Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#203023 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus & Satan aren't fictitious, though.

I thought you knew.
Yes they are. Figments of someone else's imagination, which you claim to worship. So sad.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203024 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Let's be clear.

You want to live in a theocratic dictatorship.
It certainly looks that way, he reminds me of Hitler, just not as clever.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203025 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No.

I don't want religion forced on anybody.
Your posts suggest otherwise.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203026 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Quitting? I understand. Gets embarrassing being exposed as a fool.

Bye.

Smile.
*the delusion is strong in this one*

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203027 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike you, I'm not judgmental about divorce, but haven't you contributed to those statistics?
Oh no, rr probably only got divorced because some little kid didn't pray for his marriage.
Kimokeo

Belleville, IL

#203028 Jan 14, 2014
As somebody who identifies as a Freethinker, I waver between agnosticism, deism, pantheism and light atheism. Most of you folks on Topix, atheist, Christian, or otherwise, seem to come across as belligerent folks which means that reasonable people tend to shut you out of their minds...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203029 Jan 14, 2014
Francine_Smith wrote:
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? That doesn't make sense.
It only makes sense to faithists...who aren't know for making much sense.

#203030 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I've answered it again and again and again. It was a very simple answer. You can never go far wrong with good ol' Occam's Razor.
He has not responded to my answer again and again and again. He hasn't the grace to even acknowledge that he received an answer. He just says "nobody can respond" again and again and again. Excuse me if I get bored easily by self-aggrandizing charlatans.
Then he takes a simple thing like hand-washing and tries to turn it into some divine inspiration about "understanding germs". But he ignores the FACT that they thought epilepsy was caused by demon possession! He acts all smug about his "knowledge" but then tips his hand by claiming Lev.14 is about healing leprosy. I knew then we had us a garden-variety Bible cherry-picker.
His "radiation" spin is just a grifter's tale to wow the gullible and and easily-led.
But it looks like he's succeeded in at least one case.
After exchanging a few posts with Dave recently, I have reminded myself that one's response to Dave should be...

Nothing to see here. Move along.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203031 Jan 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>After exchanging a few posts with Dave recently, I have reminded myself that one's response to Dave should be...

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Lol. I've come to a similar conclusion.

“I'm Not Wearing Any Underwear”

Since: Jan 14

Langly Falls, Va

#203032 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Francine,
There is no Langly Falls, Virginia.
Not even a Langley Falls.
You mean those bastards lied to me??

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#203033 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I've answered it again and again and again. It was a very simple answer. You can never go far wrong with good ol' Occam's Razor.
He has not responded to my answer again and again and again. He hasn't the grace to even acknowledge that he received an answer. He just says "nobody can respond" again and again and again. Excuse me if I get bored easily by self-aggrandizing charlatans.
Then he takes a simple thing like hand-washing and tries to turn it into some divine inspiration about "understanding germs". But he ignores the FACT that they thought epilepsy was caused by demon possession! He acts all smug about his "knowledge" but then tips his hand by claiming Lev.14 is about healing leprosy. I knew then we had us a garden-variety Bible cherry-picker.
His "radiation" spin is just a grifter's tale to wow the gullible and and easily-led.
But it looks like he's succeeded in at least one case.
?

It seems you have assumed the "whaddabout" method of Topix atheist kung fu in these contests.

It is a most effective method of dodging hits, if not real impressive in style. However it does seem popular among many Topix atheists due to the minimalistic expenditure of energy required to learn it.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#203034 Jan 15, 2014
No, just incontinent.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why were they on fire?

#203035 Jan 15, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. I've come to a similar conclusion.
A friend of mine works for an environmental agency. Once he fielded a call from a woman who was inquiring about the danger of microwaves...the EM radiation, not the ovens.

Turns out the reason she was concerned was because little green men were burying jars filled with microwaves beneath her house.

Dave approaches that level of weirdness.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203036 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The loss of daily school prayer led to the demise of the public's feeling of morality. America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following that one event.
Who are you blaming here? How would a lack of school prayer result in a decline in America? Did your god withhold his favor in a snit, or did the Christians just start rebelling? The public was and still is overwhelmingly Christian. If Christians that have already outgrown public school need for children in school to say prayers in order to behave morally as adults, then Christianity simply isn't an adequate system for teaching moral behavior.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Kids are too young to make moral decisions and need to be taught the respectful way to behave. By parents, teachers and school authorities Parents nowadays given up because the state has stepped in and tied the hands of teachers and parents. Praying teaches thankfulness and that we are all accountable to God and to each other for proper behavior.
The prayer needs to be at school? It won't work if its done at home over breakfast?

Whatever societal collapse you are imagining happened in Christians. The number calling themselves anything other than Christian remained under 15% through 1990 - 28 years after 1962. Even now, only about 3% of Americans call themselves atheists. If America became immoral because of what happened over a generation earlier, it was predominantly Christians doing it.

Feel free to pray if you think it will help. It's your right, and has been since the founding of the nation. I just don't see where it matters. Haven't Christians been praying for America all along as it continues in its decline, even now?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#203037 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"They are deniable"
But you didn't deny them.
Imagine that.
I see you are still a pathological liar.
Toby

Portland, OR

#203038 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No, thank you, but I don't think I will follow you any further down the rabbit hole, Alice. It was amusing, for awhile, to watch your machinations, your red herrings, your twists, your occasional glaring ignorance of the material, all the while ungraciously ignoring counter-points and questions that offer a reasonable contribution, if not agreed conclusion. And always signed off with a smug pose of pretended lassitude. That was quaint, the first couple of times. Like a child that gets a laugh once, and then runs a joke into the ground, you obliviously go to the well too often there, but you'll do as you please, I'm sure. As Dickens' Jenny Wren said, "I know your ways and your manners" clearly by now.
No, this ride has become tedious and boring. I'm content to wait for the next one.
>wink<
Oh you didn't know, that's senile KiMare our very own anti-anal crusader, he even thinks he has interesting contributions to the debate, and insist his wild bigoted delusions are empirically based. He has other attributes like mate poaching, bulldog crusader, and get this one he thinks he is a (pilgrim), and one day he hopes to rid the world of anal sex, that's his life goal, as he slips into senility. Yep, our very own Topix AASC anti- anal sex crusader , and yea he loves to end his unintelligible post (which he thinks are ingenious) with a snarky closing, like smirk, real infantile like his reasoning.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203039 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. Kids not praying, not respecting authority.
2. Kids grow up to be asshole adults.
And you blame that on the schools - for not having a moment of prayer each morning? All of those Christian families raised assholes because those children didn't get led in prayer at school five mornings a week? It sounds to me like a failure of Christian culture. It has always held the reins, and still does. Christians still represent the majority - at least 70-75%. Go ahead and work your magic while you still hold majority status. Repair the culture with prayer, example, or whatever else you have to offer. If you can, you'll impress people and win converts and even support from unbelievers. It probably won't make us believe in your god, but it will us a reason to value your church.

If you can't help the culture or yourselves, then perhaps its time for something new.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203040 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>A friend of mine works for an environmental agency. Once he fielded a call from a woman who was inquiring about the danger of microwaves...the EM radiation, not the ovens.

Turns out the reason she was concerned was because little green men were burying jars filled with microwaves beneath her house.

Dave approaches that level of weirdness.
Approaches?

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203041 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you blaming here? How would a lack of school prayer result in a decline in America? Did your god withhold his favor in a snit, or did the Christians just start rebelling? The public was and still is overwhelmingly Christian. If Christians that have already outgrown public school need for children in school to say prayers in order to behave morally as adults, then Christianity simply isn't an adequate system for teaching moral behavior.

RiversideRedneck wrote, " Kids are too young to make moral decisions and need to be taught the respectful way to behave. By parents, teachers and school authorities Parents nowadays given up because the state has stepped in and tied the hands of teachers and parents. Praying teaches thankfulness and that we are all accountable to God and to each other for proper behavior. "

The prayer needs to be at school? It won't work if its done at home over breakfast?

Whatever societal collapse you are imagining happened in Christians. The number calling themselves anything other than Christian remained under 15% through 1990 - 28 years after 1962. Even now, only about 3% of Americans call themselves atheists. If America became immoral because of what happened over a generation earlier, it was predominantly Christians doing it.

Feel free to pray if you think it will help. It's your right, and has been since the founding of the nation. I just don't see where it matters. Haven't Christians been praying for America all along as it continues in its decline, even now?
http://youtu.be/R09plsi0AHw

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#203042 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>And you blame that on the schools - for not having a moment of prayer each morning? All of those Christian families raised assholes because those children didn't get led in prayer at school five mornings a week? It sounds to me like a failure of Christian culture. It has always held the reins, and still does. Christians still represent the majority - at least 70-75%. Go ahead and work your magic while you still hold majority status. Repair the culture with prayer, example, or whatever else you have to offer. If you can, you'll impress people and win converts and even support from unbelievers. It probably won't make us believe in your god, but it will us a reason to value your church.

If you can't help the culture or yourselves, then perhaps its time for something new.
In my kids' previous school, a christian school, the kids were forced to pray and read the bible everyday.

The children in that school were very violent and many parents were divorced.

Just saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 11 min NoahLovesU 1,259
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min NoahLovesU 14,708
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,848
why? 2 hr Uncle Sam 55
The Consequences of Atheism 4 hr ChristineM 85
Christianity Created Hitler 6 hr thetruth 221
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr Thinking 1,500
More from around the web