Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239434 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#200709 Jan 8, 2014
Buck, responding to ChristineM:
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a bald-faced liar.
Projection, much.
Buck Crick wrote:
Moron.
And yet more projection.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#200710 Jan 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
The spice must flow.
dogpile, tell me that quip about the rules, please, I need a laugh

#200711 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
If "faith is a guess" then almost all of what we know is a guess since it requires faith to do science and history.
You, as so many other theists, are conflating different meanings of the word "faith".

"Faith" in the context IANS used means "Belief without evidence", which I believe IANS pointed out.

The word "faith" as you try to use it in the context of science and history means "the evidence show that..."

I can say "I have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow." This is not an UN-evidenced faith but instead is a faith based on inductive logic since the sun has done so every day of my existence (and far far beyond that).

The faith that the sun will come up is a completely different animal from the faith you have in your imaginary friend.

#200712 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> dogpile, tell me that quip about the rules, please, I need a laugh
I see you have devolved into Buck's vileness.

I guess you theists like to stick together.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#200713 Jan 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Do those belief systems look so different? Same god and both the babble and the qoran are selective clones of the tanakh and teach the followers to bow down and worship the abrahamic god. All three abrahamic god books tanakh, OT and quran condone and teach genocide, child murder, slavery, rape, terrorism, torture, misogynism and abuse? I can give you babble verse numbers if you are not conversant with that good book but not well enough up on the tanakh and quran.
There is little difference between them other than personal expression in methods of worship
Another slight difference is that the quran is a little more straightforward about killing non believers aka infidels.

#200714 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Throckmorton is not just wrong, he's also lying.
I'm not letting this smear go. I'll spend enough time on it to prove Barton is dead solid right.
First, would it be beneficial, while observing this controversy about missionaries to Indians, to know that Throckmorton thinks is is abhorent to send Christian missionaries to Indians?
He does. And would it be logical that he would then persist that a hero, Jefferson, of the "separation of church and state" cabal would not support doing that?
From Throckmorton:
"...the federal government pushed Christianity on Native American tribes until early
in the 20th century. Native children were removed from their families in
elementary school and sent away to boarding schools, sometimes run by church
groups. They were forbidden to speak their language or follow their native
customs. Some recall harsh punishments if the rules were violated. Christian
Native Americans agree that the treatment was demeaning and offensive."
Throckmorton gets portrayed as a conservative evangelical. He is not. He departed his conservative roots and writes for the liberal Huffington Post and the ultra-liberal Salon. He has aligned himself with left-wing causes on gay rights, separation of church and state, and is praised regularly by George Soros-financed groups like "Right Wing Watch".
I will follow with the specifics on how Throckmorton mis-states the record on the Indian issue, and how Barton is right and he is wrong.
I see Buck is again engaging in ad hominem attacks. Buck thinks Throckmorton is wrong because "Throckmorton thinks is is abhorent to send Christian missionaries to Indians?"

Buck, this is a complete non sequitur as to whether Barton is right or not.

But this IS the sort of non-logic we have come to expect from you.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#200715 Jan 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you have devolved into Buck's vileness.
I guess you theists like to stick together.
don't be so adamant, you cant prove your claims

#200716 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!
Stalin killed Christians because they were Christians.
Just like Hitler killed Christians because they were Christians, and killed Jews because they were Jews.
Glad I could help.
Just another example of Buck's lack of understanding of history.

Just like his support of Barton is another example.

#200717 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull shit.
Stalin's goal was to make Russia an atheist state, free from religion.
It had EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ATHEISM.
"The state was committed to the destruction of religion,and destroyed churches, mosques and temples, ridiculed, harassed and executed religious leaders, flooded the schools and media with atheistic teachings, and generally promoted atheism as the truth that society should accept. The total number of Christian victims of Soviet state atheist policies, has been estimated to range between 12-20 millions."
Stalin killed Christians because they were Christians and he was an atheist.
BS, pure and simple.

#200718 Jan 8, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you learn Chrsitmath that 1+1+1 = 1
Then you can "prove" that 8 = 1
I will point out that 1+1+1=1 is true if you are using modulo 2 arithmetic.

But I do get your point. Christians start with false assumptions and this leads them to false conclusions.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#200719 Jan 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
But I do get your point. Christians start with false assumptions and this leads them to false conclusions.
And the atheist false assumption that there is no God?

That one gets a free pass, right?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200721 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Come clean, why did you leave the Church, what was such an offence?
It wasn't the church that caused me to leave, at least not the congregations. It was the god. It failed to deliver on its promises, which made it clear that it didn't exist.

After several years of a good faith effort, it was eventually no longer possible to suspend disbelief - something I did for the first several years of my Christian experience. I did that to give the god a chance to reveal itself if it existed, and for the apparent contradictions and errors in the scripture to become sensible with the passage of time. That never happened. There was clearly no holy spirit dwelling in people - no gifts of the spirit. And there was no protection from harm for the faithful, no answering of prayer. In short, there was no evidence of a god.

So, with a fond farewell, the church and I parted ways.

It wasn't until decades later that I came to see the problems with the church, first with the rise of the "moral majority," then with the Bush Jr.years, and finally with my Topix experience, which has been the most revealing.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#200722 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Are their consciences seared?
They may lack the circuitry to have a real one.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#200724 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Looking for new bathhouse companions?
Do you not realize that this is a (feeble) attempt to mock homosexuals?

Think about why you post something like this.

You may say it's to mock me, not homosexuals. If this is the case, how does this mock me? Do you think I'll be offended, or that I'll look bad in others' eyes, or what?

I'm asking you seriously. Don't deflect or make some joke of it--that will be a poor reflection of you.

Fennario

#200725 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
If "faith is a guess" then almost all of what we know is a guess since it requires faith to do science and history.
There is no part of science that is not supported by evidence, including its philosophical underpinnings - materialism, empiricism, rational skepticism, falsifiability, etc.

Fennario

#200727 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Invective - insulting, abusive, or highly critical language. That's about all Jim brings to the table.
With encouragement and constructive criticism, he will do better.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200728 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't the church that caused me to leave, at least not the congregations. It was the god. It failed to deliver on its promises, which made it clear that it didn't exist.
After several years of a good faith effort, it was eventually no longer possible to suspend disbelief - something I did for the first several years of my Christian experience. I did that to give the god a chance to reveal itself if it existed, and for the apparent contradictions and errors in the scripture to become sensible with the passage of time. That never happened. There was clearly no holy spirit dwelling in people - no gifts of the spirit. And there was no protection from harm for the faithful, no answering of prayer. In short, there was no evidence of a god.
So, with a fond farewell, the church and I parted ways.
It wasn't until decades later that I came to see the problems with the church, first with the rise of the "moral majority," then with the Bush Jr.years, and finally with my Topix experience, which has been the most revealing.
I think I know where you went wrong. You never believed, not whole-heartedly anyway.

Suspending your disbelief for a few years is vastly different than believing, even for a minute.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200729 Jan 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not realize that this is a (feeble) attempt to mock homosexuals?
Think about why you post something like this.
You may say it's to mock me, not homosexuals. If this is the case, how does this mock me? Do you think I'll be offended, or that I'll look bad in others' eyes, or what?
I'm asking you seriously. Don't deflect or make some joke of it--that will be a poor reflection of you.
It's obvious by the length of your post that you're offended, at least in some way.

That was the whole point of my post. Not to mock homosexuals, but to mock you.

It seems to have worked.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#200730 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya, all them 12 year olds out there are so full of reason.......
Yes, they seem to be up here in the North were we mature a little faster than the bible belt kids. You were still believing in Santa, elves, fairies, trolls and God, I'll bet. It doesn't take much reason to realize that worshipping a child murdering, baby killer, genocidal maniac is unreasonable, even if 12 years olds down there haven't developed the skepticism and reason necessary to demonstrate no such God of the bible could exist. Apparently you still haven't developed your reasoning skills, probably never will.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200731 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
With encouragement and constructive criticism, he will do better.
Very well. Then you'll have like six people in your mighty Topix Atheist! army.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 7,482
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Zog Has-fallen 19,074
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 2,218
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 6 hr Insults Are Easier 125
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 9 hr Thinking 2
John 3:16 9 hr Thinking 2
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 9 hr Exodus771 7,502
More from around the web