Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#201453 Jan 10, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So once you've fully convinced yourself that you're a piece of crap, only then can you pray to the god who made the laws that you used to convince yourself that you're a piece of crap in the hopes that the god will forgive you for being a piece of crap.
Charming religion.
No ma'am. I don't consider acknowledging that I sin as equal to I am a piece of crap.

Why do you?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201454 Jan 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. what is the purpose of posting the 10 Commandments on courthouse walls or in classrooms? Is it religious in nature ??..
.. why post the Commandments on public property? If they had nothing to do with Abrahamic religions, would you still be upset ??..
.. what does the 1st Commandment promote ??..
FIRST COMMANDMENT
1. I am the Lord, your God.
2. Thou shall bring no false idols before me.
3. Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
.. how about 'In God We Trust" or "under God?" ..
<quoted text>
.. exactly, that would violate the establishment clause. No specific belief or unbelief can be endorsed or promoted on a federal level ..
<quoted text>
.. Utah's majority is Mormon. Should a statue of Moroni be placed atop all courthouses ??..
.. are you missing the point ??..
Majority rules, baby. If the people of Utah want a statue of Moroni on their courthouses, then that's what they should get.

That's the beautiful thing about how our founding fathers set up our government. The government has NO RIGHT to tell the people they can't have it.

Besides, it's more than likely that most of the folks in the Utah courthouses are Mormon, too. Why would they fight it?

The whole notion of no religion in government areas has absolutely nothing to do with our Constitution or our government.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#201455 Jan 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was a Christian. You and Buck lie about that. That makes you Christians.
Yep, just like a dog is a cat. We understand.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#201456 Jan 10, 2014
.. Dave, your response fails to address any of the questions in my post ..
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the alleged freedoms in the United States is the right to live in a community of your choice. If the community wants a statue of Moroni, why not? The voters can always change it.
.. because we are the UNITED States of America, a Democratic Republic. Imagine traveling to a lewd and lascivious community where citizens made the laws and child molestation was allowed. It wouldn't work for you, correct ??..
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You wish to subjugate everyone underneath your phobias and beliefs, and of the crazies and eccentrics. You wish to let chaos rule. Chaos only destroys.
.. what is wrong with you today? I have no desire, nor do I have the right, to subjugate anyone unless they agree to my particular brand of subjugation ..

.. are you trying to consent to the HL scarf experience in your own peculiar way ??..

.. chaos rules when the rights of others are ignored ..
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It is a power grab via poisoning society, but you won't see it that way. You see it as a change for the better because it suits YOU, and your future masters of thinking. Why can't you understand that?
.. understand what? That removing the 10 Commandments from court walls is a power grab? If so, in what way ??..
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Utah did very well under the Mormons. Why should they sacrifice their guiding lights for yours?
.. you probably know very little about Mormon history, the suffering of pioneers caused by The Principle, the Danite vigilantes or the Mountain Meadows massacre caused by the theocracy of Brigham Young ..

.. after you do your homework, I'll be glad to debate the reasons why UT is one of the few fiscally responsible states with high living standards ..

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#201457 Jan 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
An example of what I am describing from the nonbiological world ...an archway. With an arch, remove any one of its stones and the whole thing comes tumbling down. The system is irreducible. Remove one part and whole fails. But was it always that way? No. At the start, it was a wooden frame filling the opening in the arch. This did not function as an arch, but as a support for stones. One by one the stones were added until the keystone is placed on top. After that, the wooden frame is removed. Note that its removal does not cause the arch to fail. What is left is the stone arch which is NOW irreducible. But as noted, it wasn't always irreducible.
Good illustration.

With Established Harem

#201458 Jan 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. some posters claim the U.S. is a Christian nation. If that's true, why didn't our forefathers establish Christianity as the national religion ??.....

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#201459 Jan 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was teaching calc 2, and we were doing parametrization of paths, I would set my students the problem of calculating the Sun's gravitational force on the Earth. I allowed them to assume a circular orbit with radius 93,000,000 miles...not too far off the truth, and it simplifies the problem a LOT.
The answer comes out to several billion miles per year squared. Sounds like a LOT. Until you do the unit conversions. Works out to about 0.03 feet per second squared...or right at 1/1000 of a G (G being 32 ft/s/s...the surface gravity of the Earth).
They were actually somewhat stunned by how small it is. But the Sun is tugging at us the whole year and over a year that tiny acceleration adds up. A lot.
There is no way you ever taught calculus.

You couldn't teach a cat to lick its ass.

Well,...maybe. If you did flexibility exercises.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#201460 Jan 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No ma'am. I don't consider acknowledging that I sin as equal to I am a piece of crap.
Why do you?
I don't acknowledge sin, so I'm not sure why you're asking...

With Established Harem

#201461 Jan 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think a state's Constitution should be allowed to be posted in schools for students to read? How about in courthouses?
Or are state constitutions unconstitutional?
Here is the Kentucky's Constitution preamble:
"We, the people of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties we enjoy, and invoking the continuance of these blessings, do ordain and establish this Constitution." -August 3, 1891
You must realize, of course, this is a prayer. It gives thanks to God, then asks something of God.
Can Kentucky school children be allowed to read this?
It was ratified 102 years after the establishment clause.
.. I graciously pass your question onto Catcher ..

.. where do state's rights begin and end ??..

CATCHER ??

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201462 Jan 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, according to BenAssFucked and Christine Stalin, IANS is a Christian.
He's going to shit when he gets the news.
Lol

I hope he's ok with it.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#201463 Jan 10, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand that aspect of Buck, either. He agrees with many of the rest of us about the problems with Christian theology and the Christian church, rejects Christianity, and then argues in a way that promotes it, as with his siding with Barton who seems to want to see an erosion of church-state separation. Does Buck not know where that argument will take the nation if successful? He won't like the outcome any more than any other non-Christian.
What about it, Buck? Why do you side with the enemies of church-state separation? It protects you from Christian theocracy.
The argument I offer is ontological.

Not what ought to be, but what is.

American history and the Constitution are what they are.

Barton and I are truthful about it. But there is no danger it will be a prevailing view.

Liberal revisionists have an iron grip on academia, the legal profession, and the courts.

So no need to sweat, I-man.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#201464 Jan 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
So far, there is o (zero) evidence of abiogenesis.
How do you account for the fact that so many professional scientists and those involved in funding their research in this area not only disagree that there is zero evidence, but assume that it is very likely to be the case?. Are they all blind, or might you be overstating the case?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#201465 Jan 10, 2014
<quoted text>

Good illustration.
Yes, it is a good illustration.

But it flatly contradicts the Darwinian model of evolution.

I don't think that's what he had in mind.

With Established Harem

#201466 Jan 10, 2014
.. what is the purpose of posting the 10 Commandments on courthouse walls or in classrooms? Is it religious in nature ??..
.. why post the Commandments on public property? If they had nothing to do with Abrahamic religions, would you still be upset ??..
.. what does the 1st Commandment promote ??..
FIRST COMMANDMENT
1. I am the Lord, your God.
2. Thou shall bring no false idols before me.
3. Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
.. how about 'In God We Trust" or "under God?" ..
<quoted text>
.. exactly, that would violate the establishment clause. No specific belief or unbelief can be endorsed or promoted on a federal level ..
<quoted text>
.. Utah's majority is Mormon. Should a statue of Moroni be placed atop all courthouses ??..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Majority rules, baby. If the people of Utah want a statue of Moroni on their courthouses, then that's what they should get.
That's the beautiful thing about how our founding fathers set up our government. The government has NO RIGHT to tell the people they can't have it.
Besides, it's more than likely that most of the folks in the Utah courthouses are Mormon, too. Why would they fight it?
The whole notion of no religion in government areas has absolutely nothing to do with our Constitution or our government.
.. neither you, Buck nor Dave have answered any of my questions regarding the First Commandment ..

.. why ??..

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201467 Jan 10, 2014
Just Think wrote:
I don't acknowledge sin, so I'm not sure why you're asking...
I didn't ask if you acknowledge sin.

I asked why you think acknowledging sin is equal to being a piece of crap.

Why do you think that way?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201468 Jan 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I graciously pass your question onto Catcher ..
.. where do state's rights begin and end ??..
CATCHER ??
He's at the Jim.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201469 Jan 10, 2014
<quoted text>
How do you account for the fact that so many professional scientists and those involved in funding their research in this area not only disagree that there is zero evidence, but assume that it is very likely to be the case?. Are they all blind, or might you be overstating the case?
Maybe you can enlighten us, open our eyes a little.

Please share this elusive evidence of abiogenesis.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#201470 Jan 10, 2014
<quoted text>
No, they are not blind. But they are in search of evidence for a conclusion they already hold.

They are trying to create data that fits the hypothesis.

That seems backwards.

There is no evidence abiogenesis has ever occurred.

The attempts to prove so have been woeful.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201471 Jan 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. that works ..
Thanks, I just had it polished.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#201472 Jan 10, 2014
<quoted text>
I understand. What else can you do with cognitive dissonance continually roaring like white noise in a seashell? What makes us different from those that don't have that experience, and who just go on believing without difficulty what we find unbelievable? Do they not hear the rational mind's warnings? Is it sending no dissonant or dysphoric message, or is it weak enough that it can be ignored?
wow dagwood tested God 2 whole years and you a few years. How long did Sara and Abe wait to have a decendant? God speaks in a still small voice, you have to be real still and quiet to hear it. Those people of faith that you think are flawed , aren't. They have something quite valuable. They have evidence too but its mostly intangible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min eggosaurus 94,144
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 1 hr blacklagoon 3 138
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 15 dollarsbill 5
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971