Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#202990 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Quitting? I understand. Gets embarrassing being exposed as a fool.
Bye.
Smile.
I wouldn't call it quitting. I'd call it waiting for you to support your claim.

But keep telling yourself that, because, the best thing about your delusion is only you have to believe it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202991 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
I don't know what you're asking.
Could you be less unambiguous, please?
That's my word jumble, señor.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#202992 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate those hidden fasteners.
I usually end up ripping off straps, fasteners, and all.
I hired a top-notch licensed contractor to build my deck. Pricey, but well worth it.

I have my expertise, he has his.

And his expertise is admirable--my deck is beautiful, with a jacuzzi at the center. With the clear night and the almost-full moon tonight, it's a sight to behold.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202993 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but it's harder to prove in those crimes.
What you have to do is kill the victim after the armed robbery.
Then you'll have a good insanity defense.
(Good thing Brother Marine isn't here. I once joked that, after the jury came back with a guilty verdict of murder for my client, I leaned over to him and whispered, "I'll work on the appeal; you try to escape." BM was horrified that I would suggest that my client should try to escape.)
Good old Brother Marine. He was easily offended. He left the threads to study for some sort of theology degree, at East Overshoe University or something like that.
Thanks for the memories, Buck.
HA HA!!

"I'll work on the appeal; you try to escape."

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

If you can't laugh at that, you need to get the hell on outta here.

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#202994 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
" Your honor, whatever the charge is, I did it."
No wonder you've spent so much time behind bars.

Next time, hire Catcher. I guarantee you'll walk.

We may even be able to wrangle an apology from the D.A.

Since: Sep 08

Saguache, CO

#202995 Jan 14, 2014
Not one single Topix atheist over the last few days has stated they did not start doing illicit drugs before age 21.

But this is good in one way. They have a semblance of honesty somewhere in them.

This explains the junior high level of intellectual grabass they indulge themselves in on here. Underdeveloped minds doing what they can to look smart.

It makes a real grownup want to puke.

Listen, kiddies, you want to be smart? It's easy. Start thinking.

You get on here with your canned spam to argue with. Learn how to cook.

Put those books down and start figuring things out for yourself. That is NOT reading other books. That is pulling all you have learned together and connecting dots. That is putting what you have learned, meaning life experience, to use and comparing to what you have read. Quit letting some author amaze and stupefy your brain with some high sounding sorta intellectual sounding bunch of words. They are idiots just like you. Explore everything and map. Connect those places and things. A pattern will develop.

Oh, this is the one life you will ever have, right? So you spend it jacking off your mental pud. And not getting anything of value. There is a reason for that impotence.

Exercise your brain. Go out and get some sunshine and fresh air. Get those neural pathways to building and doing something useful and not just a storage area for another idiots thoughts. You think you have been played for idiots by religion? There are worse than those to be played for idiots by.

That was a public service announcement.

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#202996 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lookin at yer junk again?
I'm not guilty by reason of insanity.

Your Satan made me do it.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#202997 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You asked about Satan....
Don't be a smartass fuckweasel and denigrate my beliefs.
It's not personal.

I don't respect any superstitious beliefs. I see no reason to shelter people like you from criticism or ridicule, which are the natural consequences of adopting and perpetuating extraordinary beliefs without sufficient justification.

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#202998 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA!!
"I'll work on the appeal; you try to escape."
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
If you can't laugh at that, you need to get the hell on outta here.
Sometimes one can't be too confident about prevailing on appeal, so a backup plan is helpful.

It's important to collect the legal fees up front, for obvious reasons.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#202999 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Not one single Topix atheist over the last few days has stated they did not start doing illicit drugs before age 21.
But this is good in one way. They have a semblance of honesty somewhere in them.
This explains the junior high level of intellectual grabass they indulge themselves in on here. Underdeveloped minds doing what they can to look smart.
Put those books down and start figuring things out for yourself. That is NOT reading other books. That is pulling all you have learned together and connecting dots. That is putting what you have learned, meaning life experience, to use and comparing to what you have read. Quit letting some author amaze and stupefy your brain with some high sounding sorta intellectual sounding bunch of words. They are idiots just like you. Explore everything and map. Connect those places and things. A pattern will develop.
Oh, this is the one life you will ever have, right? So you spend it jacking off your mental pud. And not getting anything of value. There is a reason for that impotence.
Exercise your brain. Go out and get some sunshine and fresh air. Get those neural pathways to building and doing something useful and not just a storage area for another idiots thoughts. You think you have been played for idiots by religion? There are worse than those to be played for idiots by.
It may be time to take the paper clips off of your nipples, Dave.

You seem a little "testy" of late.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203000 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
OK, so YOU didn't pull the statistic out of you ass.

But let's look at the author's claim...divorce rates increased by 300% from 1963 to 1978.

A 15 year span, so he is claiming that the divorce rate went up by 3 to 15th power. 3 to the 15th power is over 14 million (14, 348,907 to be exact).

So, how many divorces occurred in 1963. I don't know, but I am sure you will agree there were more than 1000. So let's just use this low-ball figure and see what happens.

Using your author's figures, there would have been 14 BILLION divorces in 1978.

OK, so you didn't pull the statistic out of your butt. Your author did.

(BTW, I am not arguing that divorce rates did not increase after 1963. They clearly did. But I will argue that the reasons for that increase have nothing to do with stopping school prayer. The situation was far more complex than your simplistic answer.)

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203001 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
No, it really wasn't.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203002 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hired a top-notch licensed contractor to build my deck. Pricey, but well worth it.
I have my expertise, he has his.
And his expertise is admirable--my deck is beautiful, with a jacuzzi at the center. With the clear night and the almost-full moon tonight, it's a sight to behold.
He was no professional, was he?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203003 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

No wonder you've spent so much time behind bars.
Next time, hire Catcher. I guarantee you'll walk.
We may even be able to wrangle an apology from the D.A.
Even if he's guilty you can guarantee his freedom?

Just sayin, knowin Buck, he's probably guilty....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203004 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not personal.
I don't respect any superstitious beliefs. I see no reason to shelter people like you from criticism or ridicule, which are the natural consequences of adopting and perpetuating extraordinary beliefs without sufficient justification.
That was a very Vulcan apology and explanation.

I don't accept it.

You sound like the reverse Phil Robertson...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203005 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but it's harder to prove in those crimes.
What you have to do is kill the victim after the armed robbery.
Then you'll have a good insanity defense.
(Good thing Brother Marine isn't here. I once joked that, after the jury came back with a guilty verdict of murder for my client, I leaned over to him and whispered, "I'll work on the appeal; you try to escape." BM was horrified that I would suggest that my client should try to escape.)
Good old Brother Marine. He was easily offended. He left the threads to study for some sort of theology degree, at East Overshoe University or something like that.
Thanks for the memories, Buck.
Some clients would have looked at you and said,“you better be the one that should try to escape.”

Lawyers have been targeted, shot, stabbed and choked.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203006 Jan 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so YOU didn't pull the statistic out of you ass.
But let's look at the author's claim...divorce rates increased by 300% from 1963 to 1978.
A 15 year span, so he is claiming that the divorce rate went up by 3 to 15th power. 3 to the 15th power is over 14 million (14, 348,907 to be exact).
So, how many divorces occurred in 1963. I don't know, but I am sure you will agree there were more than 1000. So let's just use this low-ball figure and see what happens.
Using your author's figures, there would have been 14 BILLION divorces in 1978.
OK, so you didn't pull the statistic out of your butt. Your author did.
(BTW, I am not arguing that divorce rates did not increase after 1963. They clearly did. But I will argue that the reasons for that increase have nothing to do with stopping school prayer. The situation was far more complex than your simplistic answer.)
No.

Lemme redneck it down fer ya.

When he says the divorce rates increased by 300% from 1963 to 1978, he's saying the divorce rate has tripled.

Meaning, if there was 1,000 divorces then, there are 3,000 now.

Capisce?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203007 Jan 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post.
If I had a manatee, I would name him Hugh and have Jimmy Carter build him a habitat.
Here is a very geeky song, Sexy Cyborg, by the Key of Awesome!

Near the end it has a line..."Man-eating manatees"

Now back to our regular Topix...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#203008 Jan 14, 2014
River Tam wrote:

No, it really wasn't.
But..... I tried extra special hard.

I even put out the roses and everything...

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#203010 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
But I like books!!

Right now, I'm reading Austerlitz, by W.G. Sebald. Beautiful novel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr Frindly 3,205
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 2 hr Eagle 12 - 15
High School Atheism 3 hr blacklagoon 3 39
what science will NEVER be able to prove 4 hr blacklagoon 3 61
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) 9 hr Frindly 1,191
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 9 hr tongangodz 4,953
How Do You Debate? 13 hr blacklagoon 3 2
More from around the web