Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#201048 Jan 9, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
https://www.vocativ.com/01-201 4/hash-oils-trail-seared-skin- annihilated-homes/
I forget which drug that was where they used ether to make it and blew houses up fairly regularly. Crack?
I can't look it up. It's a violation of my parole.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#201049 Jan 9, 2014
Jim wrote:
Well duh,
Peace.
Well that didn't take long for some dumb atheist to cherry pick my post.

I thought it'd be Ben first, though.....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201050 Jan 9, 2014
Jim wrote:
Creationist psychobbable from an idiot who thinks the earth is 3000 years old.
What creationist thinks the earth is 3,000 years old?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#201051 Jan 9, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
For one, the cockroach fossil is not the same as today's cockroaches. Similar, yes, but not the same.
For two, cockroaches are incredibly well adapted for their niche. And that niche has changed very little over a very long time. Without the selective pressure caused by a changing environment, little change will occur in a species...since it is already well adapted.
Pointing to a single example isn't going to discredit the theory of evolution unless you bring a whole lot more to the table. In the same 49 million years, a semi-aquatic hoofed shore predator has become the whales and dolphins we see today. With whales, their niche changed radically and the lineage changed radically along with it.
In fact, all mammal species have changed radically over the last 65 million years. The extinction of the dinosaurs changed the equation for mammals. At the end of the Cretaceous mammals were small nocturnal shrew-like animals. Then, without the competition of the dinosaurs, they were able exploit a vast range of new environments, diversifying into what we see today.
Thank you, I realize you are very sincere in your post.

But a hoofed animal jumping over a creek and turning into a whale is a phenomenal stretch of the imagination beyond the spheres of faith. No offense meant here, but damn ya’ll will believe anything associated with evolution.

Sure I believe in some evolutionary changes except when it involves the outrageous and ridiculous speculations by evolutionist.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#201052 Jan 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sure.
Teach me how fish grow legs.
And all that that entails.
Are you referring to the Mexican Walking Fish?

I'm not familiar with the maturation process of that particular species.

Since we're talking about evolution, I'll assume that you are using the word "grow" by mistake. The earliest land dwellers adapted to life on land very slowly and gradually. For a long time, the "fish" lived in the water, but had to traverse on land to procreate or give birth or find food or escape predators or whatever else was needed. Eventually they transitioned from living mostly in water to mostly on land. More time, more changes in their environment, and eventually they lived only on land. Some of those land dwellers eventually transitioned back into an aquatic environment, but they didn't just turn back into fish.

Individuals born with differences that benefit their survival are able to procreate more often, which enables them to pass on some specific traits to future generations. Environmental pressure helps to direct which changes are carried on. Natural selection filters out the changes that don't benefit continuation of the species.

Location hidden

#201053 Jan 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Where would they even start?
"Life came from something, we're not sure what but we're positive it wasn't God. So we're gonna go off of that premise and assume life started spontaneously then tell you how it evolved from muck to man."
~sniggers
You're mocking yourself, but I don't have a problem with that.

This is how you appear to most of us:

"Can you believe all these people with their crazy notions about a round Earth? They're just afraid they're gonna fall off the edge! They should just stay clear of the boundary like a sane person."

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#201054 Jan 9, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
Nope it does not matter to me, the fact that he was a murdered does.
Oh, they were, I though your knew – I only mention Hitler and Stalin (and others) because people like you deny the documented facts so vehemently
Oh I get it, you are christian so you get the choice for who is and who isn’t christian – right?
Hitler was baptised Catholic
Stalin was baptised Orthodox Greek
Hitler built his strength and did what his did using christina pri9ncipals
Stalin opted out for a while (could be a bit of hypocrisy there) then returned to the fold.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha!!!
"he was a murdered"
HA HA HA!!!!
I'll I rightly ignore the rest of your nonsense.
"I'll I rightly"...

???

Happens to the best of us...but isn't it a bitch when it happens to us while we are pointing out when it happens to others.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#201055 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't look it up. It's a violation of my parole.
Back in the 80's and 90's houses would be rented in nice neighborhoods to avoid detection that would explode one day making that stuff. Large booms. It may have been just cocaine.

http://articles.philly.com/1986-07-20/news/26...

Miami was an adventurous place to live back then.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201056 Jan 9, 2014
Woman: "How can I make you love me?"

Man: "Laser vaginoplasty."

Woman: "You want me to get laser surgery on my vagina?!"

Man: "Well, ya. Lasers and vaginas are my two favorite things."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201057 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we're talking about evolution, I'll assume that you are using the word "grow" by mistake. The earliest land dwellers adapted to life on land very slowly and gradually. For a long time, the "fish" lived in the water, but had to traverse on land to procreate or give birth or find food or escape predators or whatever else was needed. Eventually they transitioned from living mostly in water to mostly on land. More time, more changes in their environment, and eventually they lived only on land. Some of those land dwellers eventually transitioned back into an aquatic environment, but they didn't just turn back into fish.
Individuals born with differences that benefit their survival are able to procreate more often, which enables them to pass on some specific traits to future generations. Environmental pressure helps to direct which changes are carried on. Natural selection filters out the changes that don't benefit continuation of the species.
Yessir, I know this.

Do you understand the imagination it takes to fully comprehend the many differences in fish and mammals? It wasn't just legs the fish had to grow, but an entirely different body. Different eyes, skin, organs, bones, hair, etc.

The fish had already supposedly evolved from 'lesser' organisms into fish. Why? You say it's to benefit their survival. Ok, I'll go with that.

But why, then, did the fish bother getting on land? What's the point? They obviously have it good in the ocean...

Also, after some of the fish grew land living bodies, why did some of them decide to go back to the ocean and regrow only part of their fishie bodies? What evolutionary sense does it make for whales to have lungs and pelvic bones? That doesn't seem to be an advantage for a water living creature.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#201058 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If you need to go somewhere, I'd suggest a library, unless school is an option.
It would be wise to take advantage of the resources available in this very thread. Several people here are capable of teaching the basics of evolution to those willing and able to learn. Occasionally we even have experts.
Yes, I have seen those experts.

I proved to them using mathematics and population genetics that the current Darwinian whale sequence is impossible.

They tried to convince me that random mutations are not random, and that genetic variants survive because they are fittest, and they are fittest because they survive.

And they also taught me that organisms that do not survive cannot reproduce.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#201059 Jan 9, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually if the atheist was consistent with his disbelief he would not waste time doing good. It does not ultimately matter and its a waste his resources.
So the only thing keeping you from being a sociopath is your belief in a deity?

Scary...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201060 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
axolotl

That's an amphibian, not a fish.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201061 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
"Can you believe all these people with their crazy notions about a round Earth? They're just afraid they're gonna fall off the edge! They should just stay clear of the boundary like a sane person."
*slaps knee*

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#201062 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting.

Does this process have limits?

How did a mammal like the land-dwelling whale precursor develop the organ systems that only work underwater in an incremental fashion, while living on land, since without the systems developed fully, it could not live and reproduce as strictly aquatic? What advantage to be selected existed for the aquatic systems?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Into this world we're thrown

#201063 Jan 9, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I personally believe the timing and the time has a lot to do with it with a lot of people.
Often people who don't believe will wait to seek out God until a situation is desperate. They are quite literally hoping for a miracle and have decided to seek only because they are out of options. But with most people there is not an epiphany or like with Paul, a blinding light. Developing a relationship with God takes time, as does any relationship. But this one even more so because of the unique nature of it. And when the problems that made someone desperate enough to seek don't just go away, they give up on the relationship because they are convinced their prayers were not heard or God doesn't exist.
I don't say that as a criticism of anybody. I think it's a normal reaction. But for me anyway, I found God not in the solution but in the effort. In trying to find inner strength that had been depleted and in trying to do the right thing is where I found God and the belief in how it is explained in the Footprints poem
I still had to take my lumps. It was a long, hard, tiring process. The miracle wasn't that the problems went away but that He helped me make it through them. It was in that process I re-connected with God
Just how one person looks at it anyway
(T) Peace
Hey Skom, I dont disagree with what you say to much.

But where I am a little unique to your theory is I always believed in God. I prayed for understanding of his word and was very honest with where I was in that relationship with him. I worked VERY hard at it. All I can tell you is I'm at where I'm at today, only asking for Gods sincere guidance.

#201064 Jan 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more likely that it's been misunderstood by millions.
It's an individual supplication that is only brought forth through patience and obedience.
Give it time, God's in no rush.
I spent over 45 years developing that relationship. If thats not enough patience to bad for me I guess..........

Oh well, I heard the girls are pretty in hell..........

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#201065 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Round or flat, that doesn't get you around the problem of you being alive because of mud and lightning.

#201066 Jan 9, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
pot/kettle/laughable
Hey Lucy, I got a poll goin on another thread. I'm givin odds on when your going to turn back into a christian. I know the trigger, I just cant figure out the date. I have to give it a little more thought. I do know its just a matter of time though since you have all the same character traits you claim the christians have.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#201068 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, you just mocked yourself with that strawman response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Science 83,138
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Sat Science 2,565
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web