Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239337 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#201760 Jan 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Who am I jealous of, Dave? You?
I am not disappointed with my life at all, never considered myself a god, and do not consider myself displaced. I'm right where I want to be.
Also, I am not disappointed. There is nothing in this world that I lack and desire, and no other life that I would rather be living. I am grateful for what I have, most of which cannot be purchased at any price.
The things that I want are things that I want for others.
What are you grateful to, IANS? Why would you need to be grateful?

You mentioned before about as a doctor they treated you like a god.

You fell a long ways, IANS.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#201761 Jan 11, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I don't think I marginalized theists. I was trying to describe the nature of the gulf between faith based thought and evidence based thought given that faith based claims have no effect on evidence based thinkers and vice versa, and why these calls for proof from the faithful are pointless. Do you disagree?
Faith based thought includes atheism since atheism cannot be proven to be objectively true. I don't know what you find so hard to understand about that. Your atheism assumes no God. It assumes no soul in humans. It assumes rights derive from men and not God. It assumes no ultimate accountability to God. You yourself marginalize the Declaration of Independence ignoring the fact the document itself separated the United States from Great Britian. It was a document of Revolution.
And "faith based thinker" is a category. Do you disagree with that?
Just use Theists.
Calling evidence based thought "faith" is a way of saying that they are the same thing. Do you think they are?
I'm proud to be an evidence based thinker, which is why I want to emphasize the distinction between it and faith based thought. If you believe that faith is a more superior way of thinking than skepticism, shouldn't you be waving your faith flag proudly and emphasizing the distinction yourself rather than calling unbelief another form of faith?
If you derive at your atheism based on the evidence then you should be able to make your case for atheism based on the evidence. So far all we see is you running vilifying Theists, stating things like churches are worthless, even implying they should be burned down. You like to frame the argument as faith based thinkers vs. rational skeptics. All that ignores the fact you cannot prove any of what you assume to be true. Claiming to be an evidence based thinker is nothing more than chest thumping and self promotion. When it comes to God your so called open mind slams shut.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#201762 Jan 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
t no one, including you, have the courage, intelligence or manners to simply answer a question. Smile.
What question is that? This one following Exodus 33:18-23 and Exodus 34:29-35 (NASB)?

"Please explain how a accurate description of radiation's danger, affect and protection appeared in a story about a Alien visiting humans in a fiction book written by numerous authors, distorted by time and translation occurred."

I didn't think that needed another response, but if you'd like one, here it is: That's not an accurate description of "radiation's danger." People don't glow from radiation exposure. They get headachy and nauseated, become weak and dizzy, vomit blood, develop bloody diarrhea, lose their hair, develop rashes, develop bone marrow problems like leukemias and aplastic anemia, and often die.

The bible get's almost no science right.

Location hidden

#201763 Jan 11, 2014

Besides, I'm afraid that the genie's out of the bottle on this issue. Have you read the Wedge Document? It explains what the purpose of the ID movement is, which is to effect a pro-Christian social and political agenda, not to discover the hidden secrets of the physical universe. That's why it's considered pseudoscience - something being offered as science that is not science. Science has no political or social agenda.
More on the Wedge Document.

http://www.discovery.org/a/2735

----------

Discovery Institute and "Theocracy".
Overview: Periodically certain Darwinists make false and unsubstantiated claims that Discovery Institute advocates “theocracy” or is part of the “radical Christian right” or supposedly supports something called “Christian reconstructionism.” These charges are little more than smears, and they show the bankruptcy of the Darwinists’ own position. Rather than argue about the substance of the scientific debate over neo-Darwinism, all Darwinists can do is engage in baseless ad hominem attacks.

The “Wedge Document”: How Darwinist Paranoia Fueled an Urban Legend.
Overview: In 1999 someone posted on the internet an early fundraising proposal for Discovery Institute’s Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture. Dubbed the “Wedge Document,” this proposal soon took on a life of its own, popping up in all sorts of places and eventually spawning what can only be called a giant urban legend. Among true-believers on the Darwinist fringe the document came to be viewed as evidence for a secret conspiracy to fuse religion with science and impose a theocracy. These claims were so outlandish that for a long time we simply ignored them. But because some credulous Darwinists seem willing to believe almost anything, we decided we should set the record straight. For a more detailed response please read "The Wedge Document: So What?".

Fennario

#201764 Jan 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Wow, I respond to projecting, and you label the response a projection. But to top that off, you return to projection! LOL, too funny. And all this to simply avoid answering a question that exposes the denial and deceit of atheism. Smile.
What?

Fennario

#201765 Jan 11, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You seem stressed, Dave. When is the last time you had sex with a person other than yourself? For the price of a carton of cigarettes you could probably buy a BJ.
Cigarettes or a hummer - hmmm.

That reminds me of this Jack Benny gag. Benny was known for his cheapness, at least that was his act. Here's the gag:
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#201766 Jan 11, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure wish someone would tell me where all these atheist churches and organizations are that you are talking about.
Based on the rantings of the theists here, 3% of the population (atheists) have more power than God.
One can speak awfully bold when they summit the top of the mountain. It’s all together a different tune when the climber slips, falls and is hanging on a ledge by his fingernails.

Location hidden

#201767 Jan 11, 2014
Does intelligent design provide a plausible account of life’s origins?

http://spectator.org/articles/57159/does-inte...

----------

According to neo-Darwinian theory, new genetic information arises first as random mutations occur in the DNA of existing organisms. When mutations arise that confer a survival advantage, the resulting genetic changes are passed on to the next generation. As such changes accumulate, the features of a population change over time. Nevertheless, natural selection can only “select” what random mutations first generate. Thus the neo-Darwinian mechanism faces a kind of needle-in-the-haystack problem—or what mathematicians call a “combinatorial” problem. The term “combinatorial” refers to the number of possible ways that a set of objects can be arranged or combined. Many simple bike locks, for example, have four dials with 10 digits on each dial. A bike thief encountering one of these locks faces a combinatorial problem because there are 10 × 10 × 10 × 10, or 10,000 possible combinations and only one that will open the lock. A random search is unlikely to yield the correct combination unless the thief has plenty of time.

Similarly, it is extremely difficult to assemble a new information-bearing gene or protein by the natural selection/random mutation process because of the sheer number of possible sequences. As the length of the required g
Bongo

Coram, NY

#201768 Jan 11, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's your answer?
As a businessman, I'm sure that you recognize that when you start getting answers like that one, you're getting the runaround.
surely you jest. Spiritual things are freely given and there is no price or good deed you can ever do to earn salvation. Some business model eh? Oh, and the greatest is actually the least.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#201769 Jan 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you talking about?
I would be interested in your story. The whole story if it were possible for you to tell. But you won’t tell the whole story.

You see there’s more under the surface than what’s seen on top of the water.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#201770 Jan 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Cigarettes or a hummer - hmmm.
That reminds me of this Jack Benny gag. Benny was known for his cheapness, at least that was his act. Here's the gag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-tVzdUczMT0XX
Cigarettes, the cheap ones, are $34 a carton here. The pleasure lasts a few days.

A hummer doesn't.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#201771 Jan 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Do you think so? I would be surprised. I think you underestimate the power of faith in the face of any evidence. In my opinion, if there actually were a race of gods, that they came to earth to present themselves to us and show mankind that all existing religions are wrong, and then did magic including walking on water and raising the dead, the most faithful would simply reject them as Satan's demons.
There is no possible evidence that will overcome faith. The faithful ask for it, but the request is insincere, if for no other reason than the fact that we know that they do not need evidence to believe, and don't accept evidence that contradicts the articles of faith.
Its only an average of approx.. 25 thousand days and everyone finds out the mystery. Some of us are get closer, oh joy

Fennario

#201772 Jan 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Wedge Document is propaganda supporting Darwin Evos or neo Darwinists.
That is incorrect. You should read it.

Fennario

#201773 Jan 11, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Time can't exist unless you have something ticking away to mark it. That can only arise with motion, or what we call transversing distance. You can measure a star passing across your view and you have time to measure. You can gaze into nothingness and the only time that exists will be the ticks of the motions within your mind. Take away your mind and any other motion and time ceases. You flat just don't exist. But you do. You understand it being the result of a universe set into motion. So you exist and can contemplate it. That setting into motion is the real trick. In your experience here nothing moves unless something caused it to move.
This reminds me of some lyrics:

You got to deep-six your wristwatch, you got to try and understand,
The time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#201774 Jan 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Its only an average of approx.. 25 thousand days and everyone finds out the mystery. Some of us are get closer, oh joy
I never saw a mystery in dead people. In the morgue, they never moved unless I moved them. When I left them in a certain place they were always there waiting when I checked. Of course, some left and some entered when I was off shift.

C'est la vie

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#201775 Jan 11, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you talking about?
You'll have to forgive Clearwater.

He's had a tough life, and as a result he's a wallower.

Fennario

#201776 Jan 11, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
What are you grateful to, IANS?
Grateful in the intransitive sense - no object is necessary.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Why would you need to be grateful?
I don't need to be.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You mentioned before about as a doctor they treated you like a god.
Your words, not mine.
Dave Nelson wrote:
.You fell a long ways, IANS.
I've had a good life, but never been better than now. How about you?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#201777 Jan 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Faith based thought includes atheism since atheism cannot be proven to be objectively true. I don't know what you find so hard to understand about that. Your atheism assumes no God. It assumes no soul in humans. It assumes rights derive from men and not God. It assumes no ultimate accountability to God. You yourself marginalize the Declaration of Independence ignoring the fact the document itself separated the United States from Great Britian. It was a document of Revolution.
<quoted text> Just use Theists.
<quoted text> If you derive at your atheism based on the evidence then you should be able to make your case for atheism based on the evidence. So far all we see is you running vilifying Theists, stating things like churches are worthless, even implying they should be burned down. You like to frame the argument as faith based thinkers vs. rational skeptics. All that ignores the fact you cannot prove any of what you assume to be true. Claiming to be an evidence based thinker is nothing more than chest thumping and self promotion. When it comes to God your so called open mind slams shut.
Yeah, mine does too.

My mind shuts down when it comes to anything supernatural--gods, ghosts, witchcraft, astrology, seers, Santa Claus, hexes, black cats crossing, fairies, all that stuff.

To me, all these concepts are silly.

I really don't even give the supernatural a second though, other than to observe others' takes on it.

It's just the way I am I guess. I don't remember ever thinking that there's a god, even as a child.
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#201778 Jan 11, 2014
We knew you would have all the answers. How about this one? Did dinosaurs come equipped with saddles or did the flintstones come up with that idea?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#201779 Jan 11, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I never saw a mystery in dead people. In the morgue, they never moved unless I moved them. When I left them in a certain place they were always there waiting when I checked. Of course, some left and some entered when I was off shift.
C'est la vie
Your spirit moves on. I suppose many will be surprised its not just lights out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 min woodtick57 7,452
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr thetruth 120
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr thetruth 19,061
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 3 hr thetruth 7,497
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 2,202
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 6 hr geezerjock 1
Reason is the root of mental illness!!! 12 hr Thinking 3
More from around the web