Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258481 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#200984 Jan 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Alpo refuses to sell to them.
What can you do?
Say Uncle?
It's my observation that dogs just prefer people food.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#200985 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was not a Christian. He gave it up for Darwinism.
Joining Christine as a Hitler apologist, huh?
Good luck with that.
You are proof Christianity doesn't bestow knowledge or truth.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200986 Jan 9, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
God is a extreme God in that he couldn’t be satisfied with one or even a dozen stars. He made trillions upon trillions. He has this extreme personality which has two sides. A loving and compassionate side for his children. Then there’s the extreme judgmental side.
Notice how it's man and his understanding of the universe that defines the god, not the other way around. Begin with what bronze age man knew - that the world is a mysterious and often dangerous place that appears designed and appears to need somebody to run it - and what he hoped for - that somebody would be good to him. He defined his god accordingly - the two-sided personality you described that both loves him, but will also destroy him from time to time, which they attributed to harsh judgment..

With the passage of time, and as more becomes known about the universe, the god is adapted to it. Now that we know about evolution, we have such ideas as divinely guided evolution. Now that we know that there are trillions of stars and no vault over the heavens, the god transforms from a creature walking on that vault into one with an extreme personality that "couldn’t be satisfied with one or even a dozen stars" and "made trillions upon trillions" of them. But that is among those that still prefer faith to skepticism. The skeptics took an alternate path that led to atheism.

But deism is the natural result of mans first great scientific discovery - the clockwork universe.

Did you ever wonder why there were so many more deists relatively speaking in the late eighteenth century, just when the U.S. Constitution was being written, and not before or after? For example, you never hear of deist crusaders, deist pilgrims, or even a deist American colony.

The answer is that the Founders lived in the age following Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Bernoulli, Dalton, Avogadro, Boyle, Coulomb, Lavoisier, Volta, and the like - men who revealed that the universe worked like a giant, unmanned mechanism operating under regular, discernible, and comprehensible laws. This was the Founders' universe. The people of that era understood that the universe didn't need a god running its day to day affairs, and deism was born.

But atheism just wasn't realistic yet for people who still had no theory for the origins or the history of the universe. They still required a creator god to build the clockwork universe and set it in motion even if they no longer needed a god to run it. Accordingly, they redefined their god to conform to the universe they knew and understood.

Note that deism is halfway from theism to atheism.

Then came the second wave of scientists, beginning with the biologists from Darwin through Venter, and the cosmologists from Hubble to Hawking. They gave us the history of the universe and life from the time of the initial seed - the singularity in one case, and the first cell in the other - up to the present. The Theory of Evolution gave us the origin of the species as we find them, and the Big Bang gave us the evolution of the universe as we find it, non-supernatural hypotheses for cosmogenesis and abiogenesis arose. With these, atheism became tenable, and the god concept was no longer necessary for those who esteemed reason and evidence over faith..

So what became of the deists? The theists are still with us - why not deists. Deism never gained much traction since its not a way to control people or accumulate wealth. You don't need a church for a god that doesn't judge or require belief, worship, or prayer, so why give money to one in such a universe? With no organized church or government to promote deism, it never grew. It's where we would expect Christianity would have been without the help of power brokers like Constantine, the Roman Catholic Church, and kings claiming divine kingship, and without preachers trying to make a living. So, once atheism became tenable, the rational skeptics abandoned deism for atheism.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200987 Jan 9, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. See, this is why I don't bother w/topix anymore. You:
- don't address your unusual, original position
- don't back up your unusual, original position
- misuse the word evolution
- fail to understand how evolution applies to social animals
- say something stupid and offtrack about my emotions. I assume that's projection, since it doesn't fit at all.
Wait...wait...wait...Dave. Right. Enough said.
I'm glad you're well Dave :)
Thanks for telling us on Topix you don't bother with Topix.

And Dave used "evolution" properly.

The term is so amorphous in it's modern usage, I'm not sure there is any possible way to use it improperly.

Maybe if we said "it has wheels". Not sure.

Location hidden

#200988 Jan 9, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

So now you think he murdered people because he liked them?
No, that's your claim, Chrissy Stalin.

You claimed he rebuilt and rejuvenated the church.

I'm making fun of you. It's called "ridicule".

Look it up. It's under "r".

Bwahahahahahahah....

Location hidden

#200989 Jan 9, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
First, you're ignoring the role of economics, poverty and inequality entirely.
Second, you are failing, utterly, to consider how peoples outside of your culture are.
Third, you're projecting a Western, Christian and American cultural perspective onto the world. That's just thoughtless and ignorant. There really is nothing else to add. If you can't see beyond your own nose, you have nothing to say about global issues.
We know your take, Hiding.

Spread of HIV is unrelated to sexual activity.

It's caused by discrimination.

And anyone who suggest a linkage to sexual activity is projecting Christian values.

Got it.

I'm surprised you didn't go with Global Warming as the cause of AIDS.

At least that would involve science, instead of your rank bigotry.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200990 Jan 9, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Science is evidence of man curiosity. The desire to learn and probe the unknown. It has never proven there’s no God.
Agreed.

But it, mathematics, and pure reason have given us ample reason to reject the claims of others about gods.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I might add that Science in all it’s billions of dollars on research has never came to conclusive evidence how life started here on earth from sterile material.

[QUOTE who="Eagle 12"] There’s no signs of past life of any kind on Mars and it had water and sunlight.
It had more than that. It also had carbon, an atmosphere (to smooth out temperature differences between night and day), a rocky foundation (necessary for oceans and dry land), a magnetic field (to shelter the atmosphere from the solar wind and to shelter life from excessive radiation), and a relatively stable orbit - all thought necessary for life as we know it.

These suggests that it probably once had life on it if life exists wherever it can

What signs of life would you expect to find if microscopic life had been there billions of years ago, and you only robotic orbiters and rovers to investigate?
Eagle 12 wrote:
You would think they would at least find a beer can, empty shotgun shell or a pizza box, but nada.
Oh.

Location hidden

#200991 Jan 9, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing christianity with creationism
Why should belief in the early evolutionary theories block christian views?
The catholic church, comprising of the vast number of christians accepts evolution as compatible with religion. You do realise that at least technically you mother should be a christian who believes in evolutionary theory
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Hitler rejected Christianity entirely, no just creationism.

He embraced Darwinism as his motivating force. He killed for evolutionary purposes.

He wanted to cut out the middle man.

Location hidden

#200992 Jan 9, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Joseph Stalin was raised to be a Catholic Priest and I remain curious as to why his Christianity is shoved aside in all these arguments. Yes, there is no way to get around the fact that in his early career, Stalin made a vast effort to rid Russia of religion, but that had nothing to do with atheism. It was the only way he knew to seize power of the country.
For generations the entire populace of Russia had been taught that the head of state was supposed to be close to god. At the time in question, the head of the church in Russia was a tyrant. The Russians were already disposed to servility and all Stalin did was exploit these two facts, and place himself in the position of god. Once Stalin was firmly seated in office, he revived the Russian Orthodox Church in order to intensify patriotic support for the war effort. Stalin was part of a council convened to elected a new church Patriarch. Then the Russian theological schools were opened, and thousands of churches began to function. Even the Moscow Theological Academy Seminary was re-opened, after being closed since 1918.
So, while Stalin was no peach, he was not exactly what you would call a died-in-the-wool atheist. He was more a secular minded religious opportunist, which is a personal character trait. He did not use atheism to gain control, but religious principles that were modified to fit his own, sick and twisted method of revolution.
http://www.examiner.com/article/refuting-the-...
Nope, but you may have stubbed your toe
"So, while Stalin was no peach, he was not exactly what you would call a died-in-the-wool atheist. "

Bwahahahah...

He killed about 20 million religious believers in order to establish state Atheism!!!

What does a guy have to do in your book to be a "died-in-the-wool atheist"?

Kill 100 million for atheism? 200 million?

Bwahahahahaha...

You are so dumb, Chrissy Stalin, I truly pity you.

Location hidden

#200993 Jan 9, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin was a claimed atheist for a few years of his life because it was a convenient stance to take, he mass-murdered and persecuted people, including anyone who was against his nationalistic vision.
Once he has consolidated his power he dropped his atheist cloak and returned to his Christian roots
So would you call him the typical two faced christian
You made up each and every word of that.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#200994 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's your claim, Chrissy Stalin.
You claimed he rebuilt and rejuvenated the church.
I'm making fun of you. It's called "ridicule".
Look it up. It's under "r".
Bwahahahahahahah....
Nope, you said it, don’t try shifting you sh|t onto me. Here let me remind you
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...

Yes he did and it is documented, you want to argue with history then you need to spend some time at uni and earn the right

Well you know what happens when you try making fun of me don’t you?

#200995 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
Hitler rejected Christianity entirely, no just creationism.
He embraced Darwinism as his motivating force. He killed for evolutionary purposes.
He wanted to cut out the middle man.
Wrong - again

Location hidden

#200996 Jan 9, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Kim Jong Un's executed uncle was eaten alive by 120 hungry dogs: report, is North korea an atheist nation?
Yes.

But the question is whether the hungry dogs are atheists.

According to Topix definitions, the dogs are atheists.(having no belief)

Bongo, would you rather be eaten by an atheist dog or an atheist person?

Like, say, Chrissy Stalin?

Location hidden

#200997 Jan 9, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Were the dogs religious?
No, the dogs were atheists, according to the atheists on Topix - "having no belief".

Atheists can be vicious asses, huh?

But it's a lie. "Having no belief" is not atheism.

Dogs are not atheists. Their instincts are better than that.

#200998 Jan 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
K, I can't get past this part.
Are you sure you wanna run with that kind of statement and continue to call yourself intelligent?
Really?!
I did not write the OT but I am pretty sure Genesis 4.2-8 God's arbitrary preference of Abel's offering to that of Cain's provokes Cain to commit the first biblically recorded murder and kill his brother Abel.

Genesis 4:8 (KJV) And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

So yes. However perhaps you can offer an earlier one.

#201000 Jan 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
But the question is whether the hungry dogs are atheists.
According to Topix definitions, the dogs are atheists.(having no belief)
Bongo, would you rather be eaten by an atheist dog or an atheist person?
Like, say, Chrissy Stalin?
I’m pretty sure he would rather be eaten my me, he certainly indicates that as his fantasy and desire.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#201001 Jan 9, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
You haven't even read the first book?
Chris=MC2 said that the first recorded murder in history was in Genesis 4.

C'mon.....

Are you people really this ignorant?!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201002 Jan 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
It makes perfect sense if you understand natural selection.
Oh.

You have to ..'**believe**'..

“I have a brain,I try to use it”

Since: Jan 14

<3London<3 <3Denmark<3

#201003 Jan 9, 2014
I just realized how stupid this thread is
Let me be clear
ATHEISM REQUIRES NO FAITH AT ALL

Faith is reading the bible and saying "wow i agree, theres no evidence to support any of this but im a christian now ill take a leap of faith"
But atheism is looking at the facts and the evidence and realizing that god is stupid, and yes all of them , all 100,000+ gods that humans have come up with

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#201004 Jan 9, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
So the Bible is a pack of lies according to you or did you just never read it ?
M'kay, pumpkin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Into The Night 57,890
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 16 min St Elmos Fire 131
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 36 min Eagle 12 1,781
News The Atheist Delusion': Ray Comfort's Masterpiece (Jun '16) 3 hr Eagle 12 78
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... (Apr '16) 3 hr Eagle 12 160
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 3 hr Eagle 12 30
News Uyboco: An atheist who believes In God (Aug '16) 3 hr Eagle 12 4
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Ragmar 27,248
More from around the web