Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#203010 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Not one single Topix atheist over the last few days has stated they did not start doing illicit drugs before age 21.
But this is good in one way. They have a semblance of honesty somewhere in them.
This explains the junior high level of intellectual grabass they indulge themselves in on here. Underdeveloped minds doing what they can to look smart.
It makes a real grownup want to puke.
Listen, kiddies, you want to be smart? It's easy. Start thinking.
You get on here with your canned spam to argue with. Learn how to cook.
Put those books down and start figuring things out for yourself. That is NOT reading other books. That is pulling all you have learned together and connecting dots. That is putting what you have learned, meaning life experience, to use and comparing to what you have read. Quit letting some author amaze and stupefy your brain with some high sounding sorta intellectual sounding bunch of words. They are idiots just like you. Explore everything and map. Connect those places and things. A pattern will develop.
Oh, this is the one life you will ever have, right? So you spend it jacking off your mental pud. And not getting anything of value. There is a reason for that impotence.
Exercise your brain. Go out and get some sunshine and fresh air. Get those neural pathways to building and doing something useful and not just a storage area for another idiots thoughts. You think you have been played for idiots by religion? There are worse than those to be played for idiots by.
That was a public service announcement.
But I like books!!

Right now, I'm reading Austerlitz, by W.G. Sebald. Beautiful novel.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#203011 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>It may be time to take the paper clips off of your nipples, Dave.
You seem a little "testy" of late.
I spent part of yesterday and today in damp, chilly, windy weather dropping a couple of 16 foot sections of 20 year old 6 foot cedar privacy fence down to 4 foot. Cut off at the bottom and dropped the top rails. Was too high for where it was, really, and I got tired of looking at it.

The cold and damp wore this tired old ass out. Makes me grumpy. And I'm a little constipated.

Plus Topix atheists are obnoxious idiots.

Heading for my nice warm bed. Goodnight.

Long Beach, CA

#203012 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He was no professional, was he?
My contractor is a highly skilled and accomplished craftsman. He doesn't work cheap, but his workmanship is well worth the price.

Add to his skill his vision and creativity, and I'd say he's an artist.

Next is an arbor. I'm going to grow grapes.

Long Beach, CA

#203013 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if he's guilty you can guarantee his freedom?
Just sayin, knowin Buck, he's probably guilty....
I'm confident I can convince the jury that Buck is insane.

Long Beach, CA

#203014 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Lemme redneck it down fer ya.
When he says the divorce rates increased by 300% from 1963 to 1978, he's saying the divorce rate has tripled.
Meaning, if there was 1,000 divorces then, there are 3,000 now.
Capisce?
Unlike you, I'm not judgmental about divorce, but haven't you contributed to those statistics?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#203015 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That was a very Vulcan apology and explanation.
I don't accept it.
You sound like the reverse Phil Robertson...
It wasn't an apology, because I don't regret it.

You're free to believe that Satan is causing me to be mean to you, if that would make you feel better. That's one of the luxuries of employing faith.

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

#203017 Jan 14, 2014
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? That doesn't make sense.

Long Beach, CA

#203018 Jan 14, 2014
Francine_Smith wrote:
Francine,

There is no Langly Falls, Virginia.

Not even a Langley Falls.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203019 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exactly wrong on that note.
I oppose anarchy by any mean I can.
<quoted text>
No, that isn't my point. You missed it I guess. I think that's a conclusion you've drawn. Based on what, I don't know.
<quoted text>
My actions? What actions of mine could've driven someone away from the faith?
<quoted text>
You're referring here to what I call a "Sunday Christian". It's a person that is super-duper Christian whole at church on Sunday but that's about it. There are many Americans like this. They are the ones hurting Christianity's reputation more than anything. They'll go out parting their ass off on Saturday night and "praise Gawd" Sunday morning.
You're not talking about me, though.
<quoted text>
I agree. Acknowledging that there is a problem is step one. Most people can't do that.
That's been made apparent here when the Topix Atheist! refuses to listen to logic and sensibility about the mountain of evidence stacking against them in regards to the loss of prayer on schools, how America has steadily gone downhill since then.
I'm sorry, Riv, by your own admission, you are a part of the problem.

You like these correlations, do you?

Did you know violent crime per capita peaked in 1992, and has shown a continued precipitous drop ever since? Did you know the rate now is back to the level of 1971, and still dropping? What could that mean?

Let's see, 1992 - what significant date can we track to that date?

Wait a minute - that's exactly 19 years after Roe v Wade. What the heck - one generation after the SC decision legalizing abortion, and violent crime started dropping, and has dropped every year since.

You want lower crime? Support reproductive choice.

How d'ya like that for a correlation?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#203020 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Francine,
There is no Langly Falls, Virginia.
Not even a Langley Falls.
That's where Francine and Stan and Steve and Hayley and Roger live.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203021 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What bullshit. Anything to dodge a perfectly uncomfortable question for you to answer.
That described incident has been written down for mucho centuries. Hardly an internet discovery.
Kimare put a modern perspective on an old story and pointed out how anomalous it was for that day and time. Without his perspective you would still just think of it as some vague cloud thing. Something that was out of your ability to really regard until he presented it that way
So you poo poo in self defense when you got caught with your pants down.
There are stories about descriptions of nuclear warfare in the Vedic texts, and those too were before the internet. Yet that Bible story has an even longer verifiable pedigree.
Answer his question, it is quite a legitimate one. How could such phenomenon be incorporated in such an old book?
And please don't come up with the it was all a conspiracy hatched several thousands of years ago. By what you call goat herders.
Those Bible stories are a lot more complex than those pagan myths. They are much more than campfire tales. Why would they even have to come up with such a story?
Address the question, not the justified ridicule you have deserved. Very simple. Tell us how.
I've answered it again and again and again. It was a very simple answer. You can never go far wrong with good ol' Occam's Razor.

He has not responded to my answer again and again and again. He hasn't the grace to even acknowledge that he received an answer. He just says "nobody can respond" again and again and again. Excuse me if I get bored easily by self-aggrandizing charlatans.

Then he takes a simple thing like hand-washing and tries to turn it into some divine inspiration about "understanding germs". But he ignores the FACT that they thought epilepsy was caused by demon possession! He acts all smug about his "knowledge" but then tips his hand by claiming Lev.14 is about healing leprosy. I knew then we had us a garden-variety Bible cherry-picker.

His "radiation" spin is just a grifter's tale to wow the gullible and and easily-led.

But it looks like he's succeeded in at least one case.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203022 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But..... I tried extra special hard.
I even put out the roses and everything...
Why were they on fire?

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#203023 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus & Satan aren't fictitious, though.

I thought you knew.
Yes they are. Figments of someone else's imagination, which you claim to worship. So sad.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203024 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Let's be clear.

You want to live in a theocratic dictatorship.
It certainly looks that way, he reminds me of Hitler, just not as clever.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203025 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No.

I don't want religion forced on anybody.
Your posts suggest otherwise.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203026 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Quitting? I understand. Gets embarrassing being exposed as a fool.

Bye.

Smile.
*the delusion is strong in this one*

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203027 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike you, I'm not judgmental about divorce, but haven't you contributed to those statistics?
Oh no, rr probably only got divorced because some little kid didn't pray for his marriage.
Kimokeo

Belleville, IL

#203028 Jan 14, 2014
As somebody who identifies as a Freethinker, I waver between agnosticism, deism, pantheism and light atheism. Most of you folks on Topix, atheist, Christian, or otherwise, seem to come across as belligerent folks which means that reasonable people tend to shut you out of their minds...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203029 Jan 14, 2014
Francine_Smith wrote:
It only makes sense to faithists...who aren't know for making much sense.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203030 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I've answered it again and again and again. It was a very simple answer. You can never go far wrong with good ol' Occam's Razor.
He has not responded to my answer again and again and again. He hasn't the grace to even acknowledge that he received an answer. He just says "nobody can respond" again and again and again. Excuse me if I get bored easily by self-aggrandizing charlatans.
Then he takes a simple thing like hand-washing and tries to turn it into some divine inspiration about "understanding germs". But he ignores the FACT that they thought epilepsy was caused by demon possession! He acts all smug about his "knowledge" but then tips his hand by claiming Lev.14 is about healing leprosy. I knew then we had us a garden-variety Bible cherry-picker.
His "radiation" spin is just a grifter's tale to wow the gullible and and easily-led.
But it looks like he's succeeded in at least one case.
After exchanging a few posts with Dave recently, I have reminded myself that one's response to Dave should be...

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 8 hr Morse 2,615
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 9 hr SnuffAGlobalist 18
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Morse 23,260
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 13 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 13 hr P_Smith 9
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 15 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 17 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web