prevent a student from praying. That is unconstitutional.
If you say so, OK then.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203333 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> After morning sex and being served a fine cup of Columbian theres nothing like perusing the mornings offering of pseudo cogent posts. Although they are well articulated and interesting and bear some truth they are just not necessarily so. Our arcane deity certainly frustrates the wisdom of the wise. My faith is strengthened by what I see here daily.
I think that you could make a separate fortune cookie fortune out of each of those sentences. I could connect you with a sweat shop in Beijing of you are interested in a job.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203334 Jan 15, 2014
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
when did you become atheist Duckyboy,
then how could you know?
I lived with Atheism.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203335 Jan 15, 2014
Religion can and should be studied as part of Geography. Because it is a part of so many cultures across the world. Studying Religion is not an endorsement of Religion.

But when it comes to School Districts and Schools having organized prayer. I support secular schools but not schools that deny a individual student right to religious freedom.
For example if the Captain of the football team wants to say a prayer before the game. He should be allowed to do so. As long as it’s him and not the Coach.

If a Muslim student wants to wear a Hijab, they should be allowed to do so. If a student wears a necklace with a cross on it, that should be fine too.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203336 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is, folks. Mr. Clearwater (god bless him--who gets it?) believes "every man is evil."
Who else here subscribes to this pathetic philosophy?
Genesis 8:21 Btw, thanks to God for blessing me and my house. You clearly mean your words for evil but God means it for good and His glory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Regolith Based Li... 48,387
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... 13 hr Scaritual 14
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 17 hr Amused 4,906
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 17 hr Amused 21,861
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
News Delta Schools Will Get Satanic Coloring Books o... (Apr '16) Nov 29 Amused 7
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) Nov 28 hpcaban 441
More from around the web