Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#202661 Jan 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Even though it has never been replicated or observed? Then why not abiogenesis?
Whale evolution may have occurred.

Abiogenesis may have occurred.

With whale evolution, however, we have some evidence. For abiogenesis, there is none.

I don't get why you think that is inconsistent.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#202662 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
You mean he wasn't murdering in the name of Satan?
Interesting turn around.
When a Christian goes nuts like that, all you Topix Atheists! blame it on his Christianity and claim he was murdering "for God".
But when a Satanist does it....
He's just an "utter nutcase, and totally wasted on hallucinogens".
Fucking hypocrites.
Are you claiming that Kasso did kill "in the name of Satan"? Only I don't remember that bit.

And as I recall, it was the mainstream that made a huge fuss about his being a Satanist. They don't tend to do that when the killers are Christian, even when they proclaim that they are acting in the Name of God, or at His direct instructions.

Also, are you assuming that the LSD was a non-factor? Odd.

Who's the hypocrite again?

Just to be clear, I don't believe in the Christian myth of Satan, either.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#202663 Jan 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Backwards? Many have rendered themselves unemployable even if they really are stable persons underneath the tats piercings and pony tails.
Yes. Backwards. Trapped in the dark ages. I live in the 21st Century.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#202664 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
....."Conservative judicial activism" is a self-contradictory term...
ROFLMAO

Reality has nothing to do with you, does it ?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#202665 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
I've been an atheist most of my life, and it has never directed me to form an atheist state or to murder. That is true for all of the other atheists I have known as well.
If I ever change my mind on that, the impetus will have to come from elsewhere.
I am a theist. It has never directed me to be a suicide bomber.

It has helped shape my perspective of reality, and of what ought to be, as Stalin's atheism did for him.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#202666 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you won't mind if I don't take your word for it, particularly since you can't even get the acronym right.
I realize that a typo negates reality and truth for you.

ROFLMAO

Enjoy your bear death experiences. Auto-erotic asphyxiation is probably the extent of your research.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202667 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Soft hearted huh? Fecking drongo.
Stop trying to make me a God. Im but a man. Just a funny kind loving handsome tall man.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#202668 Jan 14, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
The atheist can't find God for the same reason that a thief can't find a police officer.
Except for the fact that a thief can pick up the phone and call a cop. And talk to a cop. And hear a cop. And tell a cop where he is. And meet a cop.

You're horrible at analogies.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202669 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Backwards. Trapped in the dark ages. I live in the 21st Century.
you live in the backwoods of OZ. You are not as wordly as you think

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#202670 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
I think that you have too narrow a view of what infinite means. You seem to be limiting it to infinitely many many material objects or infinitely massive objects. Such things might not exist, although we cannot rule out the possibility that there are infinitely many universes containing an infinite number of stars and galaxies by fiat.
Infinite just means unbounded, and also includes the infinitely small as well as the infinitely long both in terms of duration and distance. You like to mock the concept of a circular path being unbounded, but the simple fact is that is, even if one can be fashioned using a finite amount of asphalt or donut batter. Your objection came in the form of saying that no number of laps around such a path was an infinite distance, and that is correct, but the path is infinite.
Why is this an issue? You seem to care about it a lot.
Yes, if you do not limit infinity to material, or physical reality, you can have all the infinities you want.

That has been my position from the start.

We can imagine infinite "paths", infinite "sets", etc. They exist nowhere.

It is an imaginary idea. When we shift to the physical realm, it is impossible, because if we discover something physical, we can begin to quantify it, and it can never be beyond finite.

The Borderland of Sol

#202671 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Engle v. Vitale, 1962
Abington v. Schempp, 1963 (Bible reading)
Commissioner of Education v. School Committee of Leyden, 1971
Justice Stewart, dissenting in Engle:
"With all respect, I think the Court has misapplied a great constitutional principle. I cannot see how an 'official religion' is established by letting those who want to say a prayer say it. On the contrary, I think that to deny the wish of the school children to join in reciting this prayer is to deny them the opportunity of sharing in the spiritual heritage of our Nation... We deal here not with the establishment of a state church..."
*sigh*

Buck, you should read your own references.

Engle vs Vitale declared unconstitutional a Govenment-authored mandatory prayer, school-led, at the beginning of each school day.

Here it is: "Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon Thee, and we beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our country. Amen."

This was, of course, at the height of the Red Scare hoax.

Abington v. Schempp struck down a Pennsylvania law requiring all students " [T]o hear and sometimes read portions of the Bible as part of their public school education." That law (24 Pa. Stat. 15-1516, as amended, Pub. Law 1928) required that "[a]t least ten verses from the Holy Bible [be] read, without comment, at the opening of each public school on each school day."

The key word in my earlier post was "voluntary" - and you know it.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#202672 Jan 14, 2014
Toby wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare likes to call everyone a sissy, our anti-anal crusader is overcompensating for something, and we can guess what it is. Debating about Biblical scripture is like debating about invisible men or celestial vacuum cleaners, who every really thought religion was authenticated or credible in the first place? What a bufoon
Ah, never a reasoned response from the gay troll.

Smile.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#202673 Jan 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> you live in the backwoods of OZ. You are not as wordly as you think
"wordly" ??????

Lol.
Don't mess with the Aussies loser.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#202674 Jan 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Redman's Law. Already answered comprehensively.
I'm not familiar with the firm. Are they in the phonebook?

Were you drunk when you typed this?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202675 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
That's your interpretation.
I think I'm honest, intelligent, and an overall cool guy.
When I read this, I hear Dr Evil (Mike Myers ).....

"I'm a cool guy."

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#202676 Jan 14, 2014
Locoman67 wrote:
And swearing on the bible in court.......where's the separation of church and state?
Haven't you heard? It's in the Constitution.

It's right next to The Right to Privacy.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#202677 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well there ya go, that's the fun of being a Bible apologist, ain't it? You look long enough you can always find a translation that, well, doesn't necessarily contradict the point, but greases it up just enough for a swine to wiggle around, don't it?
New International Version
the priest shall go out the doorway of the house and close it up for seven days.
King James Bible
Then the priest shall go out of the house to the door of the house, and shut up the house seven days:
International Standard Version
The priest is to leave through the entrance to the house and seal the house for seven days.
American Standard Version
then the priest shall go out of the house to the door of the house, and shut up the house seven days.
Young's Literal Translation
and the priest hath gone out of the house unto the opening of the house, and hath shut up the house seven days.
Hebrew Lexicon
cagar (saw-gar')
to shut up; figuratively, to surrender -- close up, deliver (up), give over (up), inclose, pure, repair, shut, stop.
So, yeah, you're showing your ass now. What's your "strategery", George, wear 'em out with denial and distraction?
I see your "Moses Meets The Aliens" comedy sketch is goin' over like a lead balloon too. Don't get discouraged, there's scads of websites with that very theme, so I'm sure you can find an alien rapturist group that'll lap it up.
Well there you go again.

I used the translation I always use because it is considered the most accurate.

I also included a mocking comment about glass windows because the homes of the time were very open to ventilation.

All of this ignores the awareness of the Law giver to principles of germs and fungus. You would be wise to read the site I posted about the Jews during the Black Plague and how the Law protected them.

I see you atheists still have no reasoned explanation for the radiation event. Want to try shellfish instead?

Smile.

The Borderland of Sol

#202678 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have participated in several murder prosecutions in which the defendant explained that he killed because God told him to, and psychological assessments confirmed the defendants' belief they were acting on God's istructions.
Were these defendants murdering in the name of God?
Or were they insane?
What do you think?
Well, they believed it.

Just like every other believer.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202679 Jan 14, 2014
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
"wordly" ??????
Lol.
Don't mess with the Aussies loser.
you probably drink fosters

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202680 Jan 14, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Old meat (I think it was) was placed in two containers. One was sealed, and the other was open to the air. Maggots appeared only on the one exposed to the environment, and not on the sealed meat, thus evidencing the notion that maggots can't just appear from meat.
Again, you're ignoring or missing the point. Like I just said, questioning modern theories because ancient philosophers, not scientists, were wrong about some things is as asinine as thinking the world might be a square because we used to think it was flat. If you have a problem with a theory, criticize the theory, not the work of ancient philosophers. Obviously people have believed some things that aren't true, and obviously we don't know everything today. The nice thing about the scientific method is that it allows us to correct those errors. Do you know of another methodology that is better at producing results? If so, share it.
Spontaneous generation has never been falsified as it's never been observed. It's merely an obsolete body of thought.

I thought you knew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min marlboro man 79,908
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 2 hr blacklagoon 3 59
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web