Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 242968 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202906 Jan 14, 2014
Greens - tuf wrote:
Hey , I have read many, many posts from atheists stating that we are all born atheists, and it is only after brainwashing that people are introduced to a "God".
But here you say "I've been an atheist most of my life" You atheists sure do need to set some ground rules before getting on here. A bit of collusion might be in order.
What do you think I should have said instead? All of my life?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#202907 Jan 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying that. We all know your belief system - as much as would be of any interest to an unbeliever. Sure, we don't know whether you believe in baptism by immersion, sprinkling, or not at all, nor whether you attend a weekly service or not, nor what name you give your god. But why would any of that matter?
We also know your disposition and intelligence. You seem to think that you are a mystery, but you're not.
<quoted text>
There you go. What do you think that comment at the end of every post says about you?
Ah, a censored post. Simply says that you have no reasoned answer.
All you do have is a guess about what I believe, instead of an answer to a simple question...

I enjoyed Elijah's response to the prophets of Baal, "perhaps your God is going to the bathroom". My 'smirk' is simply saying to atheists, "perhaps your brain fell out when you went to the bathroom."

Smile.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#202908 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I'm simply relating the passage in scientific terms, alien.
You may think you've used scientific terms. Merely saying what you've presented is scientific does not make what you've said scientific.
KiMare wrote:
You are imposing preconceived beliefs on a purported fiction book. Why does that make you so psychotic?
I utilize the the statements found in the mythic book(bible), and beliefs of the adherents in discussions such as this.

The notions existed long before I.
KiMare wrote:
I agree, the Alien could simply be another species. God-like, but different.
I make no rebuttal. I simply note that being in the Alien presence cause a glow that confounded anyone who saw Moses, and clear confounds you too... Please try to stick to the subject without making unfounded assertions.
Riiight, Astro. What is "unknown radiation", again?
KiMare wrote:
I'm sorry, but shielding to protect from death relates to radiation. A glowing affect only increases that. In the context of an Alien visitor hovering over the Israelites only solidifies the conundrum.
Are you a Scientologist?

Or are you simply an "ancient space alien" believer, that's an Abrahamic theist, and aliens in the mix make it more plausible to you?
KiMare wrote:
I made no assertions. I've listed five aspects noted in an ancient book, and I'm still waiting for a single atheist to explain them in context.
All five aspects you mention are found in a book of myth. Like other myths, it reads as the dreams and ramblings of primitive men, trying to understand the mysterious world around them, and describing that world in anthropomorphic terms - their deity - since there is no evidence to think otherwise.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202909 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about hiding.
<quoted text>
Yes, and that openness hinders communication.
<quoted text>
I prefer specificity.
Using one word to refer to two very different things invites miscommunication.
I'll think you're being dishonest if you don't follow the rules of engagement. It won't take any effort to unambiguously say precisely what you mean.
Do you still object?
You said I might be demonstrating my willingness to equivocate.

That means hiding something - namely, the truth.

Perhaps you should be less unambiguous in your wording...

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#202910 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What irony?
I believe Satan exists, I don't believe "in" him.
You're all sixes and sevens today...
Would you describe hypnotism as "magic", or some kind of hoax?

If so, do you think Satan is behind it all?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#202911 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Tax collector? Man, it looks like you reached one rung too high, but I won't dwell on it.
Yes, you reveal emotional investment when you defend the mythology of Paul without supporting facts. Yes, Paul may have been knocked around a little, but as has been amply demonstrated, his own scribe does not record anything near the depredations Paul represents. As for his death, we have nothing but legend, yet you propose that as firmly as the finest church deacon. Do you know where Paul's alleged beheading comes from? The Apocrypha. Yes, those books deemed not reliable enough to be included in canon. But just as Christians pick and choose to this day, the early Church Fathers saw fit to promulgate the legend found in the Apocrypha that dear Paul was beheaded, while dismissing the rest. Martyrs make great sermon-fodder for the Sunday slackjaws in the pews.
Except, of course, the other legend, that says he went to Spain, as he always wanted to do. That won't do tho', not nearly as dramatic.
Who knows? It is all the stuff of legend, and only the emotionally invested speak of it as if it were God-breathed fact.
Knocked around a little? Just wow. I know you were nuts but didn't know until know how far gone you really are.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202912 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to religious monuments not your analogies but it's not like the preschoolers will be taken to a strip club is it?
No.

But the preschoolers on your to that capitol building will probably sit on the Satan statue's lap.

There's a good thought....

Fennario

#202913 Jan 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
It baffles me that people like RR and KM find the idea of whale evolution to be so incredible as to be ridiculous...nothing more than a fairy tale. Yet when I look, I see sea otters that are mostly aquatic and very little different from their land bound cousins. I see seals that have a great many similarities to sea otters, but are better adapted to an aquatic life. I see manatees that are very similar to seals, but so well adapted to the ocean that they have completely divorced themselves from the land. And I see whales that are not that different in most aspect from manatees, yet even better adapted. If one bothers to look, one actually sees a plausible progression from a land animal to a whale, exemplified by other species that are moving along the same path. And the fossil record confirms that. Yet they think the whole idea impossible (yet think that being created from dirt is perfectly logical). Go figure. The other day, one of creationist asked me to explain why whales didn't evolve gills. After posting a reply, it occurred to me that I should have asked a question in return..."If your God is perfect, why did he create whales without gills?" Evolution can only work with what it starts with. God is supposed to be able to do anything.
Good post.

If I had a manatee, I would name him Hugh and have Jimmy Carter build him a habitat.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202914 Jan 14, 2014
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
He ain't got a clue what hidden fasteners are.
He didn't build it, he paid somebody to do it.
That kind of work is beneath him.
He has a reputation to uphold .
Oh ya.

Lol

Whoever he hired surely isn't what he'd call a professional......

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202915 Jan 14, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
What is the difference of the two?
If you "believe something exists" - isn't that the same as making a decision to "believe in"?
Shoot - you've already place "Satan" in a physical form, but you "don't believe in" the entity?
You sound confused.
Seriously?

No, wait.

Seriously?

You don't know the difference between "believe to exist" and "believe in"?!

And when did I place Satan in a physical form?

Put the bong down, let it rest for a few hours then get back to me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202916 Jan 14, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
Capitol Hill.......
Oprah's house?

Location hidden

#202917 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Here, understand myth and the elements involved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_myth...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_deity
<quoted text>
You mean a supernatural being, at best. Remember, the "spirit deity" portrayed in the myth is said to have created the universe.
Not an alien - to anywhere or anything - if you believe that story.
Gosh, thank you! You just proved my point.

Two of those sites claim a commonality among myths, the 'sun' one has no point.

What sets the Exodus event apart from myths is the inclusion of describing accurately scientific circumstances that can only be explained thousands of years later.

You provided no myth that copies that aspect.

Moreover, no myth has created anything like the Jewish culture.

Care to try again?

Smile.

Fennario

#202918 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
There is no such thing as conservative judicial activism. All judicial activism is liberal. When a conservative jurist commits activism, he is committing liberalism Conservatism embodies original intent and construction of the Constitution. When a conservative commits activism, he is being a judicial liberal.
Disagree. There is nothing inherently conservative or liberal about either attitude. When a jurist commits activism in service of a conservative preference, he remains a conservative.
The Court doesn't literally amend the language of the Constitution.
Buck Crick wrote:
The court DOES rewrite the Constitution when it renders a ruling opposite of what the Constitution says and intends.
Literally?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202919 Jan 14, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Not always will they.
I can trust you with the key to my house, but I don't have faith that you will not rob me blind.
Two different meanings.
Oh, geez. You're really reaching.

Um, let's try it this way:

I have enough faith in you to give you the key to my house, but I can't trust that you won't rob me blind.

It works either way.

Because faith and trust mean virtually the same thing, especially in this context.

faith
strong belief or trust in someone or something.

trust
firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.

www.merriam-webster.com
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#202920 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
My name is not "All of my life."
It's "Greens - tuf."

Location hidden

#202921 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You mean a supernatural being, at best. Remember, the "spirit deity" portrayed in the myth is said to have created the universe.
Not an alien - to anywhere or anything - if you believe that story.
You assume the account false. You have no absolute proof of that.

I simply and accurately note that the account describes the Law Giver as a visitor from another world. The most scientific description would be 'Alien', not 'supernatural being'.
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#202922 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
"to this point of my life"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202923 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:

Would you describe hypnotism as "magic", or some kind of hoax?
If so, do you think Satan is behind it all?
I would describe hypnotism as a kind of hoax. No magic involved there. It's a fancy way to trick people's minds. But only to those "willing" to be hypnotized.

No I don't think Satan is behind hypnosis. What kind of question was that?!

Fennario

#202924 Jan 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
I was quoting another however im really unaware of much. Anything particular I should know?
Conservative justices have committed the same kind of judicial activism as liberal judge, except in furtherance of conservative values. Catcher gave us an example - affirming corporate personhood. Other noteworthy examples from last decade include Bush v. Gore and District of Columbia v. Heller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Colu...

There is nothing in the Constitution that compelled the Court to have Florida stop recounting votes or to consider the citizens of DC a militia. Those were choices motivated by conservatives promoting conservative values.
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#202925 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya.
Lol
Whoever he hired surely isn't what he'd call a professional......
Lol.
He would probably tell people that the handy man did a "professional job."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 min ChristineM 9,154
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 2 hr lozzza 6,160
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Chimney1 19,739
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 21 hr Thinking 15
Atheists have morals too! Sun par five 3
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Sun QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,280
More from around the web