Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203151 Jan 15, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
No RR - I'm not reaching, just stating the obvious.
You fail to look at all the possibilities which include specifics. Thus, you then conclude that your way is accurate and others are not.
Again, you fail at understanding that this is not always the case.
You just did that yourself, when you again incorrectly asserted that I believe in Satan.

"Since you believe in Satan how is that if not in a physical form?"

Look to self....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203152 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Your premise is rife with falsehoods.
Mandated school prayer has NEVER in the history of the nation been universal. Mandated devotionals were common in some Southern and Eastern states, nearly non-existent in the Midwest and West.
Challenges to an official mandated prayer go back to the 19th century. The Ohio SC held in 1870 that schools could not hold mandatory prayer. Roman Catholics filed suit in the mid-18th century to prohibit a mandated Protestant prayer.
Voluntary prayer and religious groups are not only NOT prohibited, their rights are and have been been protected by....who? You'll never guess. The dreaded ACLU. I can spam the page with the filings. In the few anecdotal instances you may cite, the determination is whether the prayer is coercive in nature. For example, why should a Jew have to sit through a Christian prayer at a graduation ceremony? Why should a Protestant have to sit through a Catholic prayer? Why should an atheist have to sit through any of them? That is coercive in nature and an imposition of one religion on all present.
One of the primary reasons that public religious observance have gotten a bad name is precisely because of the resort to outright falsehoods such as those you keep repeating ad nauseum.
Again, we find you to be part of the very problem you moan about.
Why should I have to sit through a graduation ceremony without a prayer being said?

"That's not fair!"

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#203153 Jan 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh right so it does not matter how thinks happened just so long as you can continue to believe in Jew magic
Jew magic?

I see. You hate Jews, too.

Wait a minute. Are you the idiot who went on a retarded splunge about circumcision being child abuse?

Your "Jew" talk makes sense now.

Location hidden

#203154 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Just for shins and griggles, I'm going to propose that unfettered free-market capitalism is responsible for far more of the decline you've cited.
Capitalism has no inherent humanity - it is an economic system that rewards "Immoral" behavior while penalizing "moral" behavior.
"It has always seemed strange to me... the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second."
John Steinbeck
I'm not saying that there's a better system. Capitalism has all the >potential< to increase shared prosperity, and showed signs of doing so for about 30 years in the last century. But we couldn't let that go on forever - shareholders wouldn't stand for it. Thus, in the same timeframe you cited, we've seen the middle class erode, opportunity fly away, and cynical acquisitiveness replace traditional "Christian values". It's been so successful that today if the Pope cites values taken straight from Jesus, he is denounced on certain mass media outlets as a "commie". American Christians by and large have bought into the health and wealth doctrine promulgated by mega-churches. Some have become amazingly dismissive of Jesus' own words and example.
The Christian church has not only failed in it's leadership role, it has allowed it's very soul to be subverted to an economic system that has no inherent humanity.
Total bull shit.

Capitalism has created more humanitarian aid, more charity, and lifted more people out of poverty than any other system in history, and more than any religion, including the Pope's religion.

The giving of wealth the Pope likes is possible because of capitalism.

And no, the Pope's comments did not come from Jesus. Unless Karl Marx is Jesus.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203155 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Economics, home or otherwise, is valuable to students. Basketball teams and choirs are after school activities.
Yes but IANS asserted that public education is to learn literacy and numeracy.

Home economics, basketball and choir are neither of those but are taught in public school nonetheless.

There are many thing valuable that the public school system teaches our kids, literacy and numeracy are only two small pieces of that puzzle.

Location hidden

#203156 Jan 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, What he knows is propaganda, super market tabloid hype and mythology stories all washed down with incredulity, hypocrisy and lies. He probably would not know a fact if one sat on his face and farted, and if he did recognise it as a fact he would deny it out of hand if it a non believer in his god ideas doing the farting.
A man after your own heart eh?
I hope he's not a Jew.

Then you would really unleash on him.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203157 Jan 15, 2014
Here's a question for anybody; is her name Madeline Murray O'Hair or O'Hare? The Internet is full of both.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203158 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Voluntary, non-sectarian prayer was ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.
I showed you the ruling. They did not declare it unconstitutional for coercion. They banned it because it violated the "Wall of Separation" by its presence.
That big, giant, invisible, nonexistent wall they're always yammering about?

"In God We Trust"

"So help me God"

"One nation, under God"

"Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!"

"serving our Nation under God in peace as well as in war by fostering the ideals and faith of patriotism, loyalty, justice, and liberty"

" increase our love, honor, and service to God and to our fellow man without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin..."

"I solemnly swear (or affirm) in the presence of Almighty God..."

Location hidden

#203159 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck doesn't care about facts. All Buck cares about is his narrative.
Who had a narrative with Darwin being the first to describe natural selection?

And who discredited that narrative with facts?

Nice story, Infinite Donut Boy.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#203160 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Government legal tribunals do not issue labels for people to wear, Chrissy.
I doubt they even had those label-maker machines back in 1945.
But here's what they do, in fact, do. They collect evidence, using investigators, witnesses, and so forth. And they enter it into evidence. It is as sworn testimony, and subject to the rules of perjury.
What the huge accumulation of evidence on the subject of Hitler and religion yielded was that he hated Christianity as he did Judaism, viewed Christianity is completely incompatible with Nazism, and planned to eradicate it from Germany. Also, he had taken steps to begin that eradication.
Your insistence that such actions still allow a person to be considered, under anyone's standards, a Christian, is insane. Further, you are implying that Christianity could somehow be the impulse for his actions. That is also insane.
I will not address your stupid assertions on this subject again.
Yet you used tribunal copy and paste to make your claim, go figure – hypocrite much?

What the huge amount of evidence yielded was that Hitler was christian, he was Nazi, he built Nazism on documented christian principals therefore you conclusion is specious

There was no evidence that he planed to eradicate christianity, there is evidence that he did what he did because of his belief that the Jews killed his christian saviour. I showed you numerous documents to this effect and you completely ignored them in the hope that they would all go away.

He had not taken steps to begin eradicating christianity, he wanted christinaity for the same reason as many dictators want Christianity, to subdue the masses

Why is it insane? The catholic chuch/vatican still consider he was a christian, just because his thuggerey puts your thuggerey in a bad like is no reason for you to steal his religion

That’s good, bottle it up you propaganda and media hype inside, it will do you good to keep your big mouth shut for a while

#203161 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Chrissy, 800 million?
Do you realize that would have required the Christian religion to kill, on average, 400,000 people per year, every year, since the birth of Christ?
Get help.
The figure exists

I see you ignore the rest of my post, well done

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

#203162 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why doesn't prayer work if delivered at the dinner table instead? The fact is that school prayer serves no other function apart from giving the church access to the minds of children from homes that don't lead them in prayer.
<quoted text>
How do you figure that a daily prayer teaches respect for authority? It teaches a god belief, which has little to do with respecting authority.
How many of you believers dropped out of school too soon? My parents wanted me to go to college, and I respected their authority,as did many of the other unbelievers posting here. That's the kind of education my atheist parents respected, not religious indoctrination. Did your parents want the same for you? Did you respect those wishes? Did your religious upbringing teach you to listen to your parents and reinforce their values, or did you rebel and drop out anyway?
How many theists on this thread have been in trouble with the law? You are one of three that I know of. I was not raised with religion. How many of those of us here raised without religion have had the same problem respecting authority?
One huge difference between the two camps here is our reliance on evidence like the above to come to conclusions about how things really are, and faith based thinkers, who simply assume things like those that you repeat here that are contradicted by the evidence. What hope is there to ever do better with faith determining your beliefs?
I think Riverside Redneck might be my husband Stan. The two think an awful lot alike.

#203163 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Jew magic?
I see. You hate Jews, too.
Wait a minute. Are you the idiot who went on a retarded splunge about circumcision being child abuse?
Your "Jew" talk makes sense now.
Are you saying that the Jews did not write the book that babble OT was (selectively) copied from?

Do you consider there term “David Copperfield magic” to be hateful?

Get a grip son shine.

So tell me what do you think of cutting a piece of a child’s body away without their permission?

Wait a minute. Are you the idiot who went on a retarded splunge about condoning mambla?

Your agreement with child abuse makes sense now

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203164 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:

Chrissy, 800 million?
Do you realize that would have required the Christian religion to kill, on average, 400,000 people per year, every year, since the birth of Christ?
Get help.
ChristineM wrote:
The figure exists
I see you ignore the rest of my post, well done
This figure exists, too:

567,439,092,866,457,991 1/2.

It's as relevant as your "Christians kill 400,000 people a year" bullshit.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#203165 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell me how science keeps showing us how the universe works without a god.
I gotta hear this one.
"How the Universe Works"
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows...

Stop being so lazy and uninformed.

#203166 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope he's not a Jew.
Then you would really unleash on him.
Funny that, we were discussing you, he’s a godbot like you only he’s more sensible and keeps more to the babble, and he does not go around kicking 7 shades of shIt out of those people who don’t agree with him. But he still talks a load of garbage and while you try and verbally abuse people he just lays on thick sexual innuendo

But had he been Jewish I would have asked him what he thought of the butcher of beirut’s funeral

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203167 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Not one single Topix atheist over the last few days has stated they did not start doing illicit drugs before age 21.
I would be unimpressed by anybody that didn't.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Put those books down}
This is the kind of wisdom that you are so respected for.
Dave Nelson wrote:
They are idiots just like you. Explore everything and map. Connect those places and things. A pattern will develop.
How is your philosophy working out for you?

#203168 Jan 15, 2014
Francine_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Riverside Redneck might be my husband Stan. The two think an awful lot alike.
I feel for you...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#203169 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You just did that yourself, when you again incorrectly asserted that I believe in Satan.
"Since you believe in Satan how is that if not in a physical form?"
Look to self....
Poor RR…reduced to parsing words so as not to have to answer the difficult questions.

How very…typical.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#203170 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in Satan, I believe he exists.
Satan doesn't need a physical form for that to happen.
<quoted text>
I use my left toe for it.
Duh.
<quoted text>
I have no idea.
The Bible describes him as elegant and arrogant in his beauty and deceitfulness. He was God's most powerful angel and that got to his head.
<quoted text>
Satan can take a physical form of his choice, like he did as the Serpent in Genesis. He's a fallen angel and has the same ability that the angels have.
But Satan in a physical form is the least of your worries.
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."
<quoted text>
Because you don't know the answer doesn't mean they are unanswered.
<quoted text>
No. You're ignorant of the subject, obviously.
<quoted text>
Amen.
No RR - I a not ignorant on the topic of invisible entities, you just want me to be, so you can make yourself sound liek you do.

Let's see, you use your toes to determine an invisible being is real enough for you to believe in, yet your toe doesn't know what this being looks like.

You must believe in and are afraid of the Boogeyman too, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr Eagle 12 2,407
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr _Bad Company 23,198
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 15 hr Pahu 33
God' existence 15 hr Carchar king 63
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 15 hr Carchar king 138
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 22 hr Crazy Mess 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu thetruth 1,442
More from around the web