Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254939 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203265 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that supposed to have a point?
Being republican doesn't make one a conservative.
True words. Like that hack in New Jersey, exactly like the pretender in the white house today.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203266 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Canadian Supreme Court Rules Biblical Speech Opposing Homosexual Behavior is a ‘Hate Crime’
http://christiannews.net/2013/02/28/canadian-...
I say bring it cowards. I won't shut up.
wow

While I think there are times the 1st Amendment has been used to protect things it was never intended to, this is a dangerous precedent that Canada is willing to engage in.

I expected to click on the article and see some sort of harassment where someone was essentially assaulting and targeting an individual and then claiming freedom of speech. Which is what the Alberta ruling was and said it was legal because it did not target an individual. But now even saying or writing the Biblical position on homosexuality is considered hate-speech?

It is basically legislating personal morality and making it illegal for someone to express their position. It is also essentially using the law to allow legislators to use their personal opinion to criminalize a portion of a religion.

I would think regardless how people felt about it personally that they would see the danger in this. Allowing the government to decide opinions are illegal is pretty nuts. It'll be interesting to see if this has a slippery slope effect. What will be next? But I saw this in a different way with the Patriot Act. People make knee-jerk decisions and give away what used to be rights that were considered sacred based on an over-reaction to a single event.

So many people died on battlefields to ensure certain rights. It's sad to see us to hand them over because of fear or political correctness. All these rights, be it privacy or free speech or legal or etc are so much bigger than any one situation. I don't see how people don't get that
Richardfs

Australia

#203267 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci encetech/article-2539100/How-r eligion-cuts-crime-Attending-c hurch-makes-likely-shoplift-dr ugs-download-music-illegally.h tml
"A survey from Manchester University found a direct correlation between higher visits to religious places and lower crime figures, especially in relation to shoplifting, drug use and music piracy."
So there is no crime in Rome can you spell Mafia or how about Dublin can you spell I.R.A. or what about the Vatican.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203268 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. don't forget sex education ..
I'll do my homework. I have a study partner.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203269 Jan 15, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
A person who does not think much can believe in anything, as you repeatedly demonstrate.
You have analysis paralysis. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed..

Safety Harbor, FL

#203270 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>wow
While I think there are times the 1st Amendment has been used to protect things it was never intended to, this is a dangerous precedent that Canada is willing to engage in.
I expected to click on the article and see some sort of harassment where someone was essentially assaulting and targeting an individual and then claiming freedom of speech. Which is what the Alberta ruling was and said it was legal because it did not target an individual. But now even saying or writing the Biblical position on homosexuality is considered hate-speech?
It is basically legislating personal morality and making it illegal for someone to express their position. It is also essentially using the law to allow legislators to use their personal opinion to criminalize a portion of a religion.
I would think regardless how people felt about it personally that they would see the danger in this. Allowing the government to decide opinions are illegal is pretty nuts. It'll be interesting to see if this has a slippery slope effect. What will be next? But I saw this in a different way with the Patriot Act. People make knee-jerk decisions and give away what used to be rights that were considered sacred based on an over-reaction to a single event.
So many people died on battlefields to ensure certain rights. It's sad to see us to hand them over because of fear or political correctness. All these rights, be it privacy or free speech or legal or etc are so much bigger than any one situation. I don't see how people don't get that
Nor do I. I have no doubt people right in this forum would like it if certain peoples word's were labeled hate speech to silence them. But you really think the government should have that power? While this is in another nation its too close to home for me. And I would say this for EVERYONE, religion/ politics aside. I can't stand rap music and happen to think it devalues both women and men but I thank God the government doesn't tell us what is or isn't valid speech. The direction we are moving isn't good bro.
Richardfs

Australia

#203271 Jan 15, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
To believe in Atheism requires one to believe in nothing.
And nothing can not heal a broken heart.
Were you born a dipstick or do you work on it daily?

Safety Harbor, FL

#203272 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>wow
Man I guess this struck a never with someone. These icons are a gas.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203273 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Backwards? Many have rendered themselves unemployable even if they really are stable persons underneath the tats piercings and pony tails.
Exactly

I would assume anybody who has ever worked in a professional setting knows that first impressions set the tone and the very first thing used to firm an impression is appearance.

Like you said, the person themselves may be very different than an assumption someone might make based in appearance. But it won't matter. Even as human beings it is pretty common knowledge that we tend to form opinions based on appearance. But when someone only has one shot to impress someone, the last thing they want to have to do is combat preconceived notions about then that they caused. It's just common sense

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#203274 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks
The story seemed a little crafted IMO
On a side note , I have never got a tattoo because I was concerned later in life I would not be as convinced whatever I got was a good idea. Looking back now I'm glad I didn't go thru with some of the ones I had been considering. Although a few I think I'd still be good with
You have any tattoos?
Or for anybody, any tattoo regrets? Or ones you have always liked and never regretted it? I've always been on the fence, even now, so would be curious to hear any stories
While in AIT in Georgia, I ran across a tattoo shop, I was gonna do it on payday. I can now say 'thankfully' they screwed up my check and I didnt get paid, in fact they said I owed them money. Anyway I never went through with it, I was back in MN. before they got it straightened out.

I was gonna get the Pink Panther in a trench coat and shades, a baggy of reefer in one hand and a doobie up to his lips in the other on my left upper arm..........

So glad i didnt get paid that payday..... LOL..........

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203275 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do. Let me help you out as I will now quote you are you jet again smear and lie about Christians...
Good summation of the differing thought processes.
When I was first confronted with this dichotomy, I didn't recognize it. I was baffled. What a ludicrous proposition! I was certain they were just posing for effect. But after considerable discussion with multiple faithers repeating this same view, with little variation, I came to realize that there apparently were individuals who required, all the way thru adulthood, an external "Rulegiver/Enforcer" . They actually seem to need someone to restrain their murderous, larcenous impulses. More than that, it has to be an "all-powerful Deity", because, by God, society can't tell them what to do.

And as you say, since it seems that being self-absorbed goes hand-in-hand with these personality types, they assume, no, insist, that everyone else suffers from the same moral turpitude.
Bilgewater - ever ready to play the victim.

The statement above is quite specific. Tell me, do you harbor murderous, larcenous impulses, held in check only because of your belief in eternal punishment? If you were to somehow fall away, would you take to robbing and killing? Do you further believe that everyone else on the planet is a closet murderer and and thief?

If you do, then yes, you are described above and by all means, I'm glad your Christianity protects us from you.

If not, then the statement doesn't apply to you.

Stop being on such sharp lookout for personal offense, and you'll be amazed how little there really is directed your way.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Show me where any Christian here insist on anything. I can spend days giving you examples of people that confess to have tolerance and show little to none and try to insist, usually by political correctness folks live the way they want or shut up. I have no problem with how people live but as long as I have breath will stand up for EVERYONE'S right to speak. Make no mistake the day will come when just like in Canada Christians will be forced by a benevolent government to sit down and shut up or locked up for hate speech. At least that's the direction I see this nation moving.
I have no doubt that your mind runneth over with nightmares of victimhood and dire apocalyptic prophecies of your own making. It is apparent in your every utterance. The one fruit which you've never seemed to be able to attain thus far, much less display, is simple peace. I do hope you find it somehow, someway in >this< life.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203276 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. He broke the rules.
It's your constitutionally protected right to carry a shotgun. I wouldn't recommend taking one to a school.
You're comparing praying in school to bringing a shotgun to school.

Does that mean you find them both equally dangerous?

Since: Sep 08

Saguache, CO

#203277 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor do I. I have no doubt people right in this forum would like it if certain peoples word's were labeled hate speech to silence them. But you really think the government should have that power? While this is in another nation its too close to home for me. And I would say this for EVERYONE, religion/ politics aside. I can't stand rap music and happen to think it devalues both women and men but I thank God the government doesn't tell us what is or isn't valid speech. The direction we are moving isn't good bro.
What the people think or vote doesn't matter a bit. These are judicial fiats driving these changes, and alleged popular opinion via mass media. Numbers don't matter, position does.

Homosexuals infiltrated the Catholic Church and were strong influences in it with their networking. Why would anyone believe they couldn't and wouldn't do the same in governments and industries?

Safety Harbor, FL

#203278 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Bilgewater - ever ready to play the victim.
The statement above is quite specific. Tell me, do you harbor murderous, larcenous impulses, held in check only because of your belief in eternal punishment? If you were to somehow fall away, would you take to robbing and killing? Do you further believe that everyone else on the planet is a closet murderer and and thief?
If you do, then yes, you are described above and by all means, I'm glad your Christianity protects us from you.
If not, then the statement doesn't apply to you.
Stop being on such sharp lookout for personal offense, and you'll be amazed how little there really is directed your way.
<quoted text>I have no doubt that your mind runneth over with nightmares of victimhood and dire apocalyptic prophecies of your own making. It is apparent in your every utterance. The one fruit which you've never seemed to be able to attain thus far, much less display, is simple peace. I do hope you find it somehow, someway in >this< life.
Insincere as ever. Since you ask, yes. I think man, every man is evil and only one can change that. Each time you mock Christ I take offense. Since 2007 haven't seen you do much else. Peace I got but make no mistake I will stand against all your crap until I breath my last.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#203279 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, lets remember some examples of your love. "Thank God you and your wife don't have children." Dumb as a box of rocks.
.. quit fibbing. I never wrote any such things, it's not my style ..
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw my wife was blessed to share this week how the Lord set her free from drugs and that lifestyle (her words).
.. tell Mrs. CC I'm proud of her for staying clean and sober, that I'll fly to FL, reward her, the next time you're out of town ..

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203280 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Public schools are secular.
Tell your pal Buck.

With Established Harem

#203281 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll do my homework. I have a study partner.
.. did I ever tell you I'm a certified teacher ??..

“The future begins”

every moment

#203282 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>wow
There's opinions, and then there's "opinions" that overlay, buttress, and underscore a legacy of brutality and violence. It's never good when gov't has to step in to enforce behavior, but it is always - always - the fact that society can't, or won't, rein it in themselves, that society, thru law, has to do it for us. The historical examples are legion.

There is growing awareness in the churches, Catholic and Protestant, that certain texts are and have been used to justify what is essentially hateful bigotry. I don't know if you read much, but if so, might I suggest Bishop J.S. Spong's book titled, "The Sins Of Scripture". In it he goes into detail how certain texts have been historically used to marginalize and oppress women, children, "other" races, and sexual orientations, as well as degrading the earth. He is not bent on criticizing Christianity, but desirous of seeing it remain relevant and vital in the modern world. Jesus gives no one permission to use scripture to sift and separate. On the contrary, he had the greatest contempt for those that did so.

With Established Harem

#203283 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
.. woe is America ..

“The future begins”

every moment

#203284 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Insincere as ever. Since you ask, yes. I think man, every man is evil and only one can change that. Each time you mock Christ I take offense. Since 2007 haven't seen you do much else. Peace I got but make no mistake I will stand against all your crap until I breath my last.
By thy fruits shall ye be known.

Since 2007 you've just been a dick hiding behind a cross, so at least we're consistent, hey?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Frank Merton 9,605
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr scientia potentia... 29,520
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr scientia potentia... 11,588
Religion Down Suicide Up 5 hr Patrick 87
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 6 hr Richard 50,963
Atheism is not a belief 6 hr Patrick 188
News Speaking for God 8 hr Richardfs 561
More from around the web